*** Bonnaroo Fanviews Here 6/14/2008 ***

Comments

• stankratzstankratz Posts: 183
    Firstly I have to say in the highest regards that Bonnaroo is an amazing experience. The wealth of music and good vibes is virtually unlimited. Now for Pearl Jam - OH MY SWEET JESUS TITTY-F**KING CHRIST!!! Does that do anything to convey the feeling??? You know the set, seen the reviews, so I won't rub it in anymore to those who weren't there, but I'd seen the guys 3 times before Bonnaroo and each show keeps getting better, but for Bonnaroo there was a magic happening on stage that despite best intentions only happens several times in a bands career. They made a show of every other act at Bonnaroo, well everyone except Swell Season who after PJ are my highlight of the festival. But i'm so pissed that after a feeling of natural euphoria that lasted throughout Pearl Jam, I was brought right down when my friend talked me into staying for Kanye West. I didn't know any of his stuff but thought "Hey try new things!". Well I really really really really should have turned on my heels and left after the guys finished, cause I went from that 'tears streaming down my face' euphoria to the exact opposite end of the scale. I could go on a serious rant here but i'll try to keep it short. Kanye West had a window of opportunity to gain my attention, and thousands of other potential new fans. After a while people started noticing that 2.45am passed and no sign of him. Then after 2 hours people were really pissed! It was embarassing, his crew were on the stage pretending to be setting up lights and shit, but after doing that....ah look i'm bored even typing this. By the time he came onstage I was utterly disgusted. To think that several hours earlier PJ rocked that same stage it honestly made my stomach turn. As soon as he came onstage I got outta there. My mate who stayed told me that he didn't once speak to the fans, nevermind apologise or excuse the lateness. Kanye you are not fit to get down on your knees and lick the boots of Ed, Mike, Stone, Jeff, Matt and Boom. Nuff said. Anyway on my way back thru Centeroo the Troo music lounge was deserted and there was a drum kit set up on stage. I beat the shit out of the drums for an hour and all was good again.
  • jmsjms Posts: 243
    Until Saturday night the best concert I had ever seen was a Pearl Jam show in Murfreesboro, Tennessee in March of 1994. I think this one was a bit better.
  • First off, AndySlash, if you would have come forward about 50 yards you could have hung out with me and my son. We were surrounded by casual fans as well and it would have been nice having a real fan around.

I won't rehash what a lot of others have written about the show, but just want to add a few of my thoughts. Until Saturday night, the best show I had ever seen was Chris Cornell at City Hall in Nashville last year. PJ took that spot Saturday. It was everything a rock concert should be. Friday night before Metallica, Chris Rock introduced them as the "greatest fuckin' rock band in the world." Not by a long shot, that title belongs to the band that played there Saturday night.

Eddie was simply amazing, he was obviously emotional during "No More" and "Release" and you could tell he was won over by the vibe of the place. He sang "Love Reign O'er Me" like his life depended on it and the song almost brought me to tears.

Being in the middle of 70,000 people singing "I'm still alive..." together was beyond description.

Telling my son that "Corduroy" would be the 2nd song and being right got me even since he correctly guessed that Lez Zeppelin would open with "Communication Breakdown" on Thursday night.

Having my son next to me, both of us rocking out to "Life Wasted" and realizing that it was now Father's Day is a moment I'll never forget.

When they left the stage after the 2nd encore I kept telling my son they had to play Y.L. because it was on the set list they showed on the screen. But they came back and did a blistering version of "Watchtower"

I haven't said "I wish they had played ...", even though there were other songs I was hoping to hear, but the show was just so damn good, nothing seemed missing.

At one point in the show, the moon was directly over the stage, which was very cool.

No one else mentioned if they caught Harrybu McCage, Matt Cameron's jazz trio the next day. I saw their 30 minute set on the Sonic Stage and they sounded great. It was very cool to watch Matt drum from about 20 feet away.
  • tenforthewintenforthewin Posts: 177
    First off, AndySlash, if you would have come forward about 50 yards you could have hung out with me and my son. We were surrounded by casual fans as well and it would have been nice having a real fan around.

I won't rehash what a lot of others have written about the show, but just want to add a few of my thoughts. Until Saturday night, the best show I had ever seen was Chris Cornell at City Hall in Nashville last year. PJ took that spot Saturday. It was everything a rock concert should be. Friday night before Metallica, Chris Rock introduced them as the "greatest fuckin' rock band in the world." Not by a long shot, that title belongs to the band that played there Saturday night.

Eddie was simply amazing, he was obviously emotional during "No More" and "Release" and you could tell he was won over by the vibe of the place. He sang "Love Reign O'er Me" like his life depended on it and the song almost brought me to tears.

Being in the middle of 70,000 people singing "I'm still alive..." together was beyond description.

Telling my son that "Corduroy" would be the 2nd song and being right got me even since he correctly guessed that Lez Zeppelin would open with "Communication Breakdown" on Thursday night.

Having my son next to me, both of us rocking out to "Life Wasted" and realizing that it was now Father's Day is a moment I'll never forget.

When they left the stage after the 2nd encore I kept telling my son they had to play Y.L. because it was on the set list they showed on the screen. But they came back and did a blistering version of "Watchtower"

I haven't said "I wish they had played ...", even though there were other songs I was hoping to hear, but the show was just so damn good, nothing seemed missing.

At one point in the show, the moon was directly over the stage, which was very cool.

No one else mentioned if they caught Harrybu McCage, Matt Cameron's jazz trio the next day. I saw their 30 minute set on the Sonic Stage and they sounded great. It was very cool to watch Matt drum from about 20 feet away.

I saw Harrybu at the Jazz tent at 6:00. There were only about 20 people there watching, I was right up against the stage. I actually caught Matt riding on a golf cart to the Sonic Stage and said hey great show last night and he said thank you. Very Cool stuff.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • JLFJLF Posts: 10
    I was a Bonnavirgin until this year. What a great year to be there. The sound from Pearl Jam was unbelievable where I was. The sound from my seats at the 06 US Bank Arena was absolutely dreadful. The sound at Bonnaroo was so clear it was as if Eddie was sitting next to me singing right in my ear. How AWESOME! I definitely recommend the download when it arrives, the performance was just unbelievable.

J
    Bummer, only one so far --> 6/24/06. It was the best though -- Cincy rocks!
    Add a second --> 6/14/08. Bonnaroooooo! Outstandingly and I was Lucky Enough to be There!
    First off, AndySlash, if you would have come forward about 50 yards you could have hung out with me and my son. We were surrounded by casual fans as well and it would have been nice having a real fan around.

I prayed for Long Road at 06 US BANK ARENA and damn if it wasn't the 1st song and also the clearest song from our seats. So I was happy and got to cross off something from the life list. I thought it would be cool to hear it again at Bonnaroo amongst all of those really cool people, but, what is my all time favorite live song? Oh Yeah....All Along the Watchtower and DAMN if they didn't play it and I was there to hear it. I can't imagine how PJ is going to top those 2 songs and my first 2 PJ concerts when I get to go to my 3rd PJ concert --- maybe some, well who knows....

J
    Add a second --> 6/14/08. Bonnaroooooo! Outstandingly and I was Lucky Enough to be There!
    The more I read you guys' fantastic reviews the more I get filled with envy and jealousy :p But it's a bittersweet kinda thing, I'm really glad for all the fans that went and especially those that went to see PJ for a first time, is really really awesome for you guys! But hehe I'm only human so I can't help but feel jealous, Aaah, I really wish my first PJ concert will be as amazing as that! Thank you to all who posted some kick ass reviews, Spoony C and AndySlash and all of you, made me feel like for just a little second that I was there in the crowd, front line ofcourse :p watching PJ give their hailed effin awesome performance, so I thank you guys for giving me that image :D And AtlantaJammer, thanks a whole lot for the photos! They look awesome, seems like you were positioned at a nice view. And to hear Eddie do Love Reign o'er me live! That's a fucking dream! I love The Who and to see Ed do it and nail it....Wow, you guys are really lucky :D And I'm glad that you went! Aaah! I really hope PJ tours in 2009 and carry it out to 2010, I know that's very demanding of me! But I really wanna see them lol and in a generation so full of crappy music, it's great to have PJ still standing and still proving to fans and others alike that they are one of the greatest rock'n'roll bands around today! Again, keep those awesome reviews coming, I just love to read them, they really are special so keep on writing folks!

Sorry to maybe add to your pain but Bonnaroo was so hot on Thursday, Rainy on Friday and then THE PERFECT WEATHER on Saturday. The sky above PJ was scattered clouds with a lovely waxing moon, a nice cool breeze, tiny twinkling stars, a lovely planet hanging just left of stage, somewhere out there in the dark of the sky, I know there were just a whole bunch of rainbows and smiles for us that were there. Maybe if we beg and plead a whole, whole, whole lot, just maybe they will be back at Bonnaroo for 09 and we can ALL be there....

BTW, once PJ left the stage, it got REAL hot again. It was so hot, we couldn't even sit for Jakob Dylan's cool voice -- so I was robbed in a way, just not by PJ.
  • ReleasHReleasH Posts: 743
    Until Saturday night, the best show I had ever seen was Chris Cornell at City Hall in Nashville last year. PJ took that spot Saturday. It was everything a rock concert should be.

I was at that awesome Cornell concert at City Hall last year. It was great despite being unbelievably hot due to the broken A/C, but PJ has always held the honor of "best show" for me. Bonnaroo '08 took "best show" to a new level.

I also caught Harrybu McCage at 3:00 on the Sonic Stage. I'm a fan of jazz, but didn't like all their stuff. The last song was great though.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I've seen them six times in the past five years and this was easily my favorite show. Probably the best concert i've ever been to. Mike was tearing it up and really getting the crowd going. Eddie sounded phenomonal, the setlist was great, everything was amazing....blew me away.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    I thought it was really exciting to get crushed by the crowd trying to get into the Pit!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • MakeMeCry43MakeMeCry43 Posts: 355
    Hey JLF, haha no problem you can add to my pain all you want, as long as you're happy then I'll try to be happy having knowing that I missed one of the awesomest PJ shows to date...:p but the way you described the scenery and all, nicely done, are you sure you're not an author? :p I say amen to the begging and the pleading, that'd be real awesome if they come back for Roo 09 and it'd be even more awesome if ALL of us can be there, real fans meeting real fans and rocking out to a band that brought us all here....I can't imagine how great that would be!

hahah Krobbinz, but I'm sure all that crushing was worth it in the end, wasn't it? :D

jeffwmartin, thank you for that real sweet ass review! Made me smile! Nothing like spending father's day at a PJ concert and with your son....that's wonderful :D and oh, Chris Cornell is awesome, lucky duck you got to see him and PJ...ofcourse PJ now has overpassed Cornell...but hey I still love both!
    "Does anyone remember laughter?"

"Where's Mike McCready? My god he's been ate!"

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Five days later it is still hard for me to believe I witnessed this show...my mind was totally blown and still is. I mean, three lost dogs within the first seven songs, one making its debut, not to mention Reign O'er Me, WMA, Watchtower, Why Go. I'm a guy who was a born-again PJ virgin, as the only other time I saw them was '95 New Orleans, but if Bonnaroo doesn't go down as one of the greatest shows they've ever played I will be shocked.
    Totally unbelieveable day all the way around, as we lined up at 11 that morning and spent the day chatting with all great PJ fans from around the country. It was one of if not the best days of my life.
    I never dreamed in a million years I would be able to get front row but there I was right in front of Mike....he even returned a point to me once.
    GREATEST BAND EVER!!!!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • AndySlash wrote:
    Ed started Release by saying it wasn't the usual spot for this song to be played, but that Release was being dedicated to a young man named Luke. He didn't elaborate much on why, that I recall.

Tim Russert died suddenly on Friday and he has a son named Luke. Coincidence?
  • tenforthewintenforthewin Posts: 177

I'll be damn, that's exactly who it was I didn't think about that at all until now. That gives the whole Release into Alive transition thing that much more meaning.
    Bonnaroo '08
    Ooooh yeah, I never thought about that either covered in bliss, I haven't been to the show or anything, but I was wondering from reading all the reviews who this "Luke" was...aww how beautiful from Eddie....and now I think that's who it is, it makes sense....

"If you're an Elvis fan, there's no explanation necessary; if you're not, there's no explanation possible."

"Sometimes God makes perfect people and Paul Newman was one of them." - RIP Paul Newman
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236

huh. thanks for pointing that out.

Listening to the audience recording, I was wrong in my recap- he did explain why Release was being played, obviously. Somehow I either didn't hear it or just didn't remember.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I just wanna say that the sound from the What Stage was INCREDIBLE. It was so clean and crisp and managed to be insanely loud at the same time. Pearl Jam benefited greatly from the sound, as did everyone who played on that stage. For that reason, it was the best sounding PJ show I've ever witnessed. Obviously, I was thrilled with the rarities (All Night, Who You Are, WMA) and there wasn't a soul around who wasn't blown away by Love Reign O'er Me. The band was on fire all night.

I hope they play Bonnaroo again. Best vacation I've had.
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I just wanna say that the sound from the What Stage was INCREDIBLE. It was so clean and crisp and managed to be insanely loud at the same time. Pearl Jam benefited greatly from the sound, as did everyone who played on that stage. For that reason, it was the best sounding PJ show I've ever witnessed. Obviously, I was thrilled with the rarities (All Night, Who You Are, WMA) and there wasn't a soul around who wasn't blown away by Love Reign O'er Me. The band was on fire all night.

I hope they play Bonnaroo again. Best vacation I've had.
    And best of all you didn't puke, eh? :D
  • piombapiomba Posts: 103
    what a weekend. bonnarooooooo! see yall in nyc at msg.
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Fanfuckingtastic concert. Couldn't have asked for more really. Now if Pearl Jam would come play at Indy...
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all

Retarded is indeed the right word to describe this review...Repetitive but good? Just good? How about all the BLAZING and amazing reviews about this show that are like everywhere all over the net....sheesh!

• jmsjms Posts: 243
    Retarded is indeed the right word to describe this review...Repetitive but good? Just good? How about all the BLAZING and amazing reviews about this show that are like everywhere all over the net....sheesh!

The people I was with weren't even huge PJ fans and they said it was the best show of the entire weekend and one of the best they had ever seen. I remember everybody being totally blown away and wanting more.

But it's a big place and maybe we were in two totally different spots. Or maybe this guy just wants some hits for his blog so he decided to be different.

More than likely this person wanted to look smart and snobby so they came up with something like this.

Every person I was around and talked to later that night enjoyed every second of that ahow and I feel sorry for anybody that didn't.

On edit: I don't remember World Wide Suicide. I could be wrong.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    jms wrote:
    On edit: I don't remember World Wide Suicide. I could be wrong.

dude mistook it for Why Go.

That's a poorly written review that no one will take seriously, regardless of how they actually felt about the show. I'd just ignore it, really- not worht anyone's time in trying to rebut.
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    After last night's show in Camden, I've now been lucky enough to see Pearl Jam 75 times. Bonnaroo is easily top 4 alltime for me. Up there with my first PJ show (4/10/92) , Philly 4/28/03, and Gorge 1 '06. An absolutely epic performance. It was the perfect storm for me. THE BEST live band , a gorgeous night, and a huge, very loud, crowd.

As mentioned , the sound quality was pristine. As an aside, I left Widespread Panic early Sunday night because I was flying to Columbia the next day from Nashville. Every note , every word was heard perfectly from the Day Parking lot ... a half mile or maybe more from the stage.

I would love to see Pearl Jam release its next album next June if it meant a repeat Roo performance. Maybe a Pearl Jam , please play Bonnaroo again thread.

Highlights: Hard to Imagine and the spine tingles it brought , Love Reign O'er Me full of incredible passion, WMA , All Night, the ethereal qualities of a soaring Crazy Mary, just watching the sea of 60,000 plus go nuts during Alive.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Blind3 wrote:
    After last night's show in Camden, I've now been lucky enough to see Pearl Jam 75 times. Bonnaroo is easily top 4 alltime for me. Up there with my first PJ show (4/10/92) , Philly 4/28/03, and Gorge 1 '06. An absolutely epic performance. It was the perfect storm for me. THE BEST live band , a gorgeous night, and a huge, very loud, crowd.

As mentioned , the sound quality was pristine. As an aside, I left Widespread Panic early Sunday night because I was flying to Columbia the next day from Nashville. Every note , every word was heard perfectly from the Day Parking lot ... a half mile or maybe more from the stage.

I would love to see Pearl Jam release its next album next June if it meant a repeat Roo performance. Maybe a Pearl Jam , please play Bonnaroo again thread.

Highlights: Hard to Imagine and the spine tingles it brought , Love Reign O'er Me full of incredible passion, WMA , All Night, the ethereal qualities of a soaring Crazy Mary, just watching the sea of 60,000 plus go nuts during Alive.
    Hey! I think i met you at the Harrybu McCage show on Sunday!

Bonnaroo was my favorite show out of my 11 that I've seen and I'd love to go back again. I don't see PJ playing it again next year, but this band always loves to surprise it fans. :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    Blind3 wrote:
    I've now been lucky enough to see Pearl Jam 75 times.
    http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/74/74345/48_lucky_bastard_royal_flush_belt_buckle.jpg
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • MargoMargo Posts: 256
    Amsterdam 1996, Arnhem 2006, Nijmegen 2007, Dusseldorf 2007, Rotterdam 2009
    London 2009, Dublin 2010, Belfast 2010, Nijmegen 2010, Manchester I & II 2012, Amsterdam I 2012, Stockholm 2012, EV Amsterdam I 2012
  • I'll say it again

It's been said enough

Bonnaroo sucked

Ed, please stop drinking
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08