Options

***Lollapalooza Fanviews Here, Aug 5, 2007***

Comments

• Options
    I want to know everything. I'm soooo pissed. I camped out all day, and ended up with water intoxication -- WATER INTOXICATION!!!!! I was trying to be good. I can't remember a thing. I spent the concert in the medic booth, then lost my 2003 pj tee and bra at the hospital that night. It was (or was supposed to be) my 10th time seeing them since 2003. How was it? And please don't be overly cruel.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,541
    Pandora15v wrote:
    I want to know everything. I'm soooo pissed. I camped out all day, and ended up with water intoxication -- WATER INTOXICATION!!!!! I was trying to be good. I can't remember a thing. I spent the concert in the medic booth, then lost my 2003 pj tee and bra at the hospital that night. It was (or was supposed to be) my 10th time seeing them since 2003. How was it? And please don't be overly cruel.

WTF?? WATER INTOXICATION?? wow, thats rare. that sux. How did they treat that? Sand IV's?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Pandora15v wrote:

I saw a girl getting carried off, probably you. Sorry to hear that though, hope you are all right now.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Well since it's quiet on the board and I'm bored I may as well write my fanview of the FESTIVAL.

I wanna start by saying thanks to whoever spread the rumour that Ed would play kidzapalooza... cos Jim James singing Kermit the frog and the chipmunks was definitely one of the highlights. We got there before most people and sat on the grass quite close to the stage (with room for the kids to stand and dance in front of us) and it was just soooooo cute and funny and RANDOM... I absolutely loved it. Then to see Patti Smith come on afterwards was great.

One thing though, cos we were at the kids stage, I was going out to smoke. But then two OBVIOUSLY Patti Smith fans sat in front of us in the middle of the kids and one of them started lighting a cigarette. Everyone around me started going nuts saying 'she can't smoke that here' 'she's not going to light that is she?' 'oh my god, she's lighting it... she can't do that'. All it takes is to say it to somebody nicely. I just patted her and said 'sorry I don't think we should smoke here cos it's the kids stage and stuff. I've been going out and your spot's still going to be here, we just don't wanna get in trouble and be kicked out'. And she was nice, didn't take offense and said 'you're right, I never thought of that, I'll go out'. Why do people get so worked up when all it takes is pointing something out to somebody? I'll never understand.

Anyway the festival started for me and Barbara on Friday when we FINALLY made it into the grounds (after a couple of cocktails outside and a lovely walk along lake Michigan) for the Black Keys, who were really really good. Then Ben Harper came on... we found a barrier spot about half an hour before no problem. The good thing about Ben was that I didn't know any of his stuff so I'd no high expectations. He was absolutely fucking amazing. Although I have never needed to pee so badly at a concert before. It finally got to the point where I thought 'fuck it I HAVE to go'. So Carlos came with me. I was just about to go into a portoloo when Ben started talking about his friend... Carlos roared at me... and the pair of us ran. I've never ran so fast in my life with the flag flying behind me :D I'm sure it was funny to anyone watching. Made it back in time for Ed to come on for an AMAZING version of masters of war. By that stage we were WELL warmed up and in good form and it was just beautiful. After that I finally got to pee so all was well and good :)

The Saturday we decided to sample some Chicago pizza... before it arrived we got the message about Ed playing the kids stage so we had to run from the pizza place to Grant park... actually I walked quite fast as Sandra and Barbara ran on ahead :D . Anyway then we got to see Jim James, Patti Smith and Perry Farrell (my first of many).

Afterwards we were walking around some stalls and suddenly Perry set up stage in one of the stalls and played a short set. I even got to shake his hand afterwards (even though I'd no idea who he was before the festival and didn't know any of his or Jane's stuff). So that was my 2nd time seeing him, lol. Then we set up camp in the middle of the AT&T field and got a LITTLE bit drunk... just dancing to the various bands playing. That's where my memory goes weird... next thing I know I'm watching Muse thinking 'this is fucking brilliant'. Then I'm talking to a group of Irish people who also came over for lolla. Then I'm being asked to go on a game show. I've no idea in what order these happened or anything else around them. Next thing I know we're at the CCFA after party... talking to random people. I remember some of them :o

Next thing I remember I'm back at the room and Barbara gets a text from Sandra and Emily saying there are some people already queuing... so me, her and Bar get ready, grab our ponchos (it was raining) and head to the queue. I stayed about 10 minutes but got sooooooo bloody wet and was sitting on bin bags that Barbara generously shared with me... IN A PUDDLE. So I thought 'fuck this... I've a nice warm dry bed waiting for me at the hard rock hotel' so I went back there.

Sunday I woke about 12ish... finally got my act together and met Carol and Kathy for some lunch. We wandered around the festival in a bit of a hungover HOT daze for a while, followed the Ed kids stage rumour again and got to hear Perry Farrell for the third time... this time with the excellent School of Rock Allstars and then made our way to KOL. Picked a spot at the disabled thing where you could hold on to a rail and nobody could stand in front of you. Kathy made her way towards the front to see what it was like and texted us to say there was plenty of room. So unfortunately Carol had to drag me away from this GORGEOUS guy who strangely was chatting me up (my accent works wonders in Chicago, lol). We made our way towards 2nd row.

Got chatting to some really nice people around us. One girl was just there for MMJ so I let her stand in front of me for them and then she promptly thanked me and left. Then PJ came on... the weird thing was there was no pushing from the back... but from the front. The two guys in front of me at the barrier moved back. One of them was jumping up and down digging his elbows into my back every time (we were facing sideways) so I pushed back, he elbowed me sending me flying. I went back and elbowed him as hard as I could in the ribs and we had a slight verbal altercation. I guess I won cos he stopped jumping. The other guy who was in front of me strangely was holding the barrier and swaying in an out making it impossible to see. I didn't want to say anything though after giving out to the other guy. After a while we moved over to the left and some guy at the barrier asked to be taken out so I moved into his spot for the last few songs and had MUCH more fun there. God to stand in front of the other two guys and moved in and out as much as I could to show them how annoying it is... but I'm probably too small to have made a difference :D

Possibly the highlight of the concert for me was crazy mary. I just love this song live for whatever reason.

So afterwards I texted a guy Kevin, I'd met the day before to tell him where we were all going. He texted back saying he was in the House of Blues for a free after party... so we made our way over there. Guess who was playing? Perry Farrell, lol. It was great though cos I wasn't ready to stop rocking yet... got to shake his hand AGAIN lol. He HAS to be thinking I'm his biggest fan at this stage... I think he's stalking me personally. He just seemed to be everywhere I went.

So all in all an absolutely EXCELLENT weekend... I'll definitely be back to Chicago.

Phew... It's not fair having to do that with only 5 smilies... maybe I shoulda stretched it over a few posts, lol.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    that was a bit short... do you want to tell us about your tambourine again... ? :D

glad you had a good time!

oh, and YOU BITCH!!!!!!!!! :mad: (that was for getting in to The Vic show ;)
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • Options
    jrd wrote:
    that was a bit short... do you want to tell us about your tambourine again... ? :D

glad you had a good time!

oh, and YOU BITCH!!!!!!!!! :mad: (that was for getting in to The Vic show ;)
    :D Well I was bored... and the words just came... and there was nobody around for once so I got to post something really long without having to minimise... but seriously there was just so much to the festival that more and more things come into my head every now and then
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    Pearl Jam was awesome. Definately worth the 10 hour wait to be at the railing.

can't wait for them to come to boston again hoefully soon
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    :D well obviously the irishness is underestimated too... some guy fucking ELBOWED me when I tried to push him back cos he kept hitting me when he was jumping. He sent me flying... I went back there and elbowed him in the ribs as hard as I could... fucking prick... there's no excuse to go around getting violent with people.

Dudes - so glad that I am reading my buddy's posts and all the weird shit that people are saying about him...the ballet? a lesbian bar? grow up.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the story that has been mentioned a few times - I was on Stone's side, not far from the sound booth, and I was getting pushed around by asshole kids and dumb frat boys who think that they have a god-given right to go wherever the hell they want to go by crowd-surfing and not care how many people they kick in the goddamn head or shove out of the way. While trying to dodge a crowd-surfer, I apparently ended up inadvertently stepping in front of the guy who had been standing next to me. He decided, drunk asshole that he was, that this was an affront to his sensibilities. He screamed, "you bitch!", then threw a hard elbow into my right eye. I hit the ground instantly, saw stars, and could barely breathe. I was nearly trampled on the ground while I was out for a few moments. Thankfully, other real PJ fans tried to catch him - but he managed to melt into the crowd very quickly before they could grab ahold of him. Several folks donated their very well-needed water to me and helped me up. A few of them got a security guard, but alas there was nothing to he could do. I finally was able to stand, but my eye had completely swollen shut.

I managed to move, with some assistance, far far back to the nearest bar area, where I bought a pop to hold on my eye. The concessions lady, saint that she was, realized what i was doing and said, "honey, you need some real ice on that". She supplied me with a cup full of ice, and kept me refilled for free for the rest of the night. I wanted to leave (I was alone this whole time) because it hurt so bloody awful, but she told me, "If you leave, that jerk wins". So I stayed.

And I stayed far away, but I was still hot and sweaty and in the range of the occasional crowd-surfing jerk, but the folks around me kept an eye out for me (since I only had one!) and managed to redirect crowd-surfers away from me for the rest of the night. To them, the real PJ folks, I am eternally grateful.

I love PJ and have been to many, many shows, and this was not my greatest PJ experience, but I am with VeddHead: You are likely to have a bad show once in a while, and I had mine, and it sounds like others did too. So don't knock it. Or I'll elbow you in the face. :)
  • Options
    thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    I was right in front of the first security barrier on Stone's side, and some big asshole came by where I was and started pushing everybody around during Corduroy. Everyone pointed this big douche out to the security guards, and 2 of them jumped over the railing, tackled the guy to the ground and pulled him back over the railing. They struggled on the other side for a while. After that, there weren't really any assholes in the area (though it was packed and hot).

Thanks Security dudes!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    Whole webcast posted on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/0Mandarina0

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    you're welcome, that's what I'm here for.
    May 05, 1992 -November 26, 1993 -
    November 27, 1993 - November 28, 1993 -
    July 08, 1995 -July 09, 1995 -
    July 11, 1995 - June 26, 1998 -
    June 27, 1998 - October 08, 2000 -
    August 05, 2007
  • Options
    I only had a Sunday pass, but had a great time. We(my cousin and myself) were staying about 45 minutes out of Chicago. My mom and other had told him that it would be hard to get into Chicago. Well, they were wrong. We found it, and hit the line at about 8 PM or so. We talked to some people around us, who were from Canada. They were pretty cool, and I hope they had a good time. I was actually the first non-VIP/worker/whatever inside of Lollapalooza that day, since the security people didn't want me to get ran over(I have CP and walk on crutches). The day was awesome. I got to hear some bands I had not heard of(Juliette & The Licks, The Black Angels, Yo La Tengo) who were really good. Then I was excited to see Modest Mouse. I was ecstatic about PJ and KOL. KOL was definitely amazing when Ed came out and did "Slow Night, So Long" Then Pearl Jam was amazing. We were far back, but we could still see and hear the band really well. The only problem with people was the ones leaving to get beer, but most of them were pretty respectful. We were about 10 feet in front of the guys with the green fun noodles, if anyone else was in the area. It was a great event, and I can't wait to go back next year.
    I can kill because in God I trust.

06/24/06-Cincinnati, OH-US Bank Arena
    08/05/07-Chicago, IL-Grant Park(Lollapalooza)
  • Options
    I saw a girl getting carried off, probably you. Sorry to hear that though, hope you are all right now.

I'm OK now. It was like a 3 day hangover. The doctor wouldn't release me from the hospital until I said I would stay an extra day in chicago. After getting back to the hostel, though, I slept for 5 hours, could keep down crackers and just took my time, stopping at a few rest stops to nap when I felt sick. Trust me, you never want water intoxication. Drink Gatorade!
  • Options
    Can'tKeep wrote:
    Dudes - so glad that I am reading my buddy's posts and all the weird shit that people are saying about him...the ballet? a lesbian bar? grow up.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the story that has been mentioned a few times - I was on Stone's side, not far from the sound booth, and I was getting pushed around by asshole kids and dumb frat boys who think that they have a god-given right to go wherever the hell they want to go by crowd-surfing and not care how many people they kick in the goddamn head or shove out of the way. While trying to dodge a crowd-surfer, I apparently ended up inadvertently stepping in front of the guy who had been standing next to me. He decided, drunk asshole that he was, that this was an affront to his sensibilities. He screamed, "you bitch!", then threw a hard elbow into my right eye. I hit the ground instantly, saw stars, and could barely breathe. I was nearly trampled on the ground while I was out for a few moments. Thankfully, other real PJ fans tried to catch him - but he managed to melt into the crowd very quickly before they could grab ahold of him. Several folks donated their very well-needed water to me and helped me up. A few of them got a security guard, but alas there was nothing to he could do. I finally was able to stand, but my eye had completely swollen shut.

I managed to move, with some assistance, far far back to the nearest bar area, where I bought a pop to hold on my eye. The concessions lady, saint that she was, realized what i was doing and said, "honey, you need some real ice on that". She supplied me with a cup full of ice, and kept me refilled for free for the rest of the night. I wanted to leave (I was alone this whole time) because it hurt so bloody awful, but she told me, "If you leave, that jerk wins". So I stayed.

And I stayed far away, but I was still hot and sweaty and in the range of the occasional crowd-surfing jerk, but the folks around me kept an eye out for me (since I only had one!) and managed to redirect crowd-surfers away from me for the rest of the night. To them, the real PJ folks, I am eternally grateful.

I love PJ and have been to many, many shows, and this was not my greatest PJ experience, but I am with VeddHead: You are likely to have a bad show once in a while, and I had mine, and it sounds like others did too. So don't knock it. Or I'll elbow you in the face. :)
    Well I'm glad to hear everyone else was so nice to you... only takes one prick, eh? But sometimes something like this shows you how nice people CAN be. My friends started warning the guy who elbowed me that he'd be out if he did that again... I think that's what stopped him. I didn't want anyone thrown out... I was actually tempted to apologise to him later cos I didn't want any bad feelings in our area cos everyone else were so nice... but I just couldn't bring myself to apologise since I really hadn't done anything wrong.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    http://www.luminomagazine.com/mw/content/view/2128/1

a non-fanview, but a cool review, at this point in the thread it might be refreshing to note the second to last line - "The fans in the Pearl Jam audience were some of the nicest of the entire weekend. "

Pearl Jam Perfect Closer For Lollapolooza
    Written by JORDAN BRANDES
    Monday, 13 August 2007
    Each year the main headliner of the festival has the unmistaken honor of being the poster boy for the festival. Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam could not have done a better job of fulfilling that responsibility to both the festival and Chicago. The Chicago native brought his Seattle based band to close out the massive three-day festival that descended upon Chicago this weekend.

Many of the other concerts this past weekend felt like half-shows, even the headliners Saturday gave the impression of being cut off in the middle of what would have been a truly sensational show. Not so with Pearl Jam, even after 10 hours of shows on an intensely hot day thousands of people stayed to watch the band play a nearly two hour set.

There was nothing but love and nostalgia in the audience Sunday night as the festival drew to a close. Like saying goodbye on the last day of summer camp everyone gathered around, appreciating not just the band but what the festival represented. Vedder used his time on the stage to not only promote love and peace but also to get behind a cause. When he heard that Chicago’s own Lake Michigan was being polluted by the gas company BP Amoco he led the entire audience in a chant of “Don’t go BP Amoco” to much applause. “If you had a boyfriend or girlfriend that never brushed their teeth you wouldn’t kiss them would you? Do the same thing for Amoco. Till they change their ways don’t show them any love,” said Vedder.

The entire night had a cinematic quality to it, as fireworks blasted in the background during “World Wide Suicide” and “Even Flow” both crowd pleasers. Vedder let the audience do most of the singing for a version of “Daughter” that easily flowed into “We Don’t Need No Education” by Pink Floyd.

Vedder knows the benefit of such an audience and after a long and memorable career in the 90’s he showed his appreciation in any way he could. The show could almost be broken up into two distinct sets, the first hour long set ended with the perfectly placed “Alive”. Before singing Vedder took the time to thank all the bands that helped him in his career and that he had the pleasure to play with, both young and old. “We played with a lot of great people, not all of whom are here to share this with us today” he said. One could not help but be nostalgic of days gone by.

After “Alive” the band took a bow and walked off stage for nearly four minutes and while the audience chanted “Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam” over and over everything remained still. Despite the awkward silence not one person moved, their devotion to the band and the festival was unwavering.

Vedder and company walked back on stage at almost the five-minute mark and went right into a roaring “Better Man” to loud and booming applause. No one wanted that night to end, it would mean waking Monday morning and going back to work away from the loving crowd the festival provided. The fans in the Pearl Jam audience were some of the nicest of the entire weekend. If only every festival could bring this same sense of community and love to the city.
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    i am just so happy that i was there...i went for pearl jam and pearl jam only...after walking around all of grant park(1 full hour) to find the enterance and 6 bottles of wine for 144 bucks...my girlfriend was there too ...make that 170 bucks(i'm a bartender as well)...i had a great time...however where i was, the crowd was not as into it as much as i was...i swear there was maybe 10 other people within 50 people that were singing along to elderly woman...i looked around to check...
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • Options
    I had a Sunday pass only and planned on leaving early in the morning to get there for the whole day, but after a late start (massive hangover), I didn't get there until 3:45. I went straight to the ATT stage and got there just in time for KOL. I've never heard them play before and I was blown away! What an awesome show! The only reason I went was to see PJ, so that was a pleasant surprise. PJ kicked ass as usual but I learned that closer isn't necessarily better when it comes to GA shows. I was probably forty feet back on Stone's side, and I couldn't see anything. It doesn't help that I'm 5'5'. I had a great time regardless, and met alot of very nice people.
    The answers are fatal

• Options
    Well since it's quiet on the board and I'm bored I may as well write my fanview of the FESTIVAL.

I wanna start by saying thanks to whoever spread the rumour that Ed would play kidzapalooza... cos Jim James singing Kermit the frog and the chipmunks was definitely one of the highlights. We got there before most people and sat on the grass quite close to the stage (with room for the kids to stand and dance in front of us) and it was just soooooo cute and funny and RANDOM... I absolutely loved it. Then to see Patti Smith come on afterwards was great.

One thing though, cos we were at the kids stage, I was going out to smoke. But then two OBVIOUSLY Patti Smith fans sat in front of us in the middle of the kids and one of them started lighting a cigarette. Everyone around me started going nuts saying 'she can't smoke that here' 'she's not going to light that is she?' 'oh my god, she's lighting it... she can't do that'. All it takes is to say it to somebody nicely. I just patted her and said 'sorry I don't think we should smoke here cos it's the kids stage and stuff. I've been going out and your spot's still going to be here, we just don't wanna get in trouble and be kicked out'. And she was nice, didn't take offense and said 'you're right, I never thought of that, I'll go out'. Why do people get so worked up when all it takes is pointing something out to somebody? I'll never understand.

Anyway the festival started for me and Barbara on Friday when we FINALLY made it into the grounds (after a couple of cocktails outside and a lovely walk along lake Michigan) for the Black Keys, who were really really good. Then Ben Harper came on... we found a barrier spot about half an hour before no problem. The good thing about Ben was that I didn't know any of his stuff so I'd no high expectations. He was absolutely fucking amazing. Although I have never needed to pee so badly at a concert before. It finally got to the point where I thought 'fuck it I HAVE to go'. So Carlos came with me. I was just about to go into a portoloo when Ben started talking about his friend... Carlos roared at me... and the pair of us ran. I've never ran so fast in my life with the flag flying behind me :D I'm sure it was funny to anyone watching. Made it back in time for Ed to come on for an AMAZING version of masters of war. By that stage we were WELL warmed up and in good form and it was just beautiful. After that I finally got to pee so all was well and good :)

The Saturday we decided to sample some Chicago pizza... before it arrived we got the message about Ed playing the kids stage so we had to run from the pizza place to Grant park... actually I walked quite fast as Sandra and Barbara ran on ahead :D . Anyway then we got to see Jim James, Patti Smith and Perry Farrell (my first of many).

Afterwards we were walking around some stalls and suddenly Perry set up stage in one of the stalls and played a short set. I even got to shake his hand afterwards (even though I'd no idea who he was before the festival and didn't know any of his or Jane's stuff). So that was my 2nd time seeing him, lol. Then we set up camp in the middle of the AT&T field and got a LITTLE bit drunk... just dancing to the various bands playing. That's where my memory goes weird... next thing I know I'm watching Muse thinking 'this is fucking brilliant'. Then I'm talking to a group of Irish people who also came over for lolla. Then I'm being asked to go on a game show. I've no idea in what order these happened or anything else around them. Next thing I know we're at the CCFA after party... talking to random people. I remember some of them :o

Next thing I remember I'm back at the room and Barbara gets a text from Sandra and Emily saying there are some people already queuing... so me, her and Bar get ready, grab our ponchos (it was raining) and head to the queue. I stayed about 10 minutes but got sooooooo bloody wet and was sitting on bin bags that Barbara generously shared with me... IN A PUDDLE. So I thought 'fuck this... I've a nice warm dry bed waiting for me at the hard rock hotel' so I went back there.

Sunday I woke about 12ish... finally got my act together and met Carol and Kathy for some lunch. We wandered around the festival in a bit of a hungover HOT daze for a while, followed the Ed kids stage rumour again and got to hear Perry Farrell for the third time... this time with the excellent School of Rock Allstars and then made our way to KOL. Picked a spot at the disabled thing where you could hold on to a rail and nobody could stand in front of you. Kathy made her way towards the front to see what it was like and texted us to say there was plenty of room. So unfortunately Carol had to drag me away from this GORGEOUS guy who strangely was chatting me up (my accent works wonders in Chicago, lol). We made our way towards 2nd row.

Got chatting to some really nice people around us. One girl was just there for MMJ so I let her stand in front of me for them and then she promptly thanked me and left. Then PJ came on... the weird thing was there was no pushing from the back... but from the front. The two guys in front of me at the barrier moved back. One of them was jumping up and down digging his elbows into my back every time (we were facing sideways) so I pushed back, he elbowed me sending me flying. I went back and elbowed him as hard as I could in the ribs and we had a slight verbal altercation. I guess I won cos he stopped jumping. The other guy who was in front of me strangely was holding the barrier and swaying in an out making it impossible to see. I didn't want to say anything though after giving out to the other guy. After a while we moved over to the left and some guy at the barrier asked to be taken out so I moved into his spot for the last few songs and had MUCH more fun there. God to stand in front of the other two guys and moved in and out as much as I could to show them how annoying it is... but I'm probably too small to have made a difference

Possibly the highlight of the concert for me was crazy mary. I just love this song live for whatever reason.

So afterwards I texted a guy Kevin, I'd met the day before to tell him where we were all going. He texted back saying he was in the House of Blues for a free after party... so we made our way over there. Guess who was playing? Perry Farrell, lol. It was great though cos I wasn't ready to stop rocking yet... got to shake his hand AGAIN lol. He HAS to be thinking I'm his biggest fan at this stage... I think he's stalking me personally. He just seemed to be everywhere I went.

So all in all an absolutely EXCELLENT weekend... I'll definitely be back to Chicago.

Phew... It's not fair having to do that with only 5 smilies... maybe I shoulda stretched it over a few posts, lol.

It was good seeing you again too...... ;)
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • Options
    I was amazed by the band! It was my first show and they have a fan for life....like they didn't before. And seeing MMJ before them rocking the shit out of the crowd also was awesome. I had a fun time as I'm sure Krisdababe did. I got to meet Jim James from MMJ at the Hard Rock Hotelwhere we stayed. I also gave Lady GaGa a cigarette. I dont necessarily like her music but she was a cool person...not to mention smoking hot!
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    It was good seeing you again too...... ;)
    :D You know I agree :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I live in Chicago so I was able to go back and forth between home each day and sleep in my own bed which was nice. All in all the entire weekend was AMAZING! It was my first festival, and I will definitely be going to one next summer.

One thing I have learned though is that you really shouldn't go expecting to see the greatest set from any one individual band. The sets are shortened, and most bands focus on their most popular songs since those will be known to most in the audience.

That being said, seeing Eddie play Masters of War with Ben Harper was the single greatest concert moment in my life!

I couldn't bring myself to miss all the other great music going on around the fest on Sunday, so I had a crummy spot for PJ, but still had a great time. I joined the crowd before MMJ, but after their set, people around started really pushing inwards and we decided to retreat to a more friendly area. We found some nice people to hang around, and I must say they were MUCH better than the typical fans I'm around at a PJ show. I had a great time even though I couldn't see shit half the time.

Maybe most people complaining here about the crowd are in the 10c, because all in all I am almost always surrounded by assholes at PJ shows telling Eddie to "shut up and play." This time everyone around was singing along to everything including lesser known songs.

Crowd surfing and moshing happens at most every GA show, it's nothing new and you really shouldn't go into one expecting people not to do it. I'm sure our boys in PJ did their fair share back in the 90's.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    That being said, seeing Eddie play Masters of War with Ben Harper was the single greatest concert moment in my life!
    I agree... you can download Ben's set here:

http://www.largeheartedboy.com/blog/archive/2007/08/2007_lollapaloo.html
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options

Thanks! I'll download it after work today :)
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll download it after work today :)
    No problem :) It's good quality too... sounds like maybe it wasn't an audience recording. I dunno, I don't know these things, lol, but it's just great to have THAT masters of war on a CD :eek: :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I just got done reminiscing about my experience after watching some of the Youtube vids. I had a great time and I'm sorry that some of you didn't. I came all the way from Florida to see these guys again, and it sure as worth the trip. It was nice meeting up with some of my rowdy PJ-lovin' friends from Wisconsin & Missouri. Depsite the moshers and crowd surfers on top of me (I'm 5'3" & 105lbs), I managed to enjoy the show with hardcaore PJ fans/friends even though we were in the right, mid-section of the crowd. I loved that they played Education (too bad I couldn't make The Vic show seeing how I just moved to Florida)! The frat boys had no clue what was going on with that or Small Town, no suprise!

Thanks to to gentlemen PJ fans in front of me who gave me a quick lift to get some pics! All in all, this was my first trip to Chicago, and boy what a beautiful city!! I usually avoid festivals since I stopped surfing & moshing in 1992, but for a pint-sized, 34 year old like me, it was a blast!!
    I was bitten, must have been the devil.....

06 Leg I~ Continental II
    07 Lollapalooza
    08 Tampa
    08 EV DC I
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    I just got back from the trip me and my bf made through the US and Canada. We had a wonderful vacation with the PJ shows as the highlight....well, right behind my bf asking me to marry him :)

First would like to thank the Chicagans who we met at Nijmegen and who had planted this seed within our brains...to come to Chitown and see PJ perform there.
    We had the greatest time in Chicago and met some really great ppl...you know who you are!!!

About Lolla:
    The heat was horrible, but the bands were great! I enjoyed LupeFiasco to my surprise, great energy and fun performance. Felt sorry for his fans who could not get near the front bc all of us PJ fans had blocked the barrier for the day. I was standing second row on Mike's side and let some of them in front of me. They reassured me that they would leave after the rapper, and I trusted them somehow ;). They were nice! I have gotten into KOL since some months and I think they were great. Their singer looked freshly cut and very happy. More energy then they seemd to have had in Nijmegen.
    Got a funny pic of Ed looking at the lyrics on his smashed tambourine..seemingly thinking "fuck, what have I done now.." :D
    I will put all my photos online soon.
    I felt drenched already and still had to wait so many hours for PJ. But it was defenitely worth it!!
    Great energetic show! When Ed came to the front and gave his wine bottle away I was right behind the guy that got him (lucky you!!). Loved the final with all the people on stage..one happy family.

It sucked when Ed was coming right to our side with his tambourine in throwing-mode and a crowd surfer just came over us and slammed into the neck of the girl in front of me. When I could look to the stage again Ed had gone back to the middle and he threw his tambourine to some guy on stage. The girl seemed alright btw...hope the surfer was not!

Thanks so much to the big guy that was getting water all the time!! And it was great meeting some of the pj fans that were on the rail!
    Oscar, it was very nice to meet you!!

Saludos, Francisca.
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    I just got back from the trip me and my bf made through the US and Canada. We had a wonderful vacation with the PJ shows as the highlight....well, right behind my bf asking me to marry him :)
    :eek: CONGRATULATIONS :) Sorry I didn't get to meet you... I got the text and can't remember why I couldn't go to the room but I swear I had a good reason :o

But that's excellent news :) Now I want details of the proposal please?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :eek: CONGRATULATIONS :) Sorry I didn't get to meet you... I got the text and can't remember why I couldn't go to the room but I swear I had a good reason :o

But that's excellent news :) Now I want details of the proposal please?

Yeah, I heard so much about you from everyone. Saw Darkstar and Foxymop and Pegasus and Edwho for the second time...and a couple more that I dont remember. Was waiting for the famous Helen and Lou as well, but never met you guys.

Well, the proposal...well, this may not be the right place to talk about that. But it was short and sweet! You know what I will make a thread on the AET...lol..its kinda PJ related still, sort off...lol.
  • Options
    Yeah, I heard so much about you from everyone. Saw Darkstar and Foxymop and Pegasus and Edwho for the second time...and a couple more that I dont remember. Was waiting for the famous Helen and Lou as well, but never met you guys.

Well, the proposal...well, this may not be the right place to talk about that. But it was short and sweet! You know what I will make a thread on the AET...lol..its kinda PJ related still, sort off...lol.
    You met all them? Where was I then? Lol

Ooohh... start the thread :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Here it is :D ...haha:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=4739908#post4739908

I am still on that pink PJ cloud...btw...

....clouds roll by.....