My ultra frustrating guitar search... suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I hope you enjoy your guitar!  Congrats!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Jason P said:
    I hope you enjoy your guitar!  Congrats!

Thanks, JP!
    It's beautiful!  But I haven't had a chance to plug it in what with dealing with a rare and unfortunate event- the engine in our Prius engine is toast with only 200K miles on it.  It should have lasted at least 300K but a faulty plug sent a piece of ceramic into a cylinder and ruined the engine.  Freak accident.  Major expense.  Ouch!
    Oh well, at least I can play my guitar!

Hopefully some pictures tomorrow!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Les Paul Special, Vintage Cherry with P-90s has been ordered!  I will post picture when it shows up next week.
    Thanks again all for helpful input.  Much appreciated!
    nice!! congrats, buddy! hopefully this one is the one!

Thanks, man! 
    Here's a sneak preview (the rep sent me these photos of the very guitar that has shipped):

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6
    Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

Oh, hell yeah!! Congrats, man!!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Les Paul Special, Vintage Cherry with P-90s has been ordered!  I will post picture when it shows up next week.
    Thanks again all for helpful input.  Much appreciated!
    nice!! congrats, buddy! hopefully this one is the one!

Thanks, man! 
    Here's a sneak preview (the rep sent me these photos of the very guitar that has shipped):

Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6
    Photo 6Photo 6Photo 6

Oh, hell yeah!! Congrats, man!!!!

Thanks! 
    Today I have time to plug in and take her for a spin!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

At long last!  :smiley:
    IMG

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    IMG

Awesome!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    brianlux said:
    IMG

awww yeah!! happy for you brian!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    brianlux said:
    IMG

Thanks so much my friend!

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Love it Bri!   Happy playing.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited December 2022
    mcgruff10 said:
    Love it Bri!   Happy playing.  

Hey, bud!  Lovin' it!  Thanks so much, and good to see you!

brianlux said:
    IMG

I have been wa-a-a-y too bummed for the last 8 months to talk about this, but that guitar ^^^ ended up getting sent back.  It was new and had a lacquer preservative that gave me fierce headaches.  I lost shipping cost, but worst, I have thought about that guitar a thousand and ten times these last several months.  It felt so right, sounded so good.  Talk about a bummer!

BUT...  I won't say until it happens... BUT... oh man, please let it be the right one this time...

I'll keep y'all posted!

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,385
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    IMG

I have been wa-a-a-y too bummed for the last 8 months to talk about this, but that guitar ^^^ ended up getting sent back.  It was new and had a lacquer preservative that gave me fierce headaches.  I lost shipping cost, but worst, I have thought about that guitar a thousand and ten times these last several months.  It felt so right, sounded so good.  Talk about a bummer!

BUT...  I won't say until it happens... BUT... oh man, please let it be the right one this time...

I'll keep y'all posted!

I just had a really good experience buying a new bass through Sweetwater. 

I sent the 1st one back that I got as it looked way different in person than it did on their website. They tried to hit me w/ the return shipping (which surprisingly was only $29 from Eastern MA -> Fort Wayne [I can't believe they don't insure their instruments, that made me nervous AF :s]); but after showing him the pictures and the stark difference, they covered the return shipping too. 

It took a few months for the one I wanted to get back into stock, and it got delivered last month. I couldn't be happier. 
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:
    IMG

I'll keep y'all posted!

I just had a really good experience buying a new bass through Sweetwater. 

I sent the 1st one back that I got as it looked way different in person than it did on their website. They tried to hit me w/ the return shipping (which surprisingly was only $29 from Eastern MA -> Fort Wayne [I can't believe they don't insure their instruments, that made me nervous AF :s]); but after showing him the pictures and the stark difference, they covered the return shipping too. 

It took a few months for the one I wanted to get back into stock, and it got delivered last month. I couldn't be happier. 

I'm glad that worked out for you!  Really cool that they refunded your shipping.  I wasn't so lucky-- or not persistent enough.

The guitar I thought would work for me was through Reverb.com.  Got a message from the guy who told me the listing was wrong and I should cancel my order.  I guess going through Reverb was a bad choice.  Hell, maybe I should take up some other hobby.  Big disappointment.

After looking at the re-listed guitar I'm considering, I decided to give it a try.  If I don't like it, I'm out shipping.  But because We have no local music shops and even Sacramento an hour away has not had anything that works for me, I have to shop on-line.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Will post photos if it works out.  If not, maybe I'll take up ship building, bungee jumping off the world's tallest building,  or deep water sub diving instead.  :lol:

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    brianlux said:
    After looking at the re-listed guitar I'm considering, I decided to give it a try.  If I don't like it, I'm out shipping.  But because We have no local music shops and even Sacramento an hour away has not had anything that works for me, I have to shop on-line.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Will post photos if it works out.  If not, maybe I'll take up ship building, bungee jumping off the world's tallest building,  or deep water sub diving instead.  :lol:

or use a different online shop?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

or use a different online shop?

Yeah for sure- I was just frustrated this morning because I've had a string of bad luck with merchants lately.  Was commiserating with my chiropractor this morning because he has had merchant issues as well recently. 
    The right guitar is out there and when I find it, it will be awesome.

That sucks Brian.  Try to find a used one.  The lacquer has already off gassed at that point even if it's only a year or two old.  That Nitro finish continues curing for sometime.  Best kept out of the case frequently when new to help speed the process along.  I bet there is a great used special that is nearly identical but just a couple of years passed the curing stage of the finish that you can probably pickup for less than you paid for the new one.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    That sucks Brian.  Try to find a used one.  The lacquer has already off gassed at that point even if it's only a year or two old.  That Nitro finish continues curing for sometime.  Best kept out of the case frequently when new to help speed the process along.  I bet there is a great used special that is nearly identical but just a couple of years passed the curing stage of the finish that you can probably pickup for less than you paid for the new one.

Thanks for encouragement.  I'll keep trying!

"Bad luck and trouble been my only friend..."
    At least with electric guitars anyway.  I purchased a Les Paul Special Tribute that arrived today.  Had a broken tone knob that wasn't mentioned, the thing feels like its covered in grease, hard to tune, bridge pickup up is weak, the neck pickup way boomy/muddy.  Looks nice but, argh!  it's going back.
    Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute Cherry with ThroBak Pickups 2019 image 2

• Play Hagström
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Play Hagström

I've read good things about Hagström guitars but never seen one in a shop to try one out.
    I'm definitely never again going to buy a guitar on line and our options- even in Sacramento- are very limited.  If I lived in the Bay Area I would have all kinds of places to check out, but I rarely travel that far anymore.  Maybe someday I'll get lucky and find something in Folsom at Nicholson's.  Their inventory is rather limited but it's a doable drive.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Just saw this post.
    Do you ever look online locally, like Facebook Marketplace?

I decided to pick up guitar several months ago after about 20 years of not playing. I still had my old guitars from high school, but wanted to sell them and get something different. They were really nice, and that was part of the problem, worth too much for what I do. My goal was under $500.
    I bought and sold several different guitars off Facebook Marketplace. I thought I'd fall in love with one and decided I just didn't like it as much.
    My favorite one that I will keep is an Epiphone Standard 60s LP. The 60s has a thinner neck that I like. And I bought some used Gibson 498 pickups that I swapped out and it sounds great. Couldn't ask for a better guitar for that price I don't think.
    I've found some good deals on FB, especially ones that are just dirty and missing a string people sometimes sell for cheap. And if you don't like it, I'd make a little after cleaning it up and selling it. The only reason I even ended up swapping the pickups is because I got a good deal on an Epiphone LP with a dud pickup. Found some used Gibson pickups on eBay, watched a YouTube video on how to replace them, and it was pretty easy. That was a 50s LP and it just didn't feel right, until I got a 60s LP and swapped pickups again.

I've seen those Gibson Specials and Tributes and thought about trying one, they look great, but always just a little out of my price range. I live about 30 minutes out of Knoxville now, I would think Sacramento has even better options for a used market. 

Anyway, just another idea of where to look, I'm only in my guitar for about $300, plus I've made over $1000 just selling the ones I didn't like along the way.
    mace1229 said:
    Just saw this post.

I decided to pick up guitar several months ago after about 20 years of not playing. I still had my old guitars from high school, but wanted to sell them and get something different. They were really nice, and that was part of the problem, worth too much for what I do. My goal was under $500.
    I bought and sold several different guitars off Facebook Marketplace. I thought I'd fall in love with one and decided I just didn't like it as much.
    My favorite one that I will keep is an Epiphone Standard 60s LP. The 60s has a thinner neck that I like. And I bought some used Gibson 498 pickups that I swapped out and it sounds great. Couldn't ask for a better guitar for that price I don't think.
    I've found some good deals on FB, especially ones that are just dirty and missing a string people sometimes sell for cheap. And if you don't like it, I'd make a little after cleaning it up and selling it. The only reason I even ended up swapping the pickups is because I got a good deal on an Epiphone LP with a dud pickup. Found some used Gibson pickups on eBay, watched a YouTube video on how to replace them, and it was pretty easy. That was a 50s LP and it just didn't feel right, until I got a 60s LP and swapped pickups again.

I've seen those Gibson Specials and Tributes and thought about trying one, they look great, but always just a little out of my price range. I live about 30 minutes out of Knoxville now, I would think Sacramento has even better options for a used market. 

Anyway, just another idea of where to look, I'm only in my guitar for about $300, plus I've made over $1000 just selling the ones I didn't like along the way.

Sounds like you did well with selling off the ones you had and ending up with something nice.  Good job!
    Yes, I have check a local FB site called El Dorado Exchange and found nothing, but I should do that more often- thanks for the reminder!

Going into Sacramento for me is not such a great option.  A friend of mine brought his buddy Jello Biafra into the bookstore for me to meet some years back (which was WAY cool!) and when he was getting ready to leave, Jello asked if there was another way to get back to San Francisco from Placerville without having to go through "Excremento" (I told him, "I'm sorry, but the optional routes take a lot longer and are not practical").  "Excremento"- that totally cracked me up, but he had it pegged.  Sacramento is, indeed, a shit-hole of a town.  I go there as seldom as possible! 

I know what you mean about how a less expensive guitar can sound great.  I have two electrics right now.  One is a replica '72 Fender Telecaster thin-line semi hollow body with humbucking pickups.  My godchildren purchased it for me when their grandmother died and left them some money.  That was so sweet of them.  I actually do not at all enjoy playing that guitar but it looks great on my wall and I don't have the heart to sell it or tell them it doesn't work for me.  The other guitar is an 80s Squire Strat with  humbuckers.  Plugged into my Ram's Head Big Muff PI, it makes for a great grungly guitar.  But it's pretty much limited that way- played clean, it's not at all impressive.  I'm hoping to find something more versatile that can be plugged into effects or that sounds good and solidly played clean (which is what I'm more prone to doing these days).

But yes, I will check that local site more often!

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    Just saw this post.

Sounds like you did well with selling off the ones you had and ending up with something nice.  Good job!
    Yes, I have check a local FB site called El Dorado Exchange and found nothing, but I should do that more often- thanks for the reminder!

Going into Sacramento for me is not such a great option.  A friend of mine brought his buddy Jello Biafra into the bookstore for me to meet some years back (which was WAY cool!) and when he was getting ready to leave, Jello asked if there was another way to get back to San Francisco from Placerville without having to go through "Excremento" (I told him, "I'm sorry, but the optional routes take a lot longer and are not practical").  "Excremento"- that totally cracked me up, but he had it pegged.  Sacramento is, indeed, a shit-hole of a town.  I go there as seldom as possible! 

I know what you mean about how a less expensive guitar can sound great.  I have two electrics right now.  One is a replica '72 Fender Telecaster thin-line semi hollow body with humbucking pickups.  My godchildren purchased it for me when their grandmother died and left them some money.  That was so sweet of them.  I actually do not at all enjoy playing that guitar but it looks great on my wall and I don't have the heart to sell it or tell them it doesn't work for me.  The other guitar is an 80s Squire Strat with  humbuckers.  Plugged into my Ram's Head Big Muff PI, it makes for a great grungly guitar.  But it's pretty much limited that way- played clean, it's not at all impressive.  I'm hoping to find something more versatile that can be plugged into effects or that sounds good and solidly played clean (which is what I'm more prone to doing these days).

It’s weird but in a lot of states, the capital cities are pretty sucky. 

To stay in task, I have a Les Paul and for something with a different sound I went with a semi-hollow Gretsch (streamliner model) with p-90s. I really like it and it’s a contrast to the Les Paul, which is kinda like sex in a long term, monogamous relationship. Predictable, solid, it just feels right and is your go to. The Gretsch is more like a one night stand: you aren’t always sure what sounds might come from it depending on where your fingers are, it’s a little wild, it’s loud, unpredictable and fun, and also more affordable than the Les Paul. 
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    Just saw this post.

To stay in task, I have a Les Paul and for something with a different sound I went with a semi-hollow Gretsch (streamliner model) with p-90s. I really like it and it’s a contrast to the Les Paul, which is kinda like sex in a long term, monogamous relationship. Predictable, solid, it just feels right and is your go to. The Gretsch is more like a one night stand: you aren’t always sure what sounds might come from it depending on where your fingers are, it’s a little wild, it’s loud, unpredictable and fun, and also more affordable than the Les Paul. 

Quite the descriptive post there, GB, LOL.  I think something in the Les Paul line is more what I'm looking for.  I wish Fender made a Telecaster with a 24" scale length and a neck similar to the Les Paul Special I tried out.  I guess what I really want is a hybrid I haven't found yet.

Thanks for suggestions.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    Just saw this post.

Quite the descriptive post there, GB, LOL.  I think something in the Les Paul line is more what I'm looking for.  I wish Fender made a Telecaster with a 24" scale length and a neck similar to the Les Paul Special I tried out.  I guess what I really want is a hybrid I haven't found yet.

Thanks for suggestions.
    Jaguars have a 24" scale length Brian.  They can get pretty nasty too! Just not P90 nasty
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    Just saw this post.

Thanks for suggestions.
    Jaguars have a 24" scale length Brian.  They can get pretty nasty too! Just not P90 nasty

I thought about a Jaguar... but all those damn switches!  :lol:
    Fender Kurt Cobain Jaguar 3-Tone Sunburst

brian you ever think about getting something vintage? something that is player grade with a nice worn in nitro finish and broken in neck that you do not have to break in? at this point i would not get something new unless there is something special about it that you just have to have.

i have my eyes on a 1975 les paul standard deluxe. the only reason i haven't bought it is because the small mom and pop shop does not offer financing and i do not have anything of substantial value that i want to trade towards it right now to lower the price. they are only asking $3200 for it.

the way i see it, i am in the phase of my guitar playing that i want to buy something that i will hang on to for the rest of my life. i do not have the time to break in something new and play it as much as a new guitar needs/deserves to be played. you can get a vintage, player grade, les paul special or junior for not much more, maybe a few hundred more, than you paid for that original red one you had to send back.

just something to maybe consider.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

edited September 2023
    brian you ever think about getting something vintage? something that is player grade with a nice worn in nitro finish and broken in neck that you do not have to break in? at this point i would not get something new unless there is something special about it that you just have to have.

i have my eyes on a 1975 les paul standard deluxe. the only reason i haven't bought it is because the small mom and pop shop does not offer financing and i do not have anything of substantial value that i want to trade towards it right now to lower the price. they are only asking $3200 for it.

the way i see it, i am in the phase of my guitar playing that i want to buy something that i will hang on to for the rest of my life. i do not have the time to break in something new and play it as much as a new guitar needs/deserves to be played. you can get a vintage, player grade, les paul special or junior for not much more, maybe a few hundred more, than you paid for that original red one you had to send back.

That sounds like good advice, bud!  I figure I can comfortably go to $1500, maybe even $1800 if it's too good to resist.  I'm definitely leaning strongly toward an LP of some kind.  I hadn't thought too seriously about a Junior but they are lighter.  Might be harder to find though, than a Special.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh, and by the way, good luck with the '75 LP!  Sounds like a really good price! It's not really any of my business, but I kind of want to talk you into getting it some how, lol.  But I'm guessing if you had the cash, I wouldn't need to! 
    Post edited by brianlux on

brianlux said:

That sounds like good advice, bud!  I figure I can comfortably go to $1500, maybe even $1800 if it's too good to resist.  I'm definitely leaning strongly toward an LP of some kind.  I hadn't thought too seriously about a Junior but they are lighter.  Might be harder to find though, than a Special.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh, and by the way, good luck with the '75 LP!  Sounds like a really good price! It's not really any of my business, but I kind of want to talk you into getting it some how, lol.  But I'm guessing if you had the cash, I wouldn't need to! 
    oh yeah if i had the cash there would be no question, lol....

i would think you would be able to find something for under 2k if you do not mind that it shows it's age. if you have concerns about the lacquer and skin irritation and stuff from a new guitar, maybe an old one will be better. only thing is the old ones tend to be heavier than the new weight relieved ones.