Options

Ed & Jeff on 34 years of Pearl Jam on The Bill Simmons Podcast

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,752
    edited May 4
    My favorite part was how Ed used the word juxtaposition after Jeff used the word tributary. I don't think I've heard 'tributary' outside of a classroom. And how Ed caught that oxymoron. that was sweet. And Haha I don't have bad chocolate. 

Symbiosis.

Ahhh... the things that turn my crank... silly girl

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,603
    Jeff's callback of Simmons' use of the word "conceit" toward the end was also well-played.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,752
    Yes, smart assed! Love the avocado audition recollection as well.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,490
    I listen to Bill Simmons a lot for the basketball and football pods.  He is at his best when he has guests on that will check his ego like a Cousin Sal or Chuck Klosterman.  He can be a know it all at times and he openly antagonizes the fans of any teams that aren’t the Celtics or Patriots.  He went to a Pearl Jam concert in 1998 so he thinks he’s a PJ expert and I think a lot of his interviews are less concerned with the input of his guests and more concerned with trying to show people how smart he thinks he is.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,987
    edited May 4
    Couldnt make it to the end, awful interviewer,  at times ed seemed unconfortable.

Terrible questions , all over the place...
  • Options
    IamNotMichaelIamNotMichael Posts: 66
    Great interview but seemed awkward at times.  
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,590
    edited May 4
    Very awkward. Eddie seems very spacey too, just answer the question rather than stare at Bill. Terrible answers to the album by album bit. I just wish the band spoke more, or even at all, about 2000-2010. 

Biggest takeaway was the injuries part. Ed saying something going on with his strumming/picking/right arm. Gotta say, I noticed him stop playing guitar in the middle of songs a lot in 2023. 
    Post edited by HailHailVitalogy on
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    IamNotMichaelIamNotMichael Posts: 66

Very awkward. Eddie seems very spacey too, just answer the question rather than stare at Bill. Terrible answers to the album by album bit. I just wish the band spoke more, or even at all, about 2000-2010. 

Biggest takeaway was the injuries part. Ed saying something going on with his strumming/picking/right arm. Gotta say, I noticed him stop playing guitar in the middle of songs a lot in 2023. 
    And I think he skipped Backspacer lol
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 666
    demetrios said:
    That's a great clip. There were some excellent moments. (Maybe 1/3 of the interview?)
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,097
    There were some really good moments when Ed and Jeff weren’t interrupted by the interviewer, but I felt it was a wasted opportunity.  1 hr 30 min interview but with the constant referencing to sports (sorry I’m from the UK and have zero interest in US sports), I was willing the questioning to move on and back to Pearl Jam.  

As PJ fans generally, are we really interested in their opinions on Taylor Swift? Did the interviewer want them to slate her, because she’s ‘pop’? Bill Simmons needed to talk much less and give Ed and Jeff space to answer, and not try to lead their answers.  

With all that said, I’d still recommend a watch for those moments when Ed and Jeff were ‘flowing’ but I did struggle with Bill’s interview technique. 

Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,231
    Chazz said:

As PJ fans generally, are we really interested in their opinions on Taylor Swift?

Yes, we are
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,628
    Simmons went on about the Warriors for so long. Like, it's a totally different thing. NBA players get old and have to retire. Musicians can play until they die.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Chazz said:
    There were some really good moments when Ed and Jeff weren’t interrupted by the interviewer, but I felt it was a wasted opportunity.  1 hr 30 min interview but with the constant referencing to sports (sorry I’m from the UK and have zero interest in US sports), I was willing the questioning to move on and back to Pearl Jam.  

As PJ fans generally, are we really interested in their opinions on Taylor Swift? Did the interviewer want them to slate her, because she’s ‘pop’? Bill Simmons needed to talk much less and give Ed and Jeff space to answer, and not try to lead their answers.  

With all that said, I’d still recommend a watch for those moments when Ed and Jeff were ‘flowing’ but I did struggle with Bill’s interview technique. 

1) Bill Simmons is the (Boston) Sports Guy. You're going to get questions related to sports. They fully understood this when agreeing to the interview.

2) I was very interested in what they had to say about Taylor Swift. Musicians are often asked about other musicians in interviews. This was, again, not surprising.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,628
    I didn't mind the convo about T.S. I hope they take some setlist advice from her. i.e. playing from "all the eras" (looks like that's not happening based on last night - great setlist though!)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,367
    I like Simmons’ football podcast in season but honestly I couldn’t listen to this interview.  It wasn’t clicking at all.  Stern was way better.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Simmons has some good takes on sports and pop culture.  But his smugness is tough to deal with sometimes. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 729
    I'm a BS fan. With that said, he isn't an "expert" on anything really. He's a sports writer first. Then he sprinkles in pop culture. His show also isn't specifically targeting PJ fans. Its targeting BS podcast fans. So take it for what it is. If the band wasn't a fan of his, Corduroy wouldn't be his opening music, and this interview wouldn't have happened. 
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,611
    Simmons was cringe. Rather than ask a one word recollection of each of the 12 albums, how about come up with a question for each. WTF?
    Off the top of my head…
    1. Ten: Why did the band feel the need to remaster the album? Was it because Rick Parashner had a very reverb heavy sound?
    2. Vs.: Why was Alone left off the record?
    3. Vitalogy: What is it with New Orleans? Jeff can you share what happened when you were attacked in New Orleans? Eddie you and Jack McDowell in a bar fight? 
    4. No Code: Eddie can you talk about how Nusrat Ali Khan influenced your singing style?
    5. Yield: How was the Dark Matter recording process similar to recording Yield?
    6. Binaural: Why the heck was Sad left off the album. (Read off the original track list) Why was it changed?
    7. Riot Act: How was recording this album affected by the Roskilde tragedy. What was the bands state of mind?
    8. Avocado: Is there any deeper meaning to the cover art? 🥑 
    9. Backspacer: The shortest, tightest Pearl Jam album. Any B-sides we have yet to see?
    10. Lightning Bolt: How did Brendan O’Brien get you to add Sleeping By Myself with full band to the album instead of Without You which was later recorded by Natalie Maines?
    11. Gigaton: Granted it’s a very personal song, but will Comes and Goes ever be played live?
    12. Dark Matter: Was the concept the physics of dark matter or the subject matter or simply a play on words?

See Bill..took me 5 minutes.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Simmons was cringe. Rather than ask a one word recollection of each of the 12 albums, how about come up with a question for each. WTF?
    Off the top of my head…
    1. Ten: Why did the band feel the need to remaster the album? Was it because Rick Parashner had a very reverb heavy sound?
    3. Vitalogy: What is it with New Orleans? Jeff can you share what happened when you were attacked in New Orleans? Eddie you and Jack McDowell in a bar fight? 
    4. No Code: Eddie can you talk about how Nusrat Ali Khan influenced your singing style?
    6. Binaural: Why the heck was Sad left off the album. (Read off the original track list) Why was it changed?
    7. Riot Act: How was recording this album affected by the Roskilde tragedy. What was the bands state of mind?
    9. Backspacer: The shortest, tightest Pearl Jam album. Any B-sides we have yet to see?
    10. Lightning Bolt: How did Brendan O’Brien get you to add Sleeping By Myself with full band to the album instead of Without You which was later recorded by Natalie Maines?
    11. Gigaton: Granted it’s a very personal song, but will Comes and Goes ever be played live?
    12. Dark Matter: Was the concept the physics of dark matter or the subject matter or simply a play on words?

We can only wish we'll ever get them to sit down with an interviewer who would know to ask them these kinds of questions, and then that they would actually answer them.
  • Options
    I didn't mind the convo about T.S. I hope they take some setlist advice from her. i.e. playing from "all the eras" (looks like that's not happening based on last night - great setlist though!)
    Oh my God, can you imagine? They each have twelve studio albums, and she was doing three-and-a-half hours to cover them. I don't think Pearl Jam has any desire to go that long-- even the "long" shows pre-COVID rarely reached 3:30. They would have to do two or three songs from each record to keep it to 2:30-2:45, and that's without even getting to Lost Dogs.
  • Options
    You could have an interviewer ask every single “the fans want to know” type of question and if Ed doesn’t want to answer it he won’t answer it. 

• Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 729
    edited May 5
    Off the top of my head…

I think you are setting the bar a little high. BS loves the NBA, but the guy barely understands the salary cap! Do you think he has any idea of who Rick Parashner is? I'm a huge fan and have no idea. The Boston Red Sox/ESPN page 2 fan isn't going to have any idea who that is. Nor will they care. 
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,231
    Off the top of my head…

You're misunderstanding the interviewer, the show, and the intended audience 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,231
    Ironically, Bill's method led to a great story for #8
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,792
    pjl44 said:
    Off the top of my head…

You're misunderstanding the interviewer, the show, and the intended audience 
    Yeah, lots of cringe within the above...I would just be giving one word responses if that was fed to me.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 666
    Sorry, I can't let this go. Its Rick Parashar.
    Carry on.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    There seemed to be a lot of rather unimportant questions in this interview, or if not unimportant, a bit thoughtless...

However, I really liked the story Jeff told about playing sports in his home town with a group of boys and how he learned about the power of a group of people and the magic of that energy.  I can see how that is related to the energy of the band and how when everyone is working together it can be very powerful.

If I hadn't stayed listening to the interview (after the dull beginning), I would have missed that story!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Chazz said:

As PJ fans generally, are we really interested in their opinions on Taylor Swift?

Yes, we are
    Fair enough 😁
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Chazz said:

1) Bill Simmons is the (Boston) Sports Guy. You're going to get questions related to sports. They fully understood this when agreeing to the interview.

2) I was very interested in what they had to say about Taylor Swift. Musicians are often asked about other musicians in interviews. This was, again, not surprising.
    Point taken. I guess I was getting frustrated with the interviewing style and wanted the conversation to get back to PJ albums, history, etc. 
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    London 18
    London 22