Fishing Thread

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,597

first trout if 2023. Friday 13th. Musconetcong River @mcgruff10 Very pretty. The pink stripe went right through the tail. Thought about eating it, but threw it back. I find it hard to kill anything and I'm not that hungry thank god. 
    Post some pics or stories people or they should change thread title to Lou's bragging fish stories.

edited January 2023
    Loujoe said:
    True^^ they are taking down dams everywhere which is great.

I read the book 'on the run' about stripers. Great one.
    How old is it?

I'm curious to read up on someone who has studied them over the years.  Since I moved back to NY in 2012 the laws on catching them has changed 5 or 6 times now.
    followed the run in 2001 but still a great read. Follows from Maine to as far south as they go. Super. Also read another one, surfcasters guide to the striper coast by DJ Muller, lots of stories and some techniques. 

Back prob 30 years ago. I was working delivering stuff in early december. Drove by the Hackensack river in bergen county. Rod in car. Saw the river was high and blowing over a dam I used to fish at behind someone's house (where heroin may or may not have been used & father may or may not of been kept around to steal his social security money). Hospital waste and other junk would fill the river at the right tide. Also loaded with odd fish time to time. Went back to work. Grabbed a kid (future meth cooker/criminal)I worked with to take a few casts. Ultralight rod. Stuck a 3+inch bright florescent plug on. Ripped it through the fast water below that dam...WHAM...pulled in a solid 20+" striper. No camera. Me and the kid stared at it and really couldn't believe ourselves. Threw it back and started bragging to anyone that gave a sh.t. The story still lives. Not sure about the characters in story. I know two moved to a quiet town in Vermont where the crime rate skyrocketed.

All or none of this is true.

Go fish
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Loujoe said:
    first trout if 2023. Friday 13th. Musconetcong River @mcgruff10 Very pretty. The pink stripe went right through the tail. Thought about eating it, but threw it back. I find it hard to kill anything and I'm not that hungry thank god. 
    Post some pics or stories people or they should change thread title to Lou's bragging fish stories.

Nice one.
    I really miss fishing the Northeast streams. When I was home over Thanksgiving I took my fly rod to a little creek near my parents house. Wasn't planning on catching anything, and I didn't, but it was nice being on the water.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Loujoe said:

That is one pretty fish!  Nice work.  I gotta get out and fish, it's been way too long.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wanna get down to the bayous of Louisiana in the next few months.  Been since April and I'm missing it.
    Haven't been out around here in months but my nephew came and got his gear from our garage amd went a few weeks ago.  No bites. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Here are some of my catches.  From a few years back now. But all from lakes or gravel pits.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

• brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Fish on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Nice Rob. What do you the one different fish. I snagged one similar and don't know what it is. Maybe a whitefish?
    what do you get them to bite on? I had one huge carp.in this big river that was taunting me last year. Tried throwing a line in with corn while I was fishing for other stuff.
  • We dont get them here. Ive not seen one of those. 
     Mine are  carp and the odd bream and tench. I had  a big chub i dont think  i posted. Had a nightmare  trying to upload in any order. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Normally bream are unwanted and a slimey annoyance. I use either bread  corn or chick peas are good soaked over night. 
     Boilies and pop ups but thats  too modern for me. But  they smell so strong  that must be good
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited January 2023
    Nice work Rob! Carp are fun as hell to catch.  I always used use corn kernels for them.  Do you have large mouth bass in England? 
  • No we don't  have those
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Normally bream are unwanted and a slimey annoyance. I use either bread  corn or chick peas are good soaked over night. 
     Boilies and pop ups but thats  too modern for me. But  they smell so strong  that must be good
    We are not allowed to fish with corn here.  Big fine and no no.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Normally bream are unwanted and a slimey annoyance. I use either bread  corn or chick peas are good soaked over night. 
    I fish with corn, super easy with the 8 yr old vs worms and the little fish take it.
    Never heard of it not being allowed.
    Why is that?
  • Sometimes maggots.  Yeah why no corn?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I fish with corn, super easy with the 8 yr old vs worms and the little fish take it.
    Never heard of it not being allowed.
    Why is that?
    The hatchery's feed the fish corn and were told by every fisherman on the rivers it was illegal.

I just looked it up and you can use it, no shit.  All these years...  Damnit.

You can't chum w corn in places but you can put it on a hook.

I didn't know.

Guess what I'm fishing with next time?
    It IS just about the easiest thing you could use.

• Small soaked dog biscuits also get used 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Catch and release everyone.

Wow.
    Only fish I catch and eat these days are ones from the bayou and gulf of Mexico.
    Know they are all oil-tainted.  Not enough of this consumed to harm me, I don't think.

Everything local is released.
  • We are good here as we only release 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

eddiec said:
    Catch and release everyone.

dang..I think the only fish I might keep are hatchery raised, so likely uncontaminated. Sad reflection on what humans do to the planet. 
    Take care all
  • This is mostly from runoff of the land surrounding and not what people dumped into it.  Water all runs into a river eventually so all the crap and soot gets stuck in there.

Stop using fertilizer, use horse shit.
    Wow.
    Only fish I catch and eat these days are ones from the bayou and gulf of Mexico.
    Know they are all oil-tainted.  Not enough of this consumed to harm me, I don't think.

You fish the Delaware?  Any good local lakes near you?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wow.

You fish the Delaware?  Any good local lakes near you?
    Don't have a boat so have not, yet.
    Some good ponds and streams and whatnot....but nothing great.  Mostly the local fishing is for the kids to be able to lose bait and learn how to cast.  
    Wanna get offshore here, do you do that at all?

I used to own a boat and it was docked in belmar. Unfortunately since I sold it I haven’t been offshore.    
    What did you catch out there? I tend to romanticize being out in the ocean fishing. Realistically more of a landlover.