Options

*** DC Fanviews Here 6/22/2008 ***

Comments

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    So glad I made the trip. For the 1st encore alone. Had an absolute blast and wouldn't trade a second of it. Section 111, but with a 402xxx, they were much much better than I was expecting. Thought I was getting a way way way back floor seat, which is the worst... what kind of numbers get those seats anyway? Right up on the side was a fantastic view of the stage and the crowd, which is of course almost just as entertaining to watch as the band itself. Highlights for me were Come Back, Sad, and Severed Hand. I don't care how many times I hear it, which is 4 times in 4 shows now- 2x as openers, Severed Hand is always un-fucking-believable. Love that song, especially live. Wouldn't care if it's on every setlist I attend. Beautiful experience.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    ok wow what a night.... This goes down as my favourite pearl jam show in my opinion it beats Gorge 1 which I attended. I thought the setlist wasn't absolutely outstanding but my god the crowd was so up and about I couldn't believe it.. Ed and the band played and played because of this. This is a clear example that you can't always look at the set list and judge the show although.. they did play some great stuff I got shit, u, you are, watchtower, grievance, HTI, come back, sad, RVM, who you are and crazy mary. I have never seen a crowd like last night and it was my 11th pj concert. I was a little surprised how good the show was thinking they would save it up for the last shows in the upper north-east but no the crowd loved pj and pj loved the crowd back. We had great seats section 111 to the side could see the whole stage perfectly and the crowd really took to the band. All I can say is bring on Hartford because pj are in as good a form as I have seen.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    danavita wrote:
    You're right. I thought it was Black, cuz it went on FOREVER! Loved the cig/wine breaks!!! At one point I was singing the "doot doot doo doo . . . " Thought I was the only one til I stopped . . . and heard everyone else still singing . . .

yes! black was simply amazing. i've never felt such a high before, i can't believe how much passion everyone in the room was putting into it. and eddie just standing there with his arms open, i couldn't have said it better myself. your review hit me 100%. oh, cig/wine breaks... hilarious! loved him dancing around in the back and waving to everyone. he really lives for the moment.
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    Last night I passed the torch to my 12 yr old son and I couldn't have done so at a better show. We danced and sang our hearts out in Sec 111 with other great 10c members. He was totally blown away since many of his favorite PJ songs were done especially Evolution. His first PJ show will be etched forever in his mind. The vibe between band and crowd was in complete synch. Great show and wonderful time! Black was unbelievable. Thanks guys for showing my son how it should be done! One of the best I've seen.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    Last night I passed the torch to my 12 yr old son and I couldn't have done so at a better show. We danced and sang our hearts out in Sec 111 with other great 10c members. He was totally blown away since many of his favorite PJ songs were done especially Evolution. His first PJ show will be etched forever in his mind. The vibe between band and crowd was in complete synch. Great show and wonderful time! Black was unbelievable. Thanks guys for showing my son how it should be done! One of the best I've seen.

Seems like 111 was the place to be! Was a great section to be a part of for sure.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    I agree with most of the reviews here . This was a good not great show. We sat in section 111 row q with a ten club number of 395xxx it sounds like we did not do to bad on our seats. We drove to D.C. from Indiana so we might have had to high of expectations considering what it took to get there. Come back was great to to hear unfortunately Evacuation was the song I really wanted to hear but oh well! D.C. is a very nice city to visit but can get a little scary at night with the homeless situation. Oh well show number 7 and counting can't wait for the next tour!
    Remember Everyday To Love And Do It Openly Please Spread The Jam
    Noblesville 1998,2000,2003,2010
    Toledo 2004
    Cincy 2006
    Washington D.C. 2008
    Ed In Nashville 2009
    Chicago Night One 2009
    Columbus 2010
  • Options
    Section 111 Kicked ass we were in row Q seats one and two. Sorry to the guy in front of me I spilled some beer on his shoulder my bad man!
    Remember Everyday To Love And Do It Openly Please Spread The Jam
    Noblesville 1998,2000,2003,2010
    Toledo 2004
    Cincy 2006
    Washington D.C. 2008
    Ed In Nashville 2009
    Chicago Night One 2009
    Columbus 2010
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    Can someone please tell me if there was a tag behind daughter, and what it was?
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    bgpowelllbgpowelll Posts: 4
    I was in Section 112 Row L thanks to 10C. The show was awesome. DTE and RVM both got great crowd participation. Aside from the 400 level behind the stage which I don't think they sold it didn't look there was a seat to be had.
    I have seen them 6 times and last night was the best.

I can't wait for them to come back through town again.
  • Options
    soulshinesoulshine Posts: 120
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I must have been at a different show ...

I thought the show last night was average at best.

The setlist was incerdibly bland. No More + Last Kiss was the worst 1-2 punch in encore history. The crowd (despite Ed commenting on how great it was a couple of times) was no better than average. And, worst of all, my section was terrible! Anyeone in the 178XXX range of 10C # should be embarassed about last night. It was dead in my section. The guys in front of me acted like they had no idea what "Sad" was. And there were maybe 3-4 people in Section 120 that even seemed like they had a good time.

The show was just flat. Setlist, crowd, my section specifically, and overall energy. It did nothing for me.

The icing on the cake was Evacuation ~ the only song played that I had never heard (and really wanted to hear) and it was stopped half way.

Only good thing about the show was the length. Good to see more than 7 or 8 total songs in the encores.

I've been to 25 shows now and this was definitely in the bottom 10, probably close to the bottom 5.

Glad to see that everyone else had a great time though. I was hoping it was just me :)

I would have been one of the ones in section 120 (row b) that had a fucking blast. The couple in front of me SAT down the entire show, and yeah, our seats were fabulous. I felt like the dudes to the left of me were the only other ones rockin out (hey Matt and Ward??)....but anyway, had a great time. I was in columbia where ed may have been a little tipsy, a little more playful and a better setlist IMO, but DC had it's great points. Black was one of the best I've heard and the crowd response with it was great...I got shit was great for me, When GTF came on I could feel the floor moving and may have been my fave for the night.... mikes solo ending YL was a huge plus, as was seeing that kid play with the band. Saw Jeff before the show started side stage and he gave my daughter a peace sign and a smile, and I got a little grin at the end of the night so that was pretty darn cool....as always I wish I was going to another, but will have to wait til next time!! (which I hope is not too far away!)
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need ~ BenHarper

http://www.myspace.com/soulshine70
  • Options
    melpetamelpeta Posts: 46
    Polish point of view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpE6ahOd5E8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkUdxSTULNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym9A8osJv6I

Great show. I was surprised with no general admission for the pit. We still have that in Europe.
    Met some really cool people!!!

cheers
  • Options
    radial21radial21 Posts: 227
    I thought the show was amazing. Show #10 for me and it probably ranks #2 only behind the epic State College '03 marathon. What energy from the crowd and the band! It was so hot on the floor early on but that didn't stop anyone from going nuts. I'm amazed at some people's criticism of the setlist. Just because they aren't playing something new and rare each night doesn't make it a bad setlist. I thought tonight was a great set. If you would have told me before the tour that i would see Hard to Imagine, I Got Shit, Light Years, Who You Are, Sad, Come Back, U, and I'm Open i would have gone nuts. This was my only show of the tour and i'm glad they played some new songs that i have never heard before. Besides, the energy in the building was what made this show. Everything that has been said about RVM is dead on, i can't describe how insane it was. Watchtower might have been the highlight of the evening for me, they tore that up and the people around me went nuts too. Great show! Hope everyone at MSG and Boston can have an experience as great as the one i had.
  • Options
    milanmilan Posts: 447
    Just got back home - to Berkhamsted England

Why sell seats in Blocks 400 - I was on ticketmaster at 1 second after opening and had seats allocated within 10 seconds but they were in the 400s. Fucking useless - at least they shouldn't charge the same price for these as for other tickets,

Sound quality was absolutely rubbish. The Utube videos sound better than we heard.

Great set, great energy, great crowd response, bet the bootleg is fantastic but for me a complete waste of a lot of fuckin money.

Thank god we caught the VB show too.

Milan
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • Options
    freshymadfreshymad Posts: 54
    alexers wrote:
    yes! black was simply amazing. i've never felt such a high before, i can't believe how much passion everyone in the room was putting into it. and eddie just standing there with his arms open, i couldn't have said it better myself. your review hit me 100%. oh, cig/wine breaks... hilarious! loved him dancing around in the back and waving to everyone. he really lives for the moment.

Thanks Alexers!
  • Options
    Slag666Slag666 Posts: 35
    My wife and I saw some guy who got backstage before the show and then sat in section 120 (I think). He was bald, had 4 or 5 kids and wife in tow and looked like some sort of athlete. I saw that one of the kids was given a setlist. Lucky bastard.

Anyone else see him? We're trying to figure out if he's "famous" or not. I checked out the Capitals, Orioles, Wizards and DC United websites but had no luck in finding him.
    (enter clever signature here)
  • Options
    Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    milan wrote:
    Just got back home - to Berkhamsted England

Why sell seats in Blocks 400 - I was on ticketmaster at 1 second after opening and had seats allocated within 10 seconds but they were in the 400s. Fucking useless - at least they shouldn't charge the same price for these as for other tickets,

Sound quality was absolutely rubbish. The Utube videos sound better than we heard.

Great set, great energy, great crowd response, bet the bootleg is fantastic but for me a complete waste of a lot of fuckin money.

Thank god we caught the VB show too.

Milan

I totally agree about the sound quality. It was tough to make out Ed's voice during a lot of the songs. Even Mike's solo's sounded a bit off.
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
  • Options
    fxmulderfxmulder Posts: 9
    Glad everyone in section 100 had such a great time. I have a pretty high fan club number, but went to the show excited. Figured no matter what, my seats would be better than Ticketmaster. My fiance and I had been looking forward to this show ever since it was announced. We got to the arena early and snagged our tickets... Section 100. Not great, but still pretty cool. We wandered around the arena in the humid summer heat and found a spot in line. My enthusiasm started waning the longer we stood melting, waiting for the chance to get in the arena. We finally made it inside and went to get a couple of t-shirts.

This is when the evening began going downhill. As mentioned in other threads, the lines were insane with people fighting for posters. There was lots of pushing, shoving, and insults. I was kind of shocked fellow PJ fans would treat each other like that. I finally made it to the front, only to have some guy shove me and yell in my face that he had been in line and should be in front of me. I told him to calm down, and told him we had all been in line. There was no rhyme or reason to the line, it was chaos. The guy calmed a bit and said he was gonna be pissed if he did not get his poster. He felt even better when I told him I was not going to snake a poster. Look, I know that PJ posters are some rare commodity, but c'mon, is it really worth all the pushing and nastiness? They really need to come up with a better method for getting them to the fans. Maybe a poster only line or something. I know people love them, but for my tastes, I thought the DC poster was a bit lame. Last tour's was much better, but to each his own....

Finally made it to our seats and I was getting pretty down. Dealt with the poster fanatics trying to get a t-shirt or two. Got shoved by people, insulted, and had my beer knocked by some guy who got pissed at me when he was not looking where he was going and walked into me. We sat in our seats in section 100 and while I was a bit down after all the craziness and complaining, my fiance stayed positive and tried getting me re-excited for the show.

Just before the band came out, sure enough, every concert goers worst nightmare. A couple of drunk louts filled in the seats directly behind us. I understand getting excited at a show. Its a rock concert for God's sake!! But some people go above and beyond, making it miserable for those around them. When I pay around $150 for tickets to a show, I kinda wanna hear the band I paid to see, not you and your pal singing every song very badly at the top of your lungs!! C'mon guys, have fun but remember to let others hear the show too.

I really will never understand why someone pays all that money to go to a Pearl Jam show, gets hammered and proceeds to spend the entire concert screaming lyrics over the band, talking on the cell phone, and screaming to be heard when Eddie talks. Seriously!?!? Do you really think that everyone would rather listen to you instead of listening to Pearl Jam and Eddie??

I am glad so many people in section 100 had soo much fun. I can honestly say it was the worst concert experience I have ever had. If you are one of the "phillies fans" that was behind me during the show, thanks for sending my fiance and I home early after spending all that money and driving up from NC. I am sure you think it was hilarious and made you better fans to annoy everyone around you like that. I guess we should of enjoyed having you clap your hands right over our heads, smack both of us in the heads repeatedly, scream "WOOOOOOOO" right in our ears over and over, fall over the folks in the seats next to you, and talk through every single song. Yeah, you guys really "Rocked it". Just curious, did you really think everyone preferred to listen to you chant "lets go Phillies", instead of Eddie???

And a special thanks to the venue staff. When we just could not take it anymore and went to the staff for assistance, we were met with "Yeah, I know" in response to our complaints followed by a shoulder shrug and totally ignoring the problem.

Sounds like we missed a great show and there were some "real" fans in the section. Glad everyone else enjoyed it. Our choice was to continue to endure the drunk Philly boys which most likely would have resulted in a serious fight and ejection, get venue staff to help (which we tried), or cut our losses and leave. We chose to leave. We walked out dejected and depressed. We felt robbed of a fun show we really wanted to enjoy. Thanks again to the famous drunks from Philly. You sure do your city proud, and really know how to "Rock".
  • Options
    lateralus963lateralus963 Posts: 381
    myspace.com/annypooh3...

and a few short video's... http://www.youtube.com/user/ewloffredo23
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • Options
    Slag666 wrote:
    My wife and I saw some guy who got backstage before the show and then sat in section 120 (I think). He was bald, had 4 or 5 kids and wife in tow and looked like some sort of athlete. I saw that one of the kids was given a setlist. Lucky bastard.

Anyone else see him? We're trying to figure out if he's "famous" or not. I checked out the Capitals, Orioles, Wizards and DC United websites but had no luck in finding him.

I was trying to figure out who he was myself. He came in right after we sat down and walked backstage with the fam. When they came out the kid had the setlist that I pointed out to the folks around me and they asked to see it, dad laughed and told him to hold on tight, he was very nice. Somebody behind me took a picture of it. I didn't look as I like the element of surprise!! I was thinking an athlete too, but hell, he coulda been somebody's brother or something! ;)

• Options
    Absolutely the best show i've ever been to! It fucking rocked! And on top of that it was me and my boyfriends 1 year anniversary and our first regular PJ show together! The energy was explosive, and the setlist left me in total shock! After every song i just kept saying to myself- "AMAZING!" AND, I got to see my sweet friend Jenny that i haven't seen since Lolla last year! Hi Jenny and Greg!! Luv you guys!!
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    Seems like 111 was the place to be! Was a great section to be a part of for sure.

certainly was the place to be... great vantage point and the 10 clubbers were so into it.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    carlin462carlin462 Posts: 24
    Drove in from columbus, OH. It was so worth the drive. I had a first timer with me as well and she loved it. great setlist. 8 years later, I finally got to hear Black in concert.

TJ Mummy,........if you read this, drop me a line so we can share our experiences. How did your first timer like it?
  • Options
    jessykawjessykaw Posts: 29
    fxmulder...I feel your pain. The people around you can make or break a show. I had a douchebag and his girlfriend next to me. I don't even know why they came to the concert. They didn't even get to their seats until 7 songs into the show. Then the guy didn't want to be crowded by the guy next to him, so he stood in front of half of his seat and half of his girlfriend's seat. That made his girlfriend take ther other half of his seat and half of my seat. The girlfriend was on top of me and I couldn't dance, jump, clap...nothing. Kinda took my attention away from the band. They stayed for about 6 songs and then left again. During the encore, the girlfriend returned. Well, I had my fingers crossed that they would play Black since they didn't play it in Virginia Beach. When they started playing it I was thrilled. I pulled up my camera and started recording while I focused on how great the moment was to hear it. Here comes the douchebag plowing down the row, trying to get to his girlfriend to tell her to record it. Of course he falls into me, messing up my recording. I'm pissed and then I look down. He has kicked my bag and knocked my just purchased tour shirts onto the ground. I had to get down on the ground to make sure my car keys and money didn't fall out. It was hard to focus after that. They ended up leaving early again. They probably saw a total of 10 songs. Why come?

I wish I was in section 111 instead of section 113 now.
    Charlotte: 10/4/96
    Virginia Beach: 6/17/08
    D.C.: 6/22/08
    D.C.: 8/17/08 (Vedder solo)
  • Options
    melpeta wrote:
    Polish point of view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpE6ahOd5E8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkUdxSTULNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym9A8osJv6I

Great show. I was surprised with no general admission for the pit. We still have that in Europe.
    Met some really cool people!!!

cheers

cool videos~ :)

Came all the way from Poland for a show??? Wow...and people give me shit for driving 6 hours!

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    my first show of this tour and....FANTASTIC!!! it was ALL i had hoped it to be! i 'warned' my husband that there would be a good deal of rarities played, etc...had him listen to lost dogs on our drive down. ;) great setlist! i was sooo pleased with the balance of rarities and more mainstram tunes...and the band was on FIRE! crowd was stellar as well. LOVED it! makes me even MORE psyched for MSG tonight and tomorrow...the rest of my shows!

also, if i can score a poster at the rest of my shows as easily as i did in DC i will indeed be one VERY happy dreamer!

btw - best quote of the night:
    "It'll be nice to see a little bit of color in the white house."
    :)
    love it!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    my first show of this tour and....FANTASTIC!!! it was ALL i had hoped it to be! i 'warned' my husband that there would be a good deal of rarities played, etc...had him listen to lost dogs on our drive down. ;) great setlist! i was sooo pleased with the balance of rarities and more mainstram tunes...and the band was on FIRE! crowd was stellar as well. LOVED it! makes me even MORE psyched for MSG tonight and tomorrow...the rest of my shows!

also, if i can score a poster at the rest of my shows as easily as i did in DC i will indeed be one VERY happy dreamer!

btw - best quote of the night:
    "It'll be nice to see a little bit of color in the white house."
    :)
    love it!

fantastic alright.. I have to say also it was to meet the people that we met including mr. and mrs. dream :D

• Options
    over_bends wrote:

Hell yeah I was in 111 too...good times.
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    6/19/08 Camden
    6/20/08 Camden
    6/22/08 DC
    6/25/08 MSG
    8/4/08 EV NYC
    8/5/08 EV NYC
    8/7/08 EV Newark
  • Options
    svaughansvaughan Posts: 18
    Never posted here, but after the other night I just had to. First of all, picked up our tickets only to find that we had front row center, just barely to the right of Ed. As the usher checked and re-checked our tickets, gave us special wristbands, and led us to our seats, I just completely freaked out. I'm not sure I've ever been that excited about anything in my whole life. My friend and I just sat there with these stupid grins on our faces, looking at all our neighbors who had the exact same look on their faces. Little did I know the night would get even better, with Ed tossing me his pick after Severed Hand, and his water bottle a few songs later.

I won't repeat what everyone has said about the band's energy and the crowd's, but it's all true. I couldn't believe how long the encores went on; after every song I figured that must be it and the guitars would come off, but they didn't seem to want to stop playing. I talked to Jake's mom before the show and said he'd probably get a tambourine -- never guessed he'd get pulled up on stage. During Alive, I think it was, Ed was asking him if he played guitar and if he could play an Am chord. Next thing you know he's on stage, with Stone playing on his knees in front of him. What a great moment.

Someone else mentioned Ed doing the Into the Wild pose at one point; I think someone in the front row had the shirt on, so Ed struck a pose and had a good laugh about it. There are too many other things to mention, including the You trilogy, the most kick-ass RVM ever, Sad, Luke Russert rocking out during Alive, and Ed practically fall off the stage trying to hand a pick to the kid next to me; I can't even begin to cover it all. Just an amazing night. Thanks Pearl Jam, and thanks Ten Club!
  • Options
    Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    jessykaw wrote:
    fxmulder...I feel your pain. The people around you can make or break a show. We had a GREAT group in 111 - everyone around us was dancing and singing the whole show. If we bumped into each other we just said sorry and kept on rocking. No bad vibes and nobody sat the whole show. Met a bunch of really cool people. Even my 12 yr old was singing and pumping his fists. My row was mostly from Pittsburgh and are longtime 10c fans. Wish you could have joined us!
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.