Dave Abbruzzese plays Breath AND ALONE in 2023

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    MFC is the best drummer ever to play in PJ. 
    Wow. 
    Finally agree with one of your posts. 
    And it’s not even close 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    on2legs said:
    Am I the only one who doesn’t feel the need to see Dave play with the band ever again?
    nope.  Stick with MFC and maybe call Jack Irons when you want to do No Code or Yield in full at a show.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited September 2023
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    Am I the only one who doesn’t feel the need to see Dave play with the band ever again?
    nope.  Stick with MFC and maybe call Jack Irons when you want to do No Code or Yield in full at a show.  
    Like you wouldn't look like a little boy on Christmas Eve in the crowd, if Dave A strolled out on the stage and started playing RVM
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516

Dave is a great drummer and did amazing work with PJ! But…

Hopefully he can find a band that he finds success with and let it go…
    Easier said than done.. lol.  It must of sucked so much to have been with one of the biggest bands of the planet, then get fired.   Lightning rarely strikes twice.  It's hard enough to be in 1 band that gets to tour to rabid audiences in arenas/stadiums, let alone find a 2nd.    It's probably one of those things that haunts you for the rest of your life :(

• Zod said:

Easier said than done.. lol.  It must of sucked so much to have been with one of the biggest bands of the planet, then get fired.   Lightning rarely strikes twice.  It's hard enough to be in 1 band that gets to tour to rabid audiences in arenas/stadiums, let alone find a 2nd.    It's probably one of those things that haunts you for the rest of your life :(

He was playing with post-Slash Guns N Roses though, so lightning struck a little bit more than once.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    edited September 2023
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    Like you wouldn't look like a little boy on Christmas Eve in the crowd, if Dave A strolled out on the stage and started playing RVM
    cymbal jam! I honestly wouldn't even notice the difference.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    There was a time I missed PJs live sound without Dave, but then I forgot about it because the current stuff was/is fantastic. Plus, I'm now also at a point where I don't really like the sound of their live stuff pre-94. The cymbals are distracting.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    on2legs said:

Another nope. The guy shits on Ed and the other drummers, and the band's music, and people actually think they should invite the guy to play with them.
    I couldn't care less either way, but he shit on the other drummers? I thought all he said was that in terms of contribution (2 albums during their commercial peak) that he should have been inducted ahead of DK?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• He didn't shit on anyone. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Jack Irons for president!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946
    on2legs said:

Another nope. The guy shits on Ed and the other drummers, and the band's music, and people actually think they should invite the guy to play with them.
    I couldn't care less either way, but he shit on the other drummers? I thought all he said was that in terms of contribution (2 albums during their commercial peak) that he should have been inducted ahead of DK?
    His periodic “this is how it should be played” video posting on fb from when he was in the band and saying Matt is “lackluster” counts a shitting to me. 
    He didn't shit on anyone. 
    He repeatedly comments on Ed being two faced, creating a fake public image, being controlling, and blames him for getting the boot. He also insults Jeff and Mike by saying they were afraid of Ed and were passive around him. 
  • He didn't shit on anyone. 
    He repeatedly comments on Ed being two faced, creating a fake public image, being controlling, and blames him for getting the boot. He also insults Jeff and Mike by saying they were afraid of Ed and were passive around him. 
    This my all be true how can anyone know
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    He didn't shit on anyone. 
    This my all be true how can anyone know
    Well, since he says these things on facebook…
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,007
    edited September 2023
    Zod said:

He was playing with post-Slash Guns N Roses though, so lightning struck a little bit more than once.
    More like came in the studio once or twice during that period and never did anything with the band. Kinda like Zakk Wylde. Kinda like Josh Freese. Kinda like Billy Howerdel. Kinda like Shaq. 

All of that is Axl Rose's fault though. 

There were a lot of "members" of GNR, just not many from that time who stuck around. 
    I mean, it's obvious Dave A. wasn't a good fit for the band.... at least not in terms of creating a well oiled machine that got along well.   I suppose that's why he got fired.  Still I'm always a toss up between Whether the two Dave A. albums or two Jack Irons albums were my favourite pj albums.  They each have their own grooves which changed the sound of the band and made for some of the best albums of all time.   

Matt C. is the steadfast, good fit, gets along with the band, and play's awesome drummer.

They all have positives and negatives.

I'm just happy PJ is touring this deep into their career.   Out of all the bands that could be my favourite, the one I picked keeps going the distance.
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    Zod said:
    I mean, it's obvious Dave A. wasn't a good fit for the band.... at least not in terms of creating a well oiled machine that got along well.   I suppose that's why he got fired.  Still I'm always a toss up between Whether the two Dave A. albums or two Jack Irons albums were my favourite pj albums.  They each have their own grooves which changed the sound of the band and made for some of the best albums of all time.   

Matt C. is the steadfast, good fit, gets along with the band, and play's awesome drummer.

They all have positives and negatives.

I'm just happy PJ is touring this deep into their career.   Out of all the bands that could be my favourite, the one I picked keeps going the distance.

100% agree with all your points.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    Pjs drummers have all been the right drummers at the right time. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Zod said:

More like came in the studio once or twice during that period and never did anything with the band. Kinda like Zakk Wylde. Kinda like Josh Freese. Kinda like Billy Howerdel. Kinda like Shaq. 

There were a lot of "members" of GNR, just not many from that time who stuck around. 
    So, lightning struck a little bit more than once. 
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    Loving the ghost notes!

you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

Zod said:

I would say it didn't.  He jammed a few times, but never really took or got the gig, so he did not end up in a big band touring big venues again.
  • eboweddie said:
    Pjs drummers have all been the right drummers at the right time. 
    Agreed!
    1992: 7/25 Denver, CO (Lollapalooza)
    1993: 11/30 Las Vegas, NV (Vault #5) - 12/1 Las Vegas, NV
    1998: 7/11 Las Vegas, NV
    2000: 10/22 Las Vegas, NV (10th anniversary)
    2003: 4/1 Denver, CO
    2006: 7/3 Denver, CO
    2014: 10/22 Denver, CO
    2020: 4/11 Phoenix, AZ
    2022: 5/9 Phoenix, AZ - 5/20 Las Vegas, NV

Eddie Vedder/Earthlings
    2022: 10/7 Las Vegas, NV
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited September 2023
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

I would say it didn't.  He jammed a few times, but never really took or got the gig, so he did not end up in a big band touring big venues again.
    Tomato-tomato.

But compare your day

and

"Jamming" (your words) with Guns N Roses to the extent that Axl tips over an aquarium when you decide to drop out

then, jamming with Guns N Roses is on a level of being a bit more of lightning striking.

But to answer your real question here -- yes - Dave A should have at that time forced GnR out of the shadows and played some big venue gigs. Would have loved to see Dave A and Robin Finck share an arena stage. But this was sadly during the "reform and play demos and learn to play Appetite all through-days of Guns N Roses", and they were not to play a show again untill when... 2001? And be shown in public as a band on TV until that Fallon-presenting MTV thing in 01/02. Which was post-tipping the aquarium over. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Yeah, i wouldn't classify that as lightning striking twice. more like another thing on the list of things that didn't and don't work for Dave A. 
  • I was thinking yesterday why Eddie goes out of his way to talk up and compliment Matt Cameron at every show.   He doesn’t do this with anyone else in the band.  

It is like he is worried he will leave the band or is still the new guy. 

I don’t think about drums at all for Pearl Jam.  His skill set is probably wasted in this band.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    I was thinking yesterday why Eddie goes out of his way to talk up and compliment Matt Cameron at every show.   He doesn’t do this with anyone else in the band.  

I don’t think about drums at all for Pearl Jam.  His skill set is probably wasted in this band.
    First two St.Paul shows he spreads the love around big time. Hilarious exchange with him and Mike on stage about when Mike discovered he could shred 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 940
    I was thinking yesterday why Eddie goes out of his way to talk up and compliment Matt Cameron at every show.   He doesn’t do this with anyone else in the band.  

Both FTW shows he praised McCready multiple times. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,110
    They must reeeeeeeally not like Dave A to keep him out of Hall of Fame. Him playing on VS and Vitalogy alone should have qualified him. 
    on2legs said:

His periodic “this is how it should be played” video posting on fb from when he was in the band and saying Matt is “lackluster” counts a shitting to me. 
    yeah, I'd say it does. wasn't aware of all that. 

www.headstonesband.com

bobasfeet said:
    They must reeeeeeeally not like Dave A to keep him out of Hall of Fame. Him playing on VS and Vitalogy alone should have qualified him. 
    not their call. the hall decides who gets in, not the bands. 

www.headstonesband.com