*** Bonnaroo Fanviews Here 6/14/2008 ***

Comments

• kirakira Posts: 20
    writin from the internet cafe here at bonnaroo and I must say that this show was excellent. i was totally blown away and shocked that they opened with hard to imagine with it being a festival, but they knew that this was going to be a special event, and it certainly was. the camera work was awesome on the video screens for those who couldn't see the show -- it was like an intimate concert dvd, and they even showed a peek at the setlist backstage on the video screen, Ed's scribbled list with the words "WMA" written on it -- i almost shit myself when I saw that this was in the cards when they came back onstage for an encore. wma was a bit different, starting off with just ed playing the guitar and singing, eventually leading into more of the wma that we know -- in any event, it was awesome. also, when the boom keys of love, reign came on, i again almost shit myself. it sounded ridiculously tight, and ed nailed the high notes at the end. i could go on, but there's people waitin for the computer, so i am off to rogue wave in 45 min at the which stage. see ya'all on the boards monday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thx for taking the time out to report back to us lonely-hearts-clubbers!!
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Holy shit, one of the best setlists I have ever seen,
    Come on MSG!!!!!!
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430
    writin from the internet cafe here at bonnaroo and I must say that this show was excellent. i was totally blown away and shocked that they opened with hard to imagine with it being a festival, but they knew that this was going to be a special event, and it certainly was. the camera work was awesome on the video screens for those who couldn't see the show -- it was like an intimate concert dvd, and they even showed a peek at the setlist backstage on the video screen, Ed's scribbled list with the words "WMA" written on it -- i almost shit myself when I saw that this was in the cards when they came back onstage for an encore. wma was a bit different, starting off with just ed playing the guitar and singing, eventually leading into more of the wma that we know -- in any event, it was awesome. also, when the boom keys of love, reign came on, i again almost shit myself. it sounded ridiculously tight, and ed nailed the high notes at the end. i could go on, but there's people waitin for the computer, so i am off to rogue wave in 45 min at the which stage. see ya'all on the boards monday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for takin' an internet moment!

I'm so bummed I wasn't able to go, though stoked for all those who did go!

What an awesome show! Just bought the boot!

(Alpine please!)
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Dan1984Dan1984 Posts: 444
    gutter444 wrote:
    Is the Bonnaroo show going to be available for download?

Yes it is up in the Goods section!
    06/05/2003 - San Diego
    06/06/2003 - Las Vegas
    06/07/2003 - Phoenix
  • GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I will post more when I get home tomorrow but I can say right now.

Oh my GOD!!!!

AMAZING. Thank you pearl jam. You fucking rock!!!!!
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    This setlist is amazing!!! I wish I was there!
    I want this boot.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Damn!!

Wish I was there!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Oh My Fucking God!!!!!!!!

Wma?!?!?!?!? What A Setlist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    At my age (37...ok, not that old, but getting there) / being a dad / etc, I've pretty much given up the idea of attending a festival like this...I did Bonnaroo back in '03, it was quite the experience, but as I move on in life I think more and more that I what I need to do is just go to a show in my city and then go home. (Granted, I contradicted that in WPB and Tampa, but I digress...)

So events like the 'Roo no longer hold much appeal for me, but after seeing the setlist...and reading that they played for 3 hours...and the other reviews...I can't help but grind my teeth a little in jealousy. Damn!
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    InThinAir wrote:
    Still shaking out the cob webs after what was a really long night but here's some details. So this is my 3rd Bonnaroo and having Pearl Jam there was like having two of my best friends meet for the first time and loving each other. Got up there about 3/4 of the way through BB King's set and started jockeying for position as the anticipation was really starting to build. Jack Johnson came out to an incredibly warm reception and played a killer set. He said at one point "are you guys as excited as I am to see Pearl Jam?" He then brought out Eddie to play a Jack song (Constellations I think). That was an exciting moment because it was our first glimpse of Eddie.

The stage set up is really cool with a big screen behind them with a wave mural and then two big PJ banners on each side of the stage. The lights go out and everyone goes nuts. Hard to Imagine was a great opener and he had the crowd singing instantly. If there was any question that this crowd belonged to PJ it was answered right then. Courdoroy was awesome and then All Night threw some people off but still sounded awesome. Who You Are is a song I've been waiting to hear for a long time. In preparation for this show I hadn't checked the setlists from the previous nights but someone had mentioned they played Who You Are so I had a feeling it was coming. They've reworked the drum intro and they nailed it, absolutely beautiful.

Half Full ripped, Mike did a blistering solo. Before Gone Eddie says that on January 8th, 2001 when Bush took office that gas was 1.56 a gallon and now it's 4.50. He said he wrote this next song when it was at about 2.75 and played Gone. Just mentioning Bush got mixed response from the crowd. Not like the San Francisco crowds I'm used to. Love Reign O'er Me was really solid, Eddie really put it down on this one.

During the first encore the camera man zoomed in on the setlist so we knew what was coming. I saw No More coming up and wondered how it would go with the crowd. Eddie comes out and says "we were talking backstage and you guys really remind us of a crowd at a festival in Amsterdam. All I need now is for you to tell me to go fuck myself in Dutch, Don't worry you'll get your chance in a bit" a reference to No More? I don't know. WMA sounded really, really good. Reworked just enough and it extended out nicely.

For the 2nd Encore he came out alone and told the story of the guy from Body of War. He recently slipped into a coma and Eddie was obviously affected by it, in fact he seemed to be battling a lot of emotion all night. He said I know there's a time and a place to talk about this stuff but I'm pissed!!! He then talked about how the 80,000 people here have the power to change the world. The crowd came around for No More and really made it a nice sing along. Eddie said that if we sang along he'd said Thomas the tape. I had seen Release on the setlist and thought it was really odd to be played so late. Eddie talked about how their friend had lost their Father the day before and he was going to play this for him. The most amazing Release ever with Eddie crying throughout.

To backtrack a second during the 2nd encore break the crowd starting singing Alive on it's own, in fact it sounded like the whole crowd was signing it so Alive was a big hit when they played not to mention that I think Eddie was into bottle of wine number 3 by that point. Yellow Ledbetter and Indifference were on the setlist as the closers but they must have changed it up and went with Watchtower.

All in all the most amazing PJ show I have been to. I was proud to be a PJ fan. The band really, really brought it and I have a feeling will go down in Bonnaroo history as one of their best headliner ever, hands down the best in my book. Sorry for the long review but last night's show was a marathon, not to mention Kanye West finally coming onstage at 4:30 in the morning and playing until the sun came up. Bonnaroo is nuts, absolutely nuts!!!

Awesome review and I wish I could have been there. After seeing them in Tampa and reading this is I know why we all love this fucking band.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    great review thinair. sounds like a beautiful show....funny how the camera man showed you guys the setlist!

cant wait to hear this show.

It wasnt an accurate setlist that they showed on the big screen. It had wash, YL, and Indifference on it as well... Maybe a few more too. It wasnt up on the screen no more than 10 secs. But other than that I really am still speechless. That set completely drained every ounce of energy from me. I was front row against the rail. I waited with a few others from 1:00pm to get that close. I was the 6th person in line and it was sooo worth it!
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Wow. I'm in complete shock. Who'd have thought that a festival would have gotten the best set of the tour...
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    All Night Is A Rocking Tune. Can't Wait To Hear Live Version!!!!!
    A few pics from front row. Dont know how these will turn out but...

Edit** Ill put them a little later. Sorry
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Good fucking Jesus that is one hell of a setlist. Holy fucking shitballs!
  • Kat wrote:
    June 14, 2008 - Bonnaroo Festival, Manchester, TN, U.S.A.

Set List: Hard to Imagine, Corduroy, All Night, Why Go, Small Town, Down, Who You Are, Severed Hand, 1/2 Full, Animal, Even Flow, Daughter/Blitzkrieg Pop, Gone, Love Reign O'er Me (Townshend), Do The Evolution, Rearviewmirror

Encore 1: W.M.A., Better Man/Save It For Later (Roger Charlery, Andy Cox, Everett Morton, David Steele, Dave Wakeling), Black, Life Wasted, Crazy Mary (Williams), Porch

Encore 2: No More, Release, Alive, All Along the Watchtower (Dylan)

Please share your Fanviews of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

OHHHHH please please please, play Love reign o'er me at Mansfield 2! PLEASE!!! To hear this song live would be the next best thing to hearing I am one!!!!
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Wish this would have been the setlist at Lolla last year. It's not even close, Bonnaroo 08 blew away Lolla 07.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I do love me some Widespread Panic but it's clear by now that Bonnaroo '08 belongs to Pearl Jam...and my jealousy continues unabated, even though I'm going to Columbia tomorrow...
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,673
    Ok we just got back from Bonnaroo and I must say last night was the single greatest night of my life.... I was right behind Zach who did the Spin magazine blog, I was wearing the boston red sox hat and going freaking nuts all night long... to those of you who are all like "well i dont think i wanna go to a show like that cause its a bunch of stinky hippy people" then you have no idea what you missed.... It was perfect, Eddie was amazed at the crowd and how well we reacted to some of the more rare songs like All Night and Hard To Imagine.... WMA was unbelievable I never thought I would see it.... Paul Rudd and the Olson twins were all there.... The alive chorus chant was a very surreal moment and Eddie was very touvhed by the crowd being so into the set... Mike was going insane on guitar, jeff was jumping about every other song, stone was duck walking and matt was pounding away.... crazy mary was so cool when edd came out and passed his wine bottle around...
    Who You Are was so beautiful... Im still in shock right now really, it was THE BEST PJ SHOW EVER.... I have seen them a number of times but if you are a diehard fan like i have been for over 14 years then this was the show you have been waiting for the band to play... VA Beach and DC here I come!!!!!!
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • i wanna hear All night in DC or MSG!!!

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!
  • Ladies and gentlemen...

Pearl Jam has just brought their A game.
  • Did they play Life Wasted? It's not on the setlist, but Fuse is showing some stuff from Bonnaroo and was just showing PJ playing Life Wasted.
    Did they play Life Wasted? It's not on the setlist, but Fuse is showing some stuff from Bonnaroo and was just showing PJ playing Life Wasted.

Yes they did.
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    I feel like I completely missed out on what will be the best Pearl Jam show from here on out...

I wish I had a time machine :(
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • stone was doin his old school duck walk???!!!!! that guy barely moves around the stage these days. awesome. I don't travel more than a few hours to see these guys but this wouldve been worth it.
  • That was my first PJ show and my God it was sick! That setlist was so unexpected. Even I expected the greatest hits/standard setlist because it was a festival and the way Lolla went last year. It was the complete and total opposite. I even thought Ed might not be all into it due to it being a festival..etc. I was so wrong. I couldnt have asked for a better performance and show. Ed and Mike were exceptionally full on energy and good spirit.

When I first heard the opening notes to Hard to Imagine I couldn't get over it I was utterly shocked and in awe. I thought Severed Hand was going to be the opener because I heard the intro earlier on during the day while I was standing at the front of the gates. I may have talked to some of you. I had a gray PJ shirt on. I talked and had a guy with a red Portland 2006 shirt on in front of me. Anyways, a little after that when they played All Night, Who You Are, Down, and WMA I knew this show was going to be special. All Night hit me like a ton of bricks. It sounded so good. Ed was incredible, especially on that song. WMA sounded very powerful. It was reworked some, not to the extent Garden was in 06, but it was quite good.

How did Ed sound? Very good. I don't think he sounded as good as he did in 2006 like someone else mentioned, but to be so early on in the tour he sounded incredible. He was exceptional on No More, All Night, WMA, and Release. Release as an encore? Blew my arse away! It sounded so cool to hear it so late in the set. And to conclude, it was a fantastic show and an incredible way to experience PJ for the first time.

BTW, there was a cool Canadian couple that stood beside us at the fence(I was pretty close to the stage) from about 2 PM and until the show ended. They were so nice and cool. Maybe they are on here?
    My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
  • Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    Have you guys heard the news all over the AP wire. Metallica filed charges against Pearl Jam last night after being visible bent over and raped in front of the world with a concert that will go down in history. The guys just keep on kicking ass after 18 years. I know it's not a contest, but I heard alot about how huge Metallica was, and Pearl Jam would not be able to stay up with them. I heard how Pearl Jam doesn't sell X amount of albums anymore so the crowd won't be as big as Metallica's. Kaboom, stuff all that up your ass, PJ fuckn' blew the windows out of Metallica's tour bus. I kinda think Pearl Jam is reaching a level that has never before been reached by a live rock band. It's starting to get scary how unbelievable they are becoming.
  • And one more thing, Matt Cameron kicked ass on Who You Are and WMA both. For all those who doubted. "They don't play the song because Matt cant play it." I knew that was bull. Was it in the same style and vibe of Dave and Jack? No it wasn't. Was it great... certainly yes. Matt sounded very good on WMA.
  • PJAMEDVED wrote:
    Have you guys heard the news all over the AP wire. Metallica filed charges against Pearl Jam last night after being visible bent over and raped in front of the world with a concert that will go down in history. The guys just keep on kicking ass after 18 years. I know it's not a contest, but I heard alot about how huge Metallica was, and Pearl Jam would not be able to stay up with them. I heard how Pearl Jam doesn't sell X amount of albums anymore so the crowd won't be as big as Metallica's. Kaboom, stuff all that up your ass, PJ fuckn' blew the windows out of Metallica's tour bus. I kinda think Pearl Jam is reaching a level that has never before been reached by a live rock band. It's starting to get scary how unbelievable they are becoming.

I love Metallica, and they were completely awesome at the show, but Pearl Jam did in fact blow them out of the water completely. More than what I thought they would.