Options

*** VH1 Rock Honors Fanviews 7.12.08 ***

Comments

• Options
    The "TV event" part of all this hurt the show's momentum and flow, but I still think the bands did a great job. Very cool and unique show.

The Flaming Lips tommy medley was great, but the intensity level went up more than a few notches when PJ came out. They definitely blew all the other tribute bands off the stage.

I really hope The Real Me works its way into a few regular PJ shows in the future...
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    pjtaper wrote:
    Why do people keep saying they messed up Won't Get Fooled Again? That song was PERFECT! They did mess up quite a few others, and "You Better" was the one they had tech issues with and started again.
    there were quite a few times when I was singing out loud, loudly, during the who's set and they TOTALLY went to the wrong verse... I was like, "Well, I know the lyrics, I wish they did too"
    Roger has been forgetting the lyrics since the 70s! It's one of those in jokes with Who fans, listen to some of their old boots. That's why everybody just rolled their eyes when he came in at the wrong place on The Seeker.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    I am glad that so many people still get to see The Who, but I think they have cheapened their reputation by continuing to tour in their current form.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I am glad that so many people still get to see The Who, but I think they have cheapened their reputation by continuing to tour in their current form.
    You think they should have called it quits when John died?

I'm not trying to argue or disagree with you. I've had this discussion many times and I know some people feel very strongly about it.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    You think they should have called it quits when John died?

totally
  • Options
    After John's death I don't think they explained very well why they were continuing with the tour. They didn't really explain until the tour was just about over so it made them look crass. It was easier for them to go on after Keith died because there was time for some space for people to grieve and get used to the change.

As I said, I know people have strong feelings about it. People bring this up to me all the time. Apparently they bring it up to Pete a lot as well because he's said fine, wait a few more years and he or Roger will die and there won't be any live Who music.

I have my own feelings and theories about it all. And as one of the dinosaurs who actually saw the Who before Keith's death, nothing will ever compare to the band in their heyday. But you still have the creative genius behind the band and you still have the distinctive vocalist who best interprets their music, plus the incredible dynamics between the two. If it were Keith and John who had survived and not Roger and Pete, it wouldn't be possible for them to go out and perform as the Who 2.
  • Options
    DjoulDjoul Posts: 4
    I think i've only posted a couple of messages on the forum so far but I really want to share what happened to me after the show saturday night.

Well, right after the end of the show (and after I met Kiefer Sutherland in the 205B section ;-)) we decided with a friend to go round behind the concert hall by the tennis courts and we ended up right on the backstage scene, ideal spot to see all the stars few feet from us : Roger Daltrey, Brandon Boyd, Rosanna Arquette, Taylor Hawkins, Sean Penn, Zak Starkey and ... all the pearl jam crew ... Ed talking with sean penn, Matt with Taylor hawkins ...etc
    At one point Stone came to us and we've had a great 15 minutes talk, I asked a lot of questions and Stone answered very patiently. Very nice and simple. So here is some of what came up :
    - the band wasn't happy with their performance of the night (Love reign over me & the real me), they thought they were far better during the soundchecks, stone had some regrets ...
    - no plans for a US west coast tour this year for now. I forgot to ask about a seattle show or a bridge school appearance sorry.
    - they'd like to come back to Europe next year, north Europe more precisely. Were explicitely mentionned by Stone : couple of shows in England, Sweden, Finland and St Petersburg (Russia) ;-)
    - Stone is working on a new solo album. He plans to go on tour to support the album maybe next year, yep ... solo tour !!!

Then we took pictures, Jeff came by and we talked 2 minutes. Later on I get my ticket signed by Matt and Eddie !!!
    During the night we also met Simon Townsend, Dave Grohl and Kris Novoselic
    Great night, feel sooooo lucky, definitely worth the trip
    And now the dream is over, back to the real world ....

For those who may have met me at some occasion I'm Julien, from France (that explains the approximate english ;-)
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    Djoul wrote:
    I think i've only posted a couple of messages on the forum so far but I really want to share what happened to me after the show saturday night.

Well, right after the end of the show (and after I met Kiefer Sutherland in the 205B section ;-)) we decided with a friend to go round behind the concert hall by the tennis courts and we ended up right on the backstage scene, ideal spot to see all the stars few feet from us : Roger Daltrey, Brandon Boyd, Rosanna Arquette, Taylor Hawkins, Sean Penn, Zak Starkey and ... all the pearl jam crew ... Ed talking with sean penn, Matt with Taylor hawkins ...etc
    At one point Stone came to us and we've had a great 15 minutes talk, I asked a lot of questions and Stone answered very patiently. Very nice and simple. So here is some of what came up :
    - the band wasn't happy with their performance of the night (Love reign over me & the real me), they thought they were far better during the soundchecks, stone had some regrets ...
    - no plans for a US west coast tour this year for now. I forgot to ask about a seattle show or a bridge school appearance sorry.
    - they'd like to come back to Europe next year, north Europe more precisely. Were explicitely mentionned by Stone : couple of shows in England, Sweden, Finland and St Petersburg (Russia) ;-)
    - Stone is working on a new solo album. He plans to go on tour to support the album maybe next year, yep ... solo tour !!!

Then we took pictures, Jeff came by and we talked 2 minutes. Later on I get my ticket signed by Matt and Eddie !!!

For those who may have met me at some occasion I'm Julien, from France (that explains the approximate english ;-)

Finland next year??

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

-- was it just a dream? ;)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    Great show just got back. Lost my Id the first night there, so no preparty for me. After the show went in the back also met all pf Pj all very cool. Eddie came over to sign quited the crowd said his ears hurt. Jeff seemed out of it but sigend my bass. Saw Roger leave he took some pics and left. Wish they all came out at the end for a jam. And the tshirts were all the who hoping for something else. All in all great show. Had a blast!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Djoul wrote:

dude that's awesome!!!

PLEASE tell me you asked about a time frame for the next pj album/world tour..
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    I'll hold final judgement until I see the final broadcast..

but..

Would it really have killed them to give the audience (who shelled out major $$$) something extra?

It was a great show. I love all the bands and saw the who for the first time.

I don't feel cheated and I wouldn't take the money back if I could. just a tad dissapointed.

I hope mtv networks picked up the bill for the show at least so more of the ticket price goes to the causes.

also, who the hell is that guy playing drums for the who? He kicks serious ass.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147

ringo's kid
  • Options
    Zak Starkey, Ringo Starr's son. He was on fire, wasn't he?
  • Options
    olikatieolikatie Posts: 62
    Julien, please tell us more details on the pjforum!! (enfin tu m'as compris quoi)
    1996: Zürich - 2000: Zürich - 2006: Marseille, Paris & Berne
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    The Rock Honors was awesome!!! Heres my small review of the show. :D Its long so dont read if u get bored easy!!!

I have not seen the boys since lollapalooza. NEARLY A YEAR!!!! I was going CRAZY. My heart and plans were set on MSG & MA shows but that didnt get to happen. I was looking forward to Rock Honors as soon as it was announced but....not being able to make the other shows, I was now REALLY looking forward to it!!! EVERY DAY seemed to be SOOOOO long. Like The 12th was NEVVVVER gonna get here! It was all I hadd to look forward to as far as being in the same building with PEARL JAM!!!!

The closer it got, the more crazed I became. I NEEDED to see them. If you are a real PEARL JAM fan, there should be no exxxplanation neccessary. The week was FINALLY here. I started to count down the days. By tuesday I felt that if saturday wasnt soon, I would just die of thirst so to speak. I talked to someone from here on the phone one early morning and i nearly cried becuz I feel like its been a LIFETIME not seeing a show! I couldnt put into words what i meant but it was GREAT becuz he KNEW so I didnt have to exxxplain. Friday, FIIIINALLY. TOMORROW i would see the boys. ahhhhhh it was a great feeling. It helped being with pearl jam frenz friday night cuz we were all exxxcited.

This show couldnt have been on a better day. July 12th. The date means ALOT to me becuz it was the 2 year anniversary of The Hollywood Fonda show. :D Those of you that know me, KNOW why The Fonda is the greatest show of my life!!! I was EXXXCITED even more now that i knew the whole crew would be there just as we were 2 years ago. We all went to the bar before the show to kill time. I was secretly dying inside. I wished it was SHOWTIME ALREDDIE!!!!! We were all drinking and eating and all of a sudden......i think it was cosmo that said we hadd to be at the venue by 730 cuz doors were closing! WHATTT???!!!! It was like 7....28!!! Everyone downed their drinks/food and we walked as fast as semi intoxxxicated people could. I was nervous! We got closer and there was word that NO CAMERAS were allowed! We hadd to make a pot stop i mean PIT stop to the car to dump off cameras. Everyones exxxcited to get in there. Im REALLY exxxcited becuz I have NOT SEEN THE BOYS IN A YEAR!!!!! These foos I was with just saw some shows so they were ok. ME......I WAS IN REGIS MODE!!!!! I WANTED TO RUN IN THERE!!!!!!!
    We get up to the steps, walk thru the FAKE metal detectors....theres CRAZINESS all around. Pearl Jam fans EVERYWHERE!!! It was GREAT!!! We walk in, start looking at our tickets to see WHERE we are sitting. The view of the venue as soon as you walked in was AMAZING. I was SUPER EXXXTRA EXXXCITED!!! Me & Pixxxie just started screaming and hugging each other cuz we were THERE. The place was packed. There were cameras everywhere. Lights! Fans! It was a GREAT sight!!! Some of us hadd seats way up high, and some down low. MY seats were freakin closer than i thought! Beautifullife and I walked to our seats and thought DAMN THESE ARE GREAT!!! Just as we got to our section, the voice on the speaker said "Ladies & Gentleman please take your seats" I was like WHAT??!! That is CRAZY! Its freakin serious business up in here! The lights shift and the crowd goes wild. Im looking around trying to soak it all in. I cant WAIT to see my boys on stage!!! Everyone kept saying they would be last. I didnt care. Everyone was complaining theyd play JUST 2 songs. I didnt care EITHER!!! ALL i wanted to DO was SEE FREAKIN PEARL JAM DAMMIT!!!!! My soul NEEDED IT!!!! They could have walked out and presented an award and it would have been ok. Its the peace that these boys bring.

We are in our seats rockin out to The Foos who I thought did GREAT. I was happy to BE there so there were no room for complaints!!! All of a sudden....these 4 guys walk to our seats and say we are in the wrong ones. WHAT THE FREAKIN F***???!!!! The usher says "you in tha WRONNNNNG seats! YOU CLOSER!!!" We get up go to our ACTUAL seats and Holy freakin McCready would you believe we were Stones side 3 rows up from the floor???? the PERFECT VIEW!!!!!!! After every band I was even MORE nervous. I was texxxting a friend to keep him updated to make it feel like he was there. All of a sudden....i grab beautifullife's knee and shake it & im like IM GETTIN NERVOUS!!!!!!!! and everyone around us was like way too chill. Everytime the stage turned and was being set up for the nexxxt band....i got major chills. I was just about at the end. Freaking out. My heart was pounding. I felt like I was a fish out of water! At the edge of a cliff and PEARL JAM WERE THE ROPE TO SAVE ME!!!! WHERE WERE THEY!!!!!! GRRRR!!!!!! IM GOING CRAZY!!!!! I couldnt stop shaking my leg full speed.

I put my head in my hands real quik and im like dammit the anticipation is KILLING ME!!! I look up...and what do i see? A HUGE PIANO!!!! I freak out and i start getting into super high intense mode. I say to beautifullife "thats a piano. DUDE THATS A PIANO!!!! WHO ELSE IS USING A PIANO TONITE!!!!! ITS A PIANO!!! THE BOYS!!! BOOM!!!!! PIANO!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!" he laughs and nods and i look around for ANYONE feeling my exxxcitement.....nobody is amped like me. Then the stage spins full circle......i see the instruments....im so crazed at this moment.....im looking for the boys. My leg is shaking non freakin stop. My heart is fighting in my chest. My veins feel like they are about to exxxplode. Im near tears here. I CANT FREAKIN STAND IT!!! My insides felt like a corvette engine at full speed!!! Somebody i dont remember WHO but SOMEBODY.....maybe Tenacious were singing and im like just stop just stop let the boys take over!!!! I put my head down in hopes the boys are up. Im rubbing my hands together vigorously and jumping as if I got ants in my pants. I cant stand still. Im DYING. I look up, the black curtain or whatever it was is dropped covering where the boys are gonna play. Im like OH DEAR GODDDDD LETS DO THIS!!!! I was not EVEN thinking about it just being 2 songs. All i knew was i was THERE and I was making the best out of it.

Suddenly just as i felt i'd choke from all the waiting.....I see movement behind the curtain.....ITS ED!!!! I screamed SO loud and i grabbed beautifullife and i yelled "THERES ED THERES ED THERES ED THERES ED THERES ED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Its as if i couldnt stop saying that!!! i was HYPER!!! HAPPY!!!!! INTENSE!!!!! I started WOOHOOING and did NOT care what was going on on stage or who was introducing!!! I have NEVER been SO exxxcited to see Ed in my LIFE!!!! Everyone knows I love The Master more than anyone. But seeing Ed first was the true sign that my boys were RIGHT THERE!!!!!! I stood still for a split second to call my friend and put him in my pocket to hear the show. When Sean Penn said "PEARL JAM!!!!!!!!!" My heart IMMEDIATELY went nuts. The curtain went up and THERE WERE THE BOYS!!!!!!!!! THE MASTER!!!!!!!!!! oh my GOD!!!!! I felt so overwhelmed and the tears just ran down my face. I was proud. Before they even STARTED i knew theyd NAIL IT. The sound was BEAUTIFUL!!!! When Ed grabbed the mic.......it was like a cup of exxxtra ice on a super hott day-PERFECT. These boys threw down so freakin hard and The Master was at full flowin speed having a GRRREAT TIME!!!! He looked as if he said 'well, this is not a full pearl jam show but you bet your boloney buns im gonna have some fun!' and boyyy DID HE!!!!!! Eds voice was GORGEOUS!!!!!! Stone was groovin...cameron was rockin.......jeff was pimpin......and Brendan O'Brien was doing his thing. The crowd was mesmerized by Ed belting out each note of Love Reign PERFECTLY!!! There were really loud cheers and people KNEW that PEARL JAM were the freakin SH*T!!!!! They KNEW IT!!! There was no denying they are the greatest band EVER. I was so content with the first song that i thought HOW will they pull off the nexxxt??!!! pffffft its PEARL JAM!!!!!

The nexxxt song was freakin ROCKIN!!!!! The Master was lovin life more than usual & jeff......Jeff impressed the hell out of everyone. That night anyone who was NOT a fan MUST HAVE became one becuz.......there was too much greatness. I ALWAYS say The Master is just that-THE MASTER. Nobody listens to me but man did he prove me right!!! Then at the end of the set he strait up trashed his guitar like old times and it was GREAT!!!! The sound of both songs was perfect. If you ask ME im always gonna say that. You wont ever hear me complain or say im unhappy with something. EXXXCEPT camerons solos during The FLOW. But lets not go there.

In my opinion, the boys played these 2 songs like it was their last 2 EVER. And it was ok that they did 2 songs NOT their own. I mean, like someone said earlier that day-how could they POSSIBLY pick JUST 2 songs from their exxxtensive collection??!! Unless its PORCH & EVENFLOW...it cant be done!!!! So it was PERFECT. They nailed every single piece of those songs and made me damn proud. I was content. My soul was soothed. I felt at peace. Whole. I did not like seeing them leave but it was ok cuz they gave me alot that night to look forward to the nexxxt time. And yeah i was STILL sobbing. Say what u want but those are my boys and they just get me. The guys behind us hadd the NERVE to say the seats were HORRIBLE and OBSTRUCTED!!! OBSTRUCTED MY A$$!!!!!! WE WERE IN THE PERFECT LOCATION!!!!!
    What better way to start The Who's set than with BABA!!!! I felt like it was a continuation of a PEARL JAM show!!!!!! It was UNFREAKINBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! I hadd never seen The Who before so I loved every minute of it. I was thankful and fortunate to have been at a legendary performance. I enjoyed myself IMMENSELY and couldnt have asked for a better time unless my frenz- "HOTTRON" & "distant lover" could have been there nexxxt to me. Everything was PERFECT!!!! I cannot WAAAAIT to see this thursday!!!!! All of you guys that were disappointed or complained....YOURE BANANAS!!!!! This show did it for me. It was something to hold me over til the nexxxt time whenever THAT will be!!!! Thanks to ALL of my frenz that were there and new ones i met before hand. You guys ALL make the pearl jam family a great one!!! And THANK YOU beautifullife!!!

I FREAKIN LOVE PEARL JAM!!!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    I FREAKIN LOVE PEARL JAM!!!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!
    Senrock, I freakin loved your review! :D

BTW Who fans spell it WOO WHO! :D
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    so Jack Bauer walked RIGHT BY ME!!!!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Djoul wrote:

WOW!
    fantastic!
    and man....i'll have to prepare hubby for another euro-tour! ;) perhaps this time he'll join me. haha.

btw - hi julien!
    we met in italy....and london i think...dusseldorf and/or nijmegen?...and were you up in hartford this year too? anyhoo...thanks for sharing your story!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    pateljam wrote:
    The Foo's were introduced by David Duchovny, he was very hoarse sounding which was apropos since Grohl's voice was off too. Also it was quite embarrassing having the supergrass singer fuck up the words to the song. I am very curious on which song VH1 will air from this set since they both were off, didn't suck but were just not up to the what the Foo's can do live...

I had low expectations from the Flaming Lips, the bubble thing was so Spinal Tapish that they were hard to be taken seriously. I was concerned that Tenacious D would be the clowns of the night.... however their rendition of "Squeeze Box" was playful and respectful of The Who.
    The surprise of the night for me was Incubus they nailed "I can see for miles" and "I can't explain".

Pearl Jam absolutely killed with "Reign", they all had passion and Ed put every ounce of his soul into this song, The Who I am sure are proud of this...
    When I saw Adam Sandler on stage, I thought ok here is the Weird Al moment of the night.... but his song was kinda of cool and funny.

The Who was awesome I can't believe that these dudes are in their 60's, because they rocked out hard. They are a great live band and now I know where Pearl Jam gets their inspiration for live performances.
    There was a sound problem during "You better, you bet" so they started the song over. However for the next two songs it seems like the music was much louder and Roger's voice was drowned out a little.
    In short it was money well spent and I am so jazzed I am gonna try for tickets for their November show.

Just wanted to share what I had on another thread...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    zooey91zooey91 Posts: 19
    Just flew back last night, so here's my take:

I was expecting a major cheese/glitz fest, and was more than pleasantly surprised by the whole affair. Not really self-congratulatory, and all of the acts rose to the occasion.

I'm not much of a foo fighters fan, but the Young Man Blues opener blew the roof off the place and set the stage for what turned out to be a great night. Some acts were stronger than others (Incubus didn't do much for me; The Flaming Lips should have skipped the bubble ball audience walk), but I don't think I cringed once.

And as many have already asserted, PJ was amazing.

As to the Who, I am old enough to have seen them in the day (saw them in '71, '75, and '76, as well as a number of times after they lost Keith), and although they're not the band they were 35 years ago (duh), I still think they put their heart and soul (and rage) into their shows and generally enjoyed their set. I thought they should have hung it up when Keith died, and the tour with Kenny Jones was really depressing, but now that it's been 30 years I'm glad that they still get together and perform (even after the loss of John as well).

Great show, well worth the money and time to travel down to LA.
    11.1.92 BSB / 10.1.94 BSB / 6.24.95 SF/ 11.4.95 San Jose / 10.19.96 BSB / 11.19.97 Oakland / 6.30.98 Mpls / 9.11.98 NYC / 10.30.98 BSB / 10.31.00 Mountain View / 10.21.01 BSB / 6.1.03 Mountain View / 6.6.03 Vegas / 10.24.04 BSB / 5.12.06 Albany / 7.15.06 SF / 7.16.06 SF
  • Options
    zooey91 wrote:
    As to the Who, I am old enough to have seen them in the day (saw them in '71, '75, and '76, as well as a number of times after they lost Keith), and although they're not the band they were 35 years ago (duh), I still think they put their heart and soul (and rage) into their shows and generally enjoyed their set. I thought they should have hung it up when Keith died, and the tour with Kenny Jones was really depressing, but now that it's been 30 years I'm glad that they still get together and perform (even after the loss of John as well).

I first saw them in 76, nice to hear from another long time fan. :)
  • Options
    zooey91zooey91 Posts: 19
    One brief recollection: Anaheim Stadium 1976. We had seats on the first level of the stands, under the second level. I forget what song it was, but at some point we looked up and saw the stadium bouncing from the force of 50,000+ jumping up and down. The score board flashed "sit down!" to no avail. I've never been so exhilarated and terrified at the same time!
    11.1.92 BSB / 10.1.94 BSB / 6.24.95 SF/ 11.4.95 San Jose / 10.19.96 BSB / 11.19.97 Oakland / 6.30.98 Mpls / 9.11.98 NYC / 10.30.98 BSB / 10.31.00 Mountain View / 10.21.01 BSB / 6.1.03 Mountain View / 6.6.03 Vegas / 10.24.04 BSB / 5.12.06 Albany / 7.15.06 SF / 7.16.06 SF
  • Options
    bwordbword Posts: 74
    zooey91 wrote:
    Just flew back last night, so here's my take:

I was expecting a major cheese/glitz fest, and was more than pleasantly surprised by the whole affair. Not really self-congratulatory, and all of the acts rose to the occasion.

I'm not much of a foo fighters fan, but the Young Man Blues opener blew the roof off the place and set the stage for what turned out to be a great night. Some acts were stronger than others (Incubus didn't do much for me; The Flaming Lips should have skipped the bubble ball audience walk), but I don't think I cringed once.

And as many have already asserted, PJ was amazing.

I too thought they should have hung it up after Moonie died but was not fortunate enough to have seen him play live. My first show was in '80. I still remember hearing the news of his death like it was yesterday....I was getting ready for school and the radio announcer said he had some sad news.... I remember the empty feeling so well and the fact that I couldn't stop crying long enough to put my makeup on....I was late for school that day....

So fast forward 30 yrs...who could have predicted they would still be playing and still playing well? I thought the show was great. I was fortunate enough to have been at the venue in the afternoon and caught the dress rehearsal. Thanks to an alert fanatic, who grabbed a closing door, me and a couple lucky friends ended up getting 4 PJ tunes that day!!!

Foo's Young Man Blues was a great opener!!! The only disappointment for me was the inclusion of You Better, You Bet (post Moonie) and the fact that there wasn't a massive jam at the end of the show. The thought of Vedder and Townshend being on the same stage together made me weak in the knees.

The day after the show, in a coffee shop, we met Wayne from The Flaming Lips. It was cool to talk to him about loving The Who for so many years and how he loves Vedder's voice on LROM, perhaps more than Daltrey's!!! Also got to ask him about the lack of a jam session at the end of the show. He explained that it was all for "TV" and it wasn't a planned part of the show :-(

All in all it was an awesome trip and a great opportunity to meet some cool people along the way :-)
    Ripple in still water when there is no pebble tossed nor wind to blow...
  • Options
    pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    pateljam wrote:
    I am very curious on which song VH1 will air from this set since they both were off, didn't suck but were just not up to the what the Foo's can do live...

I was thinking the same thing watching it live, no way they can use it. that guy's vocal performance was horrendous, it felt like bad karoake, considering the teleprompter was 50 feet from him and in a huge font. poor grohl was sick again, last time i saw him as well, he was sick (nashville jan. 08)

PJ indeed tore it up, I have been telling everyone to tune in, and now to read that someone said they weren't happy with their performance...wow, well, as I fan, I was ecstatic with their performance, I can't stop thinking about it.
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • Options
    zooey91 wrote:
    One brief recollection: Anaheim Stadium 1976. We had seats on the first level of the stands, under the second level. I forget what song it was, but at some point we looked up and saw the stadium bouncing from the force of 50,000+ jumping up and down. The score board flashed "sit down!" to no avail. I've never been so exhilarated and terrified at the same time!
    Yeah, that Who power could be really something! :D
  • Options
    bword wrote:
    I too thought they should have hung it up after Moonie died but was not fortunate enough to have seen him play live. My first show was in '80. I still remember hearing the news of his death like it was yesterday....I was getting ready for school and the radio announcer said he had some sad news.... I remember the empty feeling so well and the fact that I couldn't stop crying long enough to put my makeup on....I was late for school that day....

So fast forward 30 yrs...who could have predicted they would still be playing and still playing well? I thought the show was great. I was fortunate enough to have been at the venue in the afternoon and caught the dress rehearsal. Thanks to an alert fanatic, who grabbed a closing door, me and a couple lucky friends ended up getting 4 PJ tunes that day!!!

Foo's Young Man Blues was a great opener!!! The only disappointment for me was the inclusion of You Better, You Bet (post Moonie) and the fact that there wasn't a massive jam at the end of the show. The thought of Vedder and Townshend being on the same stage together made me weak in the knees.

The day after the show, in a coffee shop, we met Wayne from The Flaming Lips. It was cool to talk to him about loving The Who for so many years and how he loves Vedder's voice on LROM, perhaps more than Daltrey's!!! Also got to ask him about the lack of a jam session at the end of the show. He explained that it was all for "TV" and it wasn't a planned part of the show :-(

All in all it was an awesome trip and a great opportunity to meet some cool people along the way :-)
    I remember Keith's death very well, it will be 30 years in September. My husband picked me up from work and broke the news to me and it was just awful. I couldn't imagine the band without him and after several lean years I think Zak Starkey does an admirable job, better than anyone else could.

You're SO effin' lucky to have heard PJ's rehearsal! Some friends of mine were able to get into the Who's rehearsal and got the set list. And guess what--it says they were going to play Substitute instead of YBYB. It also had Naked Eye/Relay, which would have been very nice. I would have been perfectly content to leave out YBYB, since that's usually break time for me during a regular show. But I still had a great time and enjoyed the other bands. Especially PJ! (Did I even need to say that?!)
  • Options
    guljor94 wrote:
    I even managed to get to In-n-Out...

*homer simpson drool action*...
    thanks for the review too!! ;)
  • Options
    I remember Keith's death very well, it will be 30 years in September. My husband picked me up from work and broke the news to me and it was just awful. I couldn't imagine the band without him and after several lean years I think Zak Starkey does an admirable job, better than anyone else could.

You're SO effin' lucky to have heard PJ's rehearsal! Some friends of mine were able to get into the Who's rehearsal and got the set list. And guess what--it says they were going to play Substitute instead of YBYB. It also had Naked Eye/Relay, which would have been very nice. I would have been perfectly content to leave out YBYB, since that's usually break time for me during a regular show. But I still had a great time and enjoyed the other bands. Especially PJ! (Did I even need to say that?!)

Yes we were very lucky!!! I still can't believe how it all played out. There were no Foo's or members of The Who(except Zak) at dress so their performances were a nice surprise.

Too bad about the set list and the ommissions....While we were walking there I said that I would have liked to hear Naked Eye and Slip Kid and that I wanted Long Live Rock as the big jam closer!!...oh well a girl can dream!
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    I was thinking the same thing watching it live, no way they can use it. that guy's vocal performance was horrendous, it felt like bad karoake, considering the teleprompter was 50 feet from him and in a huge font. poor grohl was sick again, last time i saw him as well, he was sick (nashville jan. 08)

PJ indeed tore it up, I have been telling everyone to tune in, and now to read that someone said they weren't happy with their performance...wow, well, as I fan, I was ecstatic with their performance, I can't stop thinking about it.

Yeah I know that is such a bummer if the boys really think they didn't do well I mean Christ even Jeff tore it up that night, his bass was on fuckin fire.

I also find it funny that some people on this thread think the Foo's killed that night... I mean come on were they really at the same damn show...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    pateljam wrote:

I also find it funny that some people on this thread think the Foo's killed that night... I mean come on were they really at the same damn show...

The vocals on Bargain sucked and perhaps the guy from Supergrass was a short notice fill in for Grohl and maybe he really didn't know the song....but I do think they did justice to Young Man Blues!!! If you give a listen to the Live at Leeds version you might see what I mean.

PJ's cover of The Real Me was pretty impressive. Quadrophenia has always been my fav album so I was in heaven!!!