The Golf Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    That was a funny awkward pause between the two of them.

I think Faxon has a good point.  The Ryder Cup is US vs Europe. A golf competition.  No money on the line.  I believe PGA of America runs it, and the reigning PGA champ is Koepka.  

I was anti-LIV initially and still don’t think much of it, but when you factor in how the Tour was trying to get after that Communist Chinese market to get the money (I mean grow the game), it is tough to judge.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Chamblee is the worst.  LIV stinks but if a guy is eligible via qualifying then you have to take him.  And Zach Johnson would have to be insane not to take Koepka even if he doesn't automatically qualify.
    Chamblee is the worst.  LIV stinks but if a guy is eligible via qualifying then you have to take him.  And Zach Johnson would have to be insane not to take Koepka even if he doesn't automatically qualify.
    I like Chamblee, but disagree with his take here completely.   It is an exhibition.  Best players from US against best players from Europe.   Understand the automatic entries, but we should pick the best of the rest for the captain's picks.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I’d say Block got out over his skis a bit these past 24 hours with the rory distance interview and now in dead fucking last. 

Him missing the cut was the surest bet of all time. Wish I took that 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I’d say Block got out over his skis a bit these past 24 hours with the rory distance interview and now in dead fucking last. 

No shit... What a bunch of crap that was.  These pros work around the greens is nothing like he can do.  I don't care how good his mid and short irons are, the pros creativity in the short game is out of this world.  

Dude did something like 30 interviews before the tourney started.  As with most things, just can't have a nice story....the tour and the media have to beat it to death until people start not liking him.  I think it was only -300 for him to miss the cut....should have put my life savings on that.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Wobbie said:
    Brooks and Bryson received clear and distinct boos on the first tee at pga today. Probably would have been drowned out by a larger crowd if the weather was better, but still glad to hear the fans most loyal to the game (showing up in very poor weather) have a good idea what the score is with these two Saudi golfers
    can you leave the saudi tour or will they cut you up with a bone saw if you try? I think koepka kinda regrets his decision.

I kinda miss having tiger around to root against.
    The penalty for beaching their LIV contracts is 4x their signing bonus. So it’s be like $400 million for Brooks to leave. 

The people booing Brooks and Bryson are probably the same dumbasses that yell “Baba Booey” or “mashed potatoes” after a player hits. That’s not to say I think there aren’t a good portion of people that may dislike them due to LIV. But to audibly boo on the opening tee of a golf major is definitely something reserved for the Baba Booey bros. 

I have Brooks to win at +930 (bet placed on Thursday during round 1) and another bet at +380 (placed yesterday when he was outplaying everyone). Scheffler is four stokes back and he’s always a concern. I’d bet anything against Hovland (feel free to throw this back in my face when he wins). And Connors is a wildcard. Don’t know what to expect from him today. 

Nah the mashed potatoes and baba booeys are all pop loving bro boyz cheering on anything popular. Watched some politico journo on the news talking about rooting against all the Saudi golfers. I’m with him, I actively root against golfers now for the first time, and would absolutely boo any LIV golfer. Otherwise not sure why we bother with that first amendment or spending trillions on defending “freedom” - Glad you took home some nice dough on the bone saw boy.
    Wobbie said:
    Brooks and Bryson received clear and distinct boos on the first tee at pga today. Probably would have been drowned out by a larger crowd if the weather was better, but still glad to hear the fans most loyal to the game (showing up in very poor weather) have a good idea what the score is with these two Saudi golfers
    can you leave the saudi tour or will they cut you up with a bone saw if you try? I think koepka kinda regrets his decision.

The penalty for beaching their LIV contracts is 4x their signing bonus. So it’s be like $400 million for Brooks to leave. 

The people booing Brooks and Bryson are probably the same dumbasses that yell “Baba Booey” or “mashed potatoes” after a player hits. That’s not to say I think there aren’t a good portion of people that may dislike them due to LIV. But to audibly boo on the opening tee of a golf major is definitely something reserved for the Baba Booey bros. 

I have Brooks to win at +930 (bet placed on Thursday during round 1) and another bet at +380 (placed yesterday when he was outplaying everyone). Scheffler is four stokes back and he’s always a concern. I’d bet anything against Hovland (feel free to throw this back in my face when he wins). And Connors is a wildcard. Don’t know what to expect from him today. 

Nah the mashed potatoes and baba booeys are all pop loving bro boyz cheering on anything popular. Watched some politico journo on the news talking about rooting against all the Saudi golfers. I’m with him, I actively root against golfers now for the first time, and would absolutely boo any LIV golfer. Otherwise not sure why we bother with that first amendment or spending trillions on defending “freedom” - Glad you took home some nice dough on the bone saw boy.
    Truth.. I feel the same way.  
    Wobbie said:

Would you have taken $100M to play golf for four years where the money was funded by a regime that the US government is friendly with and sells them weapons?   I would have taken the $100M and hopefully done more good with it than the Saudis would.
    edited May 2023
    Wobbie said:

Would you have taken $100M to play golf for four years where the money was funded by a regime that the US government is friendly with and sells them weapons?   I would have taken the $100M and hopefully done more good with it than the Saudis would.
    The choice wasn't 100MM or no money.  For someone like Phil, he was earning 40-50MM each year in endorsements.  That was the choice he made, 100MM in blood money or $50MM plus earnings.  Now he gets his hundred and almost nothing in endorsements.  

Further, he has already earned over $800MM in his career.  But yeah, he took the extra 50. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    Phil was either greed or necessity due to gambling probably.

Happy for Viktor.  

It is a Big 2 with Scheffler at 1 and Rahm at 2.

Hovland in the 3 spot right now trying to call it a Big 3.
    Happy for Viktor.  

It is a Big 2 with Scheffler at 1 and Rahm at 2.

Hovland in the 3 spot right now trying to call it a Big 3.
    I really, really like Viktor.  Definitely glad he got a big win like this.  Next step is a major.  This was pretty close and had to fight out some big names.  He is a complete player, especially the way his short game is improving.  
    The rose zhang story is pretty wild and awesome too
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Wow. The Tour has agreed to merge with LIV. Deal will be announced later today. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    lolol wwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt
    edited June 2023
    Here's the official announcement from the Tour's website.

PGA TOUR, DP World Tour and PIF announce newly formed commercial entity to unify golf

NEW YORK; RIYADH; PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Florida, June 6, 2023 – The PGA TOUR, DP World Tour and the Public Investment Fund (PIF) today announced a landmark agreement to unify the game of golf, on a global basis. The parties have signed an agreement that combines PIF’s golf-related commercial businesses and rights (including LIV Golf) with the commercial businesses and rights of the PGA TOUR and DP World Tour into a new, collectively owned, for-profit entity to ensure that all stakeholders benefit from a model that delivers maximum excitement and competition among the game’s best players.

In addition, PIF will make a capital investment into the new entity to facilitate its growth and success. The new entity (name TBD) will implement a plan to grow these combined commercial businesses, drive greater fan engagement and accelerate growth initiatives already underway. With LIV Golf in the midst of its second, groundbreaking season, the PGA TOUR, DP World Tour and PIF will work together to best feature and grow team golf going forward.

Notably, today’s announcement will be followed by a mutually agreed end to all pending litigation between the participating parties. Further, the three organizations will work cooperatively and in good faith to establish a fair and objective process for any players who desire to re-apply for membership with the PGA TOUR or the DP World Tour following the completion of the 2023 season and for determining fair criteria and terms of re-admission, consistent with each Tour’s policies.

“After two years of disruption and distraction, this is a historic day for the game we all know and love,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Jay Monahan. “This transformational partnership recognizes the immeasurable strength of the PGA TOUR’s history, legacy and pro-competitive model and combines with it the DP World Tour and LIV – including the team golf concept – to create an organization that will benefit golf’s players, commercial and charitable partners and fans. Going forward, fans can be confident that we will, collectively, deliver on the promise we’ve always made – to promote competition of the best in professional golf and that we are committed to securing and driving the game’s future.

“We are pleased to move forward, in step with LIV and PIF’s world-class investing experience, and I applaud PIF Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan for his vision and collaborative and forward-thinking approach that is not just a solution to the rift in our game, but also a commitment to taking it to new heights. This will engender a new era in global golf, for the better.”

“Today is a very exciting day for this special game and the people it touches around the world,” said PIF Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan. “We are proud to partner with the PGA TOUR to leverage PIF’s unparalleled success and track record of unlocking value and bringing innovation and global best practices to business and sectors worldwide. We are committed to unifying, promoting and growing the game of golf around the world and offering the highest-quality product to the many millions of long-time fans globally, while cultivating new fans.

“There is no question that the LIV model has been positively transformative for golf. We believe there are opportunities for the game to evolve while also maintaining its storied history and tradition. This partnership represents the best opportunity to extend and increase the impact of golf for all. We look forward to collaborating with Jay and Keith to bring the best version of the game to communities around the world.”

Under the terms of the agreement, the Board of Directors of the new entity will oversee and direct all the new entity’s golf-related commercial operations, businesses and investments. The new entity will work to ensure a cohesive schedule of events that will be exciting for fans, sponsors and all stakeholders. PIF will initially be the exclusive investor in the new entity, alongside the PGA TOUR, LIV Golf and the DP World Tour. Going forward, PIF will have the exclusive right to further invest in the new entity, including a right of first refusal on any capital that may be invested in the new entity, including into the PGA TOUR, LIV Golf and DP World Tour. The PGA TOUR will appoint a majority of the Board and hold a majority voting interest in the combined entity.

Separately, PGA TOUR Inc. will remain in place as a 501(c)(6) tax exempt organization and retains administrative oversight of events for those assets contributed by the PGA TOUR, including the sanctioning of events, the administration of the competition and rules, as well as all other “inside the ropes” responsibilities, with Jay Monahan as Commissioner and Ed Herlihy as PGA TOUR Policy Board Chairman. PIF’s Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan will join the PGA TOUR Policy Board. The DP World Tour and LIV Golf will retain similar administrative oversight of events on their respective Tours.

The Board of Directors of the new commercial entity will include Al-Rumayyan as Chairman and Monahan as Chief Executive Officer; the new entity’s Board will also include an Executive Committee comprising Al-Rumayyan, Monahan, Herlihy and PGA TOUR Policy Board member Jimmy Dunne. The full Board will be announced at a later date, and it is anticipated that all three founding members will have representation.

Keith Pelley, Chief Executive of the DP World Tour, said “This is a momentous day. We are delighted to be able to not only reignite our relationship with PIF, but also to have the opportunity to build on our current Strategic Alliance partnership with the PGA TOUR. Together we will be stronger than ever and well positioned to continue to bring the game to all corners of the globe. To partner in this new entity and influence the growth of the game for all our DP World Tour members is energizing and exciting.”

All parties will work in the months to come to finalize terms of the agreement, with details to be announced in due course.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    WHAT??

WTF man, PGA sells out to the Saudis?  This better be a Saudi exit plan. 
    Holy shit.
    mrussel1 said:
    WHAT??

WTF man, PGA sells out to the Saudis?  This better be a Saudi exit plan. 
    It has to be.  No way the tour is letting the Saudis take control.  Saudis wanted the lawsuit to go away since the crown prince or whatever they call him would have had to sit for a deposition.
    Surprised but not surprised.  Surprised they did this with SA, but not surprised it was about money for everyone all along.   
    This changes things for the Ryder Cup.  All the LIV folks are back in I imagine for captain roles in the future.  

Hopefully the four majors can stay that way, but I think I'm done with pro golf.   At least with this batch of players who spouted off the nonsense about legacy.  
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    This stinks. The Saudis bought their way out of the litigation and now own professional golf. Had to be a multi-billion dollar deal.
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    I would be incredibly pissed if I was Rory, JT, Spieth etc...especially Rory. Turn down who knows how much to stay loyal to the PGA Tour only to have them completely sell you out a few months later. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Get_Right said:
    This stinks. The Saudis bought their way out of the litigation and now own professional golf. Had to be a multi-billion dollar deal.
    yeah the details will be interesting if we ever know what they are...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

The PGA letter says the Saudis have a minority ownership in the new LLC
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited June 2023
    This is it...LIV is dead, Saudi owns pro golf

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Crazy how much shit the PGA brass and the players talked and now they joined forces with LIV.

Wow.

It was and always be about the money.
    Here's a pretty thorough write up from the WashPo.  It's a gift article, so anyone can read it.  https://wapo.st/3J1l85c

And here's one that talks through what we know and don't know about the merger.  https://wapo.st/3oSBqXu
    Alan Shipnuck’s latest podcast is worth a listen. He’s a golf writer that wrote the Phil book that started a lot of the shitstorm. Norman and Phil hate him even though he covers LIV very fairly. He also just finished a book on PGA vs. LIV (that he said he now needs to update). The pod gives good insight into what’s going on with all this. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs: