Options

Is It Ok To Wear A Pj Shirt To A Show

2»

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I used to be anti-wearing-band-shirts-to-their-shows...and now I do it at pretty much every PJ show I go to. I've already got my PJ shirts packed and ready for action for the MSG shows.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    The answer to this is- if you are down to earth, pretty cool and don't care what other people think & are proud of your status as loyal to the band, then yes, you can wear a PJ shirt to a PJ show.
    If, on the other hand, you are more like the girl who used to run Five Horizons, and flaunt your holier-than-thou, I make random rules as they pertain to the band, thinking you're a better fan than everyone else kind of attitude.. then no. Then it's not OK to wear your PJ shirt to a PJ show- but, if you're that kind of fan, then you automatically reserve the right to make fun of the fans who wear PJ shirts to PJ shows.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    mammasan wrote:
    I say wear what ever makes you happy, even assless chaps. I would say though for guys it seems almost mandatory to wear cargo shorts. 99.999999% of the guys at Camden II had on cargo shorts. I felt so out of place wearing jeans.

LOL! :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    mammasan wrote:
    I say wear what ever makes you happy, even assless chaps. I would say though for guys it seems almost mandatory to wear cargo shorts. 99.999999% of the guys at Camden II had on cargo shorts. I felt so out of place wearing jeans.

Cargo shorts/pants are just convenient. I wear 'em all the time.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    The answer to this is- if you are down to earth, pretty cool and don't care what other people think & are proud of your status as loyal to the band, then yes, you can wear a PJ shirt to a PJ show.
    If, on the other hand, you are more like the girl who used to run Five Horizons, and flaunt your holier-than-thou, I make random rules as they pertain to the band, thinking you're a better fan than everyone else kind of attitude.. then no. Then it's not OK to wear your PJ shirt to a PJ show- but, if you're that kind of fan, then you automatically reserve the right to make fun of the fans who wear PJ shirts to PJ shows.

I couldn't have said this any better!!!! :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    BinFrog wrote:
    Cargo shorts/pants are just convenient. I wear 'em all the time.

I'm not knocking cargo shorts. God knows I have tons of them. I just thought it was pretty funny. It was actually my girlfriend who pointed it. She noticed that every guy around us was wearing cargo shorts. She was busting my chops that I wasn't a die hard fan because i wasn't wearing the proper attire.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    There's never a wrong time to sport some PJ.
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    NyCpOrCh9 wrote:
    I Know My Cardinal Rule When I Go To A Show Is Dont Wear The Shirt Of The Band Unless Its A Festival And Dont Pump Their Music In The Parking Lots Before A Show...but Is It Different With Pj??should I Wear One Of My Shirts To Msg Or Just Rock A Rangers Jersey?

You should do what you want to do.

And that's a stupid rule. (And pointless really)
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Screw that fashion police bullshit! I am THAT GUY at every PJ show. It's my favorite fucking band, I don't have to "act cool" there. I wear a PJ shirt, sing a long to every song, air guitar, everything.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    It was so cool to see people in a variety of Pearl Jam shirts at the concert. My daughter even changed into her new "tree" shirt before the concert started.

Let people be free to be themselves without judgment. This isn't fashion week.
    Mary Jane
    ~~~~~~
    09/04/2000 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD
    07/01/2003 Nissan Pavilion Stone Ridge, Bristow, VA
    06/22/2008 Verizon Center, Washington, D.C.
    10/27/2013 Baltimore Arena (1st Mariner), Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    jxchambjxchamb Posts: 55
    Well it looks like I'll be weaing my Yield shirt on Saturday with a pair of cargo shorts. The only fashion cop I have to worry about is my girlfriend and I'm sure she'll be fine with whatever I'm wearing as long as she likes it.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Fashion rules are stupid. Wear whatever you want. It's the philosophy the "grunge" movement was based on.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    matt770 wrote:
    Bought a sweet Mike McCready shirt at the pre-show benefit party last night, I'll be rocking out in that at some upcoming shows I'll tell you what.

I would totally wear a Mike McCready t-shirt, its not a Pearl Jam shirt, its kinda like going to a baseball game with your favorite player's jersey, people know youre a Sox fan but now they know that your favorite player is Jacoby Ellsbury.

Going to a baseball game with a jersey is different because there are two teams, and people don't know what team you are rooting for unless you have a jersey, hat, shirt, etc. A Pearl Jam show has Pearl Jam, and some opening band, but who would pay that much money to see an opening band?

Really people wear whatever you want, go naked, see if you can even get in. I just never wear the shirt of the band I am going to see, just personal philosophy. Plus you never know, you could win the lottery and wearing a Neil Young shirt or something and it inspires the boys to play a Neil Young song.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    Kraven wrote:
    I dunno it was just what I was taught(I don't know by who), just kinda stuck to it. I went to the Tampa show and my buddy going with me was like "You aren't going to wear a Pearl Jam shirt the show, are you?" I was like hell no, so obviously there is an unwritten rule somewhere.

i was taught that a long time ago too, but now i feel it's just something that i would think about in high school. if i feel like wearing a PJ shirt to one of their shows, i do. like last night in dc:)
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    I for one will be resplendant in PJ socks
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    NyCpOrCh9 wrote:
    I Know My Cardinal Rule When I Go To A Show Is Dont Wear The Shirt Of The Band Unless Its A Festival And Dont Pump Their Music In The Parking Lots Before A Show...but Is It Different With Pj??should I Wear One Of My Shirts To Msg Or Just Rock A Rangers Jersey?

It is not ok.
    They'll kick you out of the venue, after having thrown you down the stairs, stomped on you, spit in your face, your t-shirt torn to pieces.

feeling secure in who you are and what you wear is sexy, people.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    jessykawjessykaw Posts: 29
    I lived by "the rule" too. I totally broke it yesterday though since I saw tons of different PJ shirts being worn. I ended up wearing my 1992 World Jam t-shirt. I got a few comments on it, so it was cool. Go ahead and wear your PJ shirt, because you will be one of many. Plus, it was neat walking around D.C. before the show and seeing so many shirts. Every bar I walked into was playing PJ songs. It felt like we had taken over the city.
    Charlotte: 10/4/96
    Virginia Beach: 6/17/08
    D.C.: 6/22/08
    D.C.: 8/17/08 (Vedder solo)
  • Options
    imfaithfulimfaithful Posts: 106
    the way i look at this unwritten law, when you go to sporting events, do you not wear the teams jerseys,shirts,hats etc.... so why not support the band your seein by wearin a shirt?
    I LOVE THIS BAND

"If some guy's not really giving me a reaction, I'll try and fucking get a reaction out of him. And I feed off of that. I go crazy. In a good way."-Mike McCready

www.myspace.com/lovethejam
  • Options
    scottbirdscottbird Posts: 132
    Havent you all seen PCU? Dont be that guy!
  • Options
    25min2go25min2go Posts: 13
    I think as long as it is not the current tour shirt, you can wear a PJ shirt. It just shows where you have been and the type of fan you are. I know I will be wearing my EV solo shirt I got in Santa Cruz when I go to the Hfd. show.
    Boston MA 04, Ed Sullivan Theater NY 06, Hartford CT 06, *Hartford CT 08, Philly PA 2009, Hartford CT 10, Boston MA 10, Worcester MA 13, Hartford CT 13, St Paul 14, Quebec City CN 16, Boston MA (5 and 7) 2016

EV: Santa Cruz CA April 08, Montreal August 08,Balt MD 08, Providence RI 11, Hartford CT 11
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    are pearl jam boxers and socks acceptable..... or will i get a citation to appear in court from the fashion police......
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    BuzdRiderBuzdRider Posts: 9
    There alot of those guys at PJ shows. I personally would never wear a PJ shirt to a PJ show, but I wore PJ shirts all weekend before the show. At least don't wear the t-shirt you just bought at the show, save it for the next tour. I do like seeing old dudes rocking vintage Pearl Jam T's. Trust me everyone knows you are Pearl Jam fan and a T-shirt is not required to identify the destination of a group of people walking down the street on the night of a PJ show. Wear what you want, but it is better to wear the shirt the next day to gloat to all that didn't make it to the show the night before.

Smile!
    Get a buzz @ Buzd.org
    Bonnaroo - 6/14/08
    VA Beach - 6/17/08
    Wash. DC - 6/22/08
    EV - Wash. DC - 8/16/08
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    To those who live by the words in PCU of "Don't be that guy at a concert" are just plain stupid. I can't think of a dumber rule to live by.

Believe me, if I am going to a Seahawks game or an M's game, I will be wearing the gear of said team at the game.

If I am going to a concert, PJ or otherwise, and I have a shirt that has that bands logo or whatever on it, you better believe I will be wearing it.

If after the concert i want to listen to the bands studio album, or whatever on the car stereo, I will.

Basically, get a life if you are even remotely concerned with what other people think.

Also, get a life if you care what other people wear to a concert. Or, if you feel the need to ridicule someone who wears a certain shirt to a concert, you are the real loser.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Kraven wrote:
    No its really not, unless its a shirt you bought that night. I thought this was common knowledge until I went a Pearl Jam show and so many people were wearing them. I don't get it, I am pretty sure we know why you are here, its to see Pearl Jam, you don't need to wear a Pearl Jam shirt to the concert, we all know you like Pearl Jam. I tend to wear another band's t-shirt like the Who, Hendrix, Nirvana, or whatever is clean. We all know you like Pearl Jam, so why not express some of your other musical loves.
    But the real question is, why do you care?

I think it is cool to see all the different Pearl Jam shirts at a PJ concert. Or, any band for that matter. When I went to Pink Floyd, it was cool to see all the different Pink Floyd shirts. Same with Tom Petty.

You are sorely mistaken if you think only PJ fans wear the respective band shirts to the concert. So wrong you are.
  • Options
    Just wear them if you want to. Rules..ohh come on..Pearl Jam wear shirts of their fave bands when they play concerts, don't they??..I think that is the same!!
    Last year on that cubs game EV's gf wore a PJ jacket if I recall!!(that to me is more unusual that wearing a PJ shirt to a PJ gig but Ok)
    For some wearing a Pj shirt on a PJ gig is one of the few opportunities to show them..
    I think people who won't wear them because they just don't feel like it are ok, as are ok those that feel like wearing them, although those that don't wear them just because then they might appear ..well news..you are uncool already..
  • Options
    battan1120battan1120 Posts: 310
    I was planning to wear my Hannah Montana tour shirt and was gonna rock out to High School Musical 2 in the lot. Any objections? Its not that I'm into either.I just want to stand out since its my 1st show.1st impressions are very important.
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I've rescinded my personal "That Guy" rule. Like every political hack under the sun, my view on this issue is evolving. I wear my PJ every other place. Great way to help meet other Jammers. Visual recognition outside the venue. I'll be damned if I'm going change just before walking into a venue.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff