Options

Dave Abbruzzese plays Breath AND ALONE in 2023

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    Maybe Dave shouldn’t have ran to tattle on the boys so someone could write a book. MFC is the best drummer pj has ever had. He is great live and blows DA out of the water. Case closed
    not obnoxious at all. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,280
    Maybe Dave shouldn’t have ran to tattle on the boys so someone could write a book. MFC is the best drummer pj has ever had. He is great live and blows DA out of the water. Case closed
    not obnoxious at all. 
    Dave or this post? :)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,518
    I'm still wondering when Mini Fast Cars took over as Pearl Jam's drummer...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,197
    edited October 2023
    BF25394 said:
    Don't push your luck now. Soon you will feel the "did anyone say anything negative about Gigaton?"-rage
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Don't push your luck now. Soon you will feel the "did anyone say anything negative about Gigaton?"-rage
    You are the biggest complainer in these forums. You live in here 24/7 and just complain about everting you don’t like about pj. Go outside, ride your bike, read a book, go out for sushi or paint a picture. That felt good. Ok, go ahead and complain that it’s your right to complain on here. Just had to be said. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,518
    BF25394 said:
    I don't follow you. I was just making a joke playing on the references to Cameron as MFC here and the fact that Pearl Jam has a song titled "MFC" and what that initialism stands for in the song.

I'm also a big fan of Gigaton, so any rage at me for dissing it would be very misdirected.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    StoveStove Posts: 317
    Agreed! Dave we know its you with all the accounts. Move on man.
  • Options
    Stove said:
    Stove said:
    vedpunk said:
    Love Matt and what he means to the band but Dave makes the drumming stand out.  I was at both Austin shows with a friend that had never seen the band.  He really enjoyed the shows and said he spent most of the time watching Eddie or Mike since they were the most memorable.  He said he rarely focused on the drumming…not because Matt didn’t play well but they didn’t stand out at all.  I think Matt purposely plays lighter (non flashy) with PJ to let the other members shine and that is his agreed upon role within the band. Sometimes you just want the drummer to rock the fuc$ out though and match the intensity of the frontman and lead guitarist.  
    which is why Dave was not a good fit. Can you imagine him playing on anything lighter? Wishlist? Who you are? No Way. Dave sought too much attention. He doesn't complement anything...he's just Dave splashing and grooving. He can rock out...just by himself. 
    Can you imagine the dude who did the KISS-lifted solo on Alive playing on anything lighter? Wishlist? Who you are? No way. Mike sought out too much attention. 
    yeah...and we like Mike. 

I don't understand what this gif means.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    You are the biggest complainer in these forums. You live in here 24/7 and just complain about everting you don’t like about pj. Go outside, ride your bike, read a book, go out for sushi or paint a picture. That felt good. Ok, go ahead and complain that it’s your right to complain on here. Just had to be said. 
    GOT UM
  • Options
    It means moving the goal posts but I myself don't understand most of this thread
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    It means moving the goal posts but I myself don't understand most of this thread
    Well it goes back and forth between "Dave shouldn't still be in the band" to "MFC is the best drummer." And truthfully every drummer had their space and was important to the evolution of the band. I still think 100 percent that Dave would not have survived PJ's growth along the way besides of course the personality clashes. Some people just wanna keep thinks as they were. And I understand that..and I also like every album for its different merits. And personally...I think Dave's drumming is way too colorful, like its just so busy (other people call it "groove") And ultimately it's a dead issue b/c as I've said...Dave ain't in the band anymore. He was there for a milisecond in their 30+ years. And his contributions were important. And yet Matt has remind with them the longest and has contributed many songs that the band plays. Those are facts. People will always have those old records and bootlegs to listen to, but in terms people even entertaining the notion that they would like him back in, even for an off shoot gig? No way. 
    Post edited by Stove on
  • Options
    Yeah fair enough 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Yes, and also - Take the Long Way isn't that much of a banger of a song.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MFC is the best drummer ever to play in PJ. 
    Incorrect
    There is no "correct" or "incorrect" here in this thread its all just subjective opinions of personal preference
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    BF25394 said:
     Yes, and also - Take the Long Way isn't that much of a banger of a song. There are other examples of Matt songs. So you only listen to the first 3 Pearl Jam albums? I don't think you even like Pearl Jam dood. 

Post edited by Stove on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Stove said:
    BF25394 said:
     Yes, and also - Take the Long Way isn't that much of a banger of a song. There are other examples of Matt songs. So you only listen to the first 3 Pearl Jam albums? I don't think you even like Pearl Jam dood. 

I listed a Gigaton song. Matt Cameron is in the context moot. He is a cool song writer. But infortunate I happend to name a MC song.

And I listen to Riot Act. Never heard of these three first albums you speak of. Is the Pelican song on one of them?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,667
    Stove said:
    Well it goes back and forth between "Dave shouldn't still be in the band" to "MFC is the best drummer." And truthfully every drummer had their space and was important to the evolution of the band. I still think 100 percent that Dave would not have survived PJ's growth along the way besides of course the personality clashes. Some people just wanna keep thinks as they were. And I understand that..and I also like every album for its different merits. And personally...I think Dave's drumming is way too colorful, like its just so busy (other people call it "groove") And ultimately it's a dead issue b/c as I've said...Dave ain't in the band anymore. He was there for a milisecond in their 30+ years. And his contributions were important. And yet Matt has remind with them the longest and has contributed many songs that the band plays. Those are facts. People will always have those old records and bootlegs to listen to, but in terms people even entertaining the notion that they would like him back in, even for an off shoot gig? No way. 

Not here to take sides, I honestly don’t get why people get so heated about the debate. They are all professional drummers who know how to play AND the band obviously likes MFC more. 

I honestly think it would be more interesting to say things like:

- Damn, those Dave A ghost notes on Breath are awesome. 

- I love the Bonham triplets MFC plays on Betterman at Uniondale 03. 

- Listen to Dave A. and MFC play Spin the Black Circle or Blood. The way they accent different pets of the song is really striking. 

- Why does Jack Irons play State of Love and Trust like it’s Last Exit on the 95 tour????

Give me some actually drumming to listen to and talk about!

I also want to say that “busy” and “groove” are not pointing to the same thing. Dave A can be too busy, but playing with groove doesn’t have to be that way. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    yosi said:
    Stove said:

Not here to take sides, I honestly don’t get why people get so heated about the debate. They are all professional drummers who know how to play AND the band obviously likes MFC more. 

- Listen to Dave A. and MFC play Spin the Black Circle or Blood. The way they accent different pets of the song is really striking. 

- Why does Jack Irons play State of Love and Trust like it’s Last Exit on the 95 tour????

I also want to say that “busy” and “groove” are not pointing to the same thing. Dave A can be too busy, but playing with groove doesn’t have to be that way. 
    Well explained 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    yosi said:
    Stove said:

100%.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,549
    yosi said:
    Stove said:

Well put. For my $, the Jack Irons albums are my favorite, so he ends up being my favorite drummer by default. I thing MC is the most talented drummer they've had, but his work in PJ pales in comparison to what he did in SG. It is what it is... PJ isn't that kind of band, and they all seem happy with what they're doing, so more power to them. 

The Dave A era was great, but clearly it reached a breaking point, so they moved on. Considering they're still going strong some 3 decades later, it would appear to have been the right decision for Pearl Jam. That sucks for Dave A, but that's life. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,706
    yosi said:
    Stove said:

And these are things drummers will point out about other drummers. Compared to other musicians who play something else, I’ve never seen the high level of respect professional drummers give to other drummers. Dave A doesn’t do this and I think it says something
  • Options
    Go Beavers said:

Dave A doesn’t do this and I think it says something
    He doesn't? How many drummers have you discussed with him?
  • Options
    Go Beavers said:

I should be more specific. Dave A doesn’t do this with Pearl Jam drummers, he does the opposite, and I haven’t seen him be complimentary of other drummers in his fb page, but I could’ve missed it. 
  • Options
    Go Beavers said:

I should be more specific. Dave A doesn’t do this with Pearl Jam drummers, he does the opposite, and I haven’t seen him be complimentary of other drummers in his fb page, but I could’ve missed it. 
    Songfacts: Speaking of subtleties, what's a subtlety you love in a song from a different drummer?

Abbruzzese: Jimmy Chamberlin did a lot of subtle things, but the way they were presented in a song with the Smashing Pumpkins, they were really up front so they weren't really subtle – they were intricate. I'd have to say Dave Grohl on the song "All Apologies." There are some things he did in that song with his hi-hat foot and with flams and some ghost note stuff. Those records were so masterfully mixed. If you're listening for them you can hear the subtleties, but overall when you've got it cranked up they just blend to the momentum versus standing out.

That's one of the things that makes Dave Grohl a legacy drummer – he was able to really drive a song and beat the shit out of his drum set, but still include those little subtle drags. The way he moved his hi-hat when he was bashing on his ride, things like that you don't really hear but you feel when you're listening to the track. It's a nice thing. It just adds an element of almost disco to the punk-rock aspect of it.

I was a big fan of Tony Thompson with Chic, and Tony played with Robert Palmer [in Power Station] and did great things on the Bowie stuff – "Let's Dance" and all that. He just had that [voices a steady drum beat] – and Dave did that a lot on those records - I really like that. There was a funk to his punk rock that I appreciated. It reminded me of Greg Errico, the drummer for Sly & The Family Stone. The tension he created by pushing his hi-hat and the rest of it still pulling back. He was the right drummer for the band. With Krist [Novoselic] pulling back and Kurt [Cobain] always on top of the beat, Dave was able to support both but define it at the same time.
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 836
    Best drummer and best fit stylistically are totally different and this is such a good example. I do think Matt is the best but stylistically I prefer the others more. But he has also composed some of my favourites and given he has been in the band three times longer than the others combined it's really hard to say he's not the quintessential drummer for PJ even if his joining was at the end of the so-called heyday.

Dave A and Matt are at the front of the beat and Dave K and Jack sit at the back (sorry Matt Chamberlain we all know you're the odd one out here). That's why I'd have liked to hear how Dave K would play the Jack stuff. A notable exception is Spin Black-I wish it were more thrashy live and it seems just a straightforward rock song than the thrashy punky piece that is so special to me.

All of the interviews with Matt I've seen want to talk about his work with Soundgarden and not PJ. Hopefully that changes as it is great. It's just his Soundgarden stuff is legendary. Christ Never The Machine Forever...holy hell...
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Go Beavers said:i
    Go Beavers said:

Songfacts: Speaking of subtleties, what's a subtlety you love in a song from a different drummer?

Abbruzzese: Jimmy Chamberlin did a lot of subtle things, but the way they were presented in a song with the Smashing Pumpkins, they were really up front so they weren't really subtle – they were intricate. I'd have to say Dave Grohl on the song "All Apologies." There are some things he did in that song with his hi-hat foot and with flams and some ghost note stuff. Those records were so masterfully mixed. If you're listening for them you can hear the subtleties, but overall when you've got it cranked up they just blend to the momentum versus standing out.

That's one of the things that makes Dave Grohl a legacy drummer – he was able to really drive a song and beat the shit out of his drum set, but still include those little subtle drags. The way he moved his hi-hat when he was bashing on his ride, things like that you don't really hear but you feel when you're listening to the track. It's a nice thing. It just adds an element of almost disco to the punk-rock aspect of it.

I was a big fan of Tony Thompson with Chic, and Tony played with Robert Palmer [in Power Station] and did great things on the Bowie stuff – "Let's Dance" and all that. He just had that [voices a steady drum beat] – and Dave did that a lot on those records - I really like that. There was a funk to his punk rock that I appreciated. It reminded me of Greg Errico, the drummer for Sly & The Family Stone. The tension he created by pushing his hi-hat and the rest of it still pulling back. He was the right drummer for the band. With Krist [Novoselic] pulling back and Kurt [Cobain] always on top of the beat, Dave was able to support both but define it at the same time.
    Good to see he’s able to compliment drummers that weren’t in Pearl Jam