*** Bonnaroo Fanviews Here 6/14/2008 ***

12346»

Comments

• nin4325nin4325 Posts: 3
    Yeah, I'm so glad I went. Best concert ever - I cried through almost the entire set.

A lot of you seem to have been up front on Stone's side. Are Joe, Moe, and Dale from DC on this forum?
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    I listened to this boot again today and loved every single second of it.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,659
    LukinFan wrote:
    I listened to this boot again today and loved every single second of it.
    Is it available for d/l or are you listening to a different copy?
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    I got lucky enough to survive the crush of people getting into the pit on Mikes side and it was my first time being that close to the band.

but I didnt think it was a very good vantage point, I am sure stage had to be higher due to the bigger venue but I hardly seen Mike all night.

Also, Ed never came over to that side, from my memory I dont ever remember him on that side through any shows or videos I have seen...is this accurate?

Loved every minute of it, just suprised thats all!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
    krobbinz wrote:
    I got lucky enough to survive the crush of people getting into the pit on Mikes side and it was my first time being that close to the band.

but I didnt think it was a very good vantage point, I am sure stage had to be higher due to the bigger venue but I hardly seen Mike all night.

Also, Ed never came over to that side, from my memory I dont ever remember him on that side through any shows or videos I have seen...is this accurate?

Yeah, I was up there right in front of Mike...and was lucky enough to catch a pick. Ed definitely favored Stone's side that night but I'd still take Mike's side...any day of the week. It does seem like Ed goes left more than right, but I've been to shows on Mike's side where Ed's come over.
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    krobbinz wrote:

What??? He came to your side of the pit a few times! Crazy Mary he passed his wine to you guys. You musta been at the back of the pit?? But still, it was on the jumbo-Tron.
    What??? He came to your side of the pit a few times! Crazy Mary he passed his wine to you guys. You musta been at the back of the pit?? But still, it was on the jumbo-Tron.
    Barely. I was at the front, right in front of Mike and from my view EV just disappeared when he went down to pass the wine. He may have been on Mike's side, technically, but he never even came close to Mike, whereas he went to the edge of the stage on Stone's side.
    Is it available for d/l or are you listening to a different copy?
    PM sent
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• tenforthewintenforthewin Posts: 177
    Seems like a lot of folks are trying to disown the Roo set and play it down. Sure in context of the entire tour it might not seem as impressive, but that initial shock right after the show was something I'll never forget. It was the first real "Wow!" setlist on the tour I would say, and it set the bar for the rest of the tour. You could really ttell the band wanted to pull out all the stops. There were worse setlists on this tour (much worse), I'll say it's the best FESTIVAL show the band has ever played. The feeling and atmosphere of this show was great. 70,000+ people all focused on the same thing. This was the biggest turnout Bonnaroo has ever had for a headliner(the head of security said this). I guess this is just one of those "you just had to be there" things. I'm glad I was there though...
    Bonnaroo '08
    I'll say it's the best FESTIVAL show the band has ever played.
    x2
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    Seems like a lot of folks are trying to disown the Roo set and play it down. Sure in context of the entire tour it might not seem as impressive, but that initial shock right after the show was something I'll never forget. It was the first real "Wow!" setlist on the tour I would say, and it set the bar for the rest of the tour. You could really ttell the band wanted to pull out all the stops. There were worse setlists on this tour (much worse), I'll say it's the best FESTIVAL show the band has ever played. The feeling and atmosphere of this show was great. 70,000+ people all focused on the same thing. This was the biggest turnout Bonnaroo has ever had for a headliner(the head of security said this). I guess this is just one of those "you just had to be there" things. I'm glad I was there though...

Whos playing it down?
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191

I think some people that can't admit Bonnaroo was one of, if not the best show of the tour assumed ahead of time it would suck just because it was a festival. They don't want to admit now how great it was, of course some can't understand that because they were not there.

About the turnout there, I can't believe there were more people at Pearl Jam's show at Roo than were at Radiohead in 2006. Attendance was down this year, but I believe it would have had the best turnout that weekend. It's also possible that a greater percentage of Bonnaroo attendees were there compared to the percentage that saw Radiohead in 2006.

Bonnaroo is the best venue to see any musician(s). The sound quality is superb, much better than many amphitheaters, especially Camden. The atmosphere is also wonderful with so many other around who are also there to enjoy the music and have a good time. As Ben Harper said during his performance there in 2007, Bonnaroo is "the greatest festival in the world."
  • Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    Well, it took me a while, but I finally wrote a lengthy review of the show (mostly from memory, since the bootlegs are delayed, so forgive me if I mixed a detail or two) on a blog that a friend and I have:

http://theoutfieldiseating.blogspot.com/2008/07/show-ill-never-forget-pearl-jam-at.html

Fair warning: I tend to get a little long-winded, so you might want to pack yourself a lunch before you start reading. The short version is, it's one man's opinion on just what made Bonnaroo such a great show.

(By the way, I'm Spoony C here but "Slick" on the blog; the "Joker" I refer to is chubbywhiteguy on the Pit (who posted his great "Life Wasted" video footage on the thread right after the festival), and "Cubs Hat Jill" is ReleasH. For those of you scoring at home.)

I've also got some posts on the blog about Bonnaroo in general (day-by-day reviews), if anyone's interested in reading up. Not trying to site-pimp or anything; I'm mostly just trying to share my review of the show without just dumping a massive quote in a Pit post.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Is it me or did they play "One note" in between Betterman and Black? :D
    NERDS!
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Why yes they did now that you mention it
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 811
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

haha- I just went back to listen to it- and they did. Too funny!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• VegatoxVegatox Posts: 1
    Wow, I'm still vibrating from this show. Been to see a lot of different shows, and this had to be the most amazing rock show I ever experienced. That's what it truly was, a Rock-n-Roll religious experience. Music is like church for me and these guys delivered the ultimate sermon. Fortunate enough to view the show from the VIP mound and I could see and feel the energy flowing from the crowd. When they played "Betterman" and the lighters went up, It was an incredible sight to behold. Eddie's emotion was flowing right through to the crowd like the humble shaman that he is. Thanks guys. It truly changed my life. Made me a Better Man
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Vegatox wrote:
    Wow, I'm still vibrating from this show. Been to see a lot of different shows, and this had to be the most amazing rock show I ever experienced. That's what it truly was, a Rock-n-Roll religious experience. Music is like church for me and these guys delivered the ultimate sermon. Fortunate enough to view the show from the VIP mound and I could see and feel the energy flowing from the crowd. When they played "Betterman" and the lighters went up, It was an incredible sight to behold. Eddie's emotion was flowing right through to the crowd like the humble shaman that he is. Thanks guys. It truly changed my life. Made me a Better Man

Agree. Awesome show! VIP section wasnt all that great unless you were there for "all" the bands. And if you were, why didnt you come closer during the PJ set? Probably 15k people or more who had better seats than you did. Anyways, Awesome show!!!
    Vegatox wrote:
    great 1st post!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

Still the best show and weekend of my life!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• LukinFan wrote:
    Still the best show and weekend of my life!

agreed! First time camping here.... there was a nasty thunderstorm the night before Pearl Jam... some hose-bag in my section thought that it would be cool to scream through his megaphone that "THE BIG ONE IS COMING" HOLD ON! Alllllll night long.

Really?? It's hilarious now.... at the time, not so much.