Wash

Comments

• little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    I am giving this song a HUUUUGE B-U-M-P

I have been listening to this one more recently and I am falling in love alll over again!

So sexy and yet heartfelt, as originally stated...

WASH MY LOVE WASH!
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I love love LOVE the Mexico '03 version. "Oh who planted...El Diablo seeds"

Great song, prefer it live though.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• WashMyLoveWashMyLove Posts: 804
    I definetly agree with you. Eddie voice sounds sexy in this song. I love the version of the alive single. Is the best in my opinion.

I sure need someone to wash mine.
    :P
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Anyone ever wonder if there is an anti-interracial-coupling thing going on here? see:

I'm white on the outside, though I stray (narrator in song hooks up with black girl) and then:

back to the clean form, to the pure form. wash my love.

Oh please let it rain today. This city's so filthy. Like my mind in ways.
    Oh it was the time. Like a clean new taste.
    Smiling eyes before me and tears from my face.

Wash my love. Wash my love. Wash my love, yeah.

Sin for sale. Buying just a need. O who planted all the devils seeds?
    And what's the truth? And the truth that lies at home.
    It's on the inside and I can't get it off. Yeah.

What's clean is pure. But hey, I'm white on the outside. Though I stray.
    What she don't know today might kill us both tomorrow. Bring it back someway.
    Bring it back, back, back... to the clean form. To the pure form.

Wash my love. Wash my love. Wash my love. Wash my love.
    Wash my love. Wash my love. Wash my love. Yeah
    Wash my ...wash my...wash my love....yeaaaaaaahhhhhhh

just always seemed damn close to a condemnation of mixing the races. not that it would bother me: I don't necessarily judge an artist by the thematic or idealogical content of their art, only how well they pull it off, especially in a situation like this, where the narrator may very well not be Ed.

I think it means that he ain't white on the inside .

White being a symbol of purety and innocence.
    So he is white on the outside, if you were facing him you could see him being white. You would think he is a good clean cut fellow who walks the line, doesn't step outside of the pattern to witch society thinks he should stick.
    He looks like an exceptable dude. Yet you can't see his inside. You don't know of his dark side.
    He strays means in my opion that he is tempted to follow his "darkside".
    He's not content with the the road his life is on, but he doesn't feel there is much he can do about it. So he is tempted to flee and hide from the truth. When he's done so he's sorry and wishes he could make it undone.
    He's affraid that he has put to much at risk and will lose what is dear to him.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    *bump* for a song that always gets me......

yeah. :cool:

btw - just an aside. now with the *official* lyrics on the pearljam.com site...find it interesting? amazing how wrong i was in many tunes. granted, ed can be fairly inaudible at times...but even so. i definitely thought it was "inches from my face." interesting........ however, still, wowza for this tune!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    *bump* for a song that always gets me......

yeah. :cool:

btw - just an aside. now with the *official* lyrics on the pearljam.com site...find it interesting? amazing how wrong i was in many tunes. granted, ed can be fairly inaudible at times...but even so. i definitely thought it was "inches from my face." interesting........ however, still, wowza for this tune!

it is 'inches from my face' well on lost dogs anyway.
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • dreamncolordreamncolor Posts: 380
    Omarama wrote:
    it is 'inches from my face' well on lost dogs anyway.

yea, sure sounds like it. however, the *official* lyrics on the pearljam.com site say otherwise. :o eh well, i prefer 'inches from my face'....far better imagery imho. anyhoo..........yea...........wash my love....beautiful. :D
    i'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • imspinninimspinnin Posts: 933
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Look at it from a different perspective, it could be someone with HIV trying to hide it from new lovers, white as in snow white is a metaphor in some books for purity, so the main character is trying to appear as without HIV, so more disease "devil's seed" can be sown. I haven't heard this yet, now I'm intrigued, and I'm sure my interpretation will change tomorrow.
    that's it...I've always thought of it in that way...Go Ms. Haiku:)
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
    This song makes me wanna..... oooooh i don't know!

It just gives me the chills when I hear it

:D:D:D:D:D:D <---- for wash!
    20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
    I melt when Ed takes a DEEP inhale on lost dogs...

What she don't know today might kill us both tomorrow "inhale" bring it back some way...
    Damn it's felt to the core...

WASH MY LOVE...WASH MY LOVE...WASH MY LOVE
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.
  • OmaramaOmarama Posts: 267
    yea, sure sounds like it. however, the *official* lyrics on the pearljam.com site say otherwise. :o eh well, i prefer 'inches from my face'....far better imagery imho. anyhoo..........yea...........wash my love....beautiful. :D

i know what you mean about far better imagery lol.i guess on all the other versions the pearljam.com lyrics are right
    Monty Got a Raw Deal

" makes much more sense to live in the present tense "
  • TrickettTrickett Posts: 2
    the Lost Dogs version is amazing - not that the other version isn't. When I first heard it it was on the Special Edition of Ten with Dirty Frank and Wash as European bonus tracks. Didn't strike me as much until I heard the Lost Dogs version and everytime I hear it it stops me in my tracks. It's one of those PJ songs, like Sad and Garden IMO, that just have the ability to really move you.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
    .... by the way, it says BALLS on your face
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    whats clean is pure but hey!

iam still white on the outside!
  • Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    they opened the Ottawa show with this song, and it was awesome....my friend loved it too, I think it was the first time he heard it live....
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    This is such a good fucking song. How did it get cut from Ten?! I always think of water hearing that sweet guitar riff (duh!) and love the lyrics. I can't express how good the fucking lyrics are. And the bass fits perfectly, just a great, great, fucking song. Listen to it all the time.
    i really, really, really want to hear this again - up close and personal tomorrow at irving. *chills* can never get enough of this tune.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I'm currently blastin the gorgeous/sexy song right now...as I periodically stare out my window at the pouring down rain. :o Whew! *magic* Wow! Seriously what a feeling...what a song. So clean & pure!! It really, really is. :o

I am praying to the PJ gods that I finally get to experiene this live in '06! I'll pray for you too decides2dream.:)

LOVE IT!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    I'm not as emotional about music as many of you appear to be. However this song is one of many Pearl Jam songs that I love. In-fact often I will have a singing session in which I sing to this song aswell as others.

My interpretation without putting any thought into it was wanting to wash the love away, as in to overcome the hurt of a past relationship. However now that I have read over the lyrics, it does appear to be more closely related to HIV or some other STD. Also consider that 'devil's seeds' in a biblical sense has been interpreted as 'homosexuality' though I doubt that is the reference in this song.

I have this song on the album Ten along with Dirty Frank and Alive (live). It was a replacement for the original Ten album which was stolen from me.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:

I am praying to the PJ gods that I finally get to experiene this live in '06! I'll pray for you too decides2dream.:)

LOVE IT!

Ooooh...my....god! :o!!!! My prayers where answered! It finally happened.....and the feeling that has WASHed over me is one that won't ever go away. What a way to open a show. This feeling?! Holy shit. The beauty, the sexiness...all of it just sparkling through you...washing your soul. :o High as a damn kite. Whew! To finally experience this song live?!? Wow! :o *tears up* And the ending?! Where he explodes?! :eek: Ahhh! Unbelieveable. THANK YOU PEARL JAM! Supernatural beauty going on here. Beyond words....

(((THANK YOU, THANK YOU PEARL JAM))))

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Ooooh...my....god! :o!!!! My prayers where answered! It finally happened.....and the feeling that has WASHed over me is one that won't ever go away. What a way to open a show. This feeling?! Holy shit. The beauty, the sexiness...all of it just sparkling through you...washing your soul. :o High as a damn kite. Whew! To finally experience this song live?!? Wow! :o *tears up* And the ending?! Where he explodes?! :eek: Ahhh! Unbelieveable. THANK YOU PEARL JAM! Supernatural beauty going on here. Beyond words....

(((THANK YOU, THANK YOU PEARL JAM))))
    waaahhh...I've never heard WASH live:(
    Hey VEDHEAD27...what's up girl?!? ;) How's it going?? I'm the gal from Boston 1, with the Given to Fly corset...just want to say..."Hellllooooo":)
  • kike_gottkike_gott Posts: 63
    i'm listening to it right now...mmmm.....soooooooo sexy...and his voice...excuse me, gotta go.
    kike_gott wrote:
    i'm listening to it right now...mmmm.....soooooooo sexy...and his voice...excuse me, gotta go.

EXACTLY.

it cant be said enough ;)....sexiest...fucking...song. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I'm not as emotional about music as many of you appear to be. However this song is one of many Pearl Jam songs that I love. In-fact often I will have a singing session in which I sing to this song aswell as others.

My interpretation without putting any thought into it was wanting to wash the love away, as in to overcome the hurt of a past relationship. However now that I have read over the lyrics, it does appear to be more closely related to HIV or some other STD. Also consider that 'devil's seeds' in a biblical sense has been interpreted as 'homosexuality' though I doubt that is the reference in this song.

I have this song on the album Ten along with Dirty Frank and Alive (live). It was a replacement for the original Ten album which was stolen from me.

I've always thought this song was about adultry. Your interpretation makes sense too though.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I may be coming from way out in leftfield, but I see the song as being about the Seattle music scene when it was written and the band's struggle (if that's the correct word) to find their place in it.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    One of the best PJ operners. The one they played on Mexico night 3 (2003) was unbeleivable!!! One of my favs from that era.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    mole1985 wrote:
    One of the best PJ operners. The one they played on Mexico night 3 (2003) was unbeleivable!!! One of my favs from that era.

it's such an EXCELLENT opener. holmdel 2003, what an amazing treat. :)

that said, i find it so amazingly interesting, all the various interpretations for this song. while sure, i do believe most lyrics are very open to interpretation...this song, for me, seems one of the most direct lyrically. so it's just VERY cool to read these wildly different views of it. very, very cool. :cool:

i have only heard it live, once...at said holmdel show. i really hope i get to hear it in italy. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    This song is in my head right now.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • I think Wash is about a drug addiction.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • Because of this thread, I'm going to listen to wash while taking a bath. Because (this may sound weird):

I use a dipper in taking a bath. So "Wash...." is just in time to the splashing of water while i take a bath...

Joking aside: It's a very poetic song in the sense that the listener values the imagery as high as the meaning behind the imagery. Which means it doesn't matter whether we have different opinions about the song, it doesn't matter whether we really know the meaning behind the song, what matters is that we all agree upon the images presented in the song. And that's beautiful. The poetic function in forms of art should be valued highly, like in this song.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    i love it when Ed says - yeah yeah yeeaaah