framed poster thread

Comments

• Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    cool thread, im just gonna throw out a question hopefully someone can answer

how large of a frame does one of these posters generally take? i have no idea & dont have measuring tape or anything

got two posters waiting to go up in my new living room =)

thanks
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • youre a good man- thanks for the support.

i see that a lot of people have the same sized frames for all their posters- but almost all my posters are different sizes, hope it doesnt look stupid- especially cause the st louis 98 one is so much longer than the others.

Regarding the person that framed it for you, as a rule of thumb maybe, but it doesn't always work. You made the right choice, as it's about getting the right contrast to make the poster stand out, rather than just to match the colors of the print. The people who use the one-size-fits-all frames (like me) are just trying to save a little bit of money as it is cheaper to by a custom cut matte than it is to buy a custom frame. Ultimately you should do what you think looks cool, and is in your budget.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    so maybe i can get some advice?

this week i went to bring in my st louis 98 poster to be framed- the one with the plane diving down. earlier in this thread someone posted a picture of theirs with a black mat and i thought it looked amazing but when i went to get mine framed the woman said "you know theres no black in the poster, why dont you go with white?" and she showed me what i looked like but i thought it looked kinda shitty since the border of the poster is white and the two whites werent the same, so i opted for the black- she seemed really disappointed in me- what do you think?

man go with what you like...your the one who has to look at it everyday. personally i like black and have done all mine that color...i think it gives it a border where white doesnt.
    This post is © by gfraser
  • thanks for all the feedback guys. i was just afraid maybe the black WAS the wrong color and i just couldnt tell because i wont see it in person until its done and the 160 bucks is already gone.

my plan was to do all my posters black, with the black mat coming out half an inch on all sides, just to give it some border, but then ive looked at all your posters and ive seen some great color match ups with the mats. i think going all black for all of em will my collection some uniformity so when all hung up near eachother it gives you a better feel for the room.

as much as i love the colored mats, im afraid i wouldnt be able to match the mat EXACTLY with the poster colors and it would bother me on all of em. any one else have that problem that has used colored mats?
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    how large of a frame does one of these posters generally take? i have no idea & dont have measuring tape or anything

got two posters waiting to go up in my new living room =)

thanks

Several of mine seem to be around 18x24 inches, so in centimeters, just multiply each dimension by 2.5.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • thanks for all the feedback guys. i was just afraid maybe the black WAS the wrong color and i just couldnt tell because i wont see it in person until its done and the 160 bucks is already gone.

my plan was to do all my posters black, with the black mat coming out half an inch on all sides, just to give it some border, but then ive looked at all your posters and ive seen some great color match ups with the mats. i think going all black for all of em will my collection some uniformity so when all hung up near eachother it gives you a better feel for the room.

as much as i love the colored mats, im afraid i wouldnt be able to match the mat EXACTLY with the poster colors and it would bother me on all of em. any one else have that problem that has used colored mats?

Your framer should have an extensive collection of mat samples for you to choose from. If you don't mind me asking- where are you getting them framed at? $160 just seems awful expensive to frame the St. Louis '98. I paid right around $80 and mine is framed with in a wooden frame, archival safe mat, UV glass (not plexi), spacers, etc.
    Just a word to the wise here- DO NOT drymount your posters. I also don't recommend using archival hinges either. I use absolutely nothing but mylar pockets (basically photo mounting corners)....no tape to hold the print to the mat- nothing but mylar pockets. You'll thank yourself in years for framing that way.
  • OH and I hear that mdgsolo guy has a pretty cool collection as well. Never met him but have dealt with him on several occassions. Pretty cool guy....
  • spike007 wrote:
    Your framer should have an extensive collection of mat samples for you to choose from. If you don't mind me asking- where are you getting them framed at? $160 just seems awful expensive to frame the St. Louis '98. I paid right around $80 and mine is framed with in a wooden frame, archival safe mat, UV glass (not plexi), spacers, etc.
    Just a word to the wise here- DO NOT drymount your posters. I also don't recommend using archival hinges either. I use absolutely nothing but mylar pockets (basically photo mounting corners)....no tape to hold the print to the mat- nothing but mylar pockets. You'll thank yourself in years for framing that way.

hey- i live in providence and its a local framing store. im not sure how much it should cost, but i was quoted about the same for another poster i have at a different store. i think its because i have the extra half inch of mat all around and the acid free, maybe i should start looking for a new framer?
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    hey- i live in providence and its a local framing store. im not sure how much it should cost, but i was quoted about the same for another poster i have at a different store. i think its because i have the extra half inch of mat all around and the acid free, maybe i should start looking for a new framer?
    Framing them yourself is easy, and you'll save a lot of money. American Frame has everything you need, and you can upload a picture of your poster and try it out with all the different mats and frames to see how it will look.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Lsk6453Lsk6453 Ponte Vedra, FL Posts: 539
    Shows attended: 36

7/5/98 Dallas, 10/17/00 Dallas, 4/30/03 Uniondale, 7/8/03 MSG 1, 7/9/03 MSG 2, 9/28/04 Boston 1, 9/29/04 Boston 2, 10/03/05 Philly, 4/15/06 SNL, 5/5/06 Irving Plaza, 5/13/06 Hartford, 6/1/06 NJ 1, 6/3/06 NJ 2, 6/20/08 Camden, 6/27/08 Hartford, 7/1/08 The Beacon, 10/27/09 Philly, 10/28/09 Philly, 10/30/09 Philly, 10/31/09 Philly, 5/20/10 MSG, 5/21/10 MSG, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13, Brooklyn, 10/25/13 Hartford, 11/15/13 Dallas, 10/12/14 Austin 2, 5/1/16 MSG 1, 5/2/16 MSG 2, 8/5/15 Fenway 1, 4/7/17 RRHOF Induction, 8/8/18 Seattle 1, 8/10/18 Seattle  2, 9/2/18 Fenway 1, 9/13/23 Ft. Worth 1, 9/15/23 Ft. Worth 2, 5/16/224 Vegas 1, 5/18/24 Vegas 2
  • audome25audome25 Posts: 163
    so this americanframe.com place, are the frames glass or plastic? it doesn't ask you and I can't see how its so cheap unless its plastic. What do most people use?
  • GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    audome25 wrote:
    so this americanframe.com place, are the frames glass or plastic? it doesn't ask you and I can't see how its so cheap unless its plastic. What do most people use?
    It's plexi glass
  • audome25audome25 Posts: 163
    GoBucky wrote:
    It's plexi glass

interesting. no one has any big problem with haziness or scratching?
  • My signed/#'d Easy Street
    easystreeta3ga.jpg

My signed/#'d Denver AP1
    pjdenver036vl.jpg

It might take some time, but wait till you guys see what I do with the signed/#'d posters fromt the Canadian dates i attended. Its gonna be magnificent!
    Calgary - 09/04/05
    Saskatoon - 09/07/05
    Winnipeg - 09/08/05
    Thunder Bay - 09/09/05
  • GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    audome25 wrote:
    interesting. no one has any big problem with haziness or scratching?

No haziness...I have one that has a scratch on it after falling off the wall, but that's better than the alternative!
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    spike007 wrote:

I have this tee-shirt!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Lizard wrote:
    I have this tee-shirt!

my daughter used to love that shirt. Had a fit everytime she had to change her clothes.
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    Gangstacro wrote:
    http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=3AZtmjZi1YuIA

My framed Red Borgata. I have 4 others framed, but not as nicely as this one.

very nice... also noticed your c's and b's stubs... any good ones there??
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    i gotta learn myself on framing

what's a good price??

are chain's like corners to be avoided??

american frame... easy??

i'm going to search the site for info but since we're all here your opinions will be much appreciated

also... storing the posters before i frame them... what do you suggest??

thanks!!!!!
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • BeerBaron wrote:
    That one is gold.

thank you. I wish I would've made it a little bigger, but I still dig it.
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Have bunch to show, but dont know how to post them or where....Anyone help with this? I am technically challenged when it come to this stuff. Thanks in advance for any detailed instructions.

scott
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Bird33Bird33 Posts: 120
    Quick questions. Can pro framers get wrinkles and creases (sp) out of a poster?
  • Bird33Bird33 Posts: 120
    Have bunch to show, but dont know how to post them or where....Anyone help with this? I am technically challenged when it come to this stuff. Thanks in advance for any detailed instructions.

scott

Open a photobucket account (it's free) and upload them into there.
  • Quick questions. Can pro framers get wrinkles and creases (sp) out of a poster?

depending on the severity, I would think so.
  • 10/11/06, 11/11/06, 13/11/06, 14/11/06, 16/11/06, 19/11/06, 21/11/06, 22/11/06.

+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No. 35-+--+
  • yeah dude, you gotta change that in your photobucket settings to make your collection publicly viewable.
  • PJ2k3PJ2k3 Posts: 218
    idratherbe wrote:
    Yes, and THIS is what I'm jealous of... the only PJ poster he has done:
    http://www.emek.net/posters/p/pearljam.html

I've got a ton of framing to do...

~peace~

I have this one! Framed and I got it on ebay back in 98 for like $30.
    9/24/96, 6/14/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 9/1/00, 9/4/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/19/05, 9/30/05, 10/03/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 8/7/08 (Eddie solo)