I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Steely Dan catalog reissued on UHQR is a bombshell announcement in the vinyl community.  There's no other way to put it.  Everything is mastered directly from the original tapes, pure analog signal.  The only exceptions are Aja and Gaucho which are being done from 'safety' secondary copies, but still pure analog.  The Dan is the perfect vinyl band and AP is the perfect record pressing organization.  It simply does not get any better than this.  

Thank you Cropduster for the head's up.  

https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&artistid=3361&labelid=507&CategoryID=5 
    It wouldn't surprise me if the 'second' big announcement slated for next month is reissuing Zeppelin in the same way.  Classic records are considered the very best Zeppelin on vinyl and go for outrageous money.  AP bought Classic records several years ago, so maybe this is next big one.  In Chad's message on You Tube, he said the most sought after vinyl catalogs are Zepp, Beatles, Floyd and the Dan.  So I bet it's one of the other three.  

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mrussel1 said:
    It wouldn't surprise me if the 'second' big announcement slated for next month is reissuing Zeppelin in the same way.  Classic records are considered the very best Zeppelin on vinyl and go for outrageous money.  AP bought Classic records several years ago, so maybe this is next big one.  In Chad's message on You Tube, he said the most sought after vinyl catalogs are Zepp, Beatles, Floyd and the Dan.  So I bet it's one of the other three.  
    Hasn't Page been keeping the catalogs going by reissuing these things?  Or were these not ever from direct tapes?  I bought Zep2 box set a bit ago and it was wonderful.  Never bothered to see how it was mastered though.
    mrussel1 said:
    Hasn't Page been keeping the catalogs going by reissuing these things?  Or were these not ever from direct tapes?  I bought Zep2 box set a bit ago and it was wonderful.  Never bothered to see how it was mastered though.
    I believe all of that zep that Page remastered was digital.  
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited September 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    Steely Dan catalog reissued on UHQR is a bombshell announcement in the vinyl community.  There's no other way to put it.  Everything is mastered directly from the original tapes, pure analog signal.  The only exceptions are Aja and Gaucho which are being done from 'safety' secondary copies, but still pure analog.  The Dan is the perfect vinyl band and AP is the perfect record pressing organization.  It simply does not get any better than this.  

https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&artistid=3361&labelid=507&CategoryID=5 
    Just got off the phone with them.

1. don’t order separately one shipping charge covers all preorders even with different release dates (they ship when available). I was afraid they would hold them into one shipment, that’s not the case 
    2. Don’t make more than 6 orders in a day as they lock your account.  This was 7 different releases and I initially ordered them as separate orders and I’m locked out for 24 hours before I could get the last one 

cancelled them all and starting over in the morning when my acoustic sounds “time out” is over.  I wasn’t even trying to order multiple copies either, just one copy of each 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    mrussel1 said:

1. don’t order separately one shipping charge covers all preorders even with different release dates (they ship when available). I was afraid they would hold them into one shipment, that’s not the case 
    2. Don’t make more than 6 orders in a day as they lock your account.  This was 7 different releases and I initially ordered them as separate orders and I’m locked out for 24 hours before I could get the last one 

cancelled them all and starting over in the morning when my acoustic sounds “time out” is over.  I wasn’t even trying to order multiple copies either, just one copy of each 
    Mine kept crapping out even though the orders were going through.  I called and they are cancelling the other two.  I'm also in time out.  
    edited September 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Mine kept crapping out even though the orders were going through.  I called and they are cancelling the other two.  I'm also in time out.  
    To me this needs to have an all 7 option in a really big single box not 7 individual ones in order to save space. Plus it’s kind of a set anyway.  7 UHQR’s will take up an entire shelf.

their individual boxes are still way better than one steps though 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

To me this needs to have an all 7 option in a really big single box not 7 individual ones in order to save space. Plus it’s kind of a set anyway.  7 UHQR’s will take up an entire shelf.

I don't know.  The Tom Petty album collections boxes were too big and too tight.  I had to take those out becuase of that and they didn't fit on the shelf So I actually don't mind the UHQR because at least they are not too tall for your standard 13" shelf.  Plus since they have the gatefold, you could always store the records as normal and put the boxes in your attic or closet.  

Is the Bill Evans one box with gatefolds or some other way?  My Janos Starker is three gatefolds in the box.  The box fits on my shelf, so that was a good size.  
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,596
    Recently picked up 2 against 1 on cd. Never heard that. What a great piece of work. 
    edited September 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I don't know.  The Tom Petty album collections boxes were too big and too tight.  I had to take those out becuase of that and they didn't fit on the shelf So I actually don't mind the UHQR because at least they are not too tall for your standard 13" shelf.  Plus since they have the gatefold, you could always store the records as normal and put the boxes in your attic or closet.  

Is the Bill Evans one box with gatefolds or some other way?  My Janos Starker is three gatefolds in the box.  The box fits on my shelf, so that was a good size.  
    It’s not gatefolds on the Evans apparently which sucks. 2 records in a sleeve and it’s a super tight box

i have no idea how I’m storing those unless it’s one record in the sleeve and one in the back but it’s not going back into the box that way 

pretty sure it’s the same as the AP individual riverside titles from a while back which are not gatefolds either. 

even with the tightest outer sleeve imaginable the AP UHQR’s don’t go back in the box either I’ve tried several combinations so at least they are in nice gatefold and I store them w/o the outer box.  As nice as AP boxes are they are a fraction of an inch too small if you want to both use the box and store the jacket properly 
    edited September 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    I’m guessing it’s 3 albums whatever it is.

hendrix is #5 in the series and Dan is 9-15. There is no 6,7,8

How many did classic do? I have no idea 
    edited September 2022
    mrussel1 said:

All of the studio releases, creating 48 records. Check it out.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/159639/Led_Zeppelin-Led_Zeppelin--Classic_Records_Road_Case-Preowned_Vinyl_Box_Sets

But good thought on the numbering.  However those could be one off as well, considering Chad said he had enough in the pipeline for ten years.  Considering his statement on the top four, I just feel like he was leading us into that presumption that it's either Zep, Beatles or Floyd.  Maybe I'm being too hopeful.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    edited September 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

All of the studio releases, creating 48 records. Check it out.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/159639/Led_Zeppelin-Led_Zeppelin--Classic_Records_Road_Case-Preowned_Vinyl_Box_Sets

But good thought on the numbering.  However those could be one off as well, considering Chad said he had enough in the pipeline for ten years.  Considering his statement on the top four, I just feel like he was leading us into that presumption that it's either Zep, Beatles or Floyd.  Maybe I'm being too hopeful.  
    That box is insane

I think zeppelin is happening either way.  If all he has to do is licence it I would assume that’s easier as they don’t even need the tapes, right?

If the money is right. So I wouldn’t hold my breath on 150 bucks being the ceiling on that. If the holdup isn’t money, I can’t imagine what it would be 

I think they have finally figured out the clarity vinyl or how to press it or whatever they have been doing to tweak it, so none of this quantity of releases surprises me. You can clearly tell the vinyl has gotten better over time so scaling up now seems logical 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    As a Non-Dan Fan the Acoustic Sounds announcement was lackluster. Also, I don't see Page relinquishing the right for anyone else to reissue their stuff while he is still alive.... Would love a repress of those Classic plates though.
  • IS THERE ANYTHING HOTTER THAN A SEVEN INCH SINGLE WITH A SPINE?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mrussel1 said:

This is the perfect band for an all analog re-issue campaign.  I just wish these weren't UHQR, I would have been happy with the $60 45rpm records.  Oh well, I might just purchase the $30 digital pressings that Ume are releasing.  Most of the original pressings I have sound pretty freaking good!  Man, I never thought new vinyl pressings would cost $175 with shipping. Ouch!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    edited September 2022
    mrussel1 said:

This is the perfect band for an all analog re-issue campaign.  I just wish these weren't UHQR, I would have been happy with the $60 45rpm records.  Oh well, I might just purchase the $30 digital pressings that Ume are releasing.  Most of the original pressings I have sound pretty freaking good!  Man, I never thought new vinyl pressings would cost $175 with shipping. Ouch!
    It’s the exact same price mofi charged for their UHQR’s in 1981 in 1981 dollars. 

expensive then, expensive now 

I totally agree they should do regular 45’s too. Shouldn’t have to be one or the other as not everyone even wants a UHQR and pressing 25k of them doesn’t make them collectible as it’s way too many. And FWIW the two non UHQR Dan albums are fantastic from AP. My guess is they are regular releases only because they aren’t AAA.

that seems like a dumb criteria for determining what gets a UHQR release and what doesn’t. As long as it’s disclosed.  
    mrussel1 said:

It’s the exact same price mofi charged for their UHQR’s in 1981 in 1981 dollars. 

expensive then, expensive now 

I totally agree they should do regular 45’s too. Shouldn’t have to be one or the other as not everyone even wants a UHQR and pressing 25k of them doesn’t make them collectible as it’s way too many. And FWIW the two non UHQR Dan albums are fantastic from AP. My guess is they are regular releases only because they aren’t AAA.

that seems like a dumb criteria for determining what gets a UHQR release and what doesn’t. As long as it’s disclosed.  
    My guess is they will do regular 45.  But there's no way you would release them together.  You need to soak up the high dollars first otherwise I may have gone for the 45's as well, and I'm a die hard SD fan.  
    MedozK said:
    As a Non-Dan Fan the Acoustic Sounds announcement was lackluster. Also, I don't see Page relinquishing the right for anyone else to reissue their stuff while he is still alive.... Would love a repress of those Classic plates though.
    Certainly Page would profit from this.  So that's really teh question.  He has the opportunity to make a new dollar on people that already own the reissues from a few years ago.  You can tap back into a market that you already tapped.  The general non-audiophile is going to go for the $30 reissue every day of the week, but audiophiles aren't exactly lining up to collect more of these zep reissues.  They are nothing special. 
    edited September 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Certainly Page would profit from this.  So that's really teh question.  He has the opportunity to make a new dollar on people that already own the reissues from a few years ago.  You can tap back into a market that you already tapped.  The general non-audiophile is going to go for the $30 reissue every day of the week, but audiophiles aren't exactly lining up to collect more of these zep reissues.  They are nothing special. 
    Yep

I have zero zeppelin on vinyl. I listen to them digitally but i have no interest in picking up any of the ones at my local shop or target or wherever . 

If I’m buying vinyl I want it to be great. That’s who the hypothetical AP release would appeal to. We aren’t buying the current ones anyway 

30 bucks for that seems not worth it. 

I didn’t have any Dan on vinyl before the latest release either. What was out there wasn’t great as far as I’m aware. I think the original TAN was one disc at 33 which is a lot of music for 2 sides. And the RSD was two discs which was better but also 33. Doesn’t have to be a Uhqr though 

vinyl for the sake of vinyl I got over once I bought a few Jazz albums released by DOL. flat out awful and they take up precious shelf space. Spending 20 bucks on those is highway robbery. I get the zeppelin reissues aren’t that bad, but i guess it’s the same principle with me as it’s not the release you would want to have. Just stick to streaming versions  in that case which are essentially free
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Yep

I have zero zeppelin on vinyl. I listen to them digitally but i have no interest in picking up any of the ones at my local shop or target or wherever . 

If I’m buying vinyl I want it to be great. That’s who the hypothetical AP release would appeal to. We aren’t buying the current ones anyway 

I didn’t have any Dan on vinyl before the latest release either. What was out there wasn’t great as far as I’m aware. I think the original TAN was one disc at 33 which is a lot of music for 2 sides. And the RSD was two discs which was better but also 33. Doesn’t have to be a Uhqr though 

vinyl for the sake of vinyl I got over once I bought a few Jazz albums released by DOL. flat out awful and they take up precious shelf space. Spending 20 bucks on those is highway robbery. I get the zeppelin reissues aren’t that bad, but i guess it’s the same principle with me as it’s not the release you would want to have. Just stick to streaming versions  in that case which are essentially free
    DOL is terrible. 

As far as SD, there are certain originals that are exceptional.  Aja AB-1060 is stunning.  I'm really curious what it will sound like on fresh vinyl. An original Gaucho is excellent too.  

Since you bought all these AP there's probably no reason to hunt originals,  but the Greatest Hits mastered by Bob Ludwig is absolutely worth seeking out.  There are a million out there so they are not expensive.  It's very,  very good though.  And nice to have around to jam the hits.
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Yep

DOL is terrible. 

As far as SD, there are certain originals that are exceptional.  Aja AB-1060 is stunning.  I'm really curious what it will sound like on fresh vinyl. An original Gaucho is excellent too.  

Since you bought all these AP there's probably no reason to hunt originals,  but the Greatest Hits mastered by Bob Ludwig is absolutely worth seeking out.  There are a million out there so they are not expensive.  It's very,  very good though.  And nice to have around to jam the hits.
    The live stream from yesterday chad said there are a couple UHQR’s that are super limited and will sell out in 30 minutes. It’s a deal that was made pre pandemic and the deal requires the small numbers  

coincidentally they released 3 Pink Floyd albums on SACD and there are 3 gaps in the UHQR series 

whatever it is it seems the limited nature of these is because it was part of a larger deal not a full agreement to produce a ton specifically on vinyl. 

this is separate from big announcement #2

fun to speculate in any care.  Pink Floyd does fit that narrative 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Yep

DOL is terrible. 

Agreed.  I definitely avoid DOL. 
    I do have one DOL and it was a total waste of money.  Some years ago, my wife and I were in another town and we saw this cool looking record store and went in to check it out.  I made the mistake of doing something I very rarely do- I made an impulse purchase, in this rare case, a purchase of a new copy of this record:

Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Live At Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA October 1st 1994

Neil Young - Live At Shoreline Amphitheatre Mountain View CA October 1st 1994 album cover
    Label:DOL – DOR2136H
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Unofficial Release, Stereo, 180gr, Green Translucent
    Released:2020
    Genre:Rock
    Style:Classic Rock

I've listened to it once and that's all it took to realize I had wasted my money.  The pressing is mediocre at best and the performances are totally lackluster and it's mostly Neil, very little Crazy Horse.  I've only kept it for two reasons- 1) because otherwise that was a wonderful day and we had a great time and 2) as a reminder to NOT impulse buy! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Yep

DOL is terrible. 

I do have one DOL and it was a total waste of money.  Some years ago, my wife and I were in another town and we saw this cool looking record store and went in to check it out.  I made the mistake of doing something I very rarely do- I made an impulse purchase, in this rare case, a purchase of a new copy of this record:

Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Live At Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA October 1st 1994

Neil Young - Live At Shoreline Amphitheatre Mountain View CA October 1st 1994 album cover
    Format:

I've listened to it once and that's all it took to realize I had wasted my money.  The pressing is mediocre at best and the performances are totally lackluster and it's mostly Neil, very little Crazy Horse.  I've only kept it for two reasons- 1) because otherwise that was a wonderful day and we had a great time and 2) as a reminder to NOT impulse buy! 
    I didn't know that DOL would do an unofficial boot. That's low

mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Yep

DOL is terrible. 

Format:

For sure- and I feel bad about having supported this kind of thing with my dollars.  Lesson learned!
    I'm also surprised Discogs allowed the listing and sale of this LP.  They usually do not allowing this sort of thing to be sold.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited September 2022
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Yep

DOL is terrible. 

Format:

For sure- and I feel bad about having supported this kind of thing with my dollars.  Lesson learned!
    I'm also surprised Discogs allowed the listing and sale of this LP.  They usually do not allowing this sort of thing to be sold.
    My understanding (and I have no knowledge of copyright law) is they operate in the grey area.
    legal but not authorised vs it being an illegal bootleg

Dol is freely for sale on discogs AFAIK. Something about the age of the recording and sourcing it via open license of something perhaps. Discogs says it’s a “public domain” reissue label 

in any case they aren’t getting access to tapes so it’s never going to sound good 
    not really sure how to classify them besides that they sound terrible 

you can’t however buy or sell the orange bootleg PJ Binaural, the colored Lost Dogs, the Benny bootleg. There has to be a difference.  

It’s also called a “European” company. It’s Russian, and claiming to be Europe based on a technicality of geography. That’s kind of another grey area 
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436

• Stop by Grimey's while Nashville. Great little shop. Picked up Leon Bridges' Good Thing. Fantastic soul.
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Yep

DOL is terrible. 

Format:

My understanding (and I have no knowledge of copyright law) is they operate in the grey area.
    legal but not authorised vs it being an illegal bootleg

Dol is freely for sale on discogs AFAIK. Something about the age of the recording and sourcing it via open license of something perhaps. Discogs says it’s a “public domain” reissue label 

in any case they aren’t getting access to tapes so it’s never going to sound good 
    not really sure how to classify them besides that they sound terrible 

you can’t however buy or sell the orange bootleg PJ Binaural, the colored Lost Dogs, the Benny bootleg. There has to be a difference.  

It’s also called a “European” company. It’s Russian, and claiming to be Europe based on a technicality of geography. That’s kind of another grey area 

Interesting info, thanks.

DOL, never again!