Options

**Berkeley Fanviews Here 04/07**

Comments

• Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    .... that fat cow hippie, Eliza Jane/Quasimoto

Wait, a woman wrote that !? The same one that is tired of hate-filled bullshit??

What exactly is the acceptable body fat percentage for female musicians to appear publically these days?

I'm female, non pot-smoking, non-hippie, liberal, and loved the two campfire-sing-along filled nights in SC and Berkeley.

I don't hate you, Crazy Mary. I just can't imagine what kind of show you were hoping for from Ed.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • Options
    kalikatkalikat Posts: 68
    oh well

it was a sketch, native american male. it looked like he was in the center of the paper, can't remember if it was framed or not. maybe it was......
    **There is a sickness, a sickness coming over me - like watching freedom, being sucked straight out to sea**
  • Options
    brainofmebrainofme Posts: 231
    kalikat wrote:
    Anyone notice the picture on the floor next to the table? Looked like a native american man - whats the story on that picture?

i don't know if it is the same picture, but i guess so. if i remember correctly, you could see a picture of a native american on the "immagine" dvd, when ed is backstage and working on/listening to "picture in a frame".

i wondered what it's about since having the dvd.
    Vienna, Austria 2006
    Munich, Germany 2007
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,795
    The one of these reviews I read the more jealous I get, this sounds so fucking awesome.

Soceity and parting ways...

A little comeback would be nice too though hey Eddie??
  • Options
    .... that fat cow hippie, Eliza Jane/Quasimoto
    Wait, a woman wrote that !? The same one that is tired of hate-filled bullshit??
    Thank you.

I'm glad somebody else thought to pull this unpleasant person up on their hypocrisy
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    Thank you.

I'm glad somebody else thought to pull this unpleasant person up on their hypocrisy

i was interested to read all commentary.. even if i don't agree...
    but i agree with the above poster...

that was just rude.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    i was interested to read all commentary.. even if i don't agree...
    but i agree with the above poster...

that was just rude.

Seriously. If you want to disagree with Ed's politics, cool deal. But none of us, to my knowledge, know EJ. She could very well be the nicest person on the planet. Who knows? And to attack her personal appearance like that. . .how do you sleep at night Crazy Mary? I've read some really stupid shit on this board, but that may very well be at the top of the list.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I begged begged begged for Satellite in Vancouver and he plays it in Berkeley?!?!! Dang Ed!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Ok, in retrospect, I realize I should have kept those thoughts to myself. My husband even said as I was writing it not to write that. I had just gotten home after no sleep the night before and traveling and I was bitter after having sat in those seats for 3.5 hours. I was venting and I should have known I'd be attacked for it, but I still had to get it off my chest. The end.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    Well, I hope you don't all hate me, but..........
    After plugging my ears for 45 mins. through Liam Finn and that fat cow hippie, Eliza Jane/Quasimoto, I had to wait another 45 min. for Ed to show up. It was fucking 8:53 when he walked on stage and I wish I could have stayed at Chez Panisse for that hour and a half wait.
    UGH!
    I left disappointed :(

WOW! I am shocked you didn't dig Liam..and to call Eliza a fat cow hippie..WTF are you thinking?!?!?! That is total disrespect..I thought she was a beautiful young lady with talent. Just think about it, she is on stage with Ed and you were NOT!!! I guess you are some beautiful skinny yuppie?!?!?! YUCK!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Found this review posted today in the SF Chronicle for Monday's show ... havne't seen it posted anyhwere ...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/09/DDAG101SSK.DTL

Vedder ventures into the wild, without a band, and connects with Berkeley crowd
    Joel Selvin, Chronicle Senior Pop Music Critic

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

With an Academy Award-nominated soundtrack far removed from the dense electric rock of his band Pearl Jam, songwriter Eddie Vedder took his first tentative steps toward galvanizing that solo career with a theater-date tour around California that played Monday at UC Berkeley's Zellerbach Auditorium.

So earnest it almost hurts, Vedder sampled his "Into the Wild" soundtrack, some Pearl Jam songs, favorites from the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens and others, in a sprawling, accomplished two-and-a-half-hour concert for an exuberant crowd that gobbled up the precious tickets as soon as they went on sale. Billed as his first solo tour, it is an act he has previously tried out before Bay Area audiences at acoustic performances for Neil Young's annual Bridge School benefits at Shoreline Amphitheatre.

He ambled out, sat on a stool and bent over an electric guitar to sing "Walking the Cow," a song written by Texas "outsider" songwriter Daniel Johnston, and didn't look up until he'd finished three songs. "I'm going to connect a lot of dots up here tonight," he told the reverent, raucous crowd.

Purposefully, carefully, Vedder worked his way through a program drawn from deliberately different areas of his work. He featured his guitar playing - something he doesn't get to do a lot in his rock band - decorating his strumming with Gypsy flourishes and sudden, little percussive belches. Slowly he opened up under the spotlight, warming to the task and allowing the fervent audience - Pearl Jam was one of the few rock bands of the '90s to attract that kind of fanatical followers - to shout out greetings he vaguely, respectfully acknowledged.

Vedder knows his audience. He could recollect in detail watching punk rockers Fugazi - and this was an audience that gave a roar of recognition to Fugazi, but barely tittered at the mention of folksinger Phil Ochs - at the defunct University Avenue nitery, Berkeley Square, where he met Tim Armstrong of Berkeley ska-punkers Rancid, name-checking Armstrong's original group (Operation Ivy) and mentioning an obscure set of records released from the Berkeley punk club, 924 Gilman Street.

He not only featured a segment devoted to songs from his Academy Award-nominated soundtrack - "Ahh, just something else to clean," he countered to someone from the crowd hollering he should have won the Oscar - but he also brought out Marin County songwriter Jerry Hannan at the encore to sing Hannan's "Society" from the soundtrack. "Wild" director Sean Penn was in the audience.

Vedder played electric ukulele and banjo. He also used a pair of microphones to make vocal loops that created an eerie wall of his own vocals to end the first set of encores. His own material leans toward an intense, droning style, using ringing chords to build rising choruses. When he applied his trademark vocal style to more melodic pieces, such as "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," he toed the edge of caricature.

His low-key manner and self-effacing instincts put him at ease with the audience, and Vedder is very much a performer who never entirely strips away his shyness. In the end, he wins over the audience with cozy intimacy that doesn't seem forced or practiced partly because he so clearly isn't entirely comfortable.

"I never went to school and I'm not used to being on campus," he said. "I'm not used to being around people smarter than me."

He chuckled at his own remark. "That's sort of evil, if you think about what I just said," he added.

Vedder wants to melt away the distinction between him and his audience. His songs stand on strong moral values, not just the obvious, preachy songs such as "No More," but even the more imagistic, evocative pieces. He may be a serious-to-the-point-of-somber, somewhat humorless young man, but he is desperately trying to communicate ideas to his audience.

Almost alone among the '90s rock bands, Pearl Jam kept a devoted following intrigued with the band after the hits. While there is no denying the contributions of his bandmates in the challenging rock outfit, it was Vedder and his sensitive, passionate persona - thinking man to slackers - that stood at the center of the band's appeal. If he wants to take this sly, personable solo act on the road, Vedder will find lots of interest.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Tracer wrote:
    It was just before 2:00 am. Thanks again for waiting with me! Like I said, everything fell in to place last night.

so you have the myspace radio show? what was it called again?
  • Options
    panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
    Ok, in retrospect, I realize I should have kept those thoughts to myself. My husband even said as I was writing it not to write that. I had just gotten home after no sleep the night before and traveling and I was bitter after having sat in those seats for 3.5 hours. I was venting and I should have known I'd be attacked for it, but I still had to get it off my chest. The end.

i totally understand venting and i do appreciate your new post...

thanks for that :)

i feel better now.

really.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Found this review posted today in the SF Chronicle for Monday's show ... havne't seen it posted anyhwere ...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/09/DDAG101SSK.DTL

Vedder ventures into the wild, without a band, and connects with Berkeley crowd
    Joel Selvin, Chronicle Senior Pop Music Critic

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"I never went to school and I'm not used to being on campus," he said. "I'm not used to being around people smarter than me."

He chuckled at his own remark. "That's sort of evil, if you think about what I just said," he added.

that's not what he said, why can't reporters ever get it right? don't they have notepads and blackberry's to take accurate notes?
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    that's not what he said, why can't reporters ever get it right? don't they have notepads and blackberry's to take accurate notes?

RIGHT! I totally spotted that too, it was more along the lines of, "that's kinda funny if you know me" or somethingi like that, I was 3rd row, never heard "evil" of any sort and I could hear him off mic!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    that was just rude.

The Quasimodo comment made me laugh, even though I don't agree with it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    RIGHT! I totally spotted that too, it was more along the lines of, "that's kinda funny if you know me" or somethingi like that, I was 3rd row, never heard "evil" of any sort and I could hear him off mic!

I think he actually said, "You have to be me to realize how funny that really is."

Here's Hard Sun:

http://flickr.com/photos/jarkel/2397509547/sizes/l/
  • Options
    Bingo! That sounds right!

Nice photo! MORE MORE!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    TracerTracer Posts: 104
    chiefwigms wrote:
    so you have the myspace radio show? what was it called again?

You can find our Myspace page at myspace.com/blacklistcomedy

Our actual radio show is available at krab.com on Sundays from 8-10 PM, and we'll most likely be talking a lot about Pearl Jam this week if I can persuade my boss to let me.
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Dear Crazy Mary,

We respect everyone’s point of view here and encourage both pro and con Fanviews. The personal attack in that post of yours, directed at this young artist, was totally out of line and hurtful. I was hurt just reading it.

Please remember supporting a future legend with a devoted following is a hard enough task. And then possibly coming here and having to read a personal insult like yours can be potentially crushing to some. It takes quite a bit of courage to do what Liam and E.J. are doing. They’re putting a lot on the line up there hoping to entertain and win over a few E.V. fanatics.

I think you should take it back and apologize. This would take courage from you. I hope you have it.

Sincerely, edwho

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    edwho wrote:
    Dear Crazy Mary,

We respect everyone’s point of view here and encourage both pro and con Fanviews. The personal attack in that post of yours, directed at this young artist, was totally out of line and hurtful. I was hurt just reading it.

Please remember supporting a future legend with a devoted following is a hard enough task. And then possibly coming here and having to read a personal insult like yours can be potentially crushing to some. It takes quite a bit of courage to do what Liam and E.J. are doing. They’re putting a lot on the line up there hoping to entertain and win over a few E.V. fanatics.

I think you should take it back and apologize. This would take courage from you. I hope you have it.

Sincerely, edwho
    wholeheartedly agree with this. if you don't like the supporting act, fine...then leave after the first song and go out in the lobby and have a beer or a glass of wine or something if it's THAT torturous to you. i've done that before for opening acts i didn't like. just a matter of respect. it takes a brass set to open for someone like ed. no need to bash the guy and EJ...which wasn't even based on the music but something personal...low class.

i saw liam last year when he was on tour with crowded house and was blown away then. he was just as much an incentive for me to see these shows as ed was, quite frankly.

the 2nd night, when he announced that his set was about over, i actually heard people around me say 'awwww', like they were disappointed his set was over....how often do you hear that about an opening act?!

so yeah, sure he isn't everybody's cup of tea, but just wanted to throw in more liam and EJ love here cuz they're deserving of it. looking forward to the bottom of the hill gig next month!
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    wholeheartedly agree with this. if you don't like the supporting act, fine...then leave after the first song and go out in the lobby and have a beer or a glass of wine or something if it's THAT torturous to you. i've done that before for opening acts i didn't like. just a matter of respect.

Man, I wish everyone had this philosophy ... I've had bad experiences at PJ shows with openers ... most notably, the Buzzcocks, people were just not digging them yet would not be respectful to those of us that *love* those guys.

I can't think of one bad opener at a PJ show I've been to ... all have been fantastic ... but, if it's not your "cup of tea" ... let the others around you enjoy it.

Overall, I think most of the crowd really enjoyed Liam .... and there was certianly a buzz in the air before the 2nd Berekeley show about him.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    Man, I wish everyone had this philosophy ... I've had bad experiences at PJ shows with openers ... most notably, the Buzzcocks, people were just not digging them yet would not be respectful to those of us that *love* those guys.

I can't think of one bad opener at a PJ show I've been to ... all have been fantastic ... but, if it's not your "cup of tea" ... let the others around you enjoy it.

Overall, I think most of the crowd really enjoyed Liam .... and there was certianly a buzz in the air before the 2nd Berekeley show about him.

I agree. I can't think of an opener for PJ that I hated (Urge Overkill, The Ramones, Supergrass, Idlewild, Sonic Youth, Liam Finn (w/Ed). I actually became a big fan of Idlewild from seeing them.
    But even if I didn't like the opening band I would show them respect.

I agree. I think there was a buzz about Liam at Berkeley 1, at least where I was. I ran into him while we were waiting to go to our seats and shook his hand and said I really enjoyed him in Santa Cruz.
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    jimed14 wrote:
    as stated in this, or the other thread, the lack of singing during "No More" was stunning ... jaw dropping stunning.

Let's pick it up tonight people. :D

Ahhh, well I reckon you need some Dutchies for that!! (see No More live at Nijmegen 07) :D:D
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    yeaahh, see i pay all these taxes here in the U.S. and yeah, i don't really use a lot of the services provided, ok maybe some schools and roads, a park or two, but i'm not really a key customer for the federal govt here, so you know.... singing out against war, yeah...

I like my gun camera footage when I can get it.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    yeaahh, see i pay all these taxes here in the U.S. and yeah, i don't really use a lot of the services provided, ok maybe some schools and roads, a park or two, but i'm not really a key customer for the federal govt here, so you know.... singing out against war, yeah...

I like my gun camera footage when I can get it.

What are you talking about?
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    What are you talking about?

just making lame excuses for why i didn't sing on monday :-(
    ie the only part of my taxpayer money i enjoy ... is war. And he wants me to sing against it? Stop my gun camera footage (the videos released by the pentagon from inside cockpits and tanks etc)?

i'll just keep that to myself perhaps....
    oh ... wait.
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    Yeah I think it was this thread -- here's a chroncile photo, you can kinda sorta see the photo leaning up against the table behind the corona case!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2008/04/09/DDAG101SSK.DTL&o=0

kinda? was that yours, person who said you gave it to ed after SC?
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    Ed looking at his harmonica holder: I just had an idea, I could put a smoke in one of these holder things. it would be a much smaller holder too, just so big...

[driftin]
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    he needs to cut that cig shit out soon. If he fucks up that gorgeous voice of his, I will be really sad. If nothing else, he should quit for his little girl. When my dad quit smoking my sister and I were so happy....

I think they might be HELPING him! His voice was golden wasn't it?

I've officially declared that Foxymop was played, he did the voice, it counts!

now that is a rarity