Options

Human population: Is it a problem? If so, what are the solutions?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    I loved this quote:

It amazes me how everyone seems to agree that the planet already has too many people whose demands for even the basics of existence like food, water and shelter are placing intolerable demands on the ecosystem — yet as soon as the population of a country begins to decline, its government reacts with near panic,” Dreyer said.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    yes, I mistyped females. I had males on the brain when typing, with the "everyone wants/needs a boy" social policy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited January 2023
    Even entertaining the idea that there are too many people opens some dark door ways to really scary solutions.  Let's not focus on population. Lets focus on overconsumption, forced consumption planned obsolescence and waste.  Work on getting on a path where humans live with the planet instead of trying foolishly to "master" it.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    static111 said:
    Even entertaining the idea that there are too many people opens some dark door ways to really scary solutions.  Let's not focus on population. Lets focus on overconsumption, forced consumption planned obsolescence and waste.  Work on getting on a path where humans live with the planet instead of trying foolishly to "master" it.

Good points.  This is why I so love the concept of durability.  Unfortunately, most first world economies are based on that which is disposable, not that which is durable.  Is it possible for an economy based on capitalism to transition to the durable?  I really don't know.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    static111 said:
    I think it'd be easier to convince people not to have as many kids so they can live in excess, versus stopping the life of excess so they can continue to procreate. No one is suggesting a choice though, so no change happens (reduction of lives of excess, or of procreation). As a result - our trajectory is still towards the end.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1