Options

Please Pearl Jam, consider a VINYL Benaroya Hall re-issue!

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,741

• Options

• Options

• Options
    I'll back this!
    Seattle '96, Tampa '00, Jones Beach I '00, Jones Beach II '00, Toronto '00, Penn State '03, MSG I '03, MSG II '03, Holmdel '03, Philadelphia '05, Chicago I '06, ERU I '06, ERU II '06, MSG I '08, MSG II '08, Philadelphia III '09, Newark '10, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Brooklyn '13, Hartford '13, Ft. Lauderdale '16, Miami '16, MSG I '16, MSG II '16, Seattle I '18, Seattle II '18, Fenway I '18
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    Maybe it’s Stone’s fault. Doesn’t want his Thin Air mistake pressed again.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,366
    Maybe it’s Stone’s fault. Doesn’t want his Thin Air mistake pressed again.
    Hahahaha, awesome.
  • Options
    Please reissue this vinyl, this year. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,380
    Please?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:
    Sad to see folks paying $100+ US for those unofficial bootleg vinyl copies. 
     The cd is $15, and that is exactly what you are listening to on the bootleg. 

Pretty much. There is a 24Bit Flac HD rip of the original pressed vinyl being shared. The ones who are released these inferior bootleg vinyl could be using this source then using the CD. 

And even that's a digital file.

(As most people know, the best records are analog all the way into the groove which is the actual sound wave.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

Pretty much. There is a 24Bit Flac HD rip of the original pressed vinyl being shared. The ones who are released these inferior bootleg vinyl could be using this source then using the CD. 

(As most people know, the best records are analog all the way into the groove which is the actual sound wave.)

That's true, but I don't think many records are all analog anymore.   I think many of them get pressed from high res digital source :(
  • Options
    Was hoping the vinyl reissue would be for this April's RSD release. Well, let's hope the 20th Anniversary of the show will be reissued on vinyl this year. Maybe November's Black Friday Record Store Day release?
  • Options

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Zod said:
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

That's true, but I don't think many records are all analog anymore.   I think many of them get pressed from high res digital source :(
    the analog vs digital thing is largely a bit of a farce.  What matters is the source tape used to create the lacquer.  If you have a well mixed highest resolution source tape and a great lacquer cutter you will end up with an excellent sounding record.  If the source material is all analog but a garbage source and mix nothing can make that better. 

The fiasco last summer in which it became clear that Mobile Fidelity Soundlabs was being a bit vague about how they sourced, cut and plated a lot of their releases really should have put an end to a lot of the ps artists who have made claims about being able to tell digital from analog and attempted to wax poetic about the difference.

Analog tapes from records that used them are certainly to a point the best starting point, but MFSL, their being a bit dishonest in their marketing or lack of clarity at best notwithstanding, high resolution DSD files built off of the original source tape is frankly the way to go.  Once you have those you can make infinite runs off the main source.  Purists will scoff, but frankly the hi-res DSD is the master tape permanently archived.   

most of the pearl jam material to a certain point was multi-track ADAT, and has long since advanced to an all digital state. What generally makes pearl jams live recordings sound great is that Brett Eliason and John Burton (others but these two most notably) have been great about how they capture, record and mix the sound.

At the end of the day something like Benaroya Hall, does it sound better on Vinyl vs the CD, I would argue that very few people could tell any difference between a vinyl copy and a CD.  They both sound great.  The vinyl is just fun because it is unique and it is fun to listen to records.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    edited February 2023
    PB11041 said:
    Zod said:
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

the analog vs digital thing is largely a bit of a farce.  What matters is the source tape used to create the lacquer.  If you have a well mixed highest resolution source tape and a great lacquer cutter you will end up with an excellent sounding record.  If the source material is all analog but a garbage source and mix nothing can make that better. 

The fiasco last summer in which it became clear that Mobile Fidelity Soundlabs was being a bit vague about how they sourced, cut and plated a lot of their releases really should have put an end to a lot of the ps artists who have made claims about being able to tell digital from analog and attempted to wax poetic about the difference.

Analog tapes from records that used them are certainly to a point the best starting point, but MFSL, their being a bit dishonest in their marketing or lack of clarity at best notwithstanding, high resolution DSD files built off of the original source tape is frankly the way to go.  Once you have those you can make infinite runs off the main source.  Purists will scoff, but frankly the hi-res DSD is the master tape permanently archived.   

most of the pearl jam material to a certain point was multi-track ADAT, and has long since advanced to an all digital state. What generally makes pearl jams live recordings sound great is that Brett Eliason and John Burton (others but these two most notably) have been great about how they capture, record and mix the sound.

At the end of the day something like Benaroya Hall, does it sound better on Vinyl vs the CD, I would argue that very few people could tell any difference between a vinyl copy and a CD.  They both sound great.  The vinyl is just fun because it is unique and it is fun to listen to records.

Agree. I just always loved it, even as a kid, had Vitalogy and No Code on vinyl before before the CD because it seemed more fun. Youd have to spend a lot of money on speakers and the system to tell the difference in my opinion. I don't think I've ever been able to tell the difference between a CD and vinyl. But I've always preferred the vinyl.
    Its like TVs. They can keep making them better and higher definition and charging more, but at a certain point your eye cant tell the difference.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,380
    Would be awesome
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    Zod said:
    demetrios said:
    demetrios said:

yah, I feel the same way.   Sometimes a really well mixed CD from the 80's or early 90s, can sound infinitely better than a record sourced via modern mixing methods (aka the loudness war).   Sometimes the benefit from an old analog record isn't that it's on vinyl, it's that it was mastered before the loudness war, and sounds more dynamic.

I also find it odd, that now it gets advertised that some records get different mixes than digital.   I don't understand why you wouldn't use the better mix for digital too. It's not like albums in the 80s and early 90s needed two different mixes. .lol.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,156
    I have always thought the sound on CDs is superior to the sound on vinyl records, but I have come to have another reason for feeling this way. I finally got around to setting up all six speakers for my receiver. CDs come through all six speakers and sound like the band is playing in my living room. Records come through only the two speakers in the front. 
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2023
    With two good speakers, a high end turntable, cartridge and decent amp you don’t need anything else but two in the front. 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I have always thought the sound on CDs is superior to the sound on vinyl records, but I have come to have another reason for feeling this way. I finally got around to setting up all six speakers for my receiver. CDs come through all six speakers and sound like the band is playing in my living room. Records come through only the two speakers in the front. 

Can you just switch the receiver settings?  CD's are technically 2 channels as well (they only have a left and right track).  On my receiver I set it to multichannel stereo so it clones the left/right on the front and rear speakers which makes it sound more full in the room.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    demetrios said:
    Was hoping the vinyl reissue would be for this April's RSD release. Well, let's hope the 20th Anniversary of the show will be reissued on vinyl this year. Maybe November's Black Friday Record Store Day release?
    There's no need for it to be part of any RSD nonsense. If you're outside the US, RSD can be an elitist pain in the ass.

A Vault release, on the other hand... B)  
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    BF25394 said:

Can you just switch the receiver settings?  CD's are technically 2 channels as well (they only have a left and right track).  On my receiver I set it to multichannel stereo so it clones the left/right on the front and rear speakers which makes it sound more full in the room.
    That is how it's set up. That's why the CD audio comes through all six speakers. As far as I can tell, there are not separate settings for CD audio (actually played through a Blu-ray player) and the turntable. 
  • Options
    With two good speakers, a high end turntable, cartridge and decent amp you don’t need anything else but two in the front. 
    Before I hooked up the other speakers, the sound of CD audio through the two front speakers was outstanding and superior to audio from records. Now, the six-speaker experience with the CDs is mind-blowing. It's like my whole collection is brand-new. I guess I would want you to have that experience before giving credence to the statement you're making.
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    demetrios said:
    There's no need for it to be part of any RSD nonsense. If you're outside the US, RSD can be an elitist pain in the ass.

A Vault release, on the other hand... B)  

Yeah RSD releases can be a pain in the ass.

A Vault release of Benny would be cool too but with talk on the social medias about there being no more Vault vinyl releases ...

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2023
    BF25394 said:
    Before I hooked up the other speakers, the sound of CD audio through the two front speakers was outstanding and superior to audio from records. Now, the six-speaker experience with the CDs is mind-blowing. It's like my whole collection is brand-new. I guess I would want you to have that experience before giving credence to the statement you're making.
    I’m vinyl all the way. To be honest, doesn’t really matter to me what other people think but there is one simple truth, the equipment matters. 
    My point was, with my set up I close my eyes and they are in the room. NY @ Massey Hall is another example of a mind blowing vinyl listening experience. 

If you prefer the Benny on cd, that’s great. The people on this thread (who don’t own one) want a wax copy. 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Zod said:
    BF25394 said:

That is how it's set up. That's why the CD audio comes through all six speakers. As far as I can tell, there are not separate settings for CD audio (actually played through a Blu-ray player) and the turntable. 

It can depend on the receiver.  Some are setup so that it uses the same settings for the audio format.  So all devices that use analog stereo would have the same settings, DTS digital tracks would have the same settings etc...  Or some receivers have independent settings for every input.  So the settings for the phono input would be different than say the cd input or dvd player.

If the record player is hooked up to phono (or to RCA inputs with an amp), but it's set to multichannel stereo, the record audio should come out of all the speakers.

i think it's a receiver issue, not a record player issue.

I also use a bluray player as my CD player, so the player automatically converts CD audio to multichannel, so it bypassed my receiver setting anyways.
  • Options
    Maybe there should be a spatial audio version of this!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I’m vinyl all the way. To be honest, doesn’t really matter to me what other people think but there is one simple truth, the equipment matters. 
    My point was, with my set up I close my eyes and they are in the room. NY @ Massey Hall is another example of a mind blowing vinyl listening experience. 

If you prefer the Benny on cd, that’s great. The people on this thread (who don’t own one) want a wax copy. 
    The funny thing is that Benaroya Hall is the only Pearl Jam release I don't own on vinyl. I have always bought everything Pearl Jam releases on vinyl as well as CD, but it has never been because of the sound. For Vs. and Vitalogy, it was because of the early release. For everything else, it was to have the artwork at a larger scale.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,031
    Maybe there should be a spatial audio version of this!
    Yes!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    When is the anniversary of the Benny anyways?
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Options
    It looks like the 20th anniversary is this year!