Options

**Berkeley Fanviews Here 04/07**

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
edited April 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Please share your show experiences here.

Ed Vedder April Fool's Tour

April 7, 2008 Zellerbach Theatre, Berkeley, California

Set List (unconfirmed): Walking The Cow, Around The Bend, I am Mine, Dead Man, I'm Open, Man of the Hour, Setting Forth, Guaranteed, No Ceiling, Far Behind, Rise, Millworker, Goodbye, Satellite, Drifting, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Here's to the State, Trouble, If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out, Parting Ways, Forever Young, Porch

1st encore: Society, Growin' Up, Lukin, No More, Arc

2nd encore: Hard Sun
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Parting Ways?!?!?!?
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860
    I was actually thinking last night that I really want to see parting ways.

Sounds like a great show for all who were there, we need some fanviews though!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Seems to be a trend setlist at these CA shows.... Play Gone , ED
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Parting Ways?!?!?!?

my thoughts exactly! this setlist i like the best so far - soping for parting ways in san diego!
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    What is Satelite? Is is that DMB song?
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    Can't believe we got Satellite and parting ways.

I did not hear a single problem with ed's voice. 10C gave me 4th row and it was awesome!

I did have a problem with the camera's and song request yellers, people it is not the place for it.

I also managed to meet ed afterward :D
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Brain Of E wrote:

No, it's a uke song from 2002. Ed played it at a couple of benefits in '02. It came from the same batch of songs as Can't Keep, Broken Heart, Goodbye, Longing To Belong, and Satellite.

Damn good songs. Damn good. The main reason I would like just one of these shows released.
  • Options
    mwbeck10mwbeck10 Posts: 274
    Brain Of E wrote:

Satelite was the song written for Damien Echols and his wife. Great song....great show. I got lucky through 10C and wound up with 2nd row center seats. By far the closest I has ever been. And I thought I was close in Santa Cruz (7th row). Just speechless.

Lot of yelling for requests. Best one by far was for Footsteps while Ed was having a smoke...walks over to his amp'd footboard (not really sure what it is) and stomps around...."Best songs are the ones I can play while having a smoke" or something along those lines. Finally Ed just told everyone to 'shut the fuck up'. At one point someone yells out 'Who you votin' for'? 10 seconds later an Obama '08 banner gets carried across the stage.

Ed just seemed perfect...might have had a cold, but sounded excellent. Parting Ways was incredible, Porch, everything from Into the Wild, Growin' Up...could go on and on...just unbelievable.
    10/27/00, 10/28/00, 10/20/01, 12/8/02, 6/1/03, 6/2/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 10/25/03, 10/28/03, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/5/08, 4/7/08, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/16/08
  • Options
    Fantastic time last night. Hats off to 10C for hooking me up with 10th row, thanks so much!!

Absolute pleasure to see EV in a venue like Zellerbach. The sound was excellent and it was nice to hear him so chatty and happy to be there.

Right after Liam Finn's set I cruised out to go to the bathroom and as I emptied out into the side hallway I look up and there is Sean Penn with his son walking towards the back stage entrance, pretty cool sighting.

Arc was nice to hear, as was Parting Ways.

Funny Ed-ism - "Tom Waits once told me silence is like a blank sheet of paper, when you want quiet you don't want to be looking at a page with scribbles all over it." classic!

His story about seeing Fugazi at Berkeley Square in '93 and talking with some guy for 45 minutes ended up being Tim Armstrong from Rancid.

Society with Jerry Hannan, awesome!

Have fun everyone who's going tonight, wish I was.

LF
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Posts: 182
    ARC is unbelievable. Well worth it just to see and hear that 1 song. Such a treat.

Thanks again 10c
  • Options
    oh yeah, one more thing, got to the venue around 7pm, no posters, no zippos. get there early for when doors open if you want the goods.

anyone going tonight want to pick me up either would be greatly appreciated, PM me if you're up for it.

cheers,
    LF
  • Options
    Can't believe we got Satellite and parting ways.

I did not hear a single problem with ed's voice. 10C gave me 4th row and it was awesome!

I did have a problem with the camera's and song request yellers, people it is not the place for it.

I also managed to meet ed afterward :D

same - 4th row (DD) seat 10... met Eddie too - right when he left the building...

I kept wanted to go to my car and get the poster I got signed, but I didn't wanna miss him... luckily the one of the guys that was standing with me (3 of us) had a playbill that fell out when he was gettin his poster signed..

awesome show!
  • Options
    chiefwigms wrote:
    same - 4th row (DD) seat 10... met Eddie too - right when he left the building...

I kept wanted to go to my car and get the poster I got signed, but I didn't wanna miss him... luckily the one of the guys that was standing with me (3 of us) had a playbill that fell out when he was gettin his poster signed..

awesome show!

I was 4th row seat 5...and I was the one who told ed he was my pete townsend and he leaned back and said "I get that"
  • Options
    kalikatkalikat Posts: 68
    He kept teasing the audience about being educated, and said he was excited to be on a college campus, since he never went to college. Also went into a rant on recruiters - saying how, as a parent, we can do our best to raise our kids and then recruiters set up right on the college campus....but that was one of the great things about america - opportunity was so abundant.

He seemed pretty comfortable up there, not making much eye contact with the crowd at first but warming right up. I am Mine was fantastic, Dead Man Walking, Around the Bend, eeeeek! Seems like he's sticking to a basic outline for all the shows so far, with a few gems thrown in. Hopefully the two Berkeley shows won't be identical, back to back.

It was such a heartfelt intimate night. Since I was lucky enough to be right up front too, I'm wondering what the show was like from the mezz (since I'm up there tonite).
    **There is a sickness, a sickness coming over me - like watching freedom, being sucked straight out to sea**
  • Options
    I think he asked about the recruitment office because one opened a little while ago in berkeley and it was a HUGE deal
  • Options
    kalikatkalikat Posts: 68
    Anyone notice the picture on the floor next to the table? Looked like a native american man - whats the story on that picture?
    **There is a sickness, a sickness coming over me - like watching freedom, being sucked straight out to sea**
  • Options
    kalikat wrote:
    Anyone notice the picture on the floor next to the table? Looked like a native american man - whats the story on that picture?

yeah I saw that, I wondered too
  • Options
  • Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    Brain Of E wrote:

This has been answered, but I can't stress enough how much of a beautiful little song this is. If there was ever a song to match that longing, loving and determined feeling, it's Satellite. It speaks to my heart.
  • Options
    Firecloud wrote:
    This has been answered, but I can't stress enough how much of a beautiful little song this is. If there was ever a song to match that longing, loving and determined feeling, it's Satellite. It speaks to my heart.

yes, very beautiful song. definitely a special moment last night getting to hear it played live for the first time, and with DE's wife in the audience.
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    Such an awesome show. I walked out of the Santa Cruz show speechless and then walked out of last nights Berkeley show even more speechless. When the Vancouver setlist was relayed and everyone was going on and on about Arc, I thought no bid deal, it's Arc. After hearing it again last night, it's a sound that will forever play in my head. The way Eddie did sang it last night was so unbelievable that I pray they put the bootlegs out of these shows soon!! Great setlist, Ed on the banjo, Forever Young, Lukin, ITW tracks, Ed's stories and rants, just so great last night. It's hard to compare the solo venue to full out Pearl Jam shows, but I feel priviledged to have gone to 2 of them and see Ed up there all by himself. I envy those going to the rest of the California shows.

Liam Finn, this guy is incredible. He seemed to be a little more calm last night than in SC, but needless to say, I'd go see this guy over and over again. He's a talent that no one else is like.

It was great to meet up with some friends met on the 06 tour and to meet some new friends from on here for the first time last night. I thought the crowd was really good last night. Some funny comments here and there, but a little more subdued than SC.

Have fun tonight everyone!
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I'll link this thread in here as many of us who just couldn't sleep got a head start on posting about last night's show .... lots of good show info in here.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=280772
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Ample JarAmple Jar Posts: 236
    chiefwigms wrote:

awesome show!
    sweet! i debate hanging around, but i was exhausted. what time did he finally come out?
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    jimed14 wrote:
    I'll link this thread in here as many of us who just couldn't sleep got a head start on posting about last night's show .... lots of good show info in here.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=280772

I still can't sleep!!
  • Options
    Ed mentioned how interesting it was being on a college campus and that he was humbled by being around so many smart people.

"I'm not used to being around so many people who are smarter than me.....I'm usually....", and then glanced from side to side behind him, a reference to the rest of the band. Subtle joke, but very funny.
    Seattle 2/5/95, Seattle 11/5/00, Seattle 12/5/02, Seattle 12/8/02, Seattle 12/9/02, Seattle 10/22/03, Seattle 9/1/05, SF 7/15/06, SF 7/16/06, SF 7/18/06, Berkeley 4/7/08 (EV), Berkeley 4/8/08 (EV), NYC 6/24/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, SF 8/28/09, Seattle 9/21/09, Seattle 9/22/09, Los Angeles 7/8/11 (EV), Santa Barbara 7/9/11 (EV), Vancouver 9/25/11
  • Options
    Ample Jar wrote:
    sweet! i debate hanging around, but i was exhausted. what time did he finally come out?

i think it was around 2 or somethin.. too tired for work today
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I had 10 club seats - row L seats 101 & 102. great show. high point for me was "here's to the state." great to hear live. also society with jerry was awesome. he's got a great voice. sounds like dylan.

thnx ten club for coming through with these seats and thnx ed liam ej and jerry for a fantastic show.

the feeling I had leaving the show was that I can't wait to see the full band again. ed is great, but the whole band is unparalleled.
  • Options
    A thought this morning from my brother: At no point did you feel like you were in a rock concert. You felt like you were hanging out with a friend.

Yeah, one that that is a kick ass artist, entertainer, facilitator, activist and one bad ass patriotic American.

Rock on Brother Ed, rock on.

A standing ovation on the upper level from me and my brother when the huge OBAMA 08 sign came out. (Why wasn't EVERYONE else standing?... dammit ? !!!)

How about a little props to the guy who shouted
    "YOU SHOULD HAVE WON AN ACADEMY AWARD!"

Oh wait that was me...
    Thanks for the applause everyone. I felt pretty vulnerable after I yelled it.

Loved his response:
    "What would Chris McCandless have done with a gold thing like that?"
    F'ing brilliant.

I was going to follow it up with:
    "'ENCHANTED' SUCKS!"
    But I decided to quit while I was ahead. Especially after his awesome. Tom Waitts quote about "Silence is like a blank piece a paper."

Sorry to doodle on your easel, friend. I hope my words were received well.

Forever Young. Awesome. I'm gonna learn to play that song again today for my kids.
    "What chance does Gotham have when the good people do nothing?"
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

How about a little props to the guy who shouted
    "YOU SHOULD HAVE WON AN ACADEMY AWARD!"

Oh wait that was me...

No props, people who feel they need to be a part of the show annoy the hell out of the majority ... just silly my man ... no matter how well you thought you were received.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    jimed14 wrote:
    No props, people who feel they need to be a part of the show annoy the hell out of the majority ... just still my man ... no matter how well you thought you were received.
    seriously.your words were not received well. you were fucking obnoxious. even ed said to shut the fuck up.