• mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Anyone here do a Stylus change on a Project debut carbon?

Why do you want to change the stylus rather than the whole headshell?  Are you really just removing the stylus?
     I never heard it called that.  Learn something new every day. Heard Stylus, Cartridge and needle but never headshell.  I googled it.  Seems pretty easy.
    Yes, now I was reading into something you didn't say so correct me.  Are you switching from one Orto to another?  Those typically came with the red, so that's why I'm asking.  If you are upgrading from red to blue, or just replacing teh red, it should be a very easy swap.  And I think that's limited to the cartridge itself.  If you are going from a Red/Blue to the Orange/Black, then I think you have to change the headshell so it's a little more complex.  
    I was just going to go from red to blue.  If I can hear a distinct difference then i'd do a bigger replacement next.  That I looked up too and it is a bit of more work but one day.  By that time I might upgrade the TT instead.
    Ok all you need is to buy the blue cartridge and replace the red on the existing head shell.  It's two minutes and doesn't require alignment or messing with the azimuth. And once it breaks in,  you should hear an improvement. 
    Aren't the red and blue cartridges the same? Only difference being the stylus?
    Yes but the stylus is in the cart. I'm not sure you can buy the stylus only.  And if you could,  I don't know that you would want to pull out the old and put in the new. The way it's designed,  you just snap out the red and in with the blue. 
    Older record players you actually swapped out the needles.  I don’t think any of the newer ones you do that with.
    Most of the modern MM (moving magnet) cartridges have user replaceable stylus assemblies. 

MC (moving coil) maybe occasionally do but those are typically sent to the manufacturer or a third party for retipping once the stylus wears out. 
    Interesting, I've read on those magnet types.  They are spendy.  Maybe on my next upgrade?
    I think you mean the coil, not magnet.  And yeah they are.  Depending on your setup, you might need a different phono stage.  

I have a Hana SL coil and it sounds awesome.  But it was like $750 so not cheap. 
    My setup can't be upgraded to that if I remember correctly.  
    Well anything can be upgraded.  You would just need to get an external phono stage that supports MC and MM.  You run that into an aux input on your system rather than use the phono input that you probably use now.  
    I believe I have to change up the tone arm if I wanted to switch up.  I don't think the wiring allowed for it?  I'd have to read up on it again.  It was a pain if I were to go that route and easier to just purchase a different TT.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Why do you want to change the stylus rather than the whole headshell?  Are you really just removing the stylus?
     I never heard it called that.  Learn something new every day. Heard Stylus, Cartridge and needle but never headshell.  I googled it.  Seems pretty easy.
    Yes, now I was reading into something you didn't say so correct me.  Are you switching from one Orto to another?  Those typically came with the red, so that's why I'm asking.  If you are upgrading from red to blue, or just replacing teh red, it should be a very easy swap.  And I think that's limited to the cartridge itself.  If you are going from a Red/Blue to the Orange/Black, then I think you have to change the headshell so it's a little more complex.  
    I was just going to go from red to blue.  If I can hear a distinct difference then i'd do a bigger replacement next.  That I looked up too and it is a bit of more work but one day.  By that time I might upgrade the TT instead.
    Ok all you need is to buy the blue cartridge and replace the red on the existing head shell.  It's two minutes and doesn't require alignment or messing with the azimuth. And once it breaks in,  you should hear an improvement. 
    Yes but the stylus is in the cart. I'm not sure you can buy the stylus only.  And if you could,  I don't know that you would want to pull out the old and put in the new. The way it's designed,  you just snap out the red and in with the blue. 
    Older record players you actually swapped out the needles.  I don’t think any of the newer ones you do that with.
    Most of the modern MM (moving magnet) cartridges have user replaceable stylus assemblies. 

MC (moving coil) maybe occasionally do but those are typically sent to the manufacturer or a third party for retipping once the stylus wears out. 
    Interesting, I've read on those magnet types.  They are spendy.  Maybe on my next upgrade?
    I think you mean the coil, not magnet.  And yeah they are.  Depending on your setup, you might need a different phono stage.  

I have a Hana SL coil and it sounds awesome.  But it was like $750 so not cheap. 
    Well anything can be upgraded.  You would just need to get an external phono stage that supports MC and MM.  You run that into an aux input on your system rather than use the phono input that you probably use now.  
    I believe I have to change up the tone arm if I wanted to switch up.  I don't think the wiring allowed for it?  I'd have to read up on it again.  It was a pain if I were to go that route and easier to just purchase a different TT.
    Ah, that could be.  I thought you were saying your pre-amp could not support.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Ah, that could be.  I thought you were saying your pre-amp could not support.  
    No my preamp is in my big amp.  havent gone the external preamp yet.  That is on the future with the tube amps I mentioned a bit back.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I'm going to look at a restored Marantz 2275 today. Hopefully it will be coming home with me!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    I'm going to look at a restored Marantz 2275 today. Hopefully it will be coming home with me!
    Wow! That's a big dog.  Good luck! Send a picture!
    Will do! The seller sent me some pics with the case off. That thing looks brand new inside. Very impressed by the restoration!

edited January 2023
    Holy crap,  that's clean.  Did he recap it and clean the whole thing?  

Just curious,  was that over or under 1500?  I'm curious where the market is. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    edited January 2023
    Yeah, top to bottom. This example would easily sell for $2K in today's market. I see sold listings damn near $3K if they have been restored and have the wood case.

This one has a restored wood case, too.
    dudeman said:
    Yeah, top to bottom. This example would easily sell for $2K in today's market. I see sold listings damn near $3K if they have been restored and have the wood case.

So it came with the vinyl wrapped metal and the wood case?

Did you end up buying it?
  • dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?
  • It's all about them blue gauges!!!
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

So it came with the vinyl wrapped metal and the wood case?

Did you end up buying it?
    I didn't bring it home but I think I might go back for it. Just have to make some room first.

It has the wood case in addition to the metal one.
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?
    People seem to be paying that much for them these days. Five or ten years ago, maybe $800.00 to $1,000.00.

The vintage gear market has gone a little crazy. 
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?
    People seem to be paying that much for them these days. Five or ten years ago, maybe $800.00 to $1,000.00.

That's what I'm wondering,  whether the market has cooled like other hobby markets.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?

That's what I'm wondering,  whether the market has cooled like other hobby markets.  
    The old stuff is cooler to loo at but the newer stuff has to be better, no?

I've read so many damn articles that claim one way or the other.
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?

I guess it just depends on the seller and where you live. I fixed and sold a bunch of Marantz receivers and other vintage gear probably 12 years ago. None of the receivers cost me more than $200.00 back then. One was a 2285b that I sold for $1000. It would be probably twice that right now. 

I would have made a lot more money in today's market. 
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?

I guess it just depends on the seller and where you live. I fixed and sold a bunch of Marantz receivers and other vintage gear probably 12 years ago. None of the receivers cost me more than $200.00 back then. One was a 2285b that I sold for $1000. It would be probably twice that right now. 

I would have made a lot more money in today's market. 
    Do you prefer the B models or the ones from early 70s?  Mine has a production year of 1971. It's crazy that I have a unit older than me,  not recapped,  but sounds great.
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?

Too many variables to empirically say one way or the other. Most consumer grade audio equipment nowadays is designed to be sold at particular price points and is made out of sub-assemblies of components and assembled by machinery. 

Much of the old gear was hand wired using discrete components. While it is true that consistency between electronic components is better today than it was in the 70's, higher end companies took the time to sort and match the parts that were used. 

There is good stuff and there is crap from both eras.
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?

Too many variables to empirically say one way or the other. Most consumer grade audio equipment nowadays is designed to be sold at particular price points and is made out of sub-assemblies of components and assembled by machinery. 

Much of the old gear was hand wired using discrete components. While it is true that consistency between electronic components is better today than it was in the 70's, higher end companies took the time to sort and match the parts that were used. 

Yeah that's dead on.  Further,  they spend a lot of money on the certifications for Dolby, DTX, etc. And they try to cram as much tech into a box and price it at 500-1000. So the compromise is in the amplifier stage,  I think.  

When you get into high end,  I believe modern sounds better.  For me my McIntosh setup or a Luxman I had for a while were much better than my Marantz 2245. But in that 1500 range,  I haven't found anything that is better than the Marantz for sound quality.  In fact,  I demoed that well regarded Cambridge Cx model that's about$1300. No DAC, pure analog and the Marantz was superior.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?

Yeah that's dead on.  Further,  they spend a lot of money on the certifications for Dolby, DTX, etc. And they try to cram as much tech into a box and price it at 500-1000. So the compromise is in the amplifier stage,  I think.  

When you get into high end,  I believe modern sounds better.  For me my McIntosh setup or a Luxman I had for a while were much better than my Marantz 2245. But in that 1500 range,  I haven't found anything that is better than the Marantz for sound quality.  In fact,  I demoed that well regarded Cambridge Cx model that's about$1300. No DAC, pure analog and the Marantz was superior.  
    That's it for me, too. I think you have to spend a lot of money for high end, well designed and built modern gear to get the best performance. Most "average" new stuff is outclassed by restored, good quality vintage stuff. There is definitely new stuff that beats old stuff, it just costs a lot of money.

For the money I'm willing to invest, I gravitate toward the vintage side. Part of it is that I feel some obligation to preserve the old gear for the next people who might appreciate it. I also really love the tactile operations of those balanced tuner dials, mechanical switches and heavy duty, huge pots!

Also, I think there is such a thing as going too far with regard to sound quality. I want my entire music collection to sound good and that is the case for me with my current vintage stereo. I know people with super expensive, very high-end equipment that will reveal every little detail. Those guys struggle with finding music that they want to listen to because so much commercially produced music falls short of their stereo's capabilities. They pretty much play test records, jazz and classical. 

Listening to rock and roll on some of those systems is painful!
  • dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?

That's it for me, too. I think you have to spend a lot of money for high end, well designed and built modern gear to get the best performance. Most "average" new stuff is outclassed by restored, good quality vintage stuff. There is definitely new stuff that beats old stuff, it just costs a lot of money.

For the money I'm willing to invest, I gravitate toward the vintage side. Part of it is that I feel some obligation to preserve the old gear for the next people who might appreciate it. I also really love the tactile operations of those balanced tuner dials, mechanical switches and heavy duty, huge pots!

Also, I think there is such a thing as going too far with regard to sound quality. I want my entire music collection to sound good and that is the case for me with my current vintage stereo. I know people with super expensive, very high-end equipment that will reveal every little detail. Those guys struggle with finding music that they want to listen to because so much commercially produced music falls short of their stereo's capabilities. They pretty much play test records, jazz and classical. 

That last sentence, purists say to put on a good classical or jazz record to hear the sound of your system.
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    Isn't this a 3000 amp?

That last sentence, purists say to put on a good classical or jazz record to hear the sound of your system.
    Jazz is the best, along with some classical.  But dudeman is dead on again.  I have what would be considered an audiophile setup and there are certainly some records and recordings that I just don’t listen to because my system can be too revealing.  Take something like the Avocado record by PJ.  Sounds like total ass on my high end system.  But, by contrast, play Can’t Buy A Thrill by the Dan with the new AP release and the sound is so exquisite.  Or Bach’s Unaccompanied Cello Suites.  So there are downsides for going up the chain other than the price.  And I also like the sweetening inherent in the Marantz sound. 
    Most of the music I listen to is rock and roll in all its various forms and blues.

I have needs that are pretty easily met by stereo equipment. Haha

Also, I'm going to pick that 2275 up on Saturday. The seller says he also has a pair of Marantz Imperial 6 speakers and a Denon turntable that he wants to demo for me.

Should be a good time!
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I totally agree with you guys above! Great discussion! I'm a vintage guy, myself.  Also so true about jazz albums. They sing beautifully on my Pioneer system. But so do all of the audiophile quality pressings. Not pictured, is my second turntable. My trusty Music Hall 2.2 mmf. It's never let me down. But I would like to upgrade in the $1500 range, for a replacement turntable.
    Cheers!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    edited January 2023
    I totally agree with you guys above! Great discussion! I'm a vintage guy, myself.  Also so true about jazz albums. They sing beautifully on my Pioneer system. But so do all of the audiophile quality pressings. Not pictured, is my second turntable. My trusty Music Hall 2.2 mmf. It's never let me down. But I would like to upgrade in the $1500 range, for a replacement turntable.
    Cheers!
    Nice looking vintage system! Is that an SX-1250?
    Cheers!
    Nice system! Vintage Pioneer gear is badass.

One of my biggest gear selling regrets is letting go of a Pioneer PL-55DX turntable that I had restored. It had a speed issue when I got it and it acted like it was going to take off like a helicopter. I replaced the two micro switches and recapped the speed control board. After that, it was one of the most stable and engaging turntables I've heard. Foolishly, I let it go and have not seen another one since.
  • @mookieblalock Did you get the PM8006? I am looking to upgrade to this model and would like to get your opinion. The all-analog nature of this integrated amp is appealing, and I'd like to know how the phono stage sounds with your turntable. It's getting hard to find an integrated amp without all the bells and whistles these days (DACs and streamers that will be outdated tomorrow -- blah). This one looks like a winner to me. Let me know. Thanks.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mrussel1 said:
    Cheers!
    Nice looking vintage system! Is that an SX-1250?
    Actually, it's SX-950.  The turntable is PL-570, the cassette deck is a Pioneer CT-F9191, with Pioneer HPM 60 speakers. All from 1977, purchased from a co-worker about a dozen years ago.  The speakers were found on Craigslist for $80 in near mint condition, around 2012. I paid my co-worker $350 for the bundle.  Unbelievable these days.

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    ^^^ That's incredible! Kind of like winning the lottery nowadays. 

I went to check out that Marantz today. The restored one has some issues. It was really noisy and the right channel kept dropping out. It was also nearly impossible to get the channels balanced when they were both working. (Probably related). Not sure that the person who did the work was entirely honest. I passed on that one but the guy had another 2275 that is still original. It also has the wood case but it has been kind of haphazardly "repaired". One corner on the top rear has been patched with a piece of veneer which is pretty poor match to the original.

Anyway, I ended up bringing that one home. I'll repair/rebuild it myself and hopefully end up with a good example of the model. It was a good enough deal that I should be able to recoup anything that I might put in to it.