Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,357
    Wobbie said:
    Scheffler is inevitable.  Everyone starts falling apart on the back 9 and he just keeps on going.  Incredible.
    Not saying it will be the same, but rory, speith, koepka, etc. were all supposed to dominate for years, too…
    Scheffler feels different.  Similar to Koepka, but Scottie actually shows up for other events.  And he has already sustained a higher level of play for much longer than them. Time will tell.
    I wonder if he will ever change his backfoot slide thing as he gets older...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,547
    Wobbie said:
    Scheffler is inevitable.  Everyone starts falling apart on the back 9 and he just keeps on going.  Incredible.
    Not saying it will be the same, but rory, speith, koepka, etc. were all supposed to dominate for years, too…
    Scheffler feels different.  Similar to Koepka, but Scottie actually shows up for other events.  And he has already sustained a higher level of play for much longer than them. Time will tell.
    It will.

Another factor could be his new (has it happened?) fatherhood.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    Wobbie said:

He'll have to at some point. Age won't let him swing like that.
    That's when he won't win anymore.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 4,049

Wife and I at Augusta last week. They wouldn't let me make a tee time unfortunately. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,758
    Scottie is just going to keep winning huh?  
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,566
    Nelly Korda.  5 in a row.  Impressive.

Rahm, Rory, others were dominant only in stretches.  Scottie has the best run post Tiger.    Majors matter but I don’t value them as highly so Koepka isn’t as dominant to me. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,617

Rahm, Rory, others were dominant only in stretches.  Scottie has the best run post Tiger.    Majors matter but I don’t value them as highly so Koepka isn’t as dominant to me. 
    The Korda stuff is impressive. I’m taking my daughter to the Lancaster CC for the women’s open the Thursday after Memorial Day. Should be awesome. Really looking forward to it. 

I think there’s something to majors, but I hear you. I think the data/stats say Brooks isn’t close to that tier.

• Options

The Korda stuff is impressive. I’m taking my daughter to the Lancaster CC for the women’s open the Thursday after Memorial Day. Should be awesome. Really looking forward to it. 

wiki just told me Nelly’s sister has 6 LPGA wins and her dad won the 1998 tennis Australian Open.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Playing #2 and the new #10 at Pinehurst this weekend.  Total last minute.  I'm so stoked.  Almost more excited for #10.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,709
    eddiec said:
    Wobbie said:

It will be a long time.  The back foot slide is a control mechanism to offset the front foot.  I play with a guy who is a 3, a solid golfer who hits a long drive.  He's 49 and he's been working the slide into his game, successfully.  Sometimes it goes bananas, but overall it has kept his drive straighter than ever.  Point is, he's 49 and can do it no problem.  I tried it a few times but it's just one extra glitch I don't need.  If I want to control my cut, I just line up with a slightly closed stance.  My natural driver flight is a cut.  
  • Options
    Upgraded most of my set this year.  I added the Ping LST G430 with a low spin shaft.  Now just finished fitting for irons and going with Srixon ZX7 4 to gap.  They feel like butter when you hit them and even mishits still fly.  For a blade oriented club, they are pretty forgiving.  

I went into the fitting expecting to get T100's after playing a few rounds with them with great success.  But spin numbers on the Srixon's with Accra shafts were just so good, I can't ignore the data.  
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    Wobbie said:

It will be a long time.  The back foot slide is a control mechanism to offset the front foot.  I play with a guy who is a 3, a solid golfer who hits a long drive.  He's 49 and he's been working the slide into his game, successfully.  Sometimes it goes bananas, but overall it has kept his drive straighter than ever.  Point is, he's 49 and can do it no problem.  I tried it a few times but it's just one extra glitch I don't need.  If I want to control my cut, I just line up with a slightly closed stance.  My natural driver flight is a cut.  

I get the dynamics of the slide/shuffle, but he actively rolls his ankle on his weight bearing foot.
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    Wobbie said:

I get the dynamics of the slide/shuffle, but he actively rolls his ankle on his weight bearing foot.
    Yeah that front foot is tough.  My friend doesn't go for that.  Although he still hits it 300yards regularly.  When you still have that as an weekend golfer, you don't really need to get too crazy. 
  • Options
    edited May 2
    Playing #2 and the new #10 at Pinehurst this weekend.  Total last minute.  I'm so stoked.  Almost more excited for #10.
    just like your spur of the moment trip to bandon dunes. you are a golf whore and my hat’s off to you.

also, fuck tiger. :lol:

edit: I played pinehurst when I was about 14 years old. it was quite a shock seeing all older, black caddies. at home in ohio, us high school dudes caddied.
    Post edited by Wobbie on

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    just like your spur of the moment trip to bandon dunes. you are a golf whore and my hat’s off to you.

also, fuck tiger. :lol:

edit: I played pinehurst when I was about 14 years old. it was quite a shock seeing all older, black caddies. at home in ohio, us high school dudes caddied.
    I deserve that tittle.  APpreciate the Tiger nod.  Ha.

I put Pinehurst with Pebble Beach.  It is too cost prohibitive to play more than once having to stay on site and pay ridiculous prices for lodging on top of over the top golf rates.   Had to do it though.  A bucket list item.  But save the $$$ for much, much, much more value at Bandon or Ireland. Run the math, go to Ireland versus Pinehurst.  Or just play Mid Pines, Southern Pines, Pine Needles and Tobacco Road in that area.  Southern Pines was just as fun as #2 or #4. 

PH #10 was awesome.  Doak and his crew knocked it out.  48-41 there.  Struggled on #2 and #4 though.  Lost my driver on #2 and spent to much time in the sandy areas, and then was gassed on #4 as didn't take a break after #2 and just walked on at #4.     Played the par 3's on #2 at 1 under so that will be how I remember that round (1 birdie and 3 pars).   

• Options
    Go to Pinehurst though if you like old money feel.   I went off property one night because I was on vacation and wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt instead of dressing up.  I walked into the inn about 10:00pm to just walk through the lobby to the elevator. Here was my conversation with a worker.

Worker:  Did you go out for a run?
    Me:  No.
    Worker:  Oh, I just thought you did because of running shoes, shorts and being aloen.
    Me:  Yeah, wasn't running.
    Worker:  Were you out drinking?
    Me:  Yeah, I had one drink in town.  
    Me (realizing I must have been way under dressed for the lobby walk):  I just wanted to relax tonight.
    Worker:  Laughing. 

I don't feel comfortable at places like this.  Just want to play golf.  DOn't want to hear about third homes on the cape.  
  • Options
    Go to Pinehurst though if you like old money feel.   I went off property one night because I was on vacation and wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt instead of dressing up.  I walked into the inn about 10:00pm to just walk through the lobby to the elevator. Here was my conversation with a worker.

Worker:  Oh, I just thought you did because of running shoes, shorts and being aloen.
    Me (realizing I must have been way under dressed for the lobby walk):  I just wanted to relax tonight.

I don't feel comfortable at places like this.  Just want to play golf.  DOn't want to hear about third homes on the cape.  

Oh wow I didn't know Pinehurst was like that.  Someone starts giving you shit if you walk through the lobby in shorts???  Doesn't sound like my type of place.  Hope to get there 1 day but will definitely do Bandon first.
  • Options

Oh wow I didn't know Pinehurst was like that.  Someone starts giving you shit if you walk through the lobby in shorts???  Doesn't sound like my type of place.  Hope to get there 1 day but will definitely do Bandon first.
    People are nice there, but you know this is a nice place where East Coasters from DC and Virginia with some money like to go and enjoy the finer things.  I felt underdressed at the hotel bar/restaurant wearing golf shorts and golf shirt the first night, but definitely knew that billabong shorts and a t-shirt weren't going to fly so I went offsite the second night.  I don't think the worker was screening people coming back, but may have just been surprised someone would dress like that there.   

I'm not bashing the place.  It just isn't my scene.  It is an uber nice resort. I knew that I wouldn't be going to the nice restaurants because I don't like dressing up.  I'm perfectly fine going to Chili's or something.   This why people will go to Bandon 5 times while Pebble is once in a lifetime.  The value proposition isn't there at Pebble if you are golf focused on a trip.  It is one time to play Pebble, but not multiple times.
  • Options
    I thought I mentioned it here, but I guess not.  A few weeks ago I got to spend a few days at the PGA Frisco.  That's the site of the new PGA HQ attached to 36 holes called Fields Ranch.  It is a whole resort thing, connected to a brand new, very nice Omni.  It reminds a lot of Streamsong, if anyone has been there.  Golf, hotel, restaurants, crazy putting things all connected.  Really beautiful.  But the golf... 

So the West course isn't bad.  Day one we played a scramble and I played well.  My team won at -9.  The course was 72/134.  Pretty average.  

But holy shit the East Course.  This is where they are playing the PGA Championship in 2027.  You have to have caddies, not carts, which I like.  We played 6300 because the wind was blowing at like 30, which they said was normal.  So it played like 6700 and it was incredibly difficult.  I played pretty well and shot an 80, but the course rating is so tough, plus my GHIN made a weather adjustment that a fucking 80 was a 3.8 on the GHIN.  

What's worse, the PGA tees are 7800.  With the wind, it will play in the 8200 range for the Championship.  The course rating is 78.9/151.  I'm not sure I have ever played in a tougher environment.  I can't wait to see pros out there.  

Anyway, this is well worth a guy's trip.  Great golf, nice hotel, 20 min from DFW.  
  • Options
    80 isn't bad on a tough course in the wind for the first time. I heard that some of the rooms at the Omni open up to the driving range.  That would be incredible.   I would much rather walk than ride.  
  • Options
    Rory needs to go to LIV. Take the money.  Screw the PGA tour and its board.   LIV would be the better tour if Rory goes over and PGA doesn't seem to get it. 
  • Options
    Rory needs to go to LIV. Take the money.  Screw the PGA tour and its board.   LIV would be the better tour if Rory goes over and PGA doesn't seem to get it. 
    He'll never do it.  And even if Rory went, people still won't watch LIV.  Rahm going didn't seem to make much of a difference.  I've tried several times to watch it but I just can't get into it.  The rhetoric from the announcers acting like every event is the masters is just nauseating.  It's a shitty time to be a golf fan.
  • Options
    80 isn't bad on a tough course in the wind for the first time. I heard that some of the rooms at the Omni open up to the driving range.  That would be incredible.   I would much rather walk than ride.  
    I don't know how that could be.  The hotel and course have a huge putting green (like 300 yards) and some restaurants in between.  Unless there is another range I didn't see.  There is also an indoor range with bays that open up like at Top Golf, but not goofy like TG.  

And yes, I was pleased with an 80 out there.  It was a grind, to say the least.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't know how that could be.  The hotel and course have a huge putting green (like 300 yards) and some restaurants in between.  Unless there is another range I didn't see.  There is also an indoor range with bays that open up like at Top Golf, but not goofy like TG.  

And yes, I was pleased with an 80 out there.  It was a grind, to say the least.  
    I don't know where I heard that about the range.  Obviously wrong.
  • Options
    He'll never do it.  And even if Rory went, people still won't watch LIV.  Rahm going didn't seem to make much of a difference.  I've tried several times to watch it but I just can't get into it.  The rhetoric from the announcers acting like every event is the masters is just nauseating.  It's a shitty time to be a golf fan.
    LIV would need to get more serious for sure.  Maybe it wouldn't be watchable, but it would have the better fields.  
  • Options
    LIV would need to get more serious for sure.  Maybe it wouldn't be watchable, but it would have the better fields.  
    Ugh, that would suck.  I love watching Rory hit a golf ball.  But I don't want to watch the CW.  This whole thing needs to be resolved.  It sucks. 
  • Options
    edited May 9
    Was in Charlotte for work and Rory and his caddy were staying in the same hotel for the tourney this week (or at least that night).  I was surprised.  Figured they would rent a house or at least go more upscale. 
  • Options
    Was in Charlotte for work and Rory and his caddy were staying in the same hotel for the tourney this week (or at least that night).  I was surprised.  Figured they would rent a house or at least go more upscale. 
    Best Western?
  • Options
    edited May 9
    mrussel1 said:
    Best Western?
    Haha.  Not quite.  One of the flagship chain hotels.  Staying with the accounting conference nerds.  Didn’t see any other players, but I am sure a few would have been there too.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,357
    I have been in one of the longest funks I've been in since I started playing a decade ago. Slicing everything. Hitting line drives to second base. So infuriating. Broke 80 for the first time a year and a half ago and it's been all down hill since then. 

Kinda think I have gotten to the bottom of it though. Been watching a bunch of Hank Haney videos on getting rid of your slice. Seems to be helping....I somehow morphed into a much stronger grip and was also coming over the top. I think not playing much at all over the winter has definitely contributed to this. 

Getting a lesson later on today with a new golf pro. Hopefully I get back on track soon. The instructor who basically taught me how to play passed away a few years ago. I would normally just check in with him for a tune up every now and then. 

chinese-happy.jpg