Options

Columbia Show

124»

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    spinDrAtl wrote:
    What was the line like at the window? Is the courtyard the closest hotel and how about the regular Marriott or other choices? Thanks.
    Other close choices are:
    Hilton Columbia Center (924 Senate St.)
    Hampton Inn (822 Gervais St.)

both of those are within walking distance. The Hilton might be the closest hotel to the Colonial Center. I have no idea of the rates though. I'd imagine that the Hilton and Hampton might be a bit pricier because of their name (both under the Hilton family name) and proximity to the Vista.
  • Options
    releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    This thread is starting to get lost...we need some excitement for this southern show!! :D

True. I am fired up!!
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • Options
    I've read this board for the last 3 years or so, but this is my first post. I'll be driving from Charlotte with 3 buddies to the Columbia show and hope to meet some other PJ fans. I'll be the guy with the PERL JAM NC license plate.
    "Hail, Hail the lucky ones...I refer to those in love"
    Mansfield, MA 9/16/98, 8/29/00
    Charlotte, NC 4/16/03, 10/30/13 (10th Show!!)
    Atlanta, GA 4/19/03, 9/22/12
    Asheville, NC 10/6/04
    Columbia, SC 6/16/08, 4/21/16
    Alpine Valley, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11
    Greenville, SC 4/16/16
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    I've read this board for the last 3 years or so, but this is my first post. I'll be driving from Charlotte with 3 buddies to the Columbia show and hope to meet some other PJ fans. I'll be the guy with the PERL JAM NC license plate.

Welcome to the board! I was a lurker for a couple years as well. Also, Im gonna try to not get completed blacked out for show, but 8 beers sounds ressonable...
  • Options
    Charger74Charger74 Posts: 59
    Tickets came in the mail today, section 104, row 25, seats 28, 29, 30, 31.

We're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on (I think) Assembly St. I think I read on here that is within walking distance (short walk?) to the venue?

Are there good bars around there? Maybe some of us can meet up after the show. Anyone else staying at the Courtyard?
    9-6-98 KNOXVILLE, TN
    6-16-08 COLUMBIA, SC
    8-28-09 SAN FRANCISCO, CA
  • Options
    oldncpjoldncpj Posts: 17
    Yep, me and my buddy from Canada are staying there along with a couple of other friends. Meeting up afterwards sounds great.
    1991 - Chapel Hill, NC
    1992 - Raleigh, NC
    1996 - Charlotte, NC
    1998 - Barrie, Ont; Raleigh, NC; VA Bch, VA
    2000 - Charlotte, NC; Greensboro, NC
    2003 - Raleigh, NC; Charlotte, NC
    2004 - Asheville, NC
    2005 - Calgary, Alb; Edmonton, Alb
    2006 - Camden, NJ x2
    2008 - Columbia, SC; VA Bch, VA
  • Options
    If anyone has 2 lower level great seats they'd like to sell, I would like to get them for my son and his wife. I already have 10C seats, but didn't get tix when they went on sale to the public. email me at mopforyou@yahoo.com if you have some you want taken off your hands!

thanks
    Lisa
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    "If a tree falls in the forest and it hits a mime, does anyone care? "

"hot guys are like public toilets..their either occupied or full of shit"

• Options
    We're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on (I think) Assembly St. I think I read on here that is within walking distance (short walk?) to the venue?

Are there good bars around there? Maybe some of us can meet up after the show. Anyone else staying at the Courtyard?
    Yep, it's in walking distance. Two blocks west, then two blocks north or vice versa since that part of the city is pretty much on a grid layout. It's not exactly on a N-S, E-W grid, but that's good enough to get you there. Just be careful crossing Assembly Street. Columbia drivers are known for not being the best and it's a busy street being in downtown and right there at USC.

Check out the Vista before/after the show for some bars. There are a couple of good ones over there. The Vista is either 2 or 3 blocks north of the Colonial Center. Your hotel is within walking distance of all of that.
  • Options
    PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    Yep, it's in walking distance. Two blocks west, then two blocks north or vice versa since that part of the city is pretty much on a grid layout. It's not exactly on a N-S, E-W grid, but that's good enough to get you there. Just be careful crossing Assembly Street. Columbia drivers are known for not being the best and it's a busy street being in downtown and right there at USC.

Check out the Vista before/after the show for some bars. There are a couple of good ones over there. The Vista is either 2 or 3 blocks north of the Colonial Center. Your hotel is within walking distance of all of that.

markymark's sig....lmao
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ruffianruffian Posts: 15
    i also noticed the sig...hysterical!

i'm probably also staying at the courtyard marriott and would be up for getting together before/after for drinks. counting the days :)
  • Options
    Excellent. Sounds like that dart I threw at the map made a pretty good choice on where to stay.
    9-6-98 KNOXVILLE, TN
    6-16-08 COLUMBIA, SC
  • Options
    bump?!
  • Options
    TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    I had an interesting thought...

Do you think they will play some different or less frequently played stuff in Colombia because they'll be coming off of Bonnaroo?
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    Hopefully...but it could easily go the other way. Hope they open with "All Night" and it really does go on all night...fun!
  • Options
    releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    Education would be nice.
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • Options
    sjammercsjammerc Posts: 1
    Hi, ya'll! (accent a bit exaggerated)

Columbia native, lurked this board for years and haven't posted until now.

..loving the sig, markymark

Some of my favorite watering holes in the Vista:
    The Flying Saucer (beer!beer!beer!)
    Willy's (great happy hour prices, outside seating)
    The Wild Hare (more sports bar type, decent prices, outside seating)
    Kelly's Pub (so I like dive bars)
    Tsunami (good sushi, decent prices)
    Wild Wing Cafe (good food, decent drink prices)
    Headliners (after show..may have a local/regional band playing that night)
    The Art Bar (after show..more of an alternative atmosphere, they don't close til you go home)

I have purchased a reserved parking pass, a few passes actually. I'll be tailgating with 14 of my closest friends before the show. If you're interested, visit the colonial center website to reserve yours.

I'd enjoy meeting any of you guys!

side note: ED SHOULD PLAY THE TOWNSHIP AUDITORIUM
    Caught a bolt of lightning. Cursed the day he let it go.
  • Options
    Glad everyone likes my sig :)
    But it's true, Gamecock basketball (both men's and women's) has been atrocious over the past couple of years. I could handle losing as long as it was entertaining, but it hasn't been entertaining for a while.....

sjammerc wrote:
    Some of my favorite watering holes in the Vista:
    The Flying Saucer (beer!beer!beer!)
    Willy's (great happy hour prices, outside seating)
    The Wild Hare (more sports bar type, decent prices, outside seating)
    Kelly's Pub (so I like dive bars)
    Tsunami (good sushi, decent prices)
    Wild Wing Cafe (good food, decent drink prices)
    Headliners (after show..may have a local/regional band playing that night)
    The Art Bar (after show..more of an alternative atmosphere, they don't close til you go home)

I'll vouch for the Flying Saucer, Willy's, and the Wild Hare. Wild Wing is ok, but it's a typical chain type place though. There's also a Longhorn and Damon's if you're looking for a bigger meal. Damon's has some really good ribs, but is maybe a bit pricier if you're on a budget.
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    The Flying Saucer looks great for beer lovers like me. It's also an easy walk to the Colonial Center. Their site is linked below.
    http://www.beerknurd.com
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    Hopefully...but it could easily go the other way. Hope they open with "All Night" and it really does go on all night...fun!

That wasn't cheesy at all......haha
  • Options
    Yeah I've been thinking about that, them playing Bonnaroo just before this show. Either we're gonna get a great show full of surprises, or they'll be tired and we'll get the standard 12/3/2-goodnight type of show.

Those places look interesting. Is Vista the name of that area of downtown? Sorry, but I've never been to Columbia, and know nothing about the city. I'm all for the pre-show events and after-show events and just getting to hang out.
    9-6-98 KNOXVILLE, TN
    6-16-08 COLUMBIA, SC
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I think the SC show will be amazing unless PJ are playing Sunday night at The Roo. If they play Saturday, they'll have a day off after Tampa and a day off before Columbia. They should be raring to go. I've never been to Columbia before and haven't seen a PJ show in the south since New Orleans 03. I'm really looking forward to my SC experience. Just hope US Air doesn't bollocks up my flights from Nashville to Charlotte and Charlotte to Columbia.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
    Hey everyone,
    I live in Greenville,SC and was away when TC tickets went on sale. Does anyone have an extra ticket for the Columbia show. You can PM me if anything is available. Thanks .
    I cant wait for this show.
    It will be my first of the South.
    C
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • Options
    Those places look interesting. Is Vista the name of that area of downtown?
    Yep, it is the name of that part of town. Basically, the Vista is a shopping/dining/late night/entertainment area of Columbia. The Vista centers around Gervais St. and the main area is the area boxed in by Lady, Assembly, Gervais, and Huger Streets.

http://www.vistacolumbia.com/assets/mapweb.pdf - Page 2 of this pdf is a map of the Vista and has a good listing of everything the Vista has to offer...
  • Options
    huck5huck5 Posts: 91
    Where do the performers usually stay?
  • Options
    huck5 wrote:
    Where do the performers usually stay?

bus
  • Options
    melpetamelpeta Posts: 46
    Hi guys,
    Is it hard to get from Arlington to Verizon Center by public transportation?
    This is going to be my first trip to US and I have no clue.
    By the way, still trying to figure out my ticket. Could anyone help me? I would prefer 10C. Polish fan since 94!
    Czesc
  • Options
    melpeta wrote:
    Hi guys,
    Is it hard to get from Arlington to Verizon Center by public transportation?
    This is going to be my first trip to US and I have no clue.
    By the way, still trying to figure out my ticket. Could anyone help me? I would prefer 10C. Polish fan since 94!
    Czesc
    I don't think you're going to find much help in this thread. Try here:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=277517
    Good Luck :)
  • Options
    Isn't Verizon home of the Wizards though? Isn't it team from DC too?
  • Options
    Damn - Columbia is not DC. US geography! Sorry guys!
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    No worries. Washington is the District of Columbia and Columbia is Columbia, South Carolina.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff