Options

**Berkeley Fanviews Here 04/07**

Comments

• Options
    nothingheadnothinghead Posts: 270
    But I decided to quit while I was ahead. Especially after his awesome. Tom Waits quote about "Silence is like a blank piece a paper."

you mean the quote directly following Ed saying, "okay, now shut the fuck up?"

i guess the subtlety wasn't lost on you.
  • Options
    pjampjam Posts: 101
    The show was great, Ed sounded great and was pretty funny but that crowd was lame compared to santa cruz.
    09/13/98+08/29/00+11/05/00+11/06/00+12/08/02+
    12/09/02+06/01/03+06/02/03+06/03/03+06/05/03+
    06/06/03+06/07/03+07/02/03+07/03/03+07/08/03+
    07/09/03+07/11/03+07/14/03+09/28/04+09/29/04+
    10/01/04+10/08/04+10/03/05+05/13/06+05/24/06+
    05/25/06+ As many more as possible
  • Options
    Kat wrote:
    Please share your show experiences here.

Ed Vedder April Fool's Tour

April 7, 2008 Zellerbach Theatre, Berkeley, California

Set List (unconfirmed): Walking The Cow, Around The Bend, I am Mine, Dead Man, I'm Open, Man of the Hour, Setting Forth, Guaranteed, No Ceiling, Far Behind, Rise, Millworker, Goodbye, Satellite, Drifting, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Here's to the State, Trouble, If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out, Parting Ways, Forever Young, Porch

1st encore: Society, Growin' Up, Lukin, No More, Arc

2nd encore: Hard Sun
    YES! Satellite! My favorite uke song he wrote a few years back. Hope it's played in LA.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    pjam wrote:
    The show was great, Ed sounded great and was pretty funny but that crowd was lame compared to santa cruz.

as stated in this, or the other thread, the lack of singing during "No More" was stunning ... jaw dropping stunning.

Let's pick it up tonight people. :D
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    jimed14 wrote:
    as stated in this, or the other thread, the lack of singing during "No More" was stunning ... jaw dropping stunning.

Let's pick it up tonight people. :D

we will in my section tonight :)
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    we will in my section tonight :)
    same here! i was hollering along last night....was also surprised that more didn't sing it loud.

these shows are blowing my freaking MIND. sweet god. parting ways??? satellite??? and arc/wolf was so intense, even more so than santa cruz for me, and that had blown me away.

and the fact i had better seats than sean freaking penn? what in the *hell*? haha
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Sigh -- I wanna post the second I get home, so yeah, here's my initial reaction with more to come after sloggin through work today:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5346993&postcount=11

Seattle Warm Up was to Santa Cruz, as Santa Cruz was to Berkeley.
    As venues get larger, intimacy fades, and curiously, energy levels faded!
    Well -- we are comparing a MONDAY (Berk) to a freakin Saturday night.

Liam didn't Tag Prudence even after teh shout out. But he was fun. I'm really digging him and EJ.

No, Eddie had one long conversation about Room Service at SC, then the shout out to the Body of War story, few other quick tales (wet suits!) but it was NOTHING compared to his sermons at Berkeley. (Getting ready to duck) Felt kinda forced in places like he had to drop Susan Saurandon and TIm Robbins names a few times, establish his cred, Acitivists of Evil! Song for movie this, movie that, oh, that's just a movie in my head -- Senn Penn got the biggest hoot outta the crowd (and neat, he was there!). The dig at the recruiting office. The Obama sign. And the extra protest song. And it just didn't pay off for him the lackluster "No More" sing along, not that "Hide YOur love away" sing along was much better. Again, I'd say a MOnday compared to a Saturday more than anything else...

Again, I think ARC was better at Berkeley, better howls, better sync (ok i really paid attention at Berk) and let it play waaay longer before fading out. But I remember him just WAILING on his guitar for Big Hard Sun at SC. Kinda tame at Berkeley -- what? He's got the Monday's too!!!!

Two very different shows (whereas Santa Cruz wasn't tooo dif from Vancouver)... And again, the sound, crispness, Ed himself actually was much better, fewer flubs, wailing on Millworker and Porch! ::shiver::

And I think that's good to note -- fewer similarities from Van-to-SC-than-to-Berkeley -- I think that bodes well that he's got a lot more he can play!!! These are shows worth seeing a few of! (Well, we'll know tonight how tapped his repertoire is!)

Parting Ways as if on a whim -- "Oh ok, I guess I could just play anything..." But more often, "Now back to the plot of this."

Lots more dedications at Berkeley, dare I say it, just more serene and peaceful.

Beautiful!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Well, I hope you don't all hate me, but..........
    After plugging my ears for 45 mins. through Liam Finn and that fat cow hippie, Eliza Jane/Quasimoto, I had to wait another 45 min. for Ed to show up. It was fucking 8:53 when he walked on stage and I wish I could have stayed at Chez Panisse for that hour and a half wait.
    UGH!
    But Ed was captivating. He was cute and funny. I loved when he sang the Yeasty Girls song and talking shit about the drum circle and when he told that one moron to shut the fuck up. Enough with your "Throw Your Arms Around Me!" I was getting pissed off at the crowd... It was nice that Ed could interact with us so much, but come on!
    Honestly, though, I started to get tired of the whole sitting-around-the-campfire feeling of the night and all the hate-filled political bullshit. Yeah, I get it you and Ed are all a bunch of pot-smoking hippie libs, and you all have a boner for Sean Pean, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins... I get it.... Can we please get the show moving???
    I left disappointed :(
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    Parting Ways as if on a whim -- "Oh ok, I guess I could just play anything..." But more often, "Now back to the plot of this."

Yeah, he did seem to be pretty spontaneous last night, granted, that only fed fuel to the jackasses shouting out requests ... thus, why I felt he had to come "back to the plot"

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    ... I wish I could have stayed at Chez Panisse ...

Oh, OH! Can I? It's set up sooo well! (Yeah, you just did a bit of what you were complaining about what ed was doing, name dropping... hehehe...)

But honestly I feel you CM -- it's not like he's gonna fill the venue with Berkeley residents and students, Contra Costa is a bit more even keeled than just Berkeley (and really he's pulling from the entire West Coast and beyond). So yeah, I guess I can agree. Sounded forced to me. Got a bit long in the tooth.

And ok -- If your coming for solo Ed, I can see how Liam could dissappoint. But just taking Liam at face value, he's like a grunge Dolby or something, I'm facinated by his process, and I thought their voices blended together wonderfully when they weren't screaming. But I liked the screaming too! The drumming! I could see him opening for PJ -- but yeah, hard shift from Liam to Ed.

Don't like the fixed menu there however, prefer Gary Danko's! What if you just don't like squab one night?
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    you mean the quote directly following Ed saying, "okay, now shut the fuck up?"

i guess the subtlety wasn't lost on you.

Ouch. Hurtful.
    I do agree it was getting out of hand at one point with the shouting. If I facilitated that, then I apologize to all in attendence. Sincerely.

But I thought the conversation that ensued about getting snubbed by the Academy Awards was pretty pretty cool.

Come on, "Ghostbusters" ... classic

I also thought Bay Area native Sean Penn might be in the audience and I wanted to pay him a rebel tribute as well.

Sorry if the three of you (and perhaps more) were pissed... but people clapped their support and he talked about it... he didn't tell me to shut the fuck up. That came later to someone else.

I don't know - I really don't - perhaps there is a balance. Probably totally hypocritical to think that I was within it and some others were out of line, but that's how I feel. THERE WAS GREAT ENERGY IN THAT ROOM. And Ed actually seemed to enjoy some audience feedback... up to a point. If I didn't sense that early on I would't have said it.

Lastly, I was singing - LOUDLY - during "NO MORE NO WAR" proudly and with every bit of my soul. I hope the three of you were as well.

PEACE.
    "What chance does Gotham have when the good people do nothing?"
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    Don't like the fixed menu there however, prefer Gary Danko's! What if you just don't like squab one night?

We ate in the cafe upstairs and the atmosphere was fun. The wine, beer, pizza, salads and desserts were all great. My entree, sand dabs, were nice but I was eating bones in every bite. My husband says the server offered to de-bone it for me but I guess I didn't hear him.
  • Options
    mmmm, sand dabs...

I hope all you visitors get to partake of some of the most wonderful cuisine in the world, yap, right here in California! I actually had some of the worst sushi of my life on Telegraph -- and they didn't even have sake!

My wingman's got us set up at a nice joint near Pixar before tonight's show. I think that's what made me a wee tiny bit grumpy ... no sake. VINO TONIGHT!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:

And ok -- If your coming for solo Ed, I can see how Liam could dissappoint. But just taking Liam at face value, he's like a grunge Dolby or something, I'm facinated by his process, and I thought their voices blended together wonderfully when they weren't screaming. But I liked the screaming too! The drumming! I could see him opening for PJ -- but yeah, hard shift from Liam to Ed.

I like to think it's more of a happy Elliot Smith on crack ... but that's just me.

I think most everyone that has come in here and talked about Liam was, like me, wildly impressed ... got to meet him last night, and EJ, both are pretty down to earth.

Admittedly, I don't think EJ adds a lot to the show except a female voice and decent pedal and harp work .... but, they work very well together, there's a lot to be said for chemistry.

For those that are intersted, Liam will be at Bottom of the Hill on May 5th! I'll be there.

• Options
    I thought the conversation that ensued about getting snubbed by the Academy Awards was pretty pretty cool.

You weren't near me, that's pretty much my barometer! But no, honestly right, I think you made an insightful and fruitful contribution -- it's an exceedingly fine line that I usually just save for the ballpark though.

Some foul-mouth B**** really uncorked something right before ARc if I recall, in like perfect silence. And yeah, I'm not one for song requests, just a slippery slope to "FREEBIRD!" -- But c'mon, "FOOTSTEPS!" also led to a pretty funny moment.

But it did get outta hand -- it's usually the witty one that CAN get in a good crack and riposte that then leads to "FREEBIRD!!!!"

Who ya gonna call?
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    I almost yelled "I'm a conservative and I love you!" Just to be annoying like the rest of the crowd. But I was afraid.....
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    jimed14 wrote:

For those that are intersted, Liam will be at Bottom of the Hill on May 5th! I'll be there.

Oh man, I've gotta go!! He was just too good not to see again.
  • Options
    I almost yelled "I'm a conservative and I love you!" Just to be annoying like the rest of the crowd. But I was afraid.....

Yeah, I was thinking of debating some of his comments in The Moving Train, but again. The fear! THE FEAR! THE HORROR!

If you don't want your kid recruited when they go off to college, Ed, raise them well, raise them to make good decisions. Griping about recruiters doesn't cut it with me.... Guess he'd prefer a draft?

oh right... No More War... was hard to hear the chorus ... in Berkeley!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    acutejam wrote:
    If you don't want your kid recruited when they go off to college, Ed, raise them well, raise them to make good decisions. Griping about recruiters doesn't cut it with me.... Guess he'd prefer a draft?

I couldn't agree more. Ed was WAY off the mark with those comments, and I generally agree with much of his politics. Berkeley's a big town - 100,000 people big - you think there isn't going to be a recruiting station there? What you said is right. Teach your kid to make good decisions, and if he or she feels that it is a good decision to join the Marines, then deal with it.
  • Options
    ruffianruffian Posts: 15
    It truly was an amazing show--I thought Eddie's voice was right on the mark and loved how often he switched out guitars and various other stringed instruments.

The only low points were the (mostly innane, and constant) loud fan comments. A few were funny and sparked comments from Ed, but I get the feeling that the majority of those doing the shouting are just taking advantage of the fact that they *can* be heard at an acoustic show. Seriously, STFU! There can be amazing crowd energy that isn't just based on fan "look at me!" narcissism.

Looking forward to tonight!
  • Options
    Gen5Gen5 Posts: 405
    I was 4th row seat 5...and I was the one who told ed he was my pete townsend and he leaned back and said "I get that"

Awwwwww.....I am so happy that you guys got to meet Ed....=) Wish I could have stayed.....what a magical moment for you guys....see you tonight....

Pati
    ~~Rain Love~~

www.myspace.com/poworgen5

www.generationFIVE.org
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    it looked like a photo
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2010
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    We're the Yeastie Girls
    And we got yeast power
    We don't shave our arm pits
    And we don't shower
    We don't say thank you
    And we don't say please
    Put things in our vaginas that you wouldn't believe

edit: I see it was already posted in another thread, but still hilarious!
  • Options
    TracerTracer Posts: 102
    chiefwigms wrote:
    i think it was around 2 or somethin.. too tired for work today

It was just before 2:00 am. Thanks again for waiting with me! Like I said, everything fell in to place last night.
  • Options
    gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    I couldn't agree more. Ed was WAY off the mark with those comments, and I generally agree with much of his politics. Berkeley's a big town - 100,000 people big - you think there isn't going to be a recruiting station there? What you said is right. Teach your kid to make good decisions, and if he or she feels that it is a good decision to join the Marines, then deal with it.

I think his issue was with recruiting stations on college campuses or right next to them...basically preying on the impressionable/broke students. Its great to raise your kids right, but a college freshman out on his own for the first time with no money who hasn't decided what to do with his life is a good target for the military. IMO school should be for learning...not signing up to shoot guns.
  • Options
    gtrplyrgtrplyr Posts: 115
    After plugging my ears for 45 mins. through Liam Finn and that fat cow hippie, Eliza Jane/Quasimoto, I had to wait another 45 min. for Ed to show up. It was fucking 8:53 when he walked on stage and I wish I could have stayed at Chez Panisse for that hour and a half wait.
    UGH!

You SHOULD have stayed at Chez Panisse. You sound like you fit right in with that crowd.

What a horrible thing to say. Its fine not to like Liam (who was quite entertaining, imo) but to insult Eliza Jane like that? Completely unnecessary.

Especially from someone with a forehead the size of Texas...

http://b4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01246/48/66/1246336684_l.jpg
  • Options
    pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    gtrplyr wrote:
    You SHOULD have stayed at Chez Panisse. You sound like you fit right in with that crowd.

What a horrible thing to say. Its fine not to like Liam (who was quite entertaining, imo) but to insult Eliza Jane like that? Completely unnecessary.

I actually really liked Eliza Jane. I thought she added a lot to the music and the show in general. I was up in the 4th row at SC and 6th at Berkeley 1, so I could see a lot of small things she did that were really endearing. Liam Finn is great and did a great job, but she really adds a nice cherry to the top, in my opinion. She seems so humble and unassuming. It's no wonder Ed wanted them to open.
  • Options
    gtrplyr wrote:

:rolleyes: um, it's called a "fivehead."

But you're right, I should have stayed at Chez Panisse. ;)