Options

Dave Abbruzzese plays Breath AND ALONE in 2023

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,047
    heh...it's like crayon being pronounced cray-on or kren

I say kren
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    bobasfeet said:
    They must reeeeeeeally not like Dave A to keep him out of Hall of Fame. Him playing on VS and Vitalogy alone should have qualified him. 
    not their call. the hall decides who gets in, not the bands. 
    Grateful Dead refused induction unless every member ever in the band was included. Hall caved. It could have been done if the desire to do it was there.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,696
    on2legs said:
    Am I the only one who doesn’t feel the need to see Dave play with the band ever again?

Another nope. The guy shits on Ed and the other drummers, and the band's music, and people actually think they should invite the guy to play with them.
    Agreed, and not only that, but he was clearly just on a completely different page than the rest of the band. You can even see it in every single photo and video of them. Dave NEVER had the same vibe or mood or anything as the other 4, and to me that is a visual reminder of how he just didn't fit properly, and I have to imagine that is ultimately why he got booted.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,938
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    Am I the only one who doesn’t feel the need to see Dave play with the band ever again?

Another nope. The guy shits on Ed and the other drummers, and the band's music, and people actually think they should invite the guy to play with them.
    Agreed, and not only that, but he was clearly just on a completely different page than the rest of the band. You can even see it in every single photo and video of them. Dave NEVER had the same vibe or mood or anything as the other 4, and to me that is a visual reminder of how he just didn't fit properly, and I have to imagine that is ultimately why he got booted.

what must be frustrating for him to watch, now, though, is how they have all completely turned around to where he was in 1993. pop hooks, videos, big chain marketing, magazine articles/interviews. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    NewJPage said:
    bobasfeet said:
    They must reeeeeeeally not like Dave A to keep him out of Hall of Fame. Him playing on VS and Vitalogy alone should have qualified him. 
    not their call. the hall decides who gets in, not the bands. 
    Grateful Dead refused induction unless every member ever in the band was included. Hall caved. It could have been done if the desire to do it was there.
    interesting. didn't know that. I wonder if other bands tried to strong arm the hall and lost. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,282
    edited September 2023
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:

Isnt this

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,699
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:

what must be frustrating for him to watch, now, though, is how they have all completely turned around to where he was in 1993. pop hooks, videos, big chain marketing, magazine articles/interviews. 
    They're still pretty sparing in their marketing and communication. Nobody has a podcast or a TV gig. They rarely say anything particularly revealing about Pearl Jam's music; a lot of the talking they do is about their side projects. The stage show remains sparse. It's not like they weren't writing hooks in the early '90s-- their most popular songs are from that period, and it's because they had hooks. If they're writing pop hooks now-- and what was the last one, "The Fixer"?-- they're not working. They haven't hit the top 40 since 1999, and that song was a pretty weird outlier. What's the big-chain marketing? Using Target for Backspacer? That was fourteen years ago. Now they're Record Store Day ambassadors.

I think the one thing that probably does drive Dave crazy is to see how Ed's personality has changed. Supposedly, one of the things that they clashed over was that Dave wanted the fame and the trappings and Ed wanted nothing to do with it. Now Ed embraces his fame and its trappings and makes a show of all his famous friends. I would bet that irks Dave.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,282
    edited September 2023
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,894
    Literally 
  • Options
    Right in the pocket...grove and feel 👌
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,701
    nicknyr15 said:
    Literally 
    Well played!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,894
    yosi said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Literally 
    Well played!

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,296
    nicknyr15 said:
    yosi said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Literally 
    Well played!

Ah KoKo. Lol
  • Options
    GAMMY
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    StoveStove Posts: 317
    on2legs said:
    You're def not. I say this every day. Dave A was Pearl Jam in their high school angst stage. And we're not high school anymore. 
  • Options
    we've had the benefit of each era of the band having the right drummer for that time period. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 841
    Love Matt and what he means to the band but Dave makes the drumming stand out.  I was at both Austin shows with a friend that had never seen the band.  He really enjoyed the shows and said he spent most of the time watching Eddie or Mike since they were the most memorable.  He said he rarely focused on the drumming…not because Matt didn’t play well but they didn’t stand out at all.  I think Matt purposely plays lighter (non flashy) with PJ to let the other members shine and that is his agreed upon role within the band. Sometimes you just want the drummer to rock the fuc$ out though and match the intensity of the frontman and lead guitarist.  
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    Love Matt and what he means to the band but Dave makes the drumming stand out.  I was at both Austin shows with a friend that had never seen the band.  He really enjoyed the shows and said he spent most of the time watching Eddie or Mike since they were the most memorable.  He said he rarely focused on the drumming…not because Matt didn’t play well but they didn’t stand out at all.  I think Matt purposely plays lighter (non flashy) with PJ to let the other members shine and that is his agreed upon role within the band. Sometimes you just want the drummer to rock the fuc$ out though and match the intensity of the frontman and lead guitarist.  
    Agreed.. MC of Soundgarden is in my fav top 5 drummers of all time.. MC in Pearl Jam is not. Great drummer but his style with PJ is just way way different. I say this as a drummer myself of 30 years. I aslo think the fact that he had to fast learn their entire catalog to do that first tour kinda hurt him some. He was put in a position to play just enough to get it.. and more than likely never went back to actually pick up some of the nuances of the early stuff of the ten, vs, vitalogy, yield, etc..
    "And the young, they can lose hope
    'Cause they can't see beyond today
    The wisdom that the old can't give away, hey
    Constant recoil
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone."
  • Options
    Constant recoil
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    vedpunk said:
    which is why Dave was not a good fit. Can you imagine him playing on anything lighter? Wishlist? Who you are? No Way. Dave sought too much attention. He doesn't complement anything...he's just Dave splashing and grooving. He can rock out...just by himself. 
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 841
    Yes, Daughter, Indifference, Nothingman, etc.  All played lighter but still kept the songs moving forward in interesting ways.  
  • Options
    Stove said:
    vedpunk said:
    which is why Dave was not a good fit. Can you imagine him playing on anything lighter? Wishlist? Who you are? No Way. Dave sought too much attention. He doesn't complement anything...he's just Dave splashing and grooving. He can rock out...just by himself. 
    Can you imagine the dude who did the KISS-lifted solo on Alive playing on anything lighter? Wishlist? Who you are? No way. Mike sought out too much attention. 
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    Yes, Daughter, Indifference, Nothingman, etc.  All played lighter but still kept the songs moving forward in interesting ways.  
    Oh good point....I guess thats why Dave's still in the band huh?  =)
  • Options
    Stove said:
    vedpunk said:
    Can you imagine the dude who did the KISS-lifted solo on Alive playing on anything lighter? Wishlist? Who you are? No way. Mike sought out too much attention. 
    yeah...and we like Mike. 
  • Options
    That was actually awesome. halfway through I'm thinking "ugh I hate covers that are exactly the same as the original" then BAM they Soundgardened it up! awesome!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Stove said:
    vedpunk said:
    Oh good point....I guess thats why Dave's still in the band huh?  =)

• Options
    Stove said:
    Stove said:
    vedpunk said:
    yeah...and we like Mike. 

• Options
    Stove said:
    vedpunk said:
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious..
    Constant recoil
  • Options
    Maybe Dave shouldn’t have ran to tattle on the boys so someone could write a book. MFC is the best drummer pj has ever had. He is great live and blows DA out of the water. Case closed
  • Options
    MFC is the best drummer ever to play in PJ. 
    Incorrect