The Food Thread

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Wow nicely done. Looks amazing. 
  • Damn that looks good
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,596
    eddiec said:
    So my fish guy started getting live eels from some Lough in the North. After some research, (mainly a bunch of YouTube videos on Japanese eel masters), I decided to go for it. I went and picked up some bricks to try and turn my BBQ into something that resembles a Hibachi. So here's my first attempt at Unagi Don.

Darn. That looks great. I can catch eels but they are smaller than that. If i get a big one i may hit you up for more details. Way to go!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The Asian market in Philly that I go to often has live eels. I don’t think they’re that big either and they didn’t have them when I was there today. Checked because of this post. I don’t think I could do it. Snakes freak me the fuck out and those are way too close. I’ll eat it, but I’m not touching those fuckers
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited September 2022
    Loujoe said:
    eddiec said:
    So my fish guy started getting live eels from some Lough in the North. After some research, (mainly a bunch of YouTube videos on Japanese eel masters), I decided to go for it. I went and picked up some bricks to try and turn my BBQ into something that resembles a Hibachi. So here's my first attempt at Unagi Don.

Darn. That looks great. I can catch eels but they are smaller than that. If i get a big one i may hit you up for more details. Way to go!

That was the bigger of the two. The other one was about half the size.
    The Asian market in Philly that I go to often has live eels. I don’t think they’re that big either and they didn’t have them when I was there today. Checked because of this post. I don’t think I could do it. Snakes freak me the fuck out and those are way too close. I’ll eat it, but I’m not touching those fuckers

They are pretty nasty, I won't lie. I asked my fish guy to prepare them- butterflied with spine removed. Here's a pic before I sliced them up and skewered them:

Post edited by eddiec on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Good striper bait LOL.
    released this. Not the right size. Prob would have let it go anyway. 

charred pepper salsa. Using up the harvest. Those burnt up peppers add an awesome layer of flavor.
    Any suggestions as to what to cook with salsa? Thought about dumping some on roasting chicken. There is sugar in it, so not sure if it will burn.
    Loujoe said:
    Any suggestions as to what to cook with salsa? Thought about dumping some on roasting chicken. There is sugar in it, so not sure if it will burn.

Huevos rancheros. Chilaquiles. Enchiladas. 
    Loujoe said:
    charred pepper salsa. Using up the harvest. Those burnt up peppers add an awesome layer of flavor.
    Nice!! I love homemade salsa. 
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Little Kickstart to the 9:30 London game....Happy Sunday!
    edited October 2022
    Little Kickstart to the 9:30 London game....Happy Sunday!
    That looks delicious. 
    Love that griddle.

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2022
    Get_Right said:
    Love that griddle.

Don't use it enough, usually only on the weekends. Tend to use my grill more. Highly recommend, however. The cheesesteaks come out amazing.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Tuscan night! Ribollita and some delicious Chianti Classico from my Italy wine guy

edited October 2022
    Get_Right said:
    Love that griddle.

Don't use it enough, usually only on the weekends. Tend to use my grill more. Highly recommend, however. The cheesesteaks come out amazing.

Common problem with all cooking tools.  Have a Weber smokey mountain and maybe use it three times a year.  Criminal.
    hobo sausage and peppers. Darn good

I am making a spicy vegetarian coconut curry with potatoes, carrots, peas, cauliflower, and peppers. I found the recipe in this old 1970s vegetarian cookbook. It still has to simmer for a while so the veggies get soft, but so far it smells really good. 
    If it can make cauliflower smell good nice work. I love those older cookbooks. I think I have one from 1930s with beaver recipe. Turtle stew. Lot's of things I'll never cook. Fun to pull more familiar recipes out of there.  I'm not trapping any beaver or killing a turtle. Today anyway.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Get_Right said:
    Love that griddle.

made right up the road in Logan.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    GlowGirl said:

I am making a spicy vegetarian coconut curry with potatoes, carrots, peas, cauliflower, and peppers. I found the recipe in this old 1970s vegetarian cookbook. It still has to simmer for a while so the veggies get soft, but so far it smells really good. 
    Looks really good no rice with it? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    GlowGirl said:

I’m not a huge fan of rice - especially with potatoes. Lots of carbs. But I did make some whole grain couscous to put some over. It was ok. I like it better without. But the curry itself came out great. Half of it is now in my freezer. 
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

I’m not a huge fan of rice - especially with potatoes. Lots of carbs. But I did make some whole grain couscous to put some over. It was ok. I like it better without. But the curry itself came out great. Half of it is now in my freezer. 
    Oh ok I didn’t realize it had potatoes good call on the couscous! 
    Home made pumpkin cheese cake tart’s & apple turnovers just came out of oven the smell is unrivaled! 
    Home made pumpkin cheese cake tart’s & apple turnovers just came out of oven the smell is unrivaled! 
    Those look amazing. I am terrible at baking, but love desserts.

GlowGirl said:
    Those look amazing. I am terrible at baking, but love desserts.

Yess my wife can bake really good and these are delicious!