Options

Ed & Jeff on 34 years of Pearl Jam on The Bill Simmons Podcast

Comments

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,222
    Only 1/3 of the way but am enjoying a few fun nuggets that came from this:

Ed’s comment on golfers and their “little cleats” 🤣
    Ed responding to his old quote of “just playing songs in my bedroom and never expected them to be heard” with “well that sounds whiney” 💀

Also loved Jeff talking about growing up with team sports and the feel of the unit is greater than the individual.

Interesting info on the injuries - Jeff and no left knee cartilage and Ed’s strumming arm tendinitis.  
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,544
    Bill Simmons: "What are some of your bad vices?"
    Jeff: "Hmm... Chocolate maybe?"
    Bill Simmons: "Chocolate?"
    :lol:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,918
    on2legs said:
    Bill Simmons: "What are some of your bad vices?"
    Jeff: "Hmm... Chocolate maybe?"
    Bill Simmons: "Chocolate?"
    Jeff: "I don't have bad chocolate."  
    Hehehehe. Ya missed the funny kid caught with his pants down part.
  • Options
    Red MosquitoRed Mosquito Charlotte, NC Posts: 70
    I am glad to hear others noticed the awkwardness between Ed and BS, because it just seemed like Ed wasn't feeling it at all. He mostly seemed to be questioning the questions.
  • Options
    I am glad to hear others noticed the awkwardness between Ed and BS, because it just seemed like Ed wasn't feeling it at all. He mostly seemed to be questioning the questions.
    I think Ed has Bill Simmons figured out.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,026
    I'm willing to bet an interview by fans where people ask questions like "Why isn't this song played" or Why do this or that" would be just as cringe as some of these questions were. this interview was just fine. 

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,642
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,808
    I'm willing to bet an interview by fans where people ask questions like "Why isn't this song played" or Why do this or that" would be just as cringe as some of these questions were. this interview was just fine. 

I'm thinking more of an interview by a professional who actually has a deep knowledge of the band's entire history, not just the first few years of it. The problem with someone like Simmons as an interviewer is that he obviously stopped paying anything more than casual attention to the band after the first three albums. It doesn't make him a bad person; it just makes him ill-equipped to ask interesting questions about the band's career. Do you think if you asked Bill Simmons to name a song on Riot Act or Pearl Jam that he would be able to do so? (I don't think he would.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    BF25394 said:

I'm thinking more of an interview by a professional who actually has a deep knowledge of the band's entire history, not just the first few years of it. The problem with someone like Simmons as an interviewer is that he obviously stopped paying anything more than casual attention to the band after the first three albums. It doesn't make him a bad person; it just makes him ill-equipped to ask interesting questions about the band's career. Do you think if you asked Bill Simmons to name a song on Riot Act or Pearl Jam that he would be able to do so? (I don't think he would.)
    I nominate Steven Hyden
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 674
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

I nominate Steven Hyden
    Seconded. He can bring Ian if he wants too.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

I nominate Steven Hyden
    Hmmm, that's a controversial one for me. I read his book and found it littered with mistakes and inaccuracies. I couldn't believe that a major publisher let it go to print without proper fact-checking. I almost submitted a list of errata to the publisher to be addressed before the paperback came out.

And by his own admission, he fit the profile of the Pearl Jam fan who drifted away from the band after 1998 and then only circled back to them later. Some of what he thinks he knows about the early days are based on apocryphal stories that circulated at that time but that he didn't know had been debunked because he had stopped paying attention to the band. And much of what he writes about the period when he wasn't paying attention is indirect, secondhand knowledge that he hasn't really internalized because he didn't live it.
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 234
    I didn’t love the podcast interview, but watched the 10 minute video they released today that is focused on Eddie’s sports memorabilia collection. It is great. If you don’t like sports you won’t like it, but Eddie and Bill have a lot better chemistry when they are walking around, drinking beers, and talking about players from the 70s than they had in the portion of the interview that was in the podcast.

98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

I nominate Steven Hyden
    Hmmm, that's a controversial one for me. I read his book and found it littered with mistakes and inaccuracies. I couldn't believe that a major publisher let it go to print without proper fact-checking. I almost submitted a list of errata to the publisher to be addressed before the paperback came out.

And by his own admission, he fit the profile of the Pearl Jam fan who drifted away from the band after 1998 and then only circled back to them later. Some of what he thinks he knows about the early days are based on apocryphal stories that circulated at that time but that he didn't know had been debunked because he had stopped paying attention to the band. And much of what he writes about the period when he wasn't paying attention is indirect, secondhand knowledge that he hasn't really internalized because he didn't live it.
    I don't know about all that but Steven Hyden 
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

I nominate Steven Hyden
    Seconded. He can bring Ian if he wants too.
    All the better
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 674
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

I nominate Steven Hyden

Man if Long Road upset you that much I have some terrible news about Five Against One & Not For You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense. There are much much worse books than Hyden’s.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,422
    edited May 8
    ComeToTX said:
    200 dollars per nosebleed ticket place right there

(Cool video even though I know shit about baseball. Why can't they like mainstream horror like normal people)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

I nominate Steven Hyden

Man if Long Road upset you that much I have some terrible news about Five Against One & Not For You: Pearl Jam and the Present Tense. There are much much worse books than Hyden’s.
    I've read both. 5 Against 1 definitely has problems. Ironically, some of the apocrypha in Hyden's book that I referenced in my previous post come from Neely's book. The issues about Not for You are more subjective-- Giveny has some takes about things that are way off (and also some takes that are spot on)-- but it does not have the factual accuracy (and sloppy editing) issues that Long Road has.
  • Options

(Cool video even though I know shit about baseball. Why can't they like mainstream horror like normal people)
    Don't feel bad. Simmons doesn't know as much as he thinks he does, either. Hack Wilson's record is 191 RBIs in a season, not 190. (It used to be thought to be 190, but new research found that he actually drove in 191 runs in 1930. It was a whole thing when this was discovered in the '90s but Simmons apparently missed it.)

One thing I'm confused about: Eddie showed Simmons an Astros jersey with "Tartabull" on the back, and Simmons said "Danny Tartabull," which is a reasonable assumption, but the thing is that neither Danny Tartabull nor his father Jose ever played for the Astros, and there is no one else named Tartabull in MLB history. So whose jersey is that?
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

Don't feel bad. Simmons doesn't know as much as he thinks he does, either. Hack Wilson's record is 191 RBIs in a season, not 190. (It used to be thought to be 190, but new research found that he actually drove in 191 runs in 1930. It was a whole thing when this was discovered in the '90s but Simmons apparently missed it.)

One thing I'm confused about: Eddie showed Simmons an Astros jersey with "Tartabull" on the back, and Simmons said "Danny Tartabull," which is a reasonable assumption, but the thing is that neither Danny Tartabull nor his father Jose ever played for the Astros, and there is no one else named Tartabull in MLB history. So whose jersey is that?
    Jose Tartabull managed the Gulf Coast Astros in the 80s.  The single A team for the Astros. 

• Options
    BF25394 said:

I think you should switch to decaf
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,422
    BF25394 said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277
    BF25394 said:

I will go out on a limb and say that 99% of the baseball fan population missed that Hack Wilson's RBI numbers changed in the 90s.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    BF25394 said:

I will go out on a limb and say that 99% of the baseball fan population missed that Hack Wilson's RBI numbers changed in the 90s.
    Also… Bill is an NBA guy first and foremost.  Then NFL.  He pays attention to baseball only when the Red Sox are doing well.  

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,277
    on2legs said:
    pjhawks said:
    BF25394 said:

Also… Bill is an NBA guy first and foremost.  Then NFL.  He pays attention to baseball only when the Red Sox are doing well.  
    Yes, loved his NBA book.
  • Options
    McGanahanMcGanahan Posts: 16
    It was weirdly interesting to me hearing Ed and Jeff talk about Taylor Swift. They were complimentary, and rightly so. Particularly Ed, who insinuated he was pretty blown away by a b-side of hers that his daughter played for him.

Is it wrong to secretly hope they cover one of her songs at some point? Asking for a friend.

....Okay...I'll show myself out.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    BF25394 said:

Jose Tartabull managed the Gulf Coast Astros in the 80s.  The single A team for the Astros. 
    That's a deep cut. Thanks. I wonder if Ed knows that he has either a minor-league uni or a spring-training one.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    BF25394 said:

More like that people have forgotten it. It got a lot of attention at the time, as did the fact that Ty Cobb really had only 4,189 hits, meaning that Pete Rose actually broke the record several days before he broke the record.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    BF25394 said:

I think you should switch to decaf
    Nope, no coffee for me, thanks.
  • Options
    johnny__utahjohnny__utah New Brunswick, Canada Posts: 195
    Pretty good! Kind of wished they would have showed the baseball stuff at the end! 
    It's up on Youtube 'Pearl Jam Clubhouse Tour with Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament'