Options

Meaning of Got Some

Comments

• Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    sward wrote:
    I've listened to the song about 40 times now. (Put it on your ipod and listen through ear phones..brings on a better listening experience). Anyway..How the hell can anyone get anything meaning wise out of the song?? You can really only make out 7 words. And from those lyrics, I'm pretty sure Eddie has something and wants to know if we need it. Obama? Politics? Huh?

You can make out pretty much all the words, eventually. You can find the lyrics ... which seem pretty accurate ... elsewhere on this board.

Thanks. I'm off to see. You know..I'm a lyrics person, but this is one of the few times I have been essentially just digging the vibe of the music. Might be why I am liking the song so much. Anyway..off i go in search.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    sward wrote:
    sward wrote:
    I've listened to the song about 40 times now. (Put it on your ipod and listen through ear phones..brings on a better listening experience). Anyway..How the hell can anyone get anything meaning wise out of the song?? You can really only make out 7 words. And from those lyrics, I'm pretty sure Eddie has something and wants to know if we need it. Obama? Politics? Huh?

You can make out pretty much all the words, eventually. You can find the lyrics ... which seem pretty accurate ... elsewhere on this board.

Thanks. I'm off to see. You know..I'm a lyrics person, but this is one of the few times I have been essentially just digging the vibe of the music. Might be why I am liking the song so much. Anyway..off i go in search.

See page 1 of this thread.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    You can make out pretty much all the words, eventually. You can find the lyrics ... which seem pretty accurate ... elsewhere on this board.[/quote]

Thanks. I'm off to see. You know..I'm a lyrics person, but this is one of the few times I have been essentially just digging the vibe of the music. Might be why I am liking the song so much. Anyway..off i go in search.[/quote]

See page 1 of this thread.[/quote]

Thanks dude. Hard to argue that it is political in nature. I'll defer to all the excellent posts debating it, that precede mine. Thanks to the guy who snuffed the lyrics out, sounds pretty bang on aside from a spot or two.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    You're just ascribing your own beliefs on some of these songs, making them about what YOU want them to be about.

Which there is no law against, I suppose.

Not only is there "no law" against it...but it's what you are suppose to do with music.

Anyhow, I disagree with the guy that everything on s/t was political but hey, if he thinks of it that way then great.

Hell, everytime I hear PJ sing 'Rockin in the Free World'...and "now she' sput her kid away....that's 1 more kid that'll never go to school, never get to fall in love, never get to be cool"...I think of it as anti-abortion, I doubt it is though, but that's what I feel when I hear those lyrics.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757

Not only is there "no law" against it...but it's what you are suppose to do with music.

I agree with you to an extent ... but at the same time, most songs are about something specific. Like I said, you can interpret "Alive" anyway you want ... but we know specifically what it's about.

I'm more interested in what Ed is trying to say with his music than what I WANT him to be trying to say.

You want to believe Go is about Ed's truck? Fine.
    You want to believe Pilate is about the ASPCA? Cool.
    You want to believe Around the Bend is about Huck Finn? More power to ya.

But that's not what those songs are about.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I think this is the general idea of the song too. :geek:

possomists wrote:
    Hope is the underdog. I think hope is what they got some of. I think its about people not being sure where they are at these days. The lyrics to me are saying to look at yourself, whats your condition. Snap out of it kinda deal. Get in now before its gone. They are trying to get everyone back on board.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options

I agree with you to an extent ... but at the same time, most songs are about something specific. Like I said, you can interpret "Alive" anyway you want ... but we know specifically what it's about.

I'm more interested in what Ed is trying to say with his music than what I WANT him to be trying to say.

I gotcha.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Don't forget the reason Pearl Jam stopped making videos early on. They wanted everyone to have their own interpretation of the material and not be forced to buy into that of the director. Eddie truly believes there is something sacred to that connection between a listener and the song. I remember him talking about listening to an album with headphones on (in a bean bag chair, if I remember right). He said he would create his own music video in his head.

We all do that in some way or another and we should have our own interpretations of songs we listen to. Depending on who you are the song can mean something very different. The music provokes a feeling from inside the listener.

BTW... Really digging the conversation in this thread.
  • Options
    Don't forget the reason Pearl Jam stopped making videos early on. They wanted everyone to have their own interpretation of the material and not be forced to buy into that of the director. Eddie truly believes there is something sacred to that connection between a listener and the song. I remember him talking about listening to an album with headphones on (in a bean bag chair, if I remember right). He said he would create his own music video in his head.

We all do that in some way or another and we should have our own interpretations of songs we listen to. Depending on who you are the song can mean something very different. The music provokes a feeling from inside the listener.

that's so true...check this out!
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98890
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    for what its worth, I was highly political in 06 when avocado came out, and felt I identified with every song.

The entire album is about various ways to cope with war.

Life Wasted is political. Its saying, I dont want to deal with feeling sad about things, the war, or politics, I want to live life to the fullest. That in itself is a political statement and action. This person decides that the way to live life during war is to seize the day.

Parachutes is about relationships. This person feels dealing with a war, should involve a partner or lover. Again, to act in that manner, to fall in love, or to need the support and love of someone else as a counter to war is a political action

Big Wave you could be right. Ed said it was a break in between the intense songs. That quote along suggests the majority of the record if not all except big wave is political. However ed does seem to view surfing as political, he said something like "any location mentioned in a beach boys song should be considered holy and not messed with". He was talking about pollution.

Unemployable is a political song. Its a person so stressed out with the world around him, with the issues of the day, with his job, with his boss, with trying to pay the bills, that he cant sleep and is going a little crazy. He feels sick. The refrain of scared alive is a political statement especially in these times. Its so easy to want to cower under a desk and hide, or not leave your bed, or go build a bunker. All make sense in these scary times. Yet, this person is scared alive. The war, and politics and their job and how crappy they are treated has made them appreciate life more and not want to waste it. Again, this is a political statement

Gone is overtly political. Its about feeling so pissed off at the war and the world that you want to pull a Into the Wild type move and just move out into the wilderness away from society, away from the city. How could this not be a political song.

come back obviously is about one of the ramones, but I listened to it and immediately thought of someone who lost their friend or lover in the war. Either they died or they are still in the war.

And Inside Job, is about how, in order to deal with the worlds problems, and be an activist, you first have to be able to sort out the issues in your own personal life. You have to find out who you are first, before you can really be a great activist.

Honestly, you are projecting a lot of your own feelings onto some of these songs, making them be about what you WISH they were about. Which is fine. You are free to do whatever you want to with music. If you want to believe Jeremy is about Jason Giambi's brother and Alive is about zombies, that's fine.

But it's not what Ed is writing about.

For instance, on "Life Wasted" Ed has TOLD us what it is about. He wrote it leaving Johnny Ramone's funeral. It's about that feeling you get at a funeral, how you realize life is short and you can't waste it. In that, this song is a spiritual cousin of Light Years. Not Bushleaguer.

Parachutes is indeed about relationships. It mentions war in one line out of many. But war isn't the theme. The song is a straight ahead love song. Not political.

Big Wave is no more a political song than "Surfin' Safari."

Unemployable, even as you've described it, is a SOCIAL song. He's describing a person's impossible situation. He's describing what it does to this man inside. He is NOT advocating a political solution. "Live life to the fullest," as you put it in your synopsis, is NOT a political statement. It's a personal one. Maybe in the sequel, the lead character uses his experience to run for mayor, where he affects change for the poverty-stricken in his town. That would make Unemployable II a politcal song. This song as it stands, is not.

Gone is not "overtly" political. The guy could be leaving town for any number of reasons. You've just ascribed your own feelings to it. There's is nothing in the lyrics that says he's "pissed off at the war." He's just pissed off at life. Maybe his girlfriend dumped him. Maybe he's the guy from Unemployable who lost his job. Maybe the lights of the city are too damn bright. Maybe he's running away from the zombies from "Alive." He just wants to pull an Into the Wild, as you say -- which, by the way, was NOT a political film. The basic human flight or fight response knows no politics. Gone is no more "overtly" political than MFC.

I actually agree with you about Come Back. I don't know who Ed meant it to be about, but its placement on the record -- directly after Army Reserve -- leads me to believe those two songs are related.

Inside Job, again, is about Mike's battle with various addictions. I mean, my God, many of the lyrics are lifted VERBATIM from Alcoholics Anonymous literature. Even the TITLE -- Inside Job -- comes from an AA idea. Ask yourself this: Why would Mike, self-admittedly the least politically motivated member of the band, write a political song for his first turn as a lyricist? He didn't. You're just ascribing your own beliefs on some of these songs, making them about what YOU want them to be about.

You and I have a fundamental disagreement. You seem to view the term "political song" as something like The Clash or Bob Marley or Rage Against the machine. A political song, from what I seem to be picking up, to you, is a song that is explicitly political. I disagree. Sure there are many political songs that are like that. But I also think there are many political songs that are less explicit, more vague, more about a feeling than an issue.

I also think quite frankly, that doing something non political is a political act in itself. To not be into politics and to leave town, to get away from the lights of the city, thats a political decision, it just is. For the lights of this city
    They have lost all feeling
    Gonna leave em all behind me
    Cause this time

thats a political statement. Its just as political if not more political as any Rage song.

Inside Job is very much about struggling and issues and finding your path. But its about an inner struggle as opposed to a national struggle or a public struggle. Again, to decide that the only way things will change, is that you can only change yourself. Thats a political statement.

Unemployable-Well, his wife and kid are sleeping but he's still awake
    On his brain weighs the curse of thirty bills unpaid
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

again, this is a political song. It is dealing with how the world is affecting this individual. Thats the basis for 100 percent of all political songs ever written. The world stresses this guy out so much he cant sleep.

You seem to be suggesting a false premise. That political songs are political songs ONLY if they are up in your face, and blunt and saying "we hate war" or "this policy is wrong". Thats just not the way things are.

Once again, the album is entirely about different ways to deal with the war and the world. Whether that is drugs in Severed Hand, living life to the fullest in Life Wasted, feeling paralyzed in Army Reserve, being unable to sleep Unemployable, or going inside yourself in Inside Job.

I mean, in the interviews for the album, it was quite clear the album was political. They werent discussing much beyond politics in interviews for it.

And I do think Mike is political. Isnt fighting Chron's disease publicly and fighting for funding and recognition of it a political decision?
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Flagg wrote:
    My shot at it. I think it is a thinly veiled push at Obama. Like "get your ass in gear" kind of thing.

Every night with the lights out, where’ve you gone? What’s wrong?
    Every time you can try but can’t turn on your rock song
    I got some if you need it

Get it now, get it on before its gone
    Let’s everybody carry on, carry on
    Turn it up, set it off before we’re gone
    Let’s everybody carry on, get it on

This situation, which side are you on?
    Are you on the ride? Are you falling out?
    Let me know. Come on let’s go, yeah!

Get it now, get it on before we’re gone
    Let’s everybody get it on, get it on

Are you on the rise? Are you falling down?
    Let me know, come on let’s go, yeah!

This situation, what side are you on?
    Are you dropping bombs, are you getting out?
    Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? Yeah!

Get it now, get it all before its gone
    Set it off, turn it up before we’re gone

Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? Yeah

Precipitation, which side are you on?
    Are you drying up, are you a big drop?
    Are you a puddle full of detrimental?

personally, i think it's a push for us ALL, not aimed at just one individual.
    get hopeful, get changing' get in action, take a stand and work towards our collective greater good. and i think too lines such as this:

actually kinda positive...in that, here we are, in the midst of change....many were/are feeling hopeful (probably at least when the lyrics may've be written - tougher times are collectively bringing us some down)....but here we are, let's keep the momentum going!

at least that's my initial impression. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    for what its worth, I was highly political in 06 when avocado came out, and felt I identified with every song.

The entire album is about various ways to cope with war.

Life Wasted is political. Its saying, I dont want to deal with feeling sad about things, the war, or politics, I want to live life to the fullest. That in itself is a political statement and action. This person decides that the way to live life during war is to seize the day.

Parachutes is about relationships. This person feels dealing with a war, should involve a partner or lover. Again, to act in that manner, to fall in love, or to need the support and love of someone else as a counter to war is a political action

Big Wave you could be right. Ed said it was a break in between the intense songs. That quote along suggests the majority of the record if not all except big wave is political. However ed does seem to view surfing as political, he said something like "any location mentioned in a beach boys song should be considered holy and not messed with". He was talking about pollution.

Unemployable is a political song. Its a person so stressed out with the world around him, with the issues of the day, with his job, with his boss, with trying to pay the bills, that he cant sleep and is going a little crazy. He feels sick. The refrain of scared alive is a political statement especially in these times. Its so easy to want to cower under a desk and hide, or not leave your bed, or go build a bunker. All make sense in these scary times. Yet, this person is scared alive. The war, and politics and their job and how crappy they are treated has made them appreciate life more and not want to waste it. Again, this is a political statement

Gone is overtly political. Its about feeling so pissed off at the war and the world that you want to pull a Into the Wild type move and just move out into the wilderness away from society, away from the city. How could this not be a political song.

come back obviously is about one of the ramones, but I listened to it and immediately thought of someone who lost their friend or lover in the war. Either they died or they are still in the war.

And Inside Job, is about how, in order to deal with the worlds problems, and be an activist, you first have to be able to sort out the issues in your own personal life. You have to find out who you are first, before you can really be a great activist.

Honestly, you are projecting a lot of your own feelings onto some of these songs, making them be about what you WISH they were about. Which is fine. You are free to do whatever you want to with music. If you want to believe Jeremy is about Jason Giambi's brother and Alive is about zombies, that's fine.

But it's not what Ed is writing about.

For instance, on "Life Wasted" Ed has TOLD us what it is about. He wrote it leaving Johnny Ramone's funeral. It's about that feeling you get at a funeral, how you realize life is short and you can't waste it. In that, this song is a spiritual cousin of Light Years. Not Bushleaguer.

Parachutes is indeed about relationships. It mentions war in one line out of many. But war isn't the theme. The song is a straight ahead love song. Not political.

Big Wave is no more a political song than "Surfin' Safari."

Unemployable, even as you've described it, is a SOCIAL song. He's describing a person's impossible situation. He's describing what it does to this man inside. He is NOT advocating a political solution. "Live life to the fullest," as you put it in your synopsis, is NOT a political statement. It's a personal one. Maybe in the sequel, the lead character uses his experience to run for mayor, where he affects change for the poverty-stricken in his town. That would make Unemployable II a politcal song. This song as it stands, is not.

Gone is not "overtly" political. The guy could be leaving town for any number of reasons. You've just ascribed your own feelings to it. There's is nothing in the lyrics that says he's "pissed off at the war." He's just pissed off at life. Maybe his girlfriend dumped him. Maybe he's the guy from Unemployable who lost his job. Maybe the lights of the city are too damn bright. Maybe he's running away from the zombies from "Alive." He just wants to pull an Into the Wild, as you say -- which, by the way, was NOT a political film. The basic human flight or fight response knows no politics. Gone is no more "overtly" political than MFC.

I actually agree with you about Come Back. I don't know who Ed meant it to be about, but its placement on the record -- directly after Army Reserve -- leads me to believe those two songs are related.

Inside Job, again, is about Mike's battle with various addictions. I mean, my God, many of the lyrics are lifted VERBATIM from Alcoholics Anonymous literature. Even the TITLE -- Inside Job -- comes from an AA idea. Ask yourself this: Why would Mike, self-admittedly the least politically motivated member of the band, write a political song for his first turn as a lyricist? He didn't. You're just ascribing your own beliefs on some of these songs, making them about what YOU want them to be about.

You and I have a fundamental disagreement. You seem to view the term "political song" as something like The Clash or Bob Marley or Rage Against the machine. A political song, from what I seem to be picking up, to you, is a song that is explicitly political. I disagree. Sure there are many political songs that are like that. But I also think there are many political songs that are less explicit, more vague, more about a feeling than an issue.

I also think quite frankly, that doing something non political is a political act in itself. To not be into politics and to leave town, to get away from the lights of the city, thats a political decision, it just is. For the lights of this city
    They have lost all feeling
    Gonna leave em all behind me
    Cause this time

thats a political statement. Its just as political if not more political as any Rage song.

Inside Job is very much about struggling and issues and finding your path. But its about an inner struggle as opposed to a national struggle or a public struggle. Again, to decide that the only way things will change, is that you can only change yourself. Thats a political statement.

Unemployable-Well, his wife and kid are sleeping but he's still awake
    On his brain weighs the curse of thirty bills unpaid
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

again, this is a political song. It is dealing with how the world is affecting this individual. Thats the basis for 100 percent of all political songs ever written. The world stresses this guy out so much he cant sleep.

You seem to be suggesting a false premise. That political songs are political songs ONLY if they are up in your face, and blunt and saying "we hate war" or "this policy is wrong". Thats just not the way things are.

Once again, the album is entirely about different ways to deal with the war and the world. Whether that is drugs in Severed Hand, living life to the fullest in Life Wasted, feeling paralyzed in Army Reserve, being unable to sleep Unemployable, or going inside yourself in Inside Job.

I mean, in the interviews for the album, it was quite clear the album was political. They werent discussing much beyond politics in interviews for it.

And I do think Mike is political. Isnt fighting Chron's disease publicly and fighting for funding and recognition of it a political decision?

HOLY TYPING BATMAN
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Flagg wrote:
    My shot at it. I think it is a thinly veiled push at Obama. Like "get your ass in gear" kind of thing.

Every night with the lights out, where’ve you gone? What’s wrong?
    Every time you can try but can’t turn on your rock song

Get it now, get it on before its gone
    Let’s everybody carry on, get it on

Are you on the ride? Are you falling out?
    Let me know. Come on let’s go, yeah!

Get it now, get it on before we’re gone

Are you on the rise? Are you falling down?
    Let me know, come on let’s go, yeah!

This situation, what side are you on?
    Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? Yeah!

Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? Yeah

Precipitation, which side are you on?
    Are you drying up, are you a big drop?
    Are you a puddle full of detrimental?

get hopeful, get changing' get in action, take a stand and work towards our collective greater good. and i think too lines such as this:

actually kinda positive...in that, here we are, in the midst of change....many were/are feeling hopeful (probably at least when the lyrics may've be written - tougher times are collectively bringing us some down)....but here we are, let's keep the momentum going!

Can definitely see that see too! Someone told me the "which side are you on" comes from the Pete Seeger song which asks that question to the public.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options

BTW... Really digging the conversation in this thread.

Oh, I know that. Although it would work a whole lot better if Ed would stop, you know, telling us what his songs are about. :)

No, seriously, I want to know what Ed's thinking when he writes these songs. It fascinates me.
  • Options

There's no question Avocado was a "political album." Doesn't mean every song on it was meant to be bent to fit a certain political agenda or ideology. Many were. But not all.
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

Can definitely see that see too! Someone told me the "which side are you on" comes from the Pete Seeger song which asks that question to the public.

tis the beauty of music, eh? we are all free to interpret and infer from it what we wish, what we think and feel....and that will vary greatly from one individual to the next. i just think, while times are TOUGH....they are also still tempered with a lot of HOPE...or at least i hope they are. ;) obviously, completely my OWN thoughts....but i do think ed and the boys are hopeful, and absolutely, encouraging us ALL. i mean, the music itself is so fucking uptempo and positive, not to say one can't purposely contrast music/lyrics....but it just outright FEELS encouraging...go out there....go get some...i got some! :mrgreen: yea, it's growing on me.......;) i really LIKE the message i am feeling off of it, and yea...i can use it. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    So, is a song about a social matter/ill always a political one?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

absolutely.

all songs are political. Britney spears, by choosing to NOT write political songs, thats a political decision.

thats the whole point of the post. Avocado was and is a political album. Read any interviews by the band about it. Its clear what inspired it, was what was going on in the world. That said, how could any song on that album not be political?

The question is how could a song about a social matter or ill not be political. Its speaking on a social matter.

All songs are political. The Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus are making a political decision, in not writing about politics.

I also disagree about Into the Wild. That was a political movie. To decide to live out in the wilderness because you are so pissed off at the way the world is run, hell ya, thats a political decision. Chris didnt say, I am just doing this for the hell of it. It was quite clear, he disagreed with society, how it was run, pollution, capitalism, consumerism, all of it. How is that not one of the most political actions a person can make? I think people are confused. Not all political music sounds like Rage Against the Machine, where every verse and lyrics is dripping with political content and meaning. If I was to write a song, about how alienated and lost I felt, that would be a political song. its not a traditional political song, but, it would be expressing my alienation from modern society and the fact that no politician is discussing that issue.

If you are a songwriter and you decide to, instead of making a sad and depressing album about the state of thw world, you decide to create a happy, uplifting, dance record. Again, is that not a political action and statement?

When people railed at dylan in the mid sixties for no longer writing topical political songs like Blowin, or Hollis Brown, or Hattie Carroll, and he started writing songs like It aint me babe, or Dont Think Twice its alright. Wasnt Dylan's decision to "turn his back" on those people, a political action and statement? Isnt Dont Think Twice or It aint me babe, just as political as blowin?

I think its quite clear. The band, Pearl Jam, on Avocado set out to capture a moment in time. What it felt like to be growing up at this point in time, what it felt like to be American. Is this not a political goal and aim? How can someone capture the essence of what it means to be living in modern society, without it being political? The feeling of modern society and the world situation seeps through every guitar chord, every pounding of the drum, every vocal.
  • Options

absolutely.

all songs are political. Britney spears, by choosing to NOT write political songs, thats a political decision.

thats the whole point of the post. Avocado was and is a political album. Read any interviews by the band about it. Its clear what inspired it, was what was going on in the world. That said, how could any song on that album not be political?

The question is how could a song about a social matter or ill not be political. Its speaking on a social matter.

All songs are political.

So every album is political then. So why even bother labeling any of them?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

absolutely.

All songs are political.

Yeah, this conversation is kind of pointless. I don't neccesarily mean that in an angry way. It's just there's a battle of semantics with this guy that is impossible to settle.

If the guy thinks Michael Jackson's "Thriller" or Shania Twain's "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" are political songs, then I don't even know what to say.

Every band is a political band. Every song is a political song. Every album is a political album.

Okay, then.
  • Options

Yeah, this conversation is kind of pointless. I don't neccesarily mean that in an angry way. It's just there's a battle of semantics with this guy that is impossible to settle.

If the guy thinks Michael Jackson's "Thriller" or Shania Twain's "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" are political songs, then I don't even know what to say.

Every band is a political band. Every song is a political song. Every album is a political album.

Okay, then.

i've got some if you need it. ;)

couldn't resist!
    :mrgreen:

people who choose to bow out of being involved in politics, avoid politics......sure, a political decision, but then that does not make their EVERY action and decision political either. same with those who are involved in politics. one may choose to label it as such, but doesn't make it so. labels are usually more defining and convenient for the labeler...and not necessarily attuned to that which they label.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    So, we are all born politicians, most of us just don't choose to get upto the podium to preach it.
    This is my polotical desision.

I am Mark & I aprove this message.
  • Options
    interesting how people are sort of narrow minded. If someone asks you "are you political, are you into politics?" And you say "no I am not", isnt that a political statement and a political action?

We are in interesting times people. 2 wars, the worst economic crisis since the 1929 crash. When Britney is singing a song about paparazzi or what not, how is that not a political action?

I know its a pointless conversation.

People have been led to believe all political songs sound like Fight the Power or Blowin in the Wind. And I am sorry, but thats just not true.
  • Options

Okay, then.

couldn't resist!

people who choose to bow out of being involved in politics, avoid politics......sure, a political decision, but then that does not make their EVERY action and decision political either. same with those who are involved in politics. one may choose to label it as such, but doesn't make it so. labels are usually more defining and convenient for the labeler...and not necessarily attuned to that which they label.

In these days and times I disagree. Choosing to walk to work instead of taking a car is a political decision. Bringing your own bags to a grocery store is a political decision. We make tons of these choices every day.
  • Options
    interesting how people are sort of narrow minded. If someone asks you "are you political, are you into politics?" And you say "no I am not", isnt that a political statement and a political action?

We are in interesting times people. 2 wars, the worst economic crisis since the 1929 crash. When Britney is singing a song about paparazzi or what not, how is that not a political action?

People have been led to believe all political songs sound like Fight the Power or Blowin in the Wind. And I am sorry, but thats just not true.

Better put, you just don't BELIEVE this to be true. And that's fine. But you might be the only person in the world that actually believes this.

If I choose to walk to work, it might be a political act.
    Or it might be because I am a fatass and I need to lose weight.
    Or it might be because my car is in the shop.

Your logic really doesn't hold up. But it's your logic to do with as you may. I just don't see the point of this discussion if you are going to label every song in the history of mankind to be a political song.

Mary Had a Little Lamb? Man, that lamb was SO oppressed, man.
  • Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    When Britney is singing a song about paparazzi or what not, how is that not a political action?

It may be a political action, but that doesn't make the song about politics.
  • Options

Better put, you just don't BELIEVE this to be true. And that's fine. But you might be the only person in the world that actually believes this.

If I choose to walk to work, it might be a political act.
    Or it might be because I am a fatass and I need to lose weight.
    Or it might be because my car is in the shop.

Your logic really doesn't hold up. But it's your logic to do with as you may. I just don't see the point of this discussion if you are going to label every song in the history of mankind to be a political song.

Mary Had a Little Lamb? Man, that lamb was SO oppressed, man.

Or they want to save $.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    its a political one..that people have to wake up ,to raise up..to make the change...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    cokelogiccokelogic Posts: 139
    I think it's about the lack of consumer spending due to paranoia of this bad economy. Shops are closing, people aren't buying music, people are not going out as often.

And we're left with companies trying to sell their stuff saying, "I got some if you need it".

The bridge about dropping bombs and diplomatic resolve make me think, "if we weren't spending money on this needless war, we'd have some money for our country".

That's my best guess.
  • Options

Okay, then.

couldn't resist!

In these days and times I disagree. Choosing to walk to work instead of taking a car is a political decision. Bringing your own bags to a grocery store is a political decision. We make tons of these choices every day.

it's almost funny how you do not see the irony of you saying people are 'close-minded' when they don't actually agree with your personal pov. :P

actually, for many....choosing to walk to work and bring your own lunch, for MANY is actually a decision of ECONOMICS, and not political. tho it MAY be political too. that's the only difference. the fact that YOU choose to label it 'political' again, does not make it's intent of the labeled so. we do make tons of these choices every day, for a MYRIAD of reasons...some political, some not. your personal definitions actually don't fit for everyone else. how's that for 'open-mindedness'........? ;)

how *I* choose to feel...is how i am

not how you choose to label my choices
    :)

for the record
    i choose
    to walk/public transport it to work
    brown-bag my lunch daily
    bring my own bags to the grocers
    YOU may consider all my actions 'political'.....*I* consider them economical/environmental....and since they are *MY* choices, i think i know my own intent. but you go on ahead with all that open-mindedness and tell us really what we are doing.... :? :lol::mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...