My ultra frustrating guitar search... IS OVER!!!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,784
    brianlux said:
    brian you ever think about getting something vintage? something that is player grade with a nice worn in nitro finish and broken in neck that you do not have to break in? at this point i would not get something new unless there is something special about it that you just have to have.

i have my eyes on a 1975 les paul standard deluxe. the only reason i haven't bought it is because the small mom and pop shop does not offer financing and i do not have anything of substantial value that i want to trade towards it right now to lower the price. they are only asking $3200 for it.

the way i see it, i am in the phase of my guitar playing that i want to buy something that i will hang on to for the rest of my life. i do not have the time to break in something new and play it as much as a new guitar needs/deserves to be played. you can get a vintage, player grade, les paul special or junior for not much more, maybe a few hundred more, than you paid for that original red one you had to send back.

just something to maybe consider.

That sounds like good advice, bud!  I figure I can comfortably go to $1500, maybe even $1800 if it's too good to resist.  I'm definitely leaning strongly toward an LP of some kind.  I hadn't thought too seriously about a Junior but they are lighter.  Might be harder to find though, than a Special.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh, and by the way, good luck with the '75 LP!  Sounds like a really good price! It's not really any of my business, but I kind of want to talk you into getting it some how, lol.  But I'm guessing if you had the cash, I wouldn't need to! 
    oh yeah if i had the cash there would be no question, lol....

i would think you would be able to find something for under 2k if you do not mind that it shows it's age. if you have concerns about the lacquer and skin irritation and stuff from a new guitar, maybe an old one will be better. only thing is the old ones tend to be heavier than the new weight relieved ones. 

Good point about weight- something to keep in mind! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brian you ever think about getting something vintage? something that is player grade with a nice worn in nitro finish and broken in neck that you do not have to break in? at this point i would not get something new unless there is something special about it that you just have to have.

i have my eyes on a 1975 les paul standard deluxe. the only reason i haven't bought it is because the small mom and pop shop does not offer financing and i do not have anything of substantial value that i want to trade towards it right now to lower the price. they are only asking $3200 for it.

the way i see it, i am in the phase of my guitar playing that i want to buy something that i will hang on to for the rest of my life. i do not have the time to break in something new and play it as much as a new guitar needs/deserves to be played. you can get a vintage, player grade, les paul special or junior for not much more, maybe a few hundred more, than you paid for that original red one you had to send back.

That sounds like good advice, bud!  I figure I can comfortably go to $1500, maybe even $1800 if it's too good to resist.  I'm definitely leaning strongly toward an LP of some kind.  I hadn't thought too seriously about a Junior but they are lighter.  Might be harder to find though, than a Special.

Thanks for the advice!

Oh, and by the way, good luck with the '75 LP!  Sounds like a really good price! It's not really any of my business, but I kind of want to talk you into getting it some how, lol.  But I'm guessing if you had the cash, I wouldn't need to! 

i would think you would be able to find something for under 2k if you do not mind that it shows it's age. if you have concerns about the lacquer and skin irritation and stuff from a new guitar, maybe an old one will be better. only thing is the old ones tend to be heavier than the new weight relieved ones. 

definitely.

also, i just went to the guitar shop and the 1975 les paul i was looking at sold yesterday. oh well, on to the next object of my gear lust, haha.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks for the advice!

definitely.

also, i just went to the guitar shop and the 1975 les paul i was looking at sold yesterday. oh well, on to the next object of my gear lust, haha.
    Oh darn!  Sorry to hear that.
    I'm pretty sure someone somewhere out there once said, "There's always one more guitar!" :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Here's a very affordable Gretsch someone suggested for me.  It look very promising!  I'm going to see if Nicholson's down in Folsom have one for me to check out.  Sure looks good!

• dudemandudeman Posts: 3,053
    brianlux said:
    Here's a very affordable Gretsch someone suggested for me.  It look very promising!  I'm going to see if Nicholson's down in Folsom have one for me to check out.  Sure looks good!

You might be surprised at just how nice those guitars are to play. I've been impressed with nearly every one I've checked out. 

I hope you find a keeper!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:

You might be surprised at just how nice those guitars are to play. I've been impressed with nearly every one I've checked out. 

Thanks, man.  I'm stoked to have found a good candidate for what I've been seeking and what you said is encouraging that way!

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,416
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks, man.  I'm stoked to have found a good candidate for what I've been seeking and what you said is encouraging that way!
    I love my Gretsch Electromatic!! So much fun to play!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:

I love my Gretsch Electromatic!! So much fun to play!

Another thumbs up, thank you!

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,759
    brianlux said:

That is a nice looking guitar!. Hopefully it works for you.
  • the p-90 in the neck probably sounds pretty damn good. what is in the bridge? a filtertron maybe? if so, that's a nice combo.

• the p-90 in the neck probably sounds pretty damn good. what is in the bridge? a filtertron maybe? if so, that's a nice combo.
    lol yeah i am a dummy. i posted without clicking the link lol...

i did click it now and some of those colors look great on that guitar. hope it works out, brian!!

edited October 2023
    the p-90 in the neck probably sounds pretty damn good. what is in the bridge? a filtertron maybe? if so, that's a nice combo.
    lol yeah i am a dummy. i posted without clicking the link lol...

i did click it now and some of those colors look great on that guitar. hope it works out, brian!!

All for not, my friend.  I checked one out at down at Nicholson's and the sucker was nice but too heavy!  The had a Fender Mustang that I checked out though and despite some options I didn't care for (a pastel blue which would be nice if you're into Ken and Barbie, haha, and single coils that didn't sound so good), but I'm thinking that with P-90 (which is an option) that might be a good choice and won't break the bank at $800.  I asked the guy to let me know if the get any in.  That neck felt great.  And weight wise they  only run about 7 1/2 pounds on average.  What I hope they might get in would be one that looks like this:
    Fender Player Series Mustang 90 Guitar Review  Guitars For Idiots

Almost two years ago, I thought I had my search resolved with the purchase of a 2022 Les Paul Special, vintage cherry finish.  That guitar was amazing... BUT.. it had a lacquer preservative that gave me terrific headaches so I had to return it.

Fast forward two years later and on Sweetwater's subsidiary Gear Exchange, I found this 2016 Les Paul Special, vintage cherry finish.  It's fully off-gassed so no pleasant odor.  I have to admit I loved that 2022 model a little better.  It was a slightly light shade of cherry red- more of a redwood/ cherry finish, and I really bonded fast with that guitar.  But this one was a good price, it looks great, everything works great, and at this stage in the game, I'm going to call it good enough for me and make it work.  And this, I HOPE, is the last guitar I will ever buy.  At this point in my life, I'm plenty satisfied and will look forward to getting to know this one better and be satisfied. 
    IMG

• dudemandudeman Posts: 3,053
    Very cool! Good looking guitar! Congrats!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    Very cool! Good looking guitar! Congrats!

Thanks, Dudeman!

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,415
    Very nice Bri!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Very nice Bri!

Thanks, bud!

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,258
    Looks great man!  Enjoy!  
    Looks great man!  Enjoy!  

Thanks, Abe!

edited October 19
    @brianlux how are you liking the fender princeton? Worth the $$$? I need a new amp so bad.   
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    mcgruff10 said:
    @brianlux how are you liking the fender princeton? Worth the $$$? I need a new amp so bad.   

Hey bud,  
    I've had the Princeton for just a little over two years now and love it.  Of course, with my shot ears I can't drive it hard the way it should be, but I'm thinking about getting a good attenuation device (possible a Tone King Ironman II Mini Attenuator) so I can approximate the sound the way it should be driven.  The spring reverb is excellent, and the built in tremolo is very cool!  

I paid $1300 new in September, 2022, and they've since gone to $1500, but then what hasn't gone up in two years, lol!  That was a big expense for me but I had saved up my "allowance" for a good while and had wanted to get this amp for quite a few years, so I'm very happy with it.

I hope that helps.  Keep us posted if you decide to go for it!

• princetons are not made to be driven organically. they are clean platforms and great for pedals. if you want the ommpf coming from your amp the princeton will not do it. but if you want a great clean platform that you can drive to oblivion with pedals the princeton is the way to go.

hopefully this LP will do what you need it to do, brian!!

brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hey bud,  
    I've had the Princeton for just a little over two years now and love it.  Of course, with my shot ears I can't drive it hard the way it should be, but I'm thinking about getting a good attenuation device (possible a Tone King Ironman II Mini Attenuator) so I can approximate the sound the way it should be driven.  The spring reverb is excellent, and the built in tremolo is very cool!  

I paid $1300 new in September, 2022, and they've since gone to $1500, but then what hasn't gone up in two years, lol!  That was a big expense for me but I had saved up my "allowance" for a good while and had wanted to get this amp for quite a few years, so I'm very happy with it.

I hope that helps.  Keep us posted if you decide to go for it!

Will do bud!  Thanks for the review!! I always loved the sound of that amp.  Currently saving for a Strat then will be going for a new amp.   It never ends lol.   
    princetons are not made to be driven organically. they are clean platforms and great for pedals. if you want the ommpf coming from your amp the princeton will not do it. but if you want a great clean platform that you can drive to oblivion with pedals the princeton is the way to go.

Sounds like good advice, my friend. Interesting what you said because so far, playing it clean with a little reverb is what I've liked best.   I have not had great luck with pedals thus far.  I have an old DOD FX55C Supra Distortion that is crapping out on me after all these years but it always sounded a bit harsh anyway.  A few years ago I bought an Electro Harmonix Big Muff and its OK but more aggressive than what I'd like.  And about 20 years about, I bought an old Chandler Industries Tube Drive that I had cleaned up and put new tubes in and it's kind of cool, but not really what I'm looking for.  I also had a Pickle fuzz box for a while but the thing had way more bells and whistles for my simpler tastes, so I sold it.  What I keep looking for is something that will give me a little bit of warm drive, or (especially) some nice retro warm fuzz.  I'm definitely not looking for a heavy metal sound or a J Mascis ear bleeding sound!
    If I were totally honest, I'd probably do best to stop trying to be a rock guy and just stick with my Little Martin LX1 acoustic that I've always loved playing.  
    Ohhhh, but the lure of the search for a good electric guitar sound.  What can I say!

• brianlux said:
    princetons are not made to be driven organically. they are clean platforms and great for pedals. if you want the ommpf coming from your amp the princeton will not do it. but if you want a great clean platform that you can drive to oblivion with pedals the princeton is the way to go.

Sounds like good advice, my friend. Interesting what you said because so far, playing it clean with a little reverb is what I've liked best.   I have not had great luck with pedals thus far.  I have an old DOD FX55C Supra Distortion that is crapping out on me after all these years but it always sounded a bit harsh anyway.  A few years ago I bought an Electro Harmonix Big Muff and its OK but more aggressive than what I'd like.  And about 20 years about, I bought an old Chandler Industries Tube Drive that I had cleaned up and put new tubes in and it's kind of cool, but not really what I'm looking for.  I also had a Pickle fuzz box for a while but the thing had way more bells and whistles for my simpler tastes, so I sold it.  What I keep looking for is something that will give me a little bit of warm drive, or (especially) some nice retro warm fuzz.  I'm definitely not looking for a heavy metal sound or a J Mascis ear bleeding sound!
    If I were totally honest, I'd probably do best to stop trying to be a rock guy and just stick with my Little Martin LX1 acoustic that I've always loved playing.  
    Ohhhh, but the lure of the search for a good electric guitar sound.  What can I say!
    you are picking pedals that are distortion circuits. you are probably more like me in that i do not love fuzz, i love a good overdriven amp that cleans up with rolling my guitar volume down. i would look into an overdrive pedal like a jhs morning glory. all it does is take the cleaner tone your amp and guitar have and boost it into a little overdrive. it is easier on the amp and easier to control. it is a circuit that is classified as a "transparent overdrive" where it take what you are putting into the amp and makes it better. my morning glory is on all the time when i play a guitar with humbuckers and i stack it with a harder overdrive like my king of tone and it is overdrive heaven. with a single coil like a p90, strat, or tele i have a klon circuit on all the time and boost it with the morning glory. when you put too much distortion it can be harsh and i think that is what you might be hearing. fuzz like a big muff or the old "distortion" pedals is too much for a lot of people. i used fuzz a lot when i jammed with abefroman, but my rig and my ears like overdrive better.

brianlux said:

you are picking pedals that are distortion circuits. you are probably more like me in that i do not love fuzz, i love a good overdriven amp that cleans up with rolling my guitar volume down. i would look into an overdrive pedal like a jhs morning glory. all it does is take the cleaner tone your amp and guitar have and boost it into a little overdrive. it is easier on the amp and easier to control. it is a circuit that is classified as a "transparent overdrive" where it take what you are putting into the amp and makes it better. my morning glory is on all the time when i play a guitar with humbuckers and i stack it with a harder overdrive like my king of tone and it is overdrive heaven. with a single coil like a p90, strat, or tele i have a klon circuit on all the time and boost it with the morning glory. when you put too much distortion it can be harsh and i think that is what you might be hearing. fuzz like a big muff or the old "distortion" pedals is too much for a lot of people. i used fuzz a lot when i jammed with abefroman, but my rig and my ears like overdrive better.
    Damn this is some knowledge right here!  Love it.  
    brianlux said:

Great, man, thanks!  I will look into the Klon Circuit and Morning Glory!
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

:plus_one:

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

there are klon clones all over the place. i think the wampler tumnus is the best i have played. i like that so much that i have one on both of my gig boards. you can get one used for like $120, maybe less now. there is also the j rockett archer series. there are cheaper options out there, maybe an electroharmonics soul food or something. those sound good as well. 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

there are klon clones all over the place. i think the wampler tumnus is the best i have played. i like that so much that i have one on both of my gig boards. you can get one used for like $120, maybe less now. there is also the j rockett archer series. there are cheaper options out there, maybe an electroharmonics soul food or something. those sound good as well. 

The Wampler Tumnus gets some good review and even on my computer, the demos I listened to sound pretty sweet.  Thanks for the tip!

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,986
    I have an 1971 Princeton reverb that of course sounds excellent and I’ll run a zvex Distortron through it. That gives it a nice punch and the eq on the pedal is less harsh and trebly as compared to some others. Soul Food sounds good, too.