Columbus area Pearl Jam fan gone missing...

Comments

• spike007spike007 Posts: 54
    I'm gonna be at the Cincy show. I'd be happy to check around the area I live in to find prices on shirts. There are several shops around here who I'm sure would love to help out.
    Can ya email me what should be on the shirt? Or at least send me a link so I can print it out to take with me?

Let me know what else I can do
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    Good luck in the search, everyone!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Extremely random thought, but if you order less than "bulk quantity" and give them the story, maybe they'll knock a few dollars off the order? (Assuming you all want more than one for you and a friend.) Remember -- 10 Clubbers get two tickets to every show, so if your "buddy" wears another missing shirt to that same show, then that's equivalent to the message getting out one more time.

Don't know unless you ask, but the worst they'll do is say no.

And there's been no news on the case locally in a while, which is probably not a good thing, but then again, there comes a time in every story when the media moves on. :(

We must remember, SMILE, and keep up the hope! :)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    spike007 wrote:
    I'm gonna be at the Cincy show. I'd be happy to check around the area I live in to find prices on shirts. There are several shops around here who I'm sure would love to help out.
    Can ya email me what should be on the shirt? Or at least send me a link so I can print it out to take with me?

Let me know what else I can do

Cool! :)

There are plenty of pictures of him and a flyer on http://www.findbrianshaffer.com that you could print out!

Lost In Ohio suggested a good idea... find out if they would offer discount for a certain number of t-shirts and from there we could figure out how much for a t-shirt.

We could ask for donations from those who are not even going to Cincy show - I'll even donate some.

Call around, compare prices and get back with us?

Much thanks!! :):D
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
    Just printed the flyer out and am on my way to some of the T-shirt printers around town. Any ideas on approx. how many shirts we'll need? Sizes? I'll report back as soon as I have some more info.
    spike007 wrote:
    Just printed the flyer out and am on my way to some of the T-shirt printers around town. Any ideas on approx. how many shirts we'll need? Sizes? I'll report back as soon as I have some more info.

Good question - I was pondering on that as well.

There were a lot of interested people in the t-shirts when I went to all of 3 shows.

Soo... ahh... I don't know if I'm overestimating, but perhaps 100-200 t-shirts?

Depends on the donations we get to make those t-shirts.

As for sizes....hmm....I think it would be safe to go for Larges - unless a majority of people prefers medium then we probably could split them up into two different sizes.

The t-shirts I purchased were all larges.
    ~Q Magazine

OK- I just got back from a few shops. Here's what I have:
    The printers in my area cannot silkscreen the shirt as there's too many colors and they don't have the capability to print more than 6 colors. HOWEVER- there is a process called DYE SUBLIMATION that can be used to create these shirts. The image would be permanent on the shirt. It's not an iron on decal- the image would actually be dyed into the shirt. Image won't fade or come off.
    We can order shirts in any size however please be aware that they run a little big. Assuming we order 100 shirts- Sizes small, med, large, xl would all cost $15 each ($20 each if you want the image on both sides). Sizes bigger than XL are $2 extra per size (ex. 2XL would be $2 more, 3XL would be $4 more, 4XL would be $6 more, etc...)

The info I posted above is the absolute cheapest I've found so far. Everyone else wants $25 per shirt single sided as well as a $200 set up fee for the image. Please let me know asap if this is what we want to do. The printer is on a 2 week schedule and we'd have to have the info in ASAP to meet the Cincy deadline. Also- the printer needs better pictures than what's on the flyer, as well as a better stickman image.
    Mel- if you wanna call me- I sent you an email with my cell # in it. Please let me know if we can get this going!
    Also- the shirts have to be paid for in advance as well. I will be at the Pitt. and Cincy shows so I can take them with me to both locations for people to pick up.
    Good job, spike007! :)

This is really a toughie - I had hoped it would be less than 20 dollars, that's how much I had to pay for mine, plus taxes.

I thought it was because of the local mom and pop custom tee place. Two of my t-shirts are already fading - due to washing them. :( They were decals, but they did a good job, though.

The best way we can do is to set up a deadline for t-shirt orders, keep track of those orders (I can help if it's a daunting task), and any donations for extra t-shirts.

A thread could be asked for Pitts/Cincy shows and those who will attend the CCFA pre-parties so it would be much easier for you to pass them out to those who ordered, and pass out a limited number of t-shirts ('cuz you would need to give away the rest for Cincy).

I really HOPE this would work out - that more people would be interested in buying t-shirts.

I think it's safe to go for larges (yes, they are a little big) but they are comfortable - at least it was for me.

If anyone wants them in different sizes, hopefully it won't be a problem for them to do it themselves by printing off at http://www.findbrianshaffer.com and pressing it on their t-shirt with an iron. Cheapest way of doing it yourself.

So...since we need two weeks to process those t-shirts, we should set the deadline of orders/donations by Monday, June 8th - or even the 7th since you may plan to leave early on the 23rd? You decide the deadline. :)

I realize five dollars is a big difference for some people, but I think if we have both sides - that would get the message out more, as people are more likely to look at your t-shirt longer in the back (ie, walking behind you), than they would in the front (ie, walking past you).

It's just a suggestion.

*Just to be fair for those who paid for t-shirts, you could set up a donation can for Brian for those remaining t-shirts to be purchased that have not been pre-ordered. Then we can send it to crimestoppers or the woman who is in charge of the website, I hear she may have already set up a donation via paypal. I'll check into that.
    ~Q Magazine

Just to clarify- we can order whatever sizes we want. We don't have to have a specific amount of each size in order to purchase...so please don't think we have to all have a size large. If anyone is interested in ordering a shirt- please send me a PM. I"m also gonna start another thread for the shirts. I will be at the pittsburgh and cincy shows and can be there for the CCFA stuff too. People will need to prepay for their shirts and I will order what we have orders for. I'm not quite sure how to accept payment for the shirts- I have paypal and I can also take money orders. If you have any suggestions- please let me know.
    I'd like to get this going ASAP

OH and we can also offer a choice for printing. People could either buy front and back printed or just one side printed. Leave the $$ choice up to each person.
    IamMine wrote:
    I realize five dollars is a big difference for some people, but I think if we have both sides - that would get the message out more, as people are more likely to look at your t-shirt longer in the back (ie, walking behind you), than they would in the front (ie, walking past you).

Good idea. Add "waiting in the beer line" to the list of when people would be looking at someone's back.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    Right on, Spike007!

You the man!

:)

As I mentioned in my pm - let me know what I can do to help out. :)

May I also suggest posting a link to your thread in both Pitts/Cincy CCFA pre-party threads? :D

Much love,
    Mel
    ~Q Magazine

IamMine wrote:
    Right on, Spike007!

You the man!

:)

As I mentioned in my pm - let me know what I can do to help out. :)

May I also suggest posting a link to your thread in both Pitts/Cincy CCFA pre-party threads? :D

Much love,
    Mel

psst.....I'm female LOL
    OK let's try this again.....
    Link for the t-shirt thread:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=196098
    spike007 wrote:
    psst.....I'm female LOL

I know...I just emailed you saying I was a dumbass. :)

And I AM - ask my husband. :D

;)

Awesome job!!!
    ~Q Magazine

• uprquprq Posts: 15
    I'm just saying that people...children go missing everyday. Why don't they get special attention? Because they don't have a PJ tattoo?

Oh and don't give me an attitude just because I don't agree with this. Yes it sucks he is missing, but good grief. Go into Wal*Mart and you see dozens of pictures of missing people. I just don't agree that this guy gets special treatment just because he has a PJ tattoo on his arm.

Dude, you're an idiot. He gets special treatment for having a stick man tatoo, and for being a Pearl Jam fan because...("heavens singing") THIS IS THE EFFIN PJ MESSAGE BOARD Jackass!
    Swallow seeds on my deathbed;
    dig a hole in, the garden
    Brian's father, Randy, just emailed me a while ago.

He is impressed and pleased with your support. :)

He is hoping to be at the concert.

I hope more will show support by ordering t-shirts on his son's missing.

much thanks and love,

Mel
    ~Q Magazine

• vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    man this is awful. everynight before i go to bed i pray for him to return home safe.

Please don't do that... his family are stressing enough for us all.

Live your life, just keep an eye out?
    vital5 wrote:
    Please don't do that... his family are stressing enough for us all.

Live your life, just keep an eye out?

Never underestimate the power of prayers. :)

What's wrong with taking two minutes to wish for his safe return?

I wish for his safe return and also for other 500,000 missing people, especially children.

This is one person I feel I can help...but lately, I've been paying more attention to missing children I get in the mail or websites.

This is another community that Brian is part of and we can help spread the awareness and hopefully someone out there knows something or has seen him.

Thanks!
    ~Q Magazine

• This is so sad... I was just looking at the site for him and looking thru the pictures... I really hope he's okay. He and his family are in my thoughts and even tho I'm way in cali, i'll keep my eyes open
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    IamMine wrote:
    Never underestimate the power of prayers. :)

What's wrong with taking two minutes to wish for his safe return?

I agree! I've been praying for him too.
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
    BACKGROUND
    Brian Randal Shaffer is a resident of Columbus and a 10 Club member. He was last seen on April 1st, 2006, at bar on the OSU campus. Security cameras captured video of him entering, but not leaving. There were three possible exits and two of them have cameras. The third was under heavy construction and would have been very tricky for an intoxicated person to travel through.

A few days after he was last seen, a homeless person thought he saw Brian. The person was questioned, but didn't reveal much.

He was supposed to take a vacation with his girlfriend a few days before he disappeared.

BRIAN AND PEARL JAM
    As said above, Brian is a 10 Club member. He was planning on taking his girlfriend, Alexis, who he planned on marrying to the show in Detroit. Unfortunately, Brian disappeared before the show and Alexis ended up auctioning the seats off, with the money going to the reward fund. I don't know what the final bid was, but apparently they were pretty good seats.

His dad, Randy, is very impressed by the amount of help the 10 Club and the Pearl Jam community has given. He is going to try to travel to the Cincinnati show.

HELPFUL LINKS
    Find Brian Shaffer. This website has general information about his disappearance on it, as well as a picture of the tattoo.

Link to thread where you can sign up for t-shirts to wear at the CCFA benefits and shows. You do not have to be a 10 Club member to sign up.

Brian's MySpace. This page is being monitored and updated by his family and girlfriend.

Central Ohio CrimeStoppers. Here, you'll find a link to a flyer announcing the fact that Brian is missing and reward information. If you want to print this out, feel free. I personally ask that you get permission from venue management before passing out fliers at any show. The same applies to CCFA benefit fund raisers. I would hate for someone to spend $30 on fliers, only to have them confiscated before you get them all passed out.

Columbus NBC affiliate. This news site is updated frequently throughout the day. Between the three local TV news sites, this is probably the most frequently updated.

Columbus CBS affiliate.

Columbus ABC and FOX affiliate.

Columbus newspaper

FINALLY
    If you have any questions, please post them here and we'll try to answer them to the best of our abilities.

Thank you!!! You did a GREAT job!!!

I'm donating 40 dollars for two t-shirts... you can have one of mine! :)

If you were planning to go to the Cincy show and hitting the pre-party, that is...
    ~Q Magazine

IamMine wrote:
    Thank you!!! You did a GREAT job!!!

I'm donating 40 dollars for two t-shirts... you can have one of mine! :)

If you were planning to go to the Cincy show and hitting the pre-party, that is...

I had it updated about 3 times, and my web browser kept crashing. Finally, I typed a bit up, saved it, typed a bit more, saved that, etc. until it was done.

Unfortunately, I can't make it to the Cinci show (I was hoping they'd hit Columbus sometime), but apparently that doesn't seem to be the case, unless they come in 2007. For Riot Act, they came the year after, although RA was released in the fall and they came in the summer.

So i'm still keeping the faith that they'll be coming sometime soon.
    Anyone else interested in the shirts?
  • cropdustresscropdustress Posts: 4,339
    spike007 wrote:
    Anyone else interested in the shirts?

I might be... :o
    I'll let you know! Hopefully, I'm going to Pitt! ;):D
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
    I might be... :o
    I'll let you know! Hopefully, I'm going to Pitt! ;):D

Just let me know asap as these have to be ordered by this weekend to be ready for the shows. I'll also be at the gorge show if anyone would like to pick one up there
    My tomorrow and weekend are busy, then i'm out of town until the 16th.

Hopefully there'll be some good news upon my return.
    My tomorrow and weekend are busy, then i'm out of town until the 16th.

Hopefully there'll be some good news upon my return.

Likewise... have a great time!

I'm still hoping for more support on the t-shirts....
    ~Q Magazine

• Just read this thread...my god, what his family and friends must be going through. My thoughts and prayers are with them and I hope there is a safe return for Brian.
    Someone said it best (I forget who it was).

When Brian comes back, he has a kick ass new album to listen to!
    http://www.nbc4i.com/news/9337457/detail.html?subid=10101341

Missing Student's Father Takes Polygraph, Tapes Commercial
    Commercial To Air On Local Cable TV

POSTED: 5:54 pm EDT June 7, 2006
    UPDATED: 6:59 pm EDT June 7, 2006
    Email This Story | Print This Story
    COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The father of a missing Ohio State University medical student said he is taking several bold steps to find his son, including taking a lie-detector test for police.

Randy Shaffer said he is getting uncomfortable because OSU medical students and undergraduate students are nearing the end of the term. Shaffer said he doesn't want them to leave the area and forget that his son, Brian, is still missing, NBC 4's Holly Hollingsworth reported.

SLIDESHOW: Images Of Brian Shaffer/Case

Police said that Randy Shaffer was among a group of people who took a polygraph exam last week as a fact-finding tool.
    Click here to find out more!

"I don't have anything to hide. Why wouldn't I want to do one anyway?" Randy Shaffer said.

That's the same approach that Randy Shaffer is taking with a new endeavor -- taping a TV commercial.

Randy Shaffer went to a studio to tape a plea for more information. That plea will be carried out on local cable TV. The airtime will be paid for out of funds donated to help search for Brian, Hollingsworth reported.

"I mean it was donated for the cause ... to promote and further (the efforts of) finding Brian. That's what it's all about," he said.

In the midst of the developments, Brian Shaffer's fellow students marked their advancement into the clinical studies of their third year with a special ceremony at OSU. Randy Shaffer attended the ceremony in his son's absence.

Randy Shaffer said the bittersweet moment was tempered by the help of strangers, including a new Web site that was created by a woman out of state to assist in the 9-week-old search.

Brian Shaffer, 27, was last seen in front of the Ugly Tuna Saloona on North High Street in the South Campus Gateway area early on April 2.

Police said Shaffer was out with friends who were celebrating the start of spring break.

The men headed to the Ugly Tuna at about 9:15 p.m. At about 10:30 p.m., Shaffer spoke to his girlfriend over the phone, a friend said.

About 30 minutes later, the men walked to the Short North Tavern, where they had a few drinks.

At 11:40 p.m., they walked to another bar. Then, at about 1:15 a.m., they returned to the Ugly Tuna.

Brian Shaffer was last seen on surveillance cameras at about 2 a.m., NBC 4 reported.

Police said that none of Brian's bank or credit cards have been used since he disappeared.

Brian Shaffer is 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs between 160 and 165 pounds. He has hazel eyes and has a tattoo of the Pearl Jam symbol on his upper right arm.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at 614-645-8477 or 877-645-8477. Callers will remain anonymous.
    ~Q Magazine