Options

Any Sci-Fi fans???

Comments

• Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    LOL
    futurama has the best jokes / puns in TV.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    edited August 2009
    Speaking of Blade Runner, this is the convo I always have with people....

Me - "You know, Deckard is a Replicant...."

Other Person " No, he is not..."

Me " :roll:"
    Post edited by EquallyWorthless on
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Speaking of Blade Runner, this is the convo I always have with people....

Me - "You know, Deckard is a Replicant...."

Other Person " No, he is not..."

Me " :roll: "

:lol:

Wikipedia:
    "Actor Harrison Ford has stated that when he and director Ridley Scott were discussing the character prior to filming, they both agreed that Deckard was not a replicant. However, in multiple subsequent interviews, director Ridley Scott has come forward stating that Deckard is in fact a replicant. Ridley also states that Harrison Ford has given up the idea of Deckard being human."
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Options
    Me- "yeah its pretty obvious when you watch the final cut "

other person - " there is a final cut?"

me- " :roll: hulk smash"
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    HULK SMASH

LMAO!
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Options
    Speaking of Ridley Scott, what the fuck happened to him, he makes like 2 of the best sci fi movies EVER, then just buys into his own hype, sticks his thumb up his ass and makes crappy movies like Gladiator for eternity.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    WTF?? Gladiator is fucking brilliant!
    I'm looking forward to his Robin Hood.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy.

Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Cory Doctorow, Douglas Coupland, and Asimov are among my favorites.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    WTF?? Gladiator is fucking brilliant!
    I'm looking forward to his Robin Hood.

There is a lot of words i would use to describe Gladiator and none of them are remotely close to brilliant.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I'm a big sci-fi geek. Love books, movies, short stories, comics everything. I read a lot of Asimov and Philip K Dick amongst others. Dune is my favourite book of all time. there's nothing better than kicking back and watching Blade Runner or 2001 for the umpteenth time too
    So what about you? what's your favourite movie/book/author whatever, and why. Come on, I can't be the only nerd here.
    I've read alot of Asimov. Probably about 30 books or so. That must be 5-10 percent of what he wrote. Love how he eventually brought the Robot and Foundation series together.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    I've read alot of Asimov. Probably about 30 books or so. That must be 5-10 percent of what he wrote. Love how he eventually brought the Robot and Foundation series together.

I couldn't expect less from a fellow agnostic/atheist :mrgreen:
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Options
    well i just watched District 9 and i thought it was a brilliant piece of sci-fi
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    well i just watched District 9 and i thought it was a brilliant piece of sci-fi

It was fucking amazing, one of the best sci fi films i have seen in a few years.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    District 9 isn't out over here yet. Next week I think. Can't wait for it though
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Speaking of Ridley Scott, what the fuck happened to him, he makes like 2 of the best sci fi movies EVER, then just buys into his own hype, sticks his thumb up his ass and makes crappy movies like Gladiator for eternity.
    Didn't they just announce that Scott would be working on a prequel to Alien?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Didn't they just announce that Scott would be working on a prequel to Alien?

Just producing from what I understand, will apparently tell the story of the huge ship thing that is on the planet the original alien takes place on, he is currently working on his version of Robin Hood
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    imdb does have him listed on as the director but anyone can edit imdb.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    imdb does have him listed on as the director but anyone can edit imdb.
    I've heard director rumours from a couple of different sources, but I don't really believe anything yet. Either way, Alien should put to sleep.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I'm a big sci-fi geek. Love books, movies, short stories, comics everything. I read a lot of Asimov and Philip K Dick amongst others. Dune is my favourite book of all time. there's nothing better than kicking back and watching Blade Runner or 2001 for the umpteenth time too
    So what about you? what's your favourite movie/book/author whatever, and why. Come on, I can't be the only nerd here.

I love Blade Runner the movie and a bunch of other sci-fi flicks. Book-wise, I lean much more to fantasy... George RR Martin and JRR Tolkien. I didn't like Dune as a novel, but Ender's Game is amazing. I've recently gotten into a Vonnegut/Philip K Dick kick though and am looking at a bit more sci-fi stuff.
  • Options
    Scott or not, i think an Alien prequel is a horrible idea.
  • Options
    I am half way through Season 1 of Enterprise right now, I don't understand why it got canceled, its pretty good aside from the cheesy ballad in the opening credit sequence. Please No Spoilers.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    I am half way through Season 1 of Enterprise right now, I don't understand why it got canceled, its pretty good aside from the cheesy ballad in the opening credit sequence. Please No Spoilers.
    The cheesy ballad never gets any better. :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    j-bugj-bug Posts: 272
    that probably is the worse theme song ever.agh.

i'm watching Babylon 5.still as good as when i was a kid!

also bought sesons 1 + 2 of Hero's today.looking forward to cracking into them.
    Seek,
    Find be yourself.
    Don't follow the herd.
    Don't repeat in spite of the encores.
    Be yourself.
    Otherwise you'll bore us.
  • Options
    Have you watched Heroes before?
    Don't want to put you off, but only the first series was good. The second series took a dip, but was ok, and the 3rd was some of the worst tv I've ever had the misfortune to watch. I can't believe that show is still going.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I am going to Dragon Con this weekend.... surely that makes me a sci fi geek :oops:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I am going to Dragon Con this weekend.... surely that makes me a sci fi geek :oops:
    I was at the San Diego comic con last year and had a blast.
    Have a great time :)
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    If we weren't going to Arizona next week, I would probably make the 2 hour drive to Hotlanta for the con....always have wanted to attend it, but never have.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

I've been going to San Diego Comic Con for the last 5 years...

It certainly helps to live here. It's crazy, and a absolute great time.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    merkinball wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

I've been going to San Diego Comic Con for the last 5 years...

It certainly helps to live here. It's crazy, and a absolute great time.

that's so awesome! I only travel to see PJ :( not too
    much money to go to comic con, are you going for any specific show or movie or comic?
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Options
    arq wrote:
    that's so awesome! I only travel to see PJ :( not too
    much money to go to comic con, are you going for any specific show or movie or comic?

I usually hit:

Anything Neil Gaiman related (he was there with Henry Selick for the Coraline DVD release)
    Anything Fables related (great comic), and there are usually 2-3 different things fables related.

Otherwise, it's either whatever my kids want to see (Cartoon Network/Nick programming) or the big movie previews. The year they showed the first Iron Man footage was awesome. The last year or two its gotten a lot harder, as people tend to camp out for their favorite shows/movies. For example we wanted to see Mythbusters this year, but even though my daughter and I lined up 2 hours early, we still couldn't get in the room to see their panel. For Comic-Con, you've got to have the expectation you aren't going to see everything you'd like, so I can see where smaller scale conventions (San Diego Comic Con gets 125k attendees) like Dragon Con would be less stressful.