Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    PJ1973 said:
    My PT is going well here. I'm back to running 2 miles 3x a week, which is about what I had gotten myself up to before I started the therapy. My therapist likes dry needling and while it's helping, each session is getting more intense. And she says she's just getting started...

But I found a good run club at a brewery on Monday nights. Felt much more social than the first run club I started with, so that's good.
    Awesome, hope it continues and provides a lot of help for you. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    PJ1973 said:
    My PT is going well here. I'm back to running 2 miles 3x a week, which is about what I had gotten myself up to before I started the therapy. My therapist likes dry needling and while it's helping, each session is getting more intense. And she says she's just getting started...

But I found a good run club at a brewery on Monday nights. Felt much more social than the first run club I started with, so that's good.
    Glad to hear your PT is going well. I was thinking of joining a running club. They seem like a lot of fun. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    There is a running group that runs near me.  Once I could tell when they generally ran / what times, I changed my routine so I wouldn't see them.  :lol:

I prefer to run in the dark, by myself.  
  • PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 398
    The beer at the end helps me deal with running with strangers. It also helps with drinking with strangers!
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 633
    There is a running group that runs near me.  Once I could tell when they generally ran / what times, I changed my routine so I wouldn't see them.  :lol:

I prefer to run in the dark, by myself.  
    This sounds like me 😂 

I'm still ticking over, been well trained for months now and since the last race was cancelled it's been a strange feeling just maintaining. But only 4 weeks now u til Endure24. Started to plan for pacing, predicted food stop times etc. My wife and daughter are my crew for the 24 hours which will no doubt make me very emotional once I'm in the pain cave 😂
    edited May 2023
    Getting ready for a 5k this morning....and I am amazed by the number of super shoes I see people wearing.  Seems to grow every year.  Have seen 8, so far.  Probably 250 people here so far.  
    Is this really necessary for such a short run?  
    Do others who participate in races notice this, as well?

• NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,297
    Getting ready for a 5k this morning....and I am amazed by the number of super shoes I see people wearing.  Seems to grow every year.  Have seen 8, so far.  Probably 250 people here so far.  

I've not run a 5k, but plan on doing one on 6-11. Saw alot of super shoes at my half. I use Saucony endorphin speed 2, I love them. I have the pro 2's as well and I actually find them slower. 

Good luck on your race, what's your goal?
    Good luck with the 5K. What are super shoes? 

I am continuing with my 4 mile runs several times a week. Nothing but I still have a resting heart rate in the 50s. So that is my main reason for running in the first place. 
    Carbon plated shoes....some say it is cheating but I think they made rules about which ones could be worn during races and which couldn't.  (I think they couldn't be sponsor only shoes....they had to be available to the public.)  

PR'd by 53 seconds.  Making my way, slowly, toward that 19:59 goal.  Today I was 23:03.  2nd for my age group (old) but the dude who beat me ran a 19.  Good for me to aim and continue working toward.  
    Very flat course.   In 2 weeks I have another but this is not flat so I will not expect to beat my time fron today.  If I can pick up a minute or two a year, I can get there (I think) before I'm just too old to be sub-20.
    I need to start working out more for my upper body.  Think that can help pick up speed, overall.

Looked at the endorphin speed 2 and they don't have my size
      I like my fresh foams but always willing to try other stuff out.
    GlowGirl said:
    Good luck with the 5K. What are super shoes? 

I am continuing with my 4 mile runs several times a week. Nothing but I still have a resting heart rate in the 50s. So that is my main reason for running in the first place. 
    Good work, glad you are able to keep this going.  
    Your heart thanks you!
    Just a note, I really don't like the Speed 3's, very disappointed with the changes. Don't recommend at all
    What size do you wear? 
    Just a note, I really don't like the Speed 3's, very disappointed with the changes. Don't recommend at all
    Ok thanks!

What size do you wear? 
    10 wide.  They didn't have them on their site

Carbon plated shoes....some say it is cheating but I think they made rules about which ones could be worn during races and which couldn't.  (I think they couldn't be sponsor only shoes....they had to be available to the public.)  

PR'd by 53 seconds.  Making my way, slowly, toward that 19:59 goal.  Today I was 23:03.  2nd for my age group (old) but the dude who beat me ran a 19.  Good for me to aim and continue working toward.  
    Very flat course.   In 2 weeks I have another but this is not flat so I will not expect to beat my time fron today.  If I can pick up a minute or two a year, I can get there (I think) before I'm just too old to be sub-20.
    I need to start working out more for my upper body.  Think that can help pick up speed, overall.

Well done mate, almost a minute off the time is not to be sniffed at!

22 miles yesterday marks my final long run before the event in under 3 weeks time. All has gone well, it's just been a long drag since my last race was cancelled
    22 miles, awesome. 
    At a level 2 pave?  Nice and easy, consistent throughout?
    Or, did you vary it?
    22 miles, awesome. 
    Or, did you vary it?
    I mixed it up, including a walking section to get in some food, trying to replicate what I'll be doing on the 24hr effort. Got it done in 4 so wasn't rushing.

That's a decent chunk off your time, must make you feel positive going forward 👍
    beano.79 said:
    22 miles, awesome. 
    Or, did you vary it?
    I mixed it up, including a walking section to get in some food, trying to replicate what I'll be doing on the 24hr effort. Got it done in 4 so wasn't rushing.

That's a decent chunk off your time, must make you feel positive going forward 👍
    Yeah, I believe I can get there.  (Sub 20 minute 5k)  I've heard from other that taking 9 mins off was impossible (from my first 5k in 2019 when I shared that goal) and then even as recently as this year when I told someone I came in just under 24 that 5 minutes was too much to aim for.  
    I don't listen to any of that.
    It'll be hard but I fully believe that if I continue to work, I will continue to gain.

It is the journey, anyway, and not the destination.  My life will not get magically better when I hit this goal.
    Magically:) it already is better and will continue to improve as I work toward that goal.

Also...I'm 50 next year so will have a shot at winning more events against 59 year Olds.  :lol:  
    beano.79 said:
    22 miles, awesome. 
    Or, did you vary it?

Yeah, I believe I can get there.  (Sub 20 minute 5k)  I've heard from other that taking 9 mins off was impossible (from my first 5k in 2019 when I shared that goal) and then even as recently as this year when I told someone I came in just under 24 that 5 minutes was too much to aim for.  
    I don't listen to any of that.
    It'll be hard but I fully believe that if I continue to work, I will continue to gain.

It is the journey, anyway, and not the destination.  My life will not get magically better when I hit this goal.
    Magically:) it already is better and will continue to improve as I work toward that goal.

Also...I'm 50 next year so will have a shot at winning more events against 59 year Olds.  :lol:  
    Exactly..it's a great goal, with plenty more goals to meet along the way. Just go for it and enjoy the ride

Your time is impressive. I am sure you will make that goal. You are so motivated. I admire your tenacity.

beano.79 said:
    22 miles, awesome. 
    Or, did you vary it?

I am tired just thinking about this run you are doing. 24 hours. Wow!!!

Dang, 19:30 was my best 5K....when I was 18! Now, at about to turn 50, my goal is to get it under 30. My PR was 32:24 after starting out at about 37, so I'm pretty confident I can get that this year, as long as PT continues well. Certainly is inspiring to see your time drop like it did!

I've got a goal set to do my first half-marathon in December so I'm training for that this summer too. 
    Awesome.   I wish I tried races at 18.  Played soccer, baseball, and basketball...and was much faster than I am now.  Never tried.
    I think just by stretching out your runs to get beyond 10 miles that you will significantly increase your speed.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

Ran in my hometown tonight. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Gorgeous!
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that they're trying them out before a longer race. What I've read is that they don't have much impact on non-elite runners. I know Brooks' super shoes have a very short lifespan, can't speak to other brands, but I can't imagine paying $250 for a shoe that's done after 150 miles if I'm not competitive enough to earn back that money and then some in races.

I've also seen people at 5Ks with Camelbaks and hydration belts -- enough fluids for a 20-mile run. Again, if you're trying them out in a race situation, okay (but why not try them in a long run?), but you don't need a gallon of liquid to go 3.1 miles, even if you're walking it.

Speaking of hydration: an innovation that I read might actually be making a difference in performance is improved fueling. I think I read that Maurten is absorbed in such a way that the fuel hits the bloodstream faster, without GI issues, and that might be making a difference in races even more than the shoes. Something to explore, perhaps?
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    edited May 2023
    I'm an lmnt guy on runs of 10 or more miles I bring some.  
    On the hydro, I also chuckle at that.  For a 5k, no fluids needed.  Perhaps everyone is different

Have another 5k on Saturday.   My sister in law works for the group putting it on so I said I would join, even though I wanted to do the George Washington Bridge 10k on Sunday.
    Oh well - next year I'll return to that one

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Applied to my first race. A 10km run being organized in many places in Sweden to spread the word about donating blood. 

A collegue will join for the 5km option. 

Will only run it to run it. Don’t care about the time etc. Maybe drink a beer afterwards
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    That is awesome 👌.   I think you will enjoy the run and run well!