America's Gun Violence #2

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    compare mass shootings per 100,000 by country:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/03/24/980838151/gun-violence-deaths-how-the-u-s-compares-to-the-rest-of-the-world

to gun ownership per 100 citizens:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_civilian_guns_per_capita_by_country

the US rates highest, by far, in guns per person (double 2nd place). But rates 32nd in gun deaths per capita. 
    I’ve always thought it was funny, one of the biggest factors is the elephant in the room we’re not allowed to discuss.
    it’s the minority/poverty communities that have a ridiculous rate of gun homicides. Blacks make up about 2/3 of gun deaths, while only being about 15% of the population. They are 10 times more likely to die from a gun than a white person. We ignore this, even lash out when people bring up race, then scratch or head why we aren’t improving.
    But we aren’t doing our minority kids any favors. Inner city schools are terrible, kids are failing out and gravitate towards crime. We make more excuses and the cycle gets worse. 
    That’s the main reason we moved over the summer, I couldn’t be a part of it anymore. Working in an all minority school in the inner city, they refused to discipline. Fights would break out in class and they’d just send the kids back because it was racist to discipline a minority student. Literally what I was told by admin.
    So we fail them there, they don’t get an education, get stuck in a community of poverty and have 10 times the rate of gun violence. And we act surprised.
    because people attribute it to race, when it's really class. and most people of lower class happen to be a certain colour because of the oppression by another colour. 

it's the same as indigenous making up so much more of our prison population than they should. Well, yes, that's true, but it's not BECAUSE they are indigenous. It's because they are typically lower class, because of the same reason above. 

uneducated people take that is "those fuckin' indians are savages", like it's because of their heritage rather than what oppression has done to them as a people. 
    Completely agree on that. I also tried to expand and talk about how we are failing them in schools. It is not about color. Its about social-economic status and failing schools that make it harder to break that cycle. Unfortunately, that situation is more common in minorty/black neighborhoods. We can't fix it if we imply racism every time someone brings it up.
    Well I will tell you this, we throw a ton of money towards the schools and still nothing changes unfortunately...

My friend teaches in a charter school and they are encouraged to pass the kids.  Give the kids a free pass.  That sure as hell ain't helping prepare them for what's out there.

Kids in her school are broken.  

I hear very few success stories in the inner cities.  I would love to hear more but it seems that there is no silver bullet to fix it, there is a vicious cycle.  I do believe that something can be done, no one has found the right way yet.
    Absolutely. I've worked in inner city schools in LA and Denver. I've seen some terrible things and I've seen some success. In my experience at the schools I've been at, it came down to accountability. Some schools or districts refuse to discipline or fail minority students. They track numbers and don't want a higher discipline rate or fails for a minority school than they do at the upper-middle class school across town. I've seen fights break out in class where kids just get sent back. Seen kids throw trashcans in the cafeteria, kids throw tables and chairs in class. My wife taught in Brooklyn before we met and she was punched by a kid and the school refused to discipline him. Another kid threw a desk out the window into the street and nothing. Its an environment that is completely impossible to learn in. And like you said, I've been encouraged to pass kids who have rarely even shown up to class. I usually don't, which doesn't make the admin happy. Teachers often get reprimanded if they fail more than 10 out of 150 kids. But thats how we fail our kids. We hold them to a lower standard and they live up to it. 
    My school in south-central LA was really good. It was a small charter school, so the principal had a little more freedom. But it was the same kids. If a kid cussed a teacher, he got suspended. And guess what, we had a 98% graduation rate (it was a little inflated, but still good) and kids actually learned and went on to college.
    On paper these schools think they're doing the right thing by keeping them in school and passing them. But in reality they are failing them, they are not prepared for life, they don't learn and can't break the cycle of poverty. 
    Isn't it all about funding though? I'm convinced that we need to put tons more money toward education.

In this case those students need smaller class sizes and teachers that can directly relate to them. Make them good citizens rather than always rejecting them.

It just seems like your hands are tied.
    Class sizes are a big issue right now. It’s tough teaching chemistry to 35 kids even in a good setting. Throw in a lab with chemicals and Bunsen burners where I’ll be named in a lawsuit if something goes wrong.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    The pay has been the struggle and disappointment for me. I left a school I really enjoyed for 7 years because the pay was terrible and got little to no raises in that time. Moved an hour away to Denver where the pay was better, but the inner city dynamics made the job miserable. And education seems to get the shaft with funding. A couple years ago the board gave themselves giant pat onbthr back for being one of the only districts in the area to not do a pay freeze and get our $2000 raise for the year, while at the same time raising the cost of our benefits by $500 a month. So while they brag to the community about giving raises to teachers, the reality was my paycheck was more than $300 less each month the next year.
    We moved again where I’m really happy at my school, but pay sucks. We can’t even afford custodians. We clean our own classrooms. We only hire a skeleton crew at night that won’t even open the door. If we want our trash emptied we have to bring it to the hallway.
    Staff bathrooms are embarrassing. Usually the trash is overflowing. They are never cleaned. Run out of toilet paper often and aren’t refilled. This is one picture took this picture last week with the intention to bring it to the board or someone. This is the staff bathroom. When I say never cleaned, I mean it’s never been cleaned yet this year. And I seriously doubt it was over the summer either.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    mace1229 said:
    The pay has been the struggle and disappointment for me. I left a school I really enjoyed for 7 years because the pay was terrible and got little to no raises in that time. Moved an hour away to Denver where the pay was better, but the inner city dynamics made the job miserable. And education seems to get the shaft with funding. A couple years ago the board gave themselves giant pat onbthr back for being one of the only districts in the area to not do a pay freeze and get our $2000 raise for the year, while at the same time raising the cost of our benefits by $500 a month. So while they brag to the community about giving raises to teachers, the reality was my paycheck was more than $300 less each month the next year.
    We moved again where I’m really happy at my school, but pay sucks. We can’t even afford custodians. We clean our own classrooms. We only hire a skeleton crew at night that won’t even open the door. If we want our trash emptied we have to bring it to the hallway.
    Staff bathrooms are embarrassing. Usually the trash is overflowing. They are never cleaned. Run out of toilet paper often and aren’t refilled. This is one picture took this picture last week with the intention to bring it to the board or someone. This is the staff bathroom. When I say never cleaned, I mean it’s never been cleaned yet this year. And I seriously doubt it was over the summer either.

Jesus...that's like a bathroom at a Greyhound bus station
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Last I'll comment on this as we should open up a "School" thread?  That would be fun, lol.

If you all know in that building that no one cleans up.  Police yourselves and be like a Gym and clean in and clean out.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,639
    6th mass shooting in California. THIS MONTH 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    nicknyr15 said:
    6th mass shooting in California. THIS MONTH 

People here really like to follow fads.  I guess mowing down one's fellow citizens is now "a thing" here.  What was once known as "Sunny California" is turning into "Bloody California".  Sad and pathetic.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422

'Don’t be numb to this': Battling despair over gun deaths
    By TIM SULLIVAN and CAROLYN THOMPSON
    Today

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Increasingly it feels like America is at war with itself.

In New Orleans, just days into the new year, a 14-year-old girl was shot to death, along with her father and uncle. A few days after, in a Virginia classroom, a 6-year-old boy pulled out a gun and shot his first-grade teacher. That news was eclipsed by a mass shooting at a California dance studio last weekend that left 11 people dead. A day later and a few hundred miles away, a farmworker opened fire in a beachside town, killing seven coworkers. Three more were killed and four wounded in a shooting at a short-term rental home in an an upscale Los Angeles neighborhood early Saturday.

Just keeping track of all the shootings has become overwhelming, with the locations, circumstances and the names of the victims running together into a seemingly endless trail of bloodshed and grief.

And many Americans are deeply pessimistic that anything will soon change. When President Joe Biden signed a bill last year to fight gun violence — the first such measure to pass Congress in a generation — a substantial majority supported it. But 78% said they believed it would do little or nothing at all, a survey by the Pew Research Center found.

The sheer number of killings and the glacial pace of the political response “breeds a sense of powerlessness and despair,” said Pedro Noguera, the dean of the school of education at the University of Southern California and a sociologist who has studied gun violence for more than two decades.

Zeneta Everhart poses for a portrait outside a Tops supermarket in Buffalo, N.Y., on Jan. 27, 2023. (AP Photo/Robert Bumsted)

"I don’t think anybody feels good about where we are at – even gun enthusiasts,” he said.

But if all that might make you think America has gone numb to gun violence, Zeneta Everhart would disagree. Fiercely.

Everhart’s then-19-year-old son, Zaire, was working his part-time job at a Buffalo supermarket last May when a gunman stormed in, looking for Black people to kill. Ten died in the attack. Zaire was shot in the neck but survived.

“I don’t think that the country is becoming numb to it, but I think that the country is frustrated,” she said. “I think that people are tired.”

“You know, we don’t want to hear about this. We don’t want to hear about our children dying by gun violence, and we don’t want to hear about our seniors” who were killed in the California studio attack. “How awful. How heartbreaking.”

If a recent spate of mass shootings makes you think America has gone numb to gun violence, Zeneta Everhart would disagree. Her son was injured in a mass shooting in Buffalo last year, and she has since embarked on a mission to motivate citizens and their political leaders to find solutions to gun violence. (Jan. 28) (AP Video/Robert Bumsted)

But that makes Everhart and others even more determined to find ways to stem the violence.

The month after the supermarket shooting, she and other victims’ relatives went to Washington, D.C., testifying before a House committee about the need for gun safety legislation. Two weeks later, Biden signed the gun violence bill.

That success, and her son’s continuing recovery, keep her energized.

But in a country where attitudes about guns and violence are often contradictory, charting a course of action makes for uneasy calculus.

Overall, 71% of Americans say gun laws should be stricter, according to a 2022 poll by the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy and The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. But in the same poll, 52% said it is also highly important to protect Americans' right to own guns for personal safety.

Last year's gun violence law was designed to incrementally toughen requirements for young people to buy guns, deny firearms to more domestic abusers and help local authorities temporarily take weapons from people judged to be dangerous. Most of its $13 billion cost would go to bolster mental health programs and for schools.

This year, though, the number of shooting deaths are already deeply discouraging.

The nation's first mass shooting last year happened on Jan 23. By the same date this year, the nation had already endured six mass shootings, leaving 39 people dead, according to a database compiled by The Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University. It tracks every attack in the U.S. that has claimed at least four lives, not including the shooter's, since 2006.

Women pause at a memorial at a vigil honoring the victims of a shooting at the Star Ballroom Dance Studio on Monday, Jan. 23, 2023, in Monterey Park, Calif. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis, File)

“Unfortunately, I think we have become immune to it,” said Mark Gius, a professor at Quinnipiac College who studies gun violence and public policy. “It’s become a part of life.”

Fred Guttenberg, whose 14-year-old daughter Jaime was killed when a gunman rampaged through a Parkland, Florida, high school in 2018, knows too well how overwhelming the violence can be.

The immediate instinct to these shootings, he said, is to think “Here we go again.” But it doesn’t end there.

“It’s not that Americans don’t care. It’s that we’ve let it go too far,” he said. “America is paying attention. People are more engaged on this issue than they’ve ever been.”

Family of those killed by a gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, stand with Texas State Sen. Roland Gutierrez during a news conference at the Texas Capitol in Austin, Texas, Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)

For years, he’s been pushing in Congress and Florida for legislation known as “Jaime’s Law,” which would require people buying ammunition to undergo the same background checks required to buy a gun. The bills have stalled repeatedly, but he’s not giving up.

While mass killings like Parkland grab much of the attention, more than half of America’s roughly 45,000 annual firearm deaths are from suicide.

Of gun killings, the vast majority leave only one or two people dead. Many of those deaths get no attention, beyond from the authorities and the people left behind.

“That’s the sad thing,” said USC's Noguera. ”It almost takes being directly impacted to understand how dangerous the situation is right now.”

It has created a situation where even people who detest guns can find themselves wondering if they should buy one.

“It’s understandable,” he said. “People think: If the state can’t protect us, then we must protect ourselves.”

Eight months after the Buffalo supermarket attack, doctors have been unable so far to remove all the bullet fragments lodged inside the body of Everhart's son, some of them dangerously close to vital organs. But his survival motivates her to keeping pushing government for change, and she urges others not to give up fighting when they hear about yet another shooting.

"Don’t be numb to this,” she said. “This should hurt you. You should feel something."

___

Associated Press video journalist Robert Bumsted contributed to this story. Sullivan reported from Minneapolis.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

'Don’t be numb to this': Battling despair over gun deaths
    By TIM SULLIVAN and CAROLYN THOMPSON
    Today

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Increasingly it feels like America is at war with itself.

In New Orleans, just days into the new year, a 14-year-old girl was shot to death, along with her father and uncle. A few days after, in a Virginia classroom, a 6-year-old boy pulled out a gun and shot his first-grade teacher. That news was eclipsed by a mass shooting at a California dance studio last weekend that left 11 people dead. A day later and a few hundred miles away, a farmworker opened fire in a beachside town, killing seven coworkers. Three more were killed and four wounded in a shooting at a short-term rental home in an an upscale Los Angeles neighborhood early Saturday.

Just keeping track of all the shootings has become overwhelming, with the locations, circumstances and the names of the victims running together into a seemingly endless trail of bloodshed and grief.

And many Americans are deeply pessimistic that anything will soon change. When President Joe Biden signed a bill last year to fight gun violence — the first such measure to pass Congress in a generation — a substantial majority supported it. But 78% said they believed it would do little or nothing at all, a survey by the Pew Research Center found.

The sheer number of killings and the glacial pace of the political response “breeds a sense of powerlessness and despair,” said Pedro Noguera, the dean of the school of education at the University of Southern California and a sociologist who has studied gun violence for more than two decades.

Zeneta Everhart poses for a portrait outside a Tops supermarket in Buffalo, N.Y., on Jan. 27, 2023. (AP Photo/Robert Bumsted)

"I don’t think anybody feels good about where we are at – even gun enthusiasts,” he said.

But if all that might make you think America has gone numb to gun violence, Zeneta Everhart would disagree. Fiercely.

Everhart’s then-19-year-old son, Zaire, was working his part-time job at a Buffalo supermarket last May when a gunman stormed in, looking for Black people to kill. Ten died in the attack. Zaire was shot in the neck but survived.

“I don’t think that the country is becoming numb to it, but I think that the country is frustrated,” she said. “I think that people are tired.”

“You know, we don’t want to hear about this. We don’t want to hear about our children dying by gun violence, and we don’t want to hear about our seniors” who were killed in the California studio attack. “How awful. How heartbreaking.”

If a recent spate of mass shootings makes you think America has gone numb to gun violence, Zeneta Everhart would disagree. Her son was injured in a mass shooting in Buffalo last year, and she has since embarked on a mission to motivate citizens and their political leaders to find solutions to gun violence. (Jan. 28) (AP Video/Robert Bumsted)

But that makes Everhart and others even more determined to find ways to stem the violence.

The month after the supermarket shooting, she and other victims’ relatives went to Washington, D.C., testifying before a House committee about the need for gun safety legislation. Two weeks later, Biden signed the gun violence bill.

That success, and her son’s continuing recovery, keep her energized.

But in a country where attitudes about guns and violence are often contradictory, charting a course of action makes for uneasy calculus.

Overall, 71% of Americans say gun laws should be stricter, according to a 2022 poll by the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy and The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. But in the same poll, 52% said it is also highly important to protect Americans' right to own guns for personal safety.

Last year's gun violence law was designed to incrementally toughen requirements for young people to buy guns, deny firearms to more domestic abusers and help local authorities temporarily take weapons from people judged to be dangerous. Most of its $13 billion cost would go to bolster mental health programs and for schools.

This year, though, the number of shooting deaths are already deeply discouraging.

The nation's first mass shooting last year happened on Jan 23. By the same date this year, the nation had already endured six mass shootings, leaving 39 people dead, according to a database compiled by The Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University. It tracks every attack in the U.S. that has claimed at least four lives, not including the shooter's, since 2006.

Women pause at a memorial at a vigil honoring the victims of a shooting at the Star Ballroom Dance Studio on Monday, Jan. 23, 2023, in Monterey Park, Calif. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis, File)

“Unfortunately, I think we have become immune to it,” said Mark Gius, a professor at Quinnipiac College who studies gun violence and public policy. “It’s become a part of life.”

Fred Guttenberg, whose 14-year-old daughter Jaime was killed when a gunman rampaged through a Parkland, Florida, high school in 2018, knows too well how overwhelming the violence can be.

The immediate instinct to these shootings, he said, is to think “Here we go again.” But it doesn’t end there.

“It’s not that Americans don’t care. It’s that we’ve let it go too far,” he said. “America is paying attention. People are more engaged on this issue than they’ve ever been.”

Family of those killed by a gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, stand with Texas State Sen. Roland Gutierrez during a news conference at the Texas Capitol in Austin, Texas, Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2023. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)

For years, he’s been pushing in Congress and Florida for legislation known as “Jaime’s Law,” which would require people buying ammunition to undergo the same background checks required to buy a gun. The bills have stalled repeatedly, but he’s not giving up.

While mass killings like Parkland grab much of the attention, more than half of America’s roughly 45,000 annual firearm deaths are from suicide.

Of gun killings, the vast majority leave only one or two people dead. Many of those deaths get no attention, beyond from the authorities and the people left behind.

“That’s the sad thing,” said USC's Noguera. ”It almost takes being directly impacted to understand how dangerous the situation is right now.”

It has created a situation where even people who detest guns can find themselves wondering if they should buy one.

“It’s understandable,” he said. “People think: If the state can’t protect us, then we must protect ourselves.”

Eight months after the Buffalo supermarket attack, doctors have been unable so far to remove all the bullet fragments lodged inside the body of Everhart's son, some of them dangerously close to vital organs. But his survival motivates her to keeping pushing government for change, and she urges others not to give up fighting when they hear about yet another shooting.

"Don’t be numb to this,” she said. “This should hurt you. You should feel something."

___

Associated Press video journalist Robert Bumsted contributed to this story. Sullivan reported from Minneapolis.

An interesting article but I don't agree that the mass shooting are mostly about being at war with ourself as a nation.   Wars happen because groups fight over resources or boundaries or differing religions.  It seems to me our shootings are more a result of either mental health issues or general anger and that other than gang shootings (yes, a type of war)- so many are random.  When someone shoots up a bar, they don't just shoot at a certain races or religious persons.  Too much of this is mental health related to say it is all about how we are at war with ourself as a nation. 

Off topic question for all here:  Do you consider "ourself" to be a legitimate word? My computer red-lines it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    edited January 2023
    "Ourselves". I think it has to be plural since there is no singular.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Meh, only 10 wounded. Surprised it’s even being reported.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/30/us/lakeland-florida-mass-shooting/index.html
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited January 2023
    dudeman said:
    "Ourselves". I think it has to be plural since there is no singular.

Freakin' English language!  :lol:

First sweeping federal gun crime report in 20 years released
    By LINDSAY WHITEHURST
    17 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The most expansive federal report in over two decades on guns and crime shows a shrinking turnaround between the time a gun was purchased and when it was recovered from a crime scene, indicating firearms bought legally are more quickly being used in crimes around the country.

It also documents a spike in the use of conversion devices that make a semiautomatic gun fire like a machine gun, along with the growing seizure of so-called ghost guns, privately made firearms that are hard to trace.

The report comes as the nation grapples with a rise in violent crime, particularly from guns.

Much of the data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives report hasn’t been widely available before, and its release is aimed at helping police and policy makers reduce gun violence, said Director Steve Dettelbach. “Information is power,” he said.

The report shows 54% of guns that police recovered in crime scenes in 2021 had been purchased within three years, a double-digit increase since 2019. The quicker turnaround can indicate illegal gun trafficking or a straw purchase — when someone who can legally purchase a gun buys one to sell it to someone who can’t legally poses guns. The increase was driven largely by guns bought less than a year before, it said.

The number of new guns overall in the U.S. grew significantly during that time as gun sales shattered records during the coronavirus pandemic.

Most guns used in crimes changed hands since their purchase, the report states. It also found what Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco called an epidemic of stolen guns: more than 1.07 million firearms were reported stolen between 2017 and 2021. Almost all of those, 96%, were from private individuals.

Meanwhile, the report also documents a more than five-fold increase in the number of devices that convert a legal semi-automatic weapon into an illegal fully automatic one. Between 2012 and 2016, the ATF retrieved 814 of those, but that number jumped to 5,414 during the five-year period documented in the report.

A conversion device was used in a mass shooting that left six people dead and 12 wounded in Sacramento last April in what officers described as a shootout between rival gangs.

The document also traces the rise of “ ghost guns,” privately made firearms without serial numbers that have increasingly been turning up at crime scenes around the nation.

The ATF traced more than 19,000 privately made firearms in 2021, more than double the year before. That jump is the result in part of the agency encouraging police to send it the weapons so they can be traced, even though they typically haven’t yielded as much information as typical firearms. The weapons do have unique ballistics and other characteristics that can be useful to investigators.

The report came after Attorney General Merrick Garland told the ATF to produce the first comprehensive study of criminal gun trafficking in more than 20 years.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Armed man shot inside Target got rifle 4 days earlier
    By HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH
    26 mins ago

The man who was fatally shot by police after entering a Target store in Omaha, Nebraska, armed with an AR-15-style rifle had obtained the weapon just four days earlier at a Cabela’s sporting goods store, police said Wednesday. No one else was hurt.

Court records show that the man, identified by police as Joseph Jones, 32, of suburban Omaha, had no prior felony convictions in Douglas County, where Omaha is located.

He entered the store around noon Tuesday, where police said he fired several rounds, sending shoppers and workers scrambling for exits and cowering in bathroom stalls. Along with the rifle, he had 13 loaded rifle magazines of ammunition.

Jones’ uncle, Larry Derksen Jr., said his nephew had schizophrenia and that his mental illness left him isolated.

“My nephew went into Target. I believe he had no intention of hurting anybody. He fired off a bunch of rounds,” Derksen told KETV-TV. “He had an AR-15 before law enforcement got there. If he had any intention of killing anybody he would have. He would have had time to do so.”

Callers flooded 911 dispatchers with around 30 calls for help, and Omaha police officers and a Nebraska State Trooper rushed to the scene. They quickly encountered Jones and ordered him to drop the rifle.

Police said Officer Brian Vanderheiden, a 20-year veteran of the city's police force, then fired, striking and killing Jones. The release said Vanderheiden was placed on paid administrative leave per department policy.

Officers searched the store three times before declaring the scene safe, according to police. Through the investigation, officers located bullet casings inside the store.

Cabela's didn't immediately respond to emails from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Several other shootings have taken place at stores across the country in recent months, at a time when mass shootings have commanded public attention on a disturbingly frequent basis.

In January, one woman was injured in a shooting at a Walmart store in Evansville, Indiana. Police said it could have been much worse if not for heroic actions by an employee and police. Officers arrived within minutes and fatally shot the gunman. A Walmart manager in Chesapeake, Virginia, killed six people in November when he began shooting wildly inside a break room. Six others were wounded. The gunman shot and killed himself before officers arrived.

In Buffalo, New York, an 18-year-old fatally shot 10 people and injured three others last May, after seeking out a grocery store in a predominately Black neighborhood. Authorities immediately called it a hate crime.

The Omaha shooting came just over 15 years after the deadly December 2007 shooting at an Omaha Von Maur department store, when a 19-year-old gunman killed eight people and himself.

• mickeyrat said:

First sweeping federal gun crime report in 20 years released
    By LINDSAY WHITEHURST
    17 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The most expansive federal report in over two decades on guns and crime shows a shrinking turnaround between the time a gun was purchased and when it was recovered from a crime scene, indicating firearms bought legally are more quickly being used in crimes around the country.

It also documents a spike in the use of conversion devices that make a semiautomatic gun fire like a machine gun, along with the growing seizure of so-called ghost guns, privately made firearms that are hard to trace.

The report comes as the nation grapples with a rise in violent crime, particularly from guns.

Much of the data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives report hasn’t been widely available before, and its release is aimed at helping police and policy makers reduce gun violence, said Director Steve Dettelbach. “Information is power,” he said.

The report shows 54% of guns that police recovered in crime scenes in 2021 had been purchased within three years, a double-digit increase since 2019. The quicker turnaround can indicate illegal gun trafficking or a straw purchase — when someone who can legally purchase a gun buys one to sell it to someone who can’t legally poses guns. The increase was driven largely by guns bought less than a year before, it said.

The number of new guns overall in the U.S. grew significantly during that time as gun sales shattered records during the coronavirus pandemic.

Most guns used in crimes changed hands since their purchase, the report states. It also found what Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco called an epidemic of stolen guns: more than 1.07 million firearms were reported stolen between 2017 and 2021. Almost all of those, 96%, were from private individuals.

Meanwhile, the report also documents a more than five-fold increase in the number of devices that convert a legal semi-automatic weapon into an illegal fully automatic one. Between 2012 and 2016, the ATF retrieved 814 of those, but that number jumped to 5,414 during the five-year period documented in the report.

A conversion device was used in a mass shooting that left six people dead and 12 wounded in Sacramento last April in what officers described as a shootout between rival gangs.

The document also traces the rise of “ ghost guns,” privately made firearms without serial numbers that have increasingly been turning up at crime scenes around the nation.

The ATF traced more than 19,000 privately made firearms in 2021, more than double the year before. That jump is the result in part of the agency encouraging police to send it the weapons so they can be traced, even though they typically haven’t yielded as much information as typical firearms. The weapons do have unique ballistics and other characteristics that can be useful to investigators.

The report came after Attorney General Merrick Garland told the ATF to produce the first comprehensive study of criminal gun trafficking in more than 20 years.

Wow, look at all those "responsible" gun owners, never mind the "responsible" gun industry executives that know this happens. Any comment from the NRA or have they moved on to Ukraine?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    suppose this fits here.....

Federal judge allows lawsuit against Rittenhouse to proceed
    By SCOTT BAUER
    8 mins ago

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A federal judge in Wisconsin on Wednesday ruled that a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the father of a man shot and killed by Kyle Rittenhouse during a protest in 2020 can proceed against Rittenhouse, police officers and others.

The father of Anthony Huber, one of two men shot and killed by Rittenhouse, filed the lawsuit in 2021, accusing officers of allowing for a dangerous situation that violated his son's constitutional rights and resulted in his death. Anthony Huber's father, John Huber, also alleged that Rittenhouse, who was 17 at the time of the shootings, conspired with law enforcement to cause harm to protestors. John Huber is seeking unspecified damages from city officials, officers and Rittenhouse.

U.S. District Judge Lynn Adelman on Wednesday dismissed motions filed by Rittenhouse and the government defendants seeking to dismiss the civil rights lawsuit.

In allowing the case against Rittenhouse and the others to proceed, the judge said that Anthony Huber's death “could plausibly be regarded as having been proximately caused by the actions of the governmental defendants.”

Rittenhouse had argued that the case against him should be dismissed because he wasn’t properly served with the lawsuit. Adelman dismissed that, saying that Rittenhouse “is almost certainly evading service.”

Attorneys and private investigators for John Huber spent over 100 hours trying to locate Rittenhouse, tracking down addresses in seven states, before they found the home of his mother and sister in Florida. The lawsuit was served on Rittenhouse’s sister, who said that he wasn’t home. Adelman said that was sufficient to qualify as being served.

“Rittenhouse has been deliberately cagey about his whereabouts,” Adelman wrote. “Although he denies living in Florida, he does not identify the place that he deems to be his residence.”

Rittenhouse's attorneys did not immediately respond to emailed requests for comment. Attorneys for law enforcement and Kenosha officials sued also did not immediately return emailed messages.

The ruling puts Anthony Huber's family "one step closer to justice for their son’s needless death,” said Anand Swaminathan, one of the attorneys for John Huber and Karen Bloom, parents of Anthony Huber.

“The Kenosha officials that created a powder keg situation by their actions tried to claim that they cannot be held accountable for their unconstitutional conduct; that argument was soundly rejected today," Swaminathan said in a statement.

Rittenhouse was charged with homicide, attempted homicide and reckless endangering for killing Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum and wounding a third person with an AR-style semi-automatic rifle in the summer of 2020 during a tumultuous night of protests over the shooting of a Black man, Jacob Blake, by a white Kenosha police officer.

Rittenhouse was acquitted of all charges in November 2021 after testifying he acted in self-defense. Rittenhouse’s actions became a flashpoint in the debate over guns, vigilantism and racial injustice in the U.S.

Rittenhouse went to Kenosha from his home in nearby Antioch, Illinois, after businesses were ransacked and burned in the nights that followed Blake’s shooting. He joined other armed civilians on the streets, carrying a weapon authorities said was illegally purchased for him because he was underage.

Rittenhouse first killed Rosenbaum, 36, in the parking lot of an auto dealership and as Rittenhouse ran from the scene he stumbled and fell. Anthony Huber, 26, struck Rittenhouse with his skateboard and tried to disarm him. Rittenhouse fell to the ground and shot Anthony Huber to death and wounded demonstrator Gaige Grosskreutz, 27.

This case is one of several ongoing civil lawsuits filed in the wake of the shootings. Grosskreutz last year filed a similar lawsuit against Rittenhouse.

Rittenhouse has maintained a high public profile, particularly on social media, where he is an outspoken advocate for gun rights. He has nearly 1 million followers on Twitter and has spoken at conservative gatherings.

• mickeyrat said:
    suppose this fits here.....

Federal judge allows lawsuit against Rittenhouse to proceed
    By SCOTT BAUER
    8 mins ago

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A federal judge in Wisconsin on Wednesday ruled that a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the father of a man shot and killed by Kyle Rittenhouse during a protest in 2020 can proceed against Rittenhouse, police officers and others.

The father of Anthony Huber, one of two men shot and killed by Rittenhouse, filed the lawsuit in 2021, accusing officers of allowing for a dangerous situation that violated his son's constitutional rights and resulted in his death. Anthony Huber's father, John Huber, also alleged that Rittenhouse, who was 17 at the time of the shootings, conspired with law enforcement to cause harm to protestors. John Huber is seeking unspecified damages from city officials, officers and Rittenhouse.

U.S. District Judge Lynn Adelman on Wednesday dismissed motions filed by Rittenhouse and the government defendants seeking to dismiss the civil rights lawsuit.

In allowing the case against Rittenhouse and the others to proceed, the judge said that Anthony Huber's death “could plausibly be regarded as having been proximately caused by the actions of the governmental defendants.”

Rittenhouse had argued that the case against him should be dismissed because he wasn’t properly served with the lawsuit. Adelman dismissed that, saying that Rittenhouse “is almost certainly evading service.”

Attorneys and private investigators for John Huber spent over 100 hours trying to locate Rittenhouse, tracking down addresses in seven states, before they found the home of his mother and sister in Florida. The lawsuit was served on Rittenhouse’s sister, who said that he wasn’t home. Adelman said that was sufficient to qualify as being served.

“Rittenhouse has been deliberately cagey about his whereabouts,” Adelman wrote. “Although he denies living in Florida, he does not identify the place that he deems to be his residence.”

Rittenhouse's attorneys did not immediately respond to emailed requests for comment. Attorneys for law enforcement and Kenosha officials sued also did not immediately return emailed messages.

The ruling puts Anthony Huber's family "one step closer to justice for their son’s needless death,” said Anand Swaminathan, one of the attorneys for John Huber and Karen Bloom, parents of Anthony Huber.

“The Kenosha officials that created a powder keg situation by their actions tried to claim that they cannot be held accountable for their unconstitutional conduct; that argument was soundly rejected today," Swaminathan said in a statement.

Rittenhouse was charged with homicide, attempted homicide and reckless endangering for killing Anthony Huber and Joseph Rosenbaum and wounding a third person with an AR-style semi-automatic rifle in the summer of 2020 during a tumultuous night of protests over the shooting of a Black man, Jacob Blake, by a white Kenosha police officer.

Rittenhouse was acquitted of all charges in November 2021 after testifying he acted in self-defense. Rittenhouse’s actions became a flashpoint in the debate over guns, vigilantism and racial injustice in the U.S.

Rittenhouse went to Kenosha from his home in nearby Antioch, Illinois, after businesses were ransacked and burned in the nights that followed Blake’s shooting. He joined other armed civilians on the streets, carrying a weapon authorities said was illegally purchased for him because he was underage.

Rittenhouse first killed Rosenbaum, 36, in the parking lot of an auto dealership and as Rittenhouse ran from the scene he stumbled and fell. Anthony Huber, 26, struck Rittenhouse with his skateboard and tried to disarm him. Rittenhouse fell to the ground and shot Anthony Huber to death and wounded demonstrator Gaige Grosskreutz, 27.

This case is one of several ongoing civil lawsuits filed in the wake of the shootings. Grosskreutz last year filed a similar lawsuit against Rittenhouse.

Rittenhouse has maintained a high public profile, particularly on social media, where he is an outspoken advocate for gun rights. He has nearly 1 million followers on Twitter and has spoken at conservative gatherings.

Isn't he working for Maggie Three Names or Matt Getts Off yet?

Brilliantati©

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited February 2023
    It all makes perfect sense if you accept that as a party they are pro-gun violence. Mass shootings are good for what the GOP is selling, 
    It's so bizarre

• It's so bizarre
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dead Americans don't matter to the GOP. It's all about that sweet sweet money from the NRA. 
  • 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©

Brilliantati©
  • Another “responsible” gun owner and after 18 months, no accountability for the “responsible” gun owner. Yee haw!

https://apple.news/A0xUDUYIIQACB11c5f8v6Yg

Brilliantati©
  • Good lord, what could possibly go wrong? Way to prioritize, Missouri.

Missouri Republicans block proposed ban on kids carrying guns in public

The Republican-controlled Missouri House of Representatives rejected a proposal Wednesday that would have banned children from being able to openly carry firearms on public land without adult supervision.

The proposal, which was part of a long debate in the chamber on how to fight crime in St. Louis, was soundly defeated by a vote of 104-39, with just one Republican voting in support of the ban. After the amendment on the open-carry restrictions for minors was initially supported by the Republican legislator sponsoring a broader crime bill, GOP lawmakers on a committee that he leads removed the firearms provision last week.

“Every time we talked about the provision related to guns, we knew that was going to be difficult on our side of the aisle,” state Rep. Lane Roberts (R) said Wednesday, according to the Associated Press.

“Kids carrying guns on the street or in a park is a matter of individual freedom and personal responsibility. Kids seeing a drag queen read a children’s book or sing a song is a danger the government must ban,” wrote Merideth, who represents St. Louis. “Do I have that right MO GOP?”

Jessica Piper, a political podcast host and former Democratic candidate for the Missouri House, summed up her reaction to children being allowed to openly carry guns in public places without adult supervision: “Another day in Missouri.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/02/09/missouri-gop-children-guns-open-carry/

Brilliantati©
  • From the congress woman who claims that ‘Murica owning 46% of the firearms in the world isn’t enough and that we need to up our game.

Brilliantati©

3 people fatally shot, 5 hurt at Michigan State University
    By JOEY CAPPELLETTI and KEN KUSMER
    9 mins ago

EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Police say three people have been killed in shootings at Michigan State University.

The deaths are in addition to five people who were injured in the Monday night shootings, campus police said.

Meanwhile, the search for the gunman continued. He's described as a short man with red shoes, a jean jacket and ball cap.

The shootings began shortly before 8:30 p.m. at Berkey Hall, an academic building, and also ocurred nearby at the student union, a popular gathering spot, said Chris Rozman, interim deputy chief of the campus police department.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.

EAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — At least five people were shot Monday night at Michigan State University, some suffering life-threatening injuries, leading hundreds of officers to sweep the campus in search of the gunman, who remained at large, police said.

Students were ordered to shelter in place for hours at the East Lansing campus, about 90 miles (145 kilometers) northwest of Detroit.

The shootings began shortly before 8:30 p.m. at Berkey Hall, an academic building, and also ocurred nearby at the student union, a popular gathering spot, said Chris Rozman, interim deputy chief of the campus police department.

He described the suspect as a short man with red shoes, a jean jacket and ball cap.

Rozman said hundreds of officers from different agencies were on campus. He urged parents to stay away.

“I can only imagine the emotion that's involved right now. ... We are doing everything we can to ensure the safety of our campus and all of our students," Rozman said.

The five victims were taken to Sparrow Hospital, said hospital spokesperson John Foren, who had no information on their conditions.

By 10:15 p.m., police said Berkey, as well as nearby residence halls, were secured.

Separately, police on Twitter reported a shooting at IM East, a recreational center for students. But Rozman didn't mention it during a news briefing and said there had been false reports of additional shootings.

Aedan Kelley, a junior who lives a half-mile (less than a kilometer) east of campus, said he locked his doors and covered his windows “just in case.” Sirens were constant, he said, and a helicopter hovered overhead.

"It’s all very frightening," Kelley said. “And then I have all these people texting me wondering if I’m OK, which is overwhelming.”

Michigan State has about 50,000 students. All campus activities were canceled for 48 hours, including athletics and classes.

The East Lansing High School auditorium, where a school board meeting was being held Monday night, was locked down and people were being prevented by police from leaving, the Lansing State Journal reported.

___

Kusmer reported from Indianapolis.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    So we at home should be training on how to act in case of active shootings scenarios no? What to look for in crowds how to get to safe places etc etc etc! Fuck me what a great country 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
This discussion has been closed.