Fender Amps?

12346»

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Good advice.  I figured I might be overthinking things.  But figuring out amps takes lots of thinking.  I still think it is strange that they changed the speaker, scrubbed mention of the 100W version and stuck a different speaker in.  Maybe it is a supply chain issue, but the internet can only speculate.  Sounds like Mesa had to find a different transformer supplier as their main supplier went out of business.  I have yet to hear from my Sweetwater salesperson, but I think it is safe to assume the 40W version is standard now.

Mesa appears to be in transition right now.  Gibson bought them last year. 
  • KswheelerKswheeler Philadelphia Posts: 72

Just picked this relic bronco 
  • BO175983BO175983 Posts: 62
    Kswheeler said:

Just picked this relic bronco 
    Love the vintage tweed amps… how does it sound
  • KswheelerKswheeler Philadelphia Posts: 72
    Thing kicks for a solid state you can also use it as a cabinet head too which is cool 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I’ve been playing my LP through a Fender DeVille at rehearsals, and it sounds phenomenal. 

I’m looking into buying one for my practice space. Anybody have any experience with these? I’m thinking it might be a bit much for a bedroom, but I really love the way it sounds. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    dankind said:
    I’ve been playing my LP through a Fender DeVille at rehearsals, and it sounds phenomenal. 

I’m looking into buying one for my practice space. Anybody have any experience with these? I’m thinking it might be a bit much for a bedroom, but I really love the way it sounds. 
    Blues Jr is not much different & only 15w but still with some kick, great amp
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i had a blues jr and did not love it. ended up trading it in towards one of the wine red princeton reverbs. i love that princeton so much.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    i had a blues jr and did not love it. ended up trading it in towards one of the wine red princeton reverbs. i love that princeton so much.

I finally bit the bullet and bought (and just set up!) a '65 Princeton reissue.  Next to it (behind and to the left) is also a Bugera PS1 attenuator to keep my ears from exploding.  I wish the amp's speaker wire going from the amp to the Bugera were a bit longer so I could face the attenuator out.  It barely reaches as is.
    Everything seems to work fine but I'm almost thinking I put the cart before the horse.  Both of my my electric guitars have dual humbuckers and I'm thinking this amp would sound better with single coil pickups.  With what I have, the amp has more "boom" than I would like.  Maybe time to re-visit that desire for a tele.  I really wanted this to sound better with the guitars I have.  But maybe I just don't have it dialed in right yet.
    IMG

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    brianlux said:

I finally bit the bullet and bought (and just set up!) a '65 Princeton reissue.  Next to it (behind and to the left) is also a Bugera PS1 attenuator to keep my ears from exploding.  I wish the amp's speaker wire going from the amp to the Bugera were a bit longer so I could face the attenuator out.  It barely reaches as is.
    Everything seems to work fine but I'm almost thinking I put the cart before the horse.  Both of my my electric guitars have dual humbuckers and I'm thinking this amp would sound better with single coil pickups.  With what I have, the amp has more "boom" than I would like.  Maybe time to re-visit that desire for a tele.  I really wanted this to sound better with the guitars I have.  But maybe I just don't have it dialed in right yet.
    IMG

i know we have been talking about this, but another idea besides using a single coil guitar would be to just remove the attenuator. attenuators have been known to knock off high end so the amp can sound a little dark or muddier than usual. to compensate for this, many attenuators have an option to boost treble and if you do that it can be kind of ice picky and harsh. this happens with my vintage marshall with a thd hot plate. take the treble boost off and it is too muddy, put it back in and it can be too bright depending on what guitar i use.

i'd try a single coil guitar, and making sure you are running the amp on a cleaner setting. distortion and high amounts of reverb can sound pretty bad at times. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited September 2022
    brianlux said:

IMG

i know we have been talking about this, but another idea besides using a single coil guitar would be to just remove the attenuator. attenuators have been known to knock off high end so the amp can sound a little dark or muddier than usual. to compensate for this, many attenuators have an option to boost treble and if you do that it can be kind of ice picky and harsh. this happens with my vintage marshall with a thd hot plate. take the treble boost off and it is too muddy, put it back in and it can be too bright depending on what guitar i use.

i'd try a single coil guitar, and making sure you are running the amp on a cleaner setting. distortion and high amounts of reverb can sound pretty bad at times. 

More good advice, thanks man! 
    The attenuator is a plug in add on that bought separately and I'm thinking of taking your advice and doing without it.  It's easy to plug in and out but since the amp itself has not overdrive or gain channel, I'm thinking if I want to add any grit,  I'd do better adding pedals as you suggested elsewhere. 
    And yeah, I'm actually kind appreciating having the motivation to get a single coil guitar- probably a Tele.  I mean, hey, you can't have too many guitars, right? :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.