framed poster thread

Comments

• So when you guys say "double/tripple matted" do you mean with the one(s) on top being smaller than the ones underneath, so that you can see multiple borders, or are they all the same size and just for the sake of keeping the poster farther from the glass?

"It was Luke's fault" (Ed after stumbling on Soon Forget at Kitchener '05)
  • given2fall wrote:
    So when you guys say "double/tripple matted" do you mean with the one(s) on top being smaller than the ones underneath, so that you can see multiple borders, or are they all the same size and just for the sake of keeping the poster farther from the glass?

this is triple-matted. not sure about the actual width of the mattes. but you get the idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/greg6906/DSCN0420.jpg
  • greg6906 wrote:
    this is triple-matted. not sure about the actual width of the mattes. but you get the idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/greg6906/DSCN0420.jpg
    OK cool, so they are different sizes then (although I can only actually see 2 - unless the 3rd is just too dark to see in contrast to the frame).

• PJPATPJPAT Posts: 399
    given2fall wrote:
    OK cool, so they are different sizes then (although I can only actually see 2 - unless the 3rd is just too dark to see in contrast to the frame).

I think that it is lifted 3 times? Not sure though.
    "All the money you make will never buy back your soul" Bob Dylan

"I need honesty, I need truth, and I need hope...I need it! That's what music means to me." EV
  • Another few questions: What about my signed & numbered poster? Is there a way to mat it without covering that up? Or should I bother getting it matted at all?
    I want my posters to look good, but I also want to protect them. What exactly should I do beyond just getting a plain old frame? Is UV glass, and all that acid-free stuff and everything really necessary?
    Thanks

• pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    given2fall wrote:
    Another few questions: What about my signed & numbered poster? Is there a way to mat it without covering that up? Or should I bother getting it matted at all?
    I want my posters to look good, but I also want to protect them. What exactly should I do beyond just getting a plain old frame? Is UV glass, and all that acid-free stuff and everything really necessary?
    Thanks
    The mat does not have to cover your poster. You get yourself some hinging tape(its very light & won't damage poster)& tack the top of your poster to the mat(both on the back were it can't be seen), then the poster will just "hang" from the mat
    Look very closely at my blue one & you'll see it's also signed & #
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,024
    PJ Habit wrote:
    Okay, I hope this works.
    http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=qtkqay9.sebgjht&x=0&y=6i6o0l
    The first is my cat & the others are the shows I've attended.
    I did them myself(thanks to this thread:))Peace

That cat pic should be called Purrl Jam.
  • given2fall wrote:

there are 3. the inner one is pink (about 1/4"). the 2nd is yellow (about 1/4"). and the 3rd is black (about 1"). see them all now?
  • Peter: I'm gonna go microwave a bagel and have sex with it.
    Quagmire: Butter's in the fridge!
  • PJ Habit wrote:
    The mat does not have to cover your poster. You get yourself some hinging tape(its very light & won't damage poster)& tack the top of your poster to the mat(both on the back were it can't be seen), then the poster will just "hang" from the mat
    Look very closely at my blue one & you'll see it's also signed & #
    Oh yeah, I see it. But isn't part of the point of matting to keep the poster away from the glass to protect the ink?

• greg6906 wrote:
    there are 3. the inner one is pink (about 1/4"). the 2nd is yellow (about 1/4"). and the 3rd is black (about 1"). see them all now?
    Just as I suspected - the 3rd one is too dark to show up on my screen. I can't see it at all no matter how hard I stare, but I'll take your word for it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• I just went to Michael's and dropped CAN $130 (tax included) just to frame my blue Boston pre-VFC poster! I can't wait to see how it turns out, though - it'll be my first professionally framed poster (my Toronto '03 was just placked).

• pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    given2fall wrote:
    I just went to Michael's and dropped CAN $130 (tax included) just to frame my blue Boston pre-VFC poster! I can't wait to see how it turns out, though - it'll be my first professionally framed poster (my Toronto '03 was just placked).

When I say Michael's, I mean buying the precut frames and doing them yourself, not having them do it. That is what I meant by a cheaper alterantive. ;)

scott
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • BeerBaron wrote:
    Holy shit - that is a lot of money. You could have found cheaper places around here.

I've been doing them myself ($25 frame at Ikea, $20 acid free matte at Loomis) but I'm curious where you are talking about. $130 is a little high, but if it is not much more than I'm currently paying to do them myself, I will consider the upgrade.
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • I probably could've just bought an 18"x24" frame (my poster is 15x23), but the ready-made frames I saw weren't all that nice. The custom frame I'm getting is metal with a really cool sort of wavy texture that should really compliment the blue flames nicely.
    I don't intend to do all my posters like this, but I figured the Boston one might be more of a collector's item so I wanted to do it right. I'll probably be a little more stingy for the posters from the shows I went to, since those are more personal and I'm not as concerned with the actual collector's value. I'm not sure, though - I may get a custom frame for hamilton too, just because it's the one I went through the most trouble to get (you da man Beer Baron!). Right now I'm framing my posters one at a time, and I'll decide on a case by case basis.

• yea thats one hell of a collection.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • I've never framed any PJ posters before but now I'm gonna give it a try using the advice in this thread. But I have a question, I've noticed some people have put their concert tickets in with the poster, has anyone tried puttin in pictures they've taken from the show along with the poster? I was considering doing this and was looking for opinions from some of you that have done lotsa poster framing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    05/02/03 Buffalo, 06/28/03 Toronto, 09/13/05 Hamilton, 09/19/05 Toronto, 05/09/06 Toronto, 05/10/06 Toronto
    Keep On Rockin In The Free World
    http://spaces.msn.com/brileys
  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    I've never framed any PJ posters before but now I'm gonna give it a try using the advice in this thread. But I have a question, I've noticed some people have put their concert tickets in with the poster, has anyone tried puttin in pictures they've taken from the show along with the poster? I was considering doing this and was looking for opinions from some of you that have done lotsa poster framing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nice Idea... I was or having a Message Pit party at a concert and having everyone sign the poster with their user ID. :-)
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    BeerBaron wrote:
    When you get a matte for your poster is there a typical width around the poster that you have the matte cover? In other words: Would you typically run a 3 inch matte top/bottom/left/right?

I usually just run an inch/inch and half..... me personally 3 inches too much
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?...x=0&y= 6i6o0l
    bobasfeet wrote:
    That cat pic should be called Purrl Jam.

That was so stupid its funny
    thanks for the laugh :)
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • Hope this works- sorry about the finger prints, I just got them hung and didn't clean off the glass yet. Shit, these 3 look so cool, how the hell am I going to do 202 more??
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=94090112509&page=1&sort_order=0&favorites=true
  • 9/29/1996, 8/28/1998, 8/29/1998, 9/8/1998, 8/25/2000, 9/1/2000, 9/2/2000, 4/28/2003, 5/03/2003, 7/5/2003, 7/6/2003, 10/01/2004, 9/19/2005, 10/1/2005, 10/3/2005, 5/27/2006, 5/28/2006, 5/30/2006, 6/26/2006, 4/15/2008. 6/19/2008, 6/20/2008, 6/22/2008, 8/16/2008
  • greg6906 wrote:

OMG! You have Boston '98. Damn you. Damn you to hell.

Jealosy gets me no where.
  • PahkTheCah wrote:
    OMG! You have Boston '98. Damn you. Damn you to hell.

Jealosy gets me no where.

yeah I've gotten plenty of e-mails from people wanting it. however, boston, along with hartford, are both headed to the framers in the near future.
  • I'm closing the PM window as I type. Please post a pic when it comes back. That poster is so elusive I'm thinking of getting it as a tatoo.
  • greg6906 wrote:

Very nice collection. I've got the 4 shows i've been to framed, so I'll try to get some pictures of them soon... I got more to get framed but that will have to wait till i have extra cash to burn on that... and i need a bigger house for hanging this things. LOL
    ~===================================~
    ~Toronto 2003, Kitchener-London-Hamilton 2005~
    ~
    Toronto I & II 2006
    ~
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782

wow!!!!

Teddy, your poster looks amazing. Great job on that!
  • I finally uploaded mine. Nothing too fancy here... only the Kitchener got matted... but they look pretty good still.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d56/lint223/
    ~Toronto 2003, Kitchener-London-Hamilton 2005~
    ~
    Toronto I & II 2006
    ~