I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    With vinyl prices so high, I've started looking at black vinyl versions of a lot of records when I'm buying new releases now. I've seen quite a few where they have dropped to about £16 here a few months after release. I've always usually gone for the limited indie exclusive etc but getting kind of tired of that when I see so many good deals for the regular version. I'm convinced there are less pressed of the black versions sometimes.

Black vinyl sounds fine, and some will even tell you it presses better.  That, I don't know.  But I do know it's easier to queue up a song in the middle of a side on black vinyl! 
    Generally speaking, I think the whole colored vinyl thing is a bit over-rated.  If you think about it, basing a vinyl purchase of color is sort of backwards in priorities.  The vast majority of old vinyl is black and analog sourced.  A big percentage (maybe the largest?) of today's vinyl is colored and the largest percentage of sourcing by a bunch is digital.

And also- let's face it- "Spin the orange circle" or "Spin the purple circle" just doesn't have the same ring, ya know?  :lol:
    Ive always been a bit of a sucker for coloured vinyl. I used to fall for the limited edition line all of the time but slowly trying to get out of that mode.

I have to admit, I have some and they look very cool! 
    Juliana Hatfield's 7"  "Christmas Cactus/ Poinsettia" is a beauty:
    Primary

Secondary 3 of 5
    Your girl crush!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    With vinyl prices so high, I've started looking at black vinyl versions of a lot of records when I'm buying new releases now. I've seen quite a few where they have dropped to about £16 here a few months after release. I've always usually gone for the limited indie exclusive etc but getting kind of tired of that when I see so many good deals for the regular version. I'm convinced there are less pressed of the black versions sometimes.

Black vinyl sounds fine, and some will even tell you it presses better.  That, I don't know.  But I do know it's easier to queue up a song in the middle of a side on black vinyl! 
    Generally speaking, I think the whole colored vinyl thing is a bit over-rated.  If you think about it, basing a vinyl purchase of color is sort of backwards in priorities.  The vast majority of old vinyl is black and analog sourced.  A big percentage (maybe the largest?) of today's vinyl is colored and the largest percentage of sourcing by a bunch is digital.

And also- let's face it- "Spin the orange circle" or "Spin the purple circle" just doesn't have the same ring, ya know?  :lol:
    Ive always been a bit of a sucker for coloured vinyl. I used to fall for the limited edition line all of the time but slowly trying to get out of that mode.

I have to admit, I have some and they look very cool! 
    Juliana Hatfield's 7"  "Christmas Cactus/ Poinsettia" is a beauty:
    Primary

Secondary 3 of 5
    Your girl crush!

Haha!  Well... what can I say!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    The Mars Volta-S/T….much better than expected.

Marcus King-Young Blood

both well pressed and packaged but on the pricier end for a basic issue.
  • DC29940 said:

Batiste!!!!  Let me know how you like that album!
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    DC29940 said:

Loved it! Got it on clearance for under $10 and after listening to it, it was an absolute steal. Great album.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    DC29940 said:
    DC29940 said:

Loved it! Got it on clearance for under $10 and after listening to it, it was an absolute steal. Great album.
    Awesome price for a great album!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited October 2022
    Bought a 2020 reissue of En Roue Libre (The freewheelin) Bob Dylan just on a whim since I only had it on CD and I've never found a nice original. Arrived from France via Poland and Germany to the UK in nothing more than one of those thin cardboard envelopes, not even one designed for records. Arrived in a bit of a state as you can imagine.

Slightly different but also ordered elsewhere Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful. I've listened to that loads online recently and looking forward to the physical copy arriving.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited October 2022
    Another nice recent find and one that takes my back... way back
    When I was in high school, this band came and played at our school's large general purpose auditorium/ cafeteria.  A couple of my friends and I under the leadership of an older student did all the stage crew work for shows and plays.  We had a general policy of giving bands the light show they deserved.  If they were demanding or pushy, they got the basics.  If they were cool and treated us decently, we gave them a good show.  This band got one of the best light show/ stage set up we had ever given.  These guys were super nice, totally cool and one hell of a great band.  During intermission, they hung out with us back stage and we had a great time.  At one point, I showed them this trick I'd made up where I took a large balloon, filled it up big, and made it look like I could inhale all of the air (I had taught myself how to suck the air into my mouth and blow it out through my nose, all the while lifting up and expanding my chest.  The guys were blown away and one of them said, "Man, you must smoke a LOT of grass!"  Laughs all around (But I never let on how I did the trick, lol.)  Good times!
    The amazing The Chocolate Watch Band. 
    How sweet it is to have this LP to listen to.
    Primary

The Chocolate Watch Band* – The Inner Mystique

Label:Tower – ST 5106
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
    Released:1968
    Genre:Rock
    Style:Psychedelic Rock

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    NIN pretty Hate machine repress, NOT THE AWFUL REMASTER
  • hrd2imgn said:
    NIN pretty Hate machine repress, NOT THE AWFUL REMASTER
    I have a hard time listening to that now.  It's very dated to me.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    True for me too. I can see the love for it. I loved it when it was released. Very new sounds and experimenting. Memories of playing the tape in my 78 mercury cougar with a really cute punkish friend squeezed into my backseat singing along to every word of up above it. 

That's hot.
  • Loujoe said:
    True for me too. I can see the love for it. I loved it when it was released. Very new sounds and experimenting. Memories of playing the tape in my 78 mercury cougar with a really cute punkish friend squeezed into my backseat singing along to every word of up above it. 

That's hot.
    I was full on in to Techno when this came out and I was listening to Lard and this was a meld of the two genres.  It was definitely fun when it first came out.  I always wanted more bass from it.  Reznor gave you teases...
    edited October 2022
    Loved the bass intro in Kinda I Want To. Made my brain melt on high volume
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
    edited October 2022
    Head Like a Hole was a game changer for me.  Same with Evenflow
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
    All true^^enjoy it!
  • RobbertRobbert Rotterdam, the Netherlands Posts: 737
    edited October 2022
    Just scored a original ( thinknit is an original ) Chris Cornell songbook vinyl for only 35 euros on a Record&CD fair in the Netherlands. I was ( and still are ) so in doubt if it isnt a reissue or a unofficial copy. But on the back it says 2011. 
    Post edited by Robbert on
    edited October 2022
    Robbert said:
    Just scored a original ( thinknit is an original ) Chris Cornell songbook vinyl for only 35 euros on a Record&CD fair in the Netherlands. I was ( and still are ) so in doubt if it isnt a reissue or a unofficial copy. But on the back it says 2011. 
    Don't know much about this album but the majority of unofficial copies of this look like they are on coloured vinyl. There does appear to be a black unofficial issue but you should be able to tell by the matrix on the run out groove. The details are on discogs of what you need to look for. The sleeves of unofficial stuff tends to be made of cheaper card that's grey on the inside and often any small text is broken up with little bits missing or blurry. You need an eye for detail sometimes with these things.  You can often find good stuff at record fairs but if its too good to be true then you know what they say. Good luck, hope it's the real deal.

edited October 2022
    FR181798 said:
    Robbert said:
    Don't know much about this album but the majority of unofficial copies of this look like they are on coloured vinyl. There does appear to be a black unofficial issue but you should be able to tell by the matrix on the run out groove. The details are on discogs of what you need to look for. The sleeves of unofficial stuff tends to be made of cheaper card that's grey on the inside and often any small text is broken up with little bits missing or blurry. You need an eye for detail sometimes with these things.  You can often find good stuff at record fairs but if its too good to be true then you know what they say. Good luck, hope it's the real deal.

Yeah i really think its the real deal. The sleeve is good quality stuff. The vinyl itself is black with a little bit of the cover around the needle opening. I googled the vinyl and its cover and looked for it on Discogs, i cant find any weird things
    I know there is the 2020 Europe (black/red)version, but again on the back one i bought says 2011
    Post edited by Robbert on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    Robbert said:
    FR181798 said:
    Robbert said:

Yeah i really think its the real deal. The sleeve is good quality stuff. The vinyl itself is black with a little bit of the cover around the needle opening. I googled the vinyl and its cover and looked for it on Discogs, i cant find any weird things
    I know there is the 2020 Europe (black/red)version, but again on the back one i bought says 2011

official/unofficial has its importance for sure, but above all else HOW DOES IT SOUND!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Robbert said:
    FR181798 said:
    Robbert said:

official/unofficial has its importance for sure, but above all else HOW DOES IT SOUND!!!!!
    Its great!!
    Robbert said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Robbert said:
    FR181798 said:
    Robbert said:

Its great!!

good to hear. been on my radar for a minute..

not hopeful for an official reissue. given some of the contention between the band and his wife over social media accounts and vault material.

solo work is completely within her control.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I've been known to get my phone out at Record Fairs, in record shops and even in charity shops etc to check what I'm buying and if the price is about right. Don't know if that is frowned upon or not but a quick check on discogs is often useful. The info on discogs is pretty good. I would never say its 100% right on everything. There's often represses that aren't really accounted for on some releases. A few times I know for a fact that I bought a few records where the timelines don't match the entries.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited October 2022
    Went and saw AWOLNATION this weekend and picked up Megalythic symphony 10yr anniversary, Angel Miners and Lightning Riders and My Echo myShadow.

Also bought the opening band Mysterines album.  They were funny and good.  Check them out.  Just found out that the band Badflower was the band I saw that was funny, not the Mysterines..  So check out Badflower.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2022
    hrd2imgn said:
    Head Like a Hole was a game changer for me.  Same with Evenflow
    When I was 12 I got my first introduction to industrial when I saw the video for Skinny Puppy’s “Dig It”.  I wouldn’t say that was a game changer for me, as I didn’t particularly “get it” in 1986 as teenage angst hadn’t kicked in yet. 
    But I was aware of this crazy new style of music and was always drawn to stuff most others my age weren’t. 

The album that really got me into the industrial scene was Ministry’s The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste record which came out in ‘89 I think. When I heard “So What” I flipped out. Still a great song. 

Then discovered KMFDM…. Wow. 

Not a NIN hater, but all 3 of those bands listed above were better imo
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    Yes^^loved dig it (that vid is just a zombie crawling around I think) Anthology is a great cd by skinny puppy. Not sure I'd dig it so much anymore. Ministry blew me away. Twitch is lightweight but I enjoyed it. Then they went heavy and bit into them hard. Very cool. Kmfdm was a big part of my past too.  What am I getting at...Don't know.

STIGMATTTTTTAAAA!!!!!!!

Love you all
  • Loujoe said:
    Yes^^loved dig it (that vid is just a zombie crawling around I think) Anthology is a great cd by skinny puppy. Not sure I'd dig it so much anymore. Ministry blew me away. Twitch is lightweight but I enjoyed it. Then they went heavy and bit into them hard. Very cool. Kmfdm was a big part of my past too.  What am I getting at...Don't know.

STIGMATTTTTTAAAA!!!!!!!

Love you all
    Killing Mother Fuckin Depeche Mode. 

Rock on Lou
    ^Did not know that's what it stood for. Shheeesh. I know nothing!  Saw kmfdm at an old church club in nyc. They had this supergroup industrial band pigface. Saw them at city gardens in trenton nj. Small club. The show was a bit forgetful or maybe because it was so long ago. Consolidated was a good band also Meat Beat Manifesto. Industrial music really didn't stick. A blip in the history of music. Imo
  • Loujoe said:
    ^Did not know that's what it stood for. Shheeesh. I know nothing!  Saw kmfdm at an old church club in nyc. They had this supergroup industrial band pigface. Saw them at city gardens in trenton nj. Small club. The show was a bit forgetful or maybe because it was so long ago. Consolidated was a good band also Meat Beat Manifesto. Industrial music really didn't stick. A blip in the history of music. Imo
    It actually doesn’t. That’s the joke they came up with to explain it to Americans on their first tour and in the lyric on the song Kunst

It actually stands for Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid, loosely translated by the band as "no pity for the majority"