Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Ok, this is just straight up funny, lol. Tucker Carlson wants Canadian Bacon, lol.

https://apple.news/Aj0wp1zGXRWCYA_cJoy410g

Ugh. I saw this on facebook, and you should have seen all the numbskull Qs and Trumpers who think that's legitimately a super smart idea that needs to be seriously considered.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited March 2023
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/junos-2023-livestream-1.6777611

topless female protestor with "Save the Greenbelt" written on her back interrupts Avril Lavigne who "swats at her breast" and tells her to "get the fuck off, bitch". 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/junos-2023-livestream-1.6777611

topless female protestor with "Save the Greenbelt" written on her back interrupts Avril Lavigne who "swats at her breast" and tells her to "get the fuck off, bitch". 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AantnQxhZ88
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Ok, this is just straight up funny, lol. Tucker Carlson wants Canadian Bacon, lol.

I have a Canadian friend and he says Canadian bacon is some bullshit made up by Americans.  He's like we eat real bacon not fuckin ham!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:

I have a Canadian friend and he says Canadian bacon is some bullshit made up by Americans.  He's like we eat real bacon not fuckin ham!
    correct. the only time I use "canadian bacon" is on an eggs benedict. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

static111 said:

correct. the only time I use "canadian bacon" is on an eggs benedict. 
    lol. Why would we make up something so stupid?  Like are we afraid to say breakfast ham down here?
    Scio me nihil scire

according to wikipedia, it's because new yorkers needed to tell y'all where it's from:

Why do they call it Canadian bacon?
    Image result for canadian bacon
    "Canadian bacon" or "Canadian-style bacon" is the term commonly used in the United States for a form of back bacon that is cured, smoked and fully cooked, trimmed into cylindrical medallions, and sliced thick. The name was created when this product was first imported from Toronto to New York City.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    delicious on an egg mcmuffin
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    according to wikipedia, it's because new yorkers needed to tell y'all where it's from:

"Canadian bacon" or "Canadian-style bacon" is the term commonly used in the United States for a form of back bacon that is cured, smoked and fully cooked, trimmed into cylindrical medallions, and sliced thick. The name was created when this product was first imported from Toronto to New York City.
    So it is from you flappy headed Canucks!
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:

Yeah, but we just call it back bacon in Canada.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    static111 said:

Yeah, but we just call it back bacon in Canada.
    It looks like ham to me or is there a difference?  I would always joke after Christmas while eating leftover ham that I was having Canadian bacon, as it tastes and looks the same to me.  What is the distinction?
    Scio me nihil scire

it's basically Ham Jr. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it's basically Ham Jr. 
    So just a ham but mini?
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    it's basically Ham Jr. 
    So just a ham but mini?
    yes and no. 

The main thing that separates these breakfast staples is where they come from on a pig: Ham comes from the back legs, specifically the thighs and rear end, while Canadian bacon comes from the back. There are many different types of ham, while there is only one type of Canadian bacon.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

static111 said:
    it's basically Ham Jr. 
    So just a ham but mini?
    yes and no. 

The main thing that separates these breakfast staples is where they come from on a pig: Ham comes from the back legs, specifically the thighs and rear end, while Canadian bacon comes from the back. There are many different types of ham, while there is only one type of Canadian bacon.
    Lol and you were gonna give up on this place!  
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    static111 said:
    it's basically Ham Jr. 
    So just a ham but mini?
    yes and no. 

I give up on it every single day. this place to me is like an alcoholic's hangover. But I keep on drinkin'. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

static111 said:
    static111 said:
    it's basically Ham Jr. 
    So just a ham but mini?
    yes and no. 

I give up on it every single day. this place to me is like an alcoholic's hangover. But I keep on drinkin'. 
    Same. I plan on letting my membership lapse in August, but we will see if I can stick to it.
    Scio me nihil scire

• ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    I'm astonished our PM gave this DBag the time of day...  That said... both are mistaken IMO. 

For the record, I'm pro-choice.  That said... I really, really, really hate politicians 'rape' talking points.

To be clear, yes, a woman who is raped should absolutely have the option of abortion. Full stop.  But beyond just that circumstance.. women may want abortions for plenty of reasons. Still.. choice should be hers considering the remarkable amounts of sacrifices, discomfort, pain... list goes on.  

For those who desire the sanctity of life, whether religious beliefs, etc. the Pro-Lifers...  from a policy point of view.. they want to force women to conceive.  Why not take it a few steps further? For example.. if by policy you're going to force a woman  to conceive,  then by policy, you force the biological father to fully support or face prison.  Full stop. Like, the dude is still alive (which is what matters) but he has to go to jail because he was irresponsible. Simple as that. That's strangely absent from these debates I find.  I wonder why. I mean.. personally I think that goes a long way for making sure that not only is the child born, but taken care of.  And.... if perhaps there was a mechanism to make sure the woman was financially secure for a bit, maybe she won't seek out illegal or dangerous abortions.  Just a thought.  For good measure, let's see if we can force the men to not drink or smoke during and after pregnancy. Can we make that a law? We need the men to be responsible as well, so we should do whatever it takes to make that legally so.   Let's see the Pro-Life  talking points then. 

So I don't like Trudeau for making it about rape victims. That's just lazy.  Don't agree at all.  But the ass-hat claiming that women who 'sleep around' should be forced to conceive a child.  Wow.  It takes two to tango asshole. In a just world, this fellow loses his testicles in some sort of accident. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    edited April 2023
    JT held his own well there. In context, it made total sense for him to ask the question about rape victims IMO. The person he was talking to is indeed a total asshole (seems dumb too), but JT absolutely was right in having the conversation with the guy. He shouldn't avoid convos like that.
    It makes me very very uncomfortable to know that any Canadian political party has this shit on their platform though, even if it is unofficial (their official platform is disturbing AF too, omg)... Fucking PPC. So American.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Parksy said:
    I'm astonished our PM gave this DBag the time of day...  That said... both are mistaken IMO. 

For the record, I'm pro-choice.  That said... I really, really, really hate politicians 'rape' talking points.

To be clear, yes, a woman who is raped should absolutely have the option of abortion. Full stop.  But beyond just that circumstance.. women may want abortions for plenty of reasons. Still.. choice should be hers considering the remarkable amounts of sacrifices, discomfort, pain... list goes on.  

For those who desire the sanctity of life, whether religious beliefs, etc. the Pro-Lifers...  from a policy point of view.. they want to force women to conceive.  Why not take it a few steps further? For example.. if by policy you're going to force a woman  to conceive,  then by policy, you force the biological father to fully support or face prison.  Full stop. Like, the dude is still alive (which is what matters) but he has to go to jail because he was irresponsible. Simple as that. That's strangely absent from these debates I find.  I wonder why. I mean.. personally I think that goes a long way for making sure that not only is the child born, but taken care of.  And.... if perhaps there was a mechanism to make sure the woman was financially secure for a bit, maybe she won't seek out illegal or dangerous abortions.  Just a thought.  For good measure, let's see if we can force the men to not drink or smoke during and after pregnancy. Can we make that a law? We need the men to be responsible as well, so we should do whatever it takes to make that legally so.   Let's see the Pro-Life  talking points then. 

So I don't like Trudeau for making it about rape victims. That's just lazy.  Don't agree at all.  But the ass-hat claiming that women who 'sleep around' should be forced to conceive a child.  Wow.  It takes two to tango asshole. In a just world, this fellow loses his testicles in some sort of accident. 
    I think he was right in bringing rape into it. he's not going to make any headway asking "well, what if she made a mistake and wants to go to school?". a guy like that is just going to answer the same every time "then she should have kept her legs together". he has to hit them in the ethics of something they understand; someone being victim of sin. that's where you start the "stance wobble". 

your ideas of mandating the men to be responsible in various scenarios isn't addressed because you can't give the idea that "ok, we'll consider that, if you consider this". women's autonomy shouldn't be negotiable. if you start negotiating that, you lend credence to the that a woman's freedom has a price. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Parksy said:

I think he was right in bringing rape into it. he's not going to make any headway asking "well, what if she made a mistake and wants to go to school?". a guy like that is just going to answer the same every time "then she should have kept her legs together". he has to hit them in the ethics of something they understand; someone being victim of sin. that's where you start the "stance wobble". 

your ideas of mandating the men to be responsible in various scenarios isn't addressed because you can't give the idea that "ok, we'll consider that, if you consider this". women's autonomy shouldn't be negotiable. if you start negotiating that, you lend credence to the that a woman's freedom has a price. 
    I agree.  Point I guess I'm trying to make is that those who want anti abortion laws... generally have little to no consideration for women. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    edited April 2023
    It was interesting reading how as soon as Trudeau learned this man identifies as Christian he asks if the man supports the Muslim community, if that’s not an attempt at baiting the guy, I don’t know what is, lol.

Unfortunately I’ll probably be stepping into it with this statement, but regarding consequences for “irresponsible” men, the only way that conversation can occur is if we start to entertain men’s rights in regards to continuing the pregnancy, something that (for me at least) is an absolute non-starter.

Also, I don’t believe in banning abortion but wouldn’t really have a problem with some degree of regulation.

Edit: I realized I should have said further regulation since surely the practice is already regulated so as to be medically safe.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    It was interesting reading how as soon as Trudeau learned this man identifies as Christian he asks if the man supports the Muslim community, if that’s not an attempt at baiting the guy, I don’t know what is, lol.

Unfortunately I’ll probably be stepping into it with this statement, but regarding consequences for “irresponsible” men, the only way that conversation can occur is if we start to entertain men’s rights in regards to continuing the pregnancy, something that (for me at least) is an absolute non-starter.

Also, I don’t believe in banning abortion but wouldn’t really have a problem with some degree of regulation.

Edit: I realized I should have said further regulation since surely the practice is already regulated so as to be medically safe.
    the point of the "muslim question" was to ask if all he's concerned with was christian ideology, or all religions. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited April 2023

the point of the "muslim question" was to ask if all he's concerned with was christian ideology, or all religions. 
    Despite my desire to keep Trudeau away from my eyes and ears these days (outside of written articles) I just watched the clip you posted and I apologize but you will never convince me that was anything other than an attempt to delegitimise the young man instead of some pleasant(?) attempt to find common ground with him. Justin Trudeau: “Ok, so mostly Christian, so you don’t think we should be supporting Muslims?”

And I’d be curious to know if Trudeau’s ever put that particular question (albeit modified) to anyone of a non-Christian faith?

Edited to get the quote 100% accurate. I guess I should give him credit for saying “we”.

Edited again to actually get it right this time and despite his use of “we”, did he label Christians as hateful or something? He didn’t ask the man’s denomination, good Catholic that Justin is.
    Thankfully having finally gotten the quote right I won’t need to watch the video again, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

edited April 2023
    Trudeau is a practicing Catholic, so I definitely don't think he can be accused of being anti-Christian. In fact, while he is pro-choice, he is personally not in favour of abortion. He just believes the issue has absolutely no place in politics, and that is absolutely right. Also, he was perfectly pleasant while debating with the guy IMO. Fwiw, finding common ground is not a requirement when there isn't any.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Trudeau is a practicing Catholic, so I definitely don't think he can be accused of being anti-Christian. In fact, while he is pro-choice, he is personally not in favour of abortion. He just believes the issue has absolutely no place in politics, and that is absolutely right. Also, he was perfectly pleasant while debating with the guy IMO. Fwiw, finding common ground is not a requirement when there isn't any.
    The practicing Catholic that claims to know better than the Pope (and by inference, God). I wonder which church in Montana he observed Easter at?

I’m honestly not convinced this video isn’t a staged job (not necessarily with Trudeau’s knowledge). The young man seems to tick every single box that might draw objections from Trudeau, even feeding him fodder.

Finding common ground is never a bad thing to attempt, in my opinion. Otherwise one side had better start packing for the other side’s reeducation camps (currently I acknowledge I’d be packing for Progressive Camp).

Sorry, Catholics can't travel at Easter?? And he diesn't claim to know better than the Pope at all actually. He just believes inbthe separation of Church and State. Honestly, I understand that you hate Trudeau, but you are REALLY stretching it here.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sorry, Catholics can't travel at Easter?? And he diesn't claim to know better than the Pope at all actually. He just believes inbthe separation of Church and State. Honestly, I understand that you hate Trudeau, but you are REALLY stretching it here.
    I didn’t say Catholics can’t travel, that’s just putting words in my mouth which is largely what Trudeau was doing to the young man in Manitoba.

If he doesn’t know better than the Pope then please explain his highly vocal support of carte blanche abortion in spite of his supposed church’s official stance. (His advice that the young man pray on the issue is more than a bit ironic when looked at from that angle.)

You’re right, I now openly hate Trudeau (something I make an effort to own and put my comments in that context), but that doesn’t mean my criticisms aren’t valid. I’ve commented in the past about how this is more of a Conservative-bashing thread than an actual discussion of Canadian politics, and, for me that’s perfectly illustrated by the fact we’re discussing a week-old video of Trudeau (I’ll be kind here) interacting with a young Conservative as opposed to there having been zero comments about the Chinese government’s efforts to influence our elections.

my wife is catholic (a few of her aunts are nuns). she doesn't go to church. you don't have to go to church to be considered "practicing". 

catholics disagree with the pope all the time. how is that not permitted? is he supposed to blindly support everything one human stands for?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD