Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    GlowGirl said:
    Hey. I am trying for Chicago, MN, and Austin. I guess we will see. Good luck with the half. I am just doing my normal runs. Keep us posted. 
    Good luck on the ticket draws today and tomorrow!
    Thanks. Good luck everyone who put in or the lottery. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    GG, ran in your city this AM.
    Beautiful run....had not run in 6 days even though I have a 10M race on Sunday.  Felt great!
    Came out a little hot, slowed down the last mile+.  4.5 in and ready for Sunday....might do a few miles Friday AM but based on how strong I felt this am I'm thinking I tend to overtrain during my taper.  ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Nice. I am glad you enjoyed the run. That is awesome!! I wish I knew you were in town.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    GlowGirl said:
    Nice. I am glad you enjoyed the run. That is awesome!! I wish I knew you were in town.
    Yeah I had zero time, was on the job until late each night and I'm still so exhausted from my trip I got every spare minute of sleep I could.  Wasn't sure what time I was gonna run or where I was until late the night prior.
    Next time!
    GlowGirl said:
    Yeah I had zero time, was on the job until late each night and I'm still so exhausted from my trip I got every spare minute of sleep I could.  Wasn't sure what time I was gonna run or where I was until late the night prior.
    Next time!
    For sure. Just let me know. We could grab dinner or a drink. 

Btw I may have to reduce my running for a bit. Last month I had a physical and my A1C crept up into the prediabetic range. Since I am thin and exercise frequently the doctor thinks it is more genetics. Both my parents take meds for type 2. The issue is that once I started reducing my carbs my weight plummeted. I am already a bit underweight and generally rely on carbs to keep my weight up. Now I have to gain 8 pounds while still reducing my carbs. It has been tough. My sister is a dietician and has been working with me. She is also a runner. She suggested that for a while I reduce my miles to conserve calories. She suggested going from 5.5 miles per run to 3.5 miles. We compromised on 4 miles. Have any of you had to gain weight while reducing carbs? Any advice. I am stuffing myself with nuts and avocados and other healthier fats but  the weight is coming on so slowly. I am going to get my A1c tested again in 3 months. Hopefully, it will go back to the normal range and I can up my carb intake a bit and get back to running more. 
  • NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,297
    Just finished my HM, 1:29:25! Felt great throughout. Paced much better this time
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 633
    Just finished my HM, 1:29:25! Felt great throughout. Paced much better this time
    Yes! Fantastic time! Congratulations, great effort
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Next time!
    For sure. Just let me know. We could grab dinner or a drink. 

Btw I may have to reduce my running for a bit. Last month I had a physical and my A1C crept up into the prediabetic range. Since I am thin and exercise frequently the doctor thinks it is more genetics. Both my parents take meds for type 2. The issue is that once I started reducing my carbs my weight plummeted. I am already a bit underweight and generally rely on carbs to keep my weight up. Now I have to gain 8 pounds while still reducing my carbs. It has been tough. My sister is a dietician and has been working with me. She is also a runner. She suggested that for a while I reduce my miles to conserve calories. She suggested going from 5.5 miles per run to 3.5 miles. We compromised on 4 miles. Have any of you had to gain weight while reducing carbs? Any advice. I am stuffing myself with nuts and avocados and other healthier fats but  the weight is coming on so slowly. I am going to get my A1c tested again in 3 months. Hopefully, it will go back to the normal range and I can up my carb intake a bit and get back to running more. 
    I haven't had to do that....don't really have any advice.  Sorry to hear this news but am glad you are focused.

Wow, awesome!  That is very fast, to me.  Damn!  I'll be happy to be 126 tomorrow at a 10 miler.  :lol:
  • PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 398
    Don't think I've posted in here before. I've of and on run for two years usually stopping after a few rain days. I've been consistent now since January and get to run my first 5k of the year tomorrow- in a steady rainfall! Wish me luck, I've never run in stormy weather  :)
    PJ1973 said:
    Don't think I've posted in here before. I've of and on run for two years usually stopping after a few rain days. I've been consistent now since January and get to run my first 5k of the year tomorrow- in a steady rainfall! Wish me luck, I've never run in stormy weather  :)
    Good luck! And good job being consistent!
    beano.79 said:
    Yes! Fantastic time! Congratulations, great effort
    Thanks!
    PJ1973 said:
    Good luck!  Running in the rain is OK, so long as you are not on trails.  If on trails, be careful with your footing.   Enjoy yourself!
    It's a road race, so don't need to worry about the mud at least!

Congrats. That is amazing. Your time was great. Good job with the training. 
    PJ1973 said:
    Welcome to the thread. Everyone on here is great with the motivation and advice. I hope you keep posting. Good luck with the 5K tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. 
    Hope you fared better than I did today, @pj1973.  
    I was 3 minutes off my pr.  I guess running only once in the 10 days leading up was a poor idea.  :lol:   couldn't be helped.  You all know i go at it early, in shit weather, etc....but there was no helping this.
    Was great through 5.  Waa dog meat after 7, lol.  
    Oh well....I still had fun and have another experience running.
    The weather held out for us and it didn't rain! My personal best for a 5K as an adult at 32:33, more than a minute better than my previous best time.  Working my way up to a 10K in the fall and I'm quite happy with how today went.
    PJ1973 said:
    The weather held out for us and it didn't rain! My personal best for a 5K as an adult at 32:33, more than a minute better than my previous best time.  Working my way up to a 10K in the fall and I'm quite happy with how today went.
    Awesome and congrats!
    PJ1973 said:
    Great work!
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    Cross country ski season is over now so I'm transitioning back to running.  Easing into it though to avoid injury and always a little nervous about running on pavement. Nice to be back into the running shoes and hopefully have a good running season. Not sure if I'll do any races this year but I enjoy the mind relaxation of running, especially on trails. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    ran in the rain. And in the woods a bit

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    5.5 weeks until my 24hr race. Been bit of a rubbish 2 weeks after hurting my back at work. I haven't needed to stop running but the mileage and effort has been way lower than ideal. It has most completely eased so now I can get back into it properly. 4 more training weekends available and I shouldn't have lost too much over the last 2 weeks.

I'm starting to get a little nervous, I've certainly forgotten all the pain of the 100 miler back in 2021 😂
    ran in the rain. And in the woods a bit

Looks a great place to run 👍
    Following up on my 5K, I started physical therapy today! I've had a nagging injury in my left inner thigh for about a month. I met a PT after the race Sunday, and got an appointment for today. Some massage, dry needling, and strength exercises later, feeling a little better. She recorded my run for future analysis too. Figured I'd do this now while I'm still starting out.

Any experiences with PT that any of you all have had? Good or bad for that matter. Never done this before.
    PJ1973 said:
    Following up on my 5K, I started physical therapy today! I've had a nagging injury in my left inner thigh for about a month. I met a PT after the race Sunday, and got an appointment for today. Some massage, dry needling, and strength exercises later, feeling a little better. She recorded my run for future analysis too. Figured I'd do this now while I'm still starting out.

Any experiences with PT that any of you all have had? Good or bad for that matter. Never done this before.
    I've had to do more PT in the last few years than the rest of my life combined.  Stress fracture in large bone in leg.  Torn tendon in ankle.  Knee fuckery.  All from running.  :)

I personally love it.  My PT is awesome and he beats the hell out of me.  He gets my attitude and pushes really hard.  I ended up buying a full length slide board and use at home....it was one of the things he made me do every time.  He also designed routines I could easily repeat at home.
    My favorite is his use of BFR cuffs.  Holy shit, they make base exercises feel like awful exercises.  
    My legs were probably the strongest they've been in over 10 years when I wrapped up PT last March.  He told me I was ready to finish in Feb but he let me come an extra 4 weeks since I was using it as a work out and he knew I was loving it.

Sometime it hurt.  A lot.  Especially with the work he would do on my knee.  
    All worth it.

My two cents is it depends on your PT and on your attitude.   

How is everyone doing. I am continuing to run only 4 miles per run to reduce calorie burn. I have gained about a pound, but have about 6-7 more to go. Ugh! Slowly but surely.
    Are you doing some other activities to offset the 20 minutes of lost running?  Good on you for finding a way to keep doing what you love

Signed up for a race on the 21st - a pizza run.  ;)
    Run a race, eat a slice!

Another race the 3rd or 4th of June, still deciding on which.  

This morning it was 40 and I had to wear layers.  On Monday morning it was 59 and I just had shorts and a t.  Wacky weather.  Ran hard for the middle 2 of 4 miles this morning.  Considering running again tomorrow AM, as it felt great.  
    Are you doing some other activities to offset the 20 minutes of lost running?  Good on you for finding a way to keep doing what you love

Run a race, eat a slice!

Another race the 3rd or 4th of June, still deciding on which.  

This morning it was 40 and I had to wear layers.  On Monday morning it was 59 and I just had shorts and a t.  Wacky weather.  Ran hard for the middle 2 of 4 miles this morning.  Considering running again tomorrow AM, as it felt great.  
    It has been good running weather. Its really only about 15 minutes of lost running. As far as other activities they have to be where I won't burn the same high number of calories. In any case my usual week is run 3 days a week, do weight training 2 days a week, and yoga once a week. Sometimes, I also throw in a Pilates session. So, I think I am still getting a lot of good exercise each week.

My PT is going well here. I'm back to running 2 miles 3x a week, which is about what I had gotten myself up to before I started the therapy. My therapist likes dry needling and while it's helping, each session is getting more intense. And she says she's just getting started...

But I found a good run club at a brewery on Monday nights. Felt much more social than the first run club I started with, so that's good.

Run a race, eat a slice!

Sounds like a race I would enjoy  B)