Options

*** VH1 Rock Honors Fanviews 7.12.08 ***

Comments

• Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    Sean Penn introduced Pearl Jam and mentioned the album Who Sell Out and said they never did..not unlike the next band..jokingly..hope the VH1 audience gets the rib..

I thought Sean Penn said something about the Who never really sold out unlike some music television stations (I'm guessing he obviously meant MTV). I don't think he was referring to Pearl Jam (why would he joke about them selling out?). I heard other people talking about Sean's stab at MTV so I'm sure that's who he was referring to. Anyways, Pearl Jam were awesome. They poured everything they had into their two songs for the night. I also noticed another keyboard player in Boom's spot. Maybe he just couldn't make it down for the taping?

Other notes: David Duchovny began the show by introducing Foo Fighters. The lead singer from Supergrass sung a song with the Foo Fighters. Mila Kunis (from that 70s Show) introduced Incubus and she had to say her lines twice (she was sitting in the audience) because she was slouching or something (the producer asked her to sit up straighter or something like that which was funny).

Pete cut off "You Better You Bet" because one of the monitors was too loud. He said something like it was "deafening". Roger said, "Well, we'll just have to start again! (crowd cheers).

The Who ended with "Tea and Theatre" (off their latest album) with just Roger and Pete on stage. I was expecting an all-star jam next to end the show but that was it. Started around 8:15 and went until about 10:30. Great show with very cool lighting. Can't wait to see it on TV this Thursday.

http://blog.vh1.com/2008-07-13/highlights-of-vh1s-rock-honors-the-who/
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,753
    quasi wrote:
    I thought Sean Penn said something about the Who never really sold out unlike some music television stations (I'm guessing he obviously meant MTV). I don't think he was referring to Pearl Jam (why would he joke about them selling out?). I heard other people talking about Sean's stab at MTV so I'm sure that's who he was referring to.

i took it as MTV. i was sick as a dog today but at the last minute decided to catch the show and i'm glad i did. every penny was well spent. foos opened and it only got better and better. i was really impressed with how incubus sounded on their songs. tenacious d playing squeeze box was just perfect. and as far as pearl jam...they nailed their songs. hadn't seen them since the gorge show and they left us definitely wanting more. the crowd was really loud for them. i'm sorry, but there will be no version to top the way they performed reign o'er me...especially with the stings backing them up. i feel lucky to have witnessed such a beautiful version of the song. can't be beat. they also tore up the real me with eddie tossing the mic into the crowd and walking off like a badass rockstar. :D what can i say about the who? their set rocked and they capped off a perfect night for me. it was nice seeing cosmo, coldie, logan, anne rene, sigh, pixie, sen, marcia, guy, yield, and everybody else i talked to and hadn't seen for a long time. truly a great night! don't it make me...:)

oh, and adam sandler's song before introducing the who was not only funny but spot on. can't wait to watch the show again on thursday.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    Great show. Plus I got to meet Keifer Sutherland on the street. Cool guy.
    10-02-94, 11-07-95, 07-11-98, 07-16-98, 10-27-00, 10-28-00, 06-06-03, 10-25-03, 07-13-06, 07-16-06, 10-21-06, EV solo 04-05-08, Rock Honors 7-12-08, 10-06-09, 10-09-09, 10-23-10, EV solo 07-09-11, EV Bridge School 10-23-11
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Amazing, unreal performance. Pearl Jam owned. The Who were spectacular, but PJ was at the absolute top of their game and it showed. LROM was so unbelievably powerful with the full string arrangement.
    I don't know who the keyboard player was but my guess is that he was there because Boom couldn't have nailed the intro on the grand piano. That song calls for a trained musician (no offense, Boom).
    Everyone else was great. Even Incubus did a pretty good job. Can't wait to watch it again on TV.
    Oh, and Sean Penn was definitely poking fun at MTV and VH-1. That's how I took it anyway. Cool intro.
    Oh, and Pete is a complete badass. He was playing hard and could not have cared less about the cameras/Who idolizing.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    jomo297jomo297 Posts: 41
    The Flaming Lips in a bubble moment was a Spinal Tap moment..I knew he would have a hard time getting back from the crowd and then getting out of the bubble..

Foo Fighters Rocked their two songs

Incubus did an excellent version of I Can See For Miles and I Can't Explain

Flaming Lips did a Pinball Wizard/See Me Feel Me medly

Tenacious D Squeeze Box

Pearl Jam absolutely nailed Love Reign O'er Me, and The Real Me..I was so happy to see all 5 of them playing again..Stone was rockin out...

Who opened with Baba O Riley also played The Seeker, Behind Blue Eyes, Who Are You, Won't Get Fooled Again, Join Together, You Better You Bet, My Generation

Sean Penn introduced Pearl Jam and mentioned the album Who Sell Out and said they never did..not unlike the next band..jokingly..hope the VH1 audience gets the rib..

I don't think they did "Join Together" unless I missed something. They did all the other songs you listed plus "2000 Years" and "T and Theater."
    "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me."---RS
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    This must have been the most awesome show. Especially with Matt Cameron and Taylor Hawkins in the same room, let alone Jeff playing The Real Me!!!!!! I can't even imagine how good he must have sounded. And then Pete and Roger to finish. I am so jealous.....
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    You guys just DONT KNOW!!! Im so freakin hyper and happy from seeing the boys that I cant even fully write!!!!! I need to write a review.

p.s it was BRENDAN O'BRIEN on piano tonite....... dont ask questions. :D

I FREAKIN LOVE PEARL JAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOBODY rocks like the boys. N-O-B-O-D-Y.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    This must have been the most awesome show. Especially with Matt Cameron and Taylor Hawkins in the same room, let alone Jeff playing The Real Me!!!!!! I can't even imagine how good he must have sounded. And then Pete and Roger to finish. I am so jealous.....
    It was legendary. I feel honored to have been there.

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    for those checking in late and not wanting to go through 9 pages of posts, here it is again

David Duchovny (introduction)
    Foo Fighters – “Bargain”
    Foo Fighters w Gaz Coombes – “Young Man Blues”
    Rainn Wilson (introducing the Flaming Lips) The Flaming Lips – Medley from “Tommy” (Pinball Wizard/See Me Feel Me)
    Mila Kunis (introducting Incubus)
    Incubus – “I can see for miles”
    Incubus – “I can’t explain”
    Tenacious D – “Squeeze Box”
    Sean Penn (introducing Pearl Jam)
    Pearl Jam – “Love Reign O’er Me”
    Pearl Jam – “The Real Me”
    Adam Sandler (introducing The Who)
    The Who – “Baba O’Reilly”
    The Who – “The Seeker”
    The Who – “Who Are You”
    The Who – “Behind Blue Eyes”
    The Who – “Two Thousand Years”
    The Who – “You Better You Bet”
    The Who – “My Generation”
    The Who – “Won’t Get Fooled Again”
    The Who – “Tea and Theater”
    This land is mine, this land is free, I'll do what I want but irresponsibly

#192XXX
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Yes, and it will premier on VH1Classic next thursday.....
    igotid88 wrote:
    and on VH1

and on MHD in High Def :)
    Brian
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I can't wait to see this on Thursday!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    alexers wrote:
    haha- that is funny
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    ekeel33ekeel33 Posts: 12
    Sean Penn was comparing The Who to Pearl Jam positively. If Sean Penn said The Who never sold out, not unlike this next band, it means the next band never sold out either. If he said The Who never sold out, unlike this next band, it would mean the next band sold out. The use of multiple negatives in his introduction makes it confusing.
  • Options
    I am in LA with a friend, and met Dave in a bagel shop in Encino yesterday at 8:30 am . He had his daughter in tow (she must be 2) so i didnt want to bug him, just asked him what they were playing at the show. He had horrible laryngitis and could barely speak-said they were supposed to play Young Man Blues and Bargain-not sure if that came to fruition. He wasnt even sure he'd be able to sing. I probably blew my chance to ask to get backstage (in which case i would have payed anything for a seat!!) but i didnt feel right asking him....when he was feeling like shit.....and of course i would have paid him little attention to him with the likes of EV, PT and the boys hanging round, not to mention sean penn and jack black...

too bad most of you PJammers out there are too young to have ever seen the who "back in the day"......
    if hope could grow from dirt like me.....

"well I know for sure that if we met up eye-to-eye....a little wine would bring us closer...you and I"...Pete Townshend
  • Options
    ReleaseMe...ReleaseMe... Posts: 494
    for those checking in late and not wanting to go through 9 pages of posts, here it is again

Foo Fighters – “Bargain”
    Rainn Wilson (introducing the Flaming Lips) The Flaming Lips – Medley from “Tommy” (Pinball Wizard/See Me Feel Me)
    The Who – “The Seeker”
    The Who – “Who Are You”
    perfect, thank you....saved me a lot of time
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    SENROCK! wrote:
    You guys just DONT KNOW!!! Im so freakin hyper and happy from seeing the boys that I cant even fully write!!!!! I need to write a review.

p.s it was BRENDAN O'BRIEN on piano tonite....... dont ask questions. :D

I FREAKIN LOVE PEARL JAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOBODY rocks like the boys. N-O-B-O-D-Y.

Glad you had a good time.... one night to remember for sure :) Was Tiffany with you as well?

And you are right I don't think anyone rocks like the boys! :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    LukinFan wrote:
    No Boom tonight :(

Why is this cause for sadness?
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

too bad most of you PJammers out there are too young to have ever seen the who "back in the day"......

Yeah..... I'm sure they were what Pearl Jam is today Live.

I just hope PJ can still rock as hard as the Who when they get into their 60's.
  • Options
    Once again I am blown away by the raw emotion and incredible vibes of PJ! A must for my Tevo back home. Thanks for the preparty thread. We came in from Maui to see the show and met so many cool folks because of that. Thanks Pearlgirl for starting it. PJ fans are the best. They gave us so much Aloha! Special thanks to BeeGirl59 and the cool guy from LA that gave her the ride (sorry bro I forgot your name), and Eric from New York who kept the cocktails coming. Great fun!!!! Call us anytime. You are always welcome!

Aloha and Mahalo,

Bill and Mary
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    alexers wrote:
    God bless trucker hats.

NOT!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    jninejnine Posts: 43
    Am I the only one who noticed someone lost their head?

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q324/wildpearl/Rock%20Honors/62.jpg
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,597
    jnine wrote:

Mike's so electric he has lightning bolts shooting out of his feet.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,363
    jnine wrote:

Forget that... does Jeff have regular length pants on?
  • Options
    wilkinswilkins Posts: 68
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wy1M96sgwE

Every single person has said LROM was their highlight! Can't wait to see this on Thursday, someone better tape this and put it up, as I'll be watching The Dark Knight.
    Keep on rockin'!
  • Options
    inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    i knew brendan would be playing, boom can't play that song (nothing against him, just different from what he does)
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • Options
    Glad you had a good time.... one night to remember for sure :) Was Tiffany with you as well?

And you are right I don't think anyone rocks like the boys! :D

Yeah she was with me. The whole crew was in full effect and it was freakin good times. We saw the commercial for the show as soon as we walked in the door. Its unbelievable we got to be part of that. Im still exxxcited!!!!!! :D

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,013
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    Forget that... does Jeff have regular length pants on?
    :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    r1versr1vers Posts: 244

Foo Fighters – “Bargain”
    The Who – “The Seeker”
    The Who – “Who Are You”

just to clarify that while this is accurate for the most part the foos part is reversed - they opened w/ young man blues w/ dave singing, then played bargain with gaz singing, except for the bridge ("one and one don't make one..") where taylor flawlessly took over
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • Options
    wilkins wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wy1M96sgwE

Every single person has said LROM was their highlight! Can't wait to see this on Thursday, someone better tape this and put it up, as I'll be watching The Dark Knight.

The Real Me was better.... Really rocked