The Wire

123457»

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    MayDay10 said:
    I started finally watching this show.  I am 9 episodes in.  

It is pretty good.  I'm not sure it lives up to the hype I hear about it (yet).  Its still good though.  I get the authenticity needed, but a lot of the time I cant understand what people are saying, whether its the dialect of the people from the projects, or the police talking about procedures and ranks.  Its almost like I need subtitles to walk me through and untangle it all in real time.  

One thing I do like is the characters.  I pretty much like all the characters and feel strongly about their fates.  

20 years though, it hasnt aged too well.  The "Wire" is technology-based and things have come a long way since then!  Also, shows of the 2010s and 2020s have come more tightly-packed than this one.  
    Mr. Mayday....with all due respect, you're in no position to judge the show yet. Season 2 is better than 1. Season 3 is better than 2. Season 4 is better than 3. 

I really liked season 1, but this is the only show of it's caliber I have ever seen where I felt like it only got better and better the deeper you got....with 5 being the exception (still good, just not out of this world good like the previous few).

You have let it breathe. 
    I didn't like season 2. I had no interest in the guys on the dock, especially Ziggy, who is the worst character in the history of television. It did teach me the word "Stevedore" though. My name is Steve and I never heard that term until season two of The Wire, so it was a little educational. I just didn't like how some of the stuff I was invested in from season 1 got put on the backburner to service these new characters I didn't care about. And every Ziggy scene made me cringe and think "I wish I was watching a Stringer Bell scene right now." I cannot stress how awful of a character Ziggy was. Just the fucking worst. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    MayDay10 said:

It is pretty good.  I'm not sure it lives up to the hype I hear about it (yet).  Its still good though.  I get the authenticity needed, but a lot of the time I cant understand what people are saying, whether its the dialect of the people from the projects, or the police talking about procedures and ranks.  Its almost like I need subtitles to walk me through and untangle it all in real time.  

One thing I do like is the characters.  I pretty much like all the characters and feel strongly about their fates.  

20 years though, it hasnt aged too well.  The "Wire" is technology-based and things have come a long way since then!  Also, shows of the 2010s and 2020s have come more tightly-packed than this one.  
    Mr. Mayday....with all due respect, you're in no position to judge the show yet. Season 2 is better than 1. Season 3 is better than 2. Season 4 is better than 3. 

I really liked season 1, but this is the only show of it's caliber I have ever seen where I felt like it only got better and better the deeper you got....with 5 being the exception (still good, just not out of this world good like the previous few).

You have let it breathe. 
    I didn't like season 2. I had no interest in the guys on the dock, especially Ziggy, who is the worst character in the history of television. It did teach me the word "Stevedore" though. My name is Steve and I never heard that term until season two of The Wire, so it was a little educational. I just didn't like how some of the stuff I was invested in from season 1 got put on the backburner to service these new characters I didn't care about. And every Ziggy scene made me cringe and think "I wish I was watching a Stringer Bell scene right now." I cannot stress how awful of a character Ziggy was. Just the fucking worst. 
    I don't get the season 1 hate and I did really like season 2 (though i did stop during season 2 on my frist watch), but very much agree Ziggy is the worst character of all time
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I have two episodes left of We Own This City. Is there a separate thread? The wife and I are enthralled with it. It's fascinating and so depressing at the same time, knowing it's a true story. But it's so well done. 
    I haven't started yet, but am pretty excited to dive in when I can make some time. 
    True story being that Boston sucks? I mean, I've been saying that for nearly 25 years now.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    dankind said:
    I have two episodes left of We Own This City. Is there a separate thread? The wife and I are enthralled with it. It's fascinating and so depressing at the same time, knowing it's a true story. But it's so well done. 
    I haven't started yet, but am pretty excited to dive in when I can make some time. 
    True story being that Boston sucks? I mean, I've been saying that for nearly 25 years now.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  :'(
    MayDay10 said:

You have let it breathe. 
    I don't get the season 1 hate and I did really like season 2 (though i did stop during season 2 on my frist watch), but very much agree Ziggy is the worst character of all time
    Who's hating on season 1? I haven't noticed any posts hating on it, though I am new to this thread and only looked at the last page. 

For me, I loved season 1 and it was a bit of a bummer seeing Barksdale and even Stringer take a bit of a backseat to the dock guys during season 2. Actually, other than hating Ziggy and not caring about the rest of the dock guys, the only thing I really remember from season 2 was D'Angelo getting strangled in jail, while Stringer bangs his girlfriend. Poor D'Angelo. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    MayDay10 said:

You have let it breathe. 
    Who's hating on season 1? I haven't noticed any posts hating on it, though I am new to this thread and only looked at the last page. 

For me, I loved season 1 and it was a bit of a bummer seeing Barksdale and even Stringer take a bit of a backseat to the dock guys during season 2. Actually, other than hating Ziggy and not caring about the rest of the dock guys, the only thing I really remember from season 2 was D'Angelo getting strangled in jail, while Stringer bangs his girlfriend. Poor D'Angelo. 

Give season 2 another go. Ziggy sucks, I think that is universally accepted, but the story is compelling. And the subtleness of learning that The Greek is the one who basically makes the wheels turn in that whole city was pretty cool to see....and then see again a few season's down the road. 

Yeah, I missed the Barksdale crew too, but that is also why I think the show is so great. They had the balls to make their main characters take a backseat for pretty much an entire season so they could tell the story the way they wanted to tell.

But I guess if I watched it in real time when it first aired and didn't realize they'd go back to those guys in season 3, I might feel differently.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    MayDay10 said:

You have let it breathe. 

Give season 2 another go. Ziggy sucks, I think that is universally accepted, but the story is compelling. And the subtleness of learning that The Greek is the one who basically makes the wheels turn in that whole city was pretty cool to see....and then see again a few season's down the road. 

Yeah, I missed the Barksdale crew too, but that is also why I think the show is so great. They had the balls to make their main characters take a backseat for pretty much an entire season so they could tell the story the way they wanted to tell.

But I guess if I watched it in real time when it first aired and didn't realize they'd go back to those guys in season 3, I might feel differently.
    I recall early in S2 wondering WTF was going on & not enjoying it, but as the season progressed, I appreciated it more. 

Felt the same when plotlines shifted to city hall, but they keep it moving / interesting. 

Sounds like we all agree just how much Ziggy sucked though. Every f'ing scene couldn't be over soon enough. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Hahaha.  Ziggy sucks, so hard.
    Still one of the best shows.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    MayDay10 said:

You have let it breathe. 

I’m actually doing a full-rewatch right now on HBO Max. Zipped through season 1 in a few days, took a few weeks to get through season 2 because it was hard to stay interested, and I’m in the middle of season 3 now. 

I agree though that it took balls to present season 2 in the manner they did. Hell, I still remember watching the first episode of season 2 back in the day and thinking for a few minutes that HBO fucked up and was broadcasting the wrong show when The Wire was supposed to be on. 

At least we all seem to agree Ziggy was awful. I really do believe he’s the worst TV character ever. Primarily because he appears on one of the best TV shows ever. You’d expect bad characters like him on bad shows, but not on a show like this. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited June 2022
    Yesterday June 2nd was the 20th anniversary of the premiere of The Wire on HBO. In honor of that I present one of the greatest scenes ever filmed for television (volume down if kids are around)  ...

https://youtu.be/O5JAlmjXN9c

Post edited by Bentleyspop on
    Hope Wire fans check out We Own this City.  Almost a real life version of the show. First two episodes have been great. 
    1 episode left... what a show. 

John Bernthal is great in his role... legit scary. 
    edited March 2023
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Yup.  So good in this, in Bosch, in many other things.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Way too young. Such a shame. 

Really need to give this another rewatch some time soon. Always pick up on new stuff.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Damn...great actor
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Way too young. Such a shame. 

Really need to give this another rewatch some time soon. Always pick up on new stuff.
    I do a rewatch every year and have since it's inception.  I always notice a new thing or 2.
    They never explained his skeletons in the show, right?

But yeah, definitely too young 
    They never explained his skeletons in the show, right?

But yeah, definitely too young 
    They alluded to him taking some money. But never followed up on it.

Burrell: You want to talk about dirt? Have at it. Talk some shit about your Eastern district days. Talk about what was going on back when you was running wild in the DEU.
    Daniels: That's just talk.
    Burrell: Just talk? FBI field reports. You came into a lot of money, quick....
    Daniels: You wanna put my shit in the street? Feel free. But the Eastern had a lot of stories. Mine ain't the only one. A lot of people came through that district.

Daniels worked the Drug Enforcement Unit in the Eastern District, and like most of the characters on the Wire, he's done some dirty stuff himself. In his case, as drug money is an easy target and hard to trace, it was likely that he confiscated some of it himself, enough to afford a fairly lavish lifestyle for a police lieutenant.

Yep yep, that makes sense 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    just saw an ad for amc+ for an older show called Hap and Leonard. 2016-2018

Stars Michael K Williams.

described as darkly comic swamp noir
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Will have to try this show again. I've tried I think 3 times before and couldn't get passed 2 or 3 episodes. I know everyone says you got to give it 4 or 5 and it is worth it. 
    The problem is I get 2 or 3 episodes in, something else comes up that catches my eye instead, and I have to rewatch the same ones again and never get to the "good" ones.
    edited March 2023
    mace1229 said:
    Will have to try this show again. I've tried I think 3 times before and couldn't get passed 2 or 3 episodes. I know everyone says you got to give it 4 or 5 and it is worth it. 
    The problem is I get 2 or 3 episodes in, something else comes up that catches my eye instead, and I have to rewatch the same ones again and never get to the "good" ones.
    I would say give it the entire first season instead of 4-5 episodes. It is incredible television and well worth the investment but does move slower than most other shows. You have to let it breathe. 
    chinese-happy.jpg