The Official 2023 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Stadiums in Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Philly, Atlanta, Houston.  I'm not a big fan of stadiums but would be the only way to satisfy demand. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    edited September 2022
    JojoRice said:
    Stadiums in Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Philly, Atlanta, Houston.  I'm not a big fan of stadiums but would be the only way to satisfy demand. 
    On the upside, I think big stadium destination shows are the most likely to have longer sets. If the band recorded albums more frequently and did arena tours w/ an opening act to promote those albums, and then hit stadiums with the "Evening with..." format on the off years, I would be a very satisfied fan.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    AlaG said:
    JojoRice said:
    On the upside, I think big stadium destination shows are the most likely to have longer sets. If the band recorded albums more frequently and did arena tours w/ an opening act to promote those albums, and then hit stadiums with the "Evening with..." format on the off years, I would be a very satisfied fan.
    No doubt.  I had a great time at the Wrigley shows in 18' and would up be up for knocking another ballpark off the list.  Just prefer the sound and closeness better with arenas.  Either way, we'll pack it out! 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Arenas>sheds>stadiums
    What exactly is a shed?? I just know it roughly translates to a barn which would be awesome but highly unlikely ;)
    Outdoor amphitheater 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    CopperTom said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Arenas>sheds>stadiums
    What exactly is a shed?? I just know it roughly translates to a barn which would be awesome but highly unlikely ;)
    Outdoor amphitheater 
    Ah, thanks! I wouldn’t want a whole tour with sheds then but Waldbühne is insanely nice and always has a good atmosphere 
  • JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Arenas>sheds>stadiums

An open air amphitheater. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfinity_Center_(Mansfield,_Massachusetts) 

https://www.google.com/search?q=great+woods+mansfield&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS927US927&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjGgNG4ppf6AhX8rIkEHX4RDEsQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1920&bih=969&dpr=1 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Next North American leg should be:
    Houston - New Orleans - Atlanta - Raleigh - DC/Balt- NY/Philly - Boston - Pitt - Ohio - Detroit - Chicago - Minny - Seattle
    CLEVELAND
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Arenas>sheds>stadiums

An open air amphitheater. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfinity_Center_(Mansfield,_Massachusetts) 

https://www.google.com/search?q=great+woods+mansfield&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS927US927&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjGgNG4ppf6AhX8rIkEHX4RDEsQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1920&bih=969&dpr=1 
    Thanks 😊 
  • D-Rod said:
    Has anybody mentioned that California is overdue for some shows? 
               freakin' LOL!!! 
          (  yet i keep wantin' to look out for 
             if there was perhaps gonna be 
             a reappearance of the Bridge School
              Benefit concerts, since the question/
               hints (?!?!) from Mr. Vedder's lips 
                during the Oakland '22 shows in May-
                 or was that wishful "reminiscing"? 
                  banter with those from the Bay Area?
                   +, familiar w/ those BSB shows? 

just wonderin' ...
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159
    edited September 2022
    The 2023 tour will be a tour for the next album as the gigaton era and the 25 song sets era concludes.

Bold 2023 rumor we can hope is true!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    They could satisfy demand if they tour like most other bands I’ve been fortunate to be a fan of. Tour the US when you are ready to play 25 shows. If need be, take a year off and play a huge country like the US when you are ready to do it right. In the meantime, Australia and NZ have waited a long time, and their combined population is tiny compared to the big draw regions. So if only a handful of shows is all that can be done, that’s a great spot for 2023.

Stadiums and sheds are horrible for PJ shows for 80% of the audience. There is something special when this band is surrounded by their fans. When they are not, like at stadiums and sheds, something significant is missing.

I was lucky to be in the Camden pit, and it was a great show, but most of the space near Pearl Jam was empty, no wing seats, no side seats, no rear seats, and I couldn’t feel the emotion of the vast majority of the crowd , which was like a mile away from the band. Could not even hear them. Yes I was  on top of the PA, but at a 360 degree arena show, so many fans are engaged with the band and the energy is unmatched

If 2022 has proven anything, there are sections of the US and world that want PJ shows much more than others. There were many shows that were easy tickets. So why would stadiums be needed if they played the amount of shows that match the location of the fan base. For once, schedule shows with customer service in mind. It would be sad to skip Fenway, but for many of us, it is a horrible venue for rock shows, as are almost all stadiums.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    The 2023 tour will be a tour for the next album as the gigaton era and the 25 song sets era concludes.

Gigaton era being over makes me sad. I feel like they barely toured it, and they were over most of the songs by the time they got to play them live. It’s a great album. I feel like we missed out on what would have been a great, energized album tour in 2020. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • They could satisfy demand if they tour like most other bands I’ve been fortunate to be a fan of. Tour the US when you are ready to play 25 shows. If need be, take a year off and play a huge country like the US when you are ready to do it right. In the meantime, Australia and NZ have waited a long time, and their combined population is tiny compared to the big draw regions. So if only a handful of shows is all that can be done, that’s a great spot for 2023.

Stadiums and sheds are horrible for PJ shows for 80% of the audience. There is something special when this band is surrounded by their fans. When they are not, like at stadiums and sheds, something significant is missing.

I was lucky to be in the Camden pit, and it was a great show, but most of the space near Pearl Jam was empty, no wing seats, no side seats, no rear seats, and I couldn’t feel the emotion of the vast majority of the crowd , which was like a mile away from the band. Could not even hear them. Yes I was  on top of the PA, but at a 360 degree arena show, so many fans are engaged with the band and the energy is unmatched

If 2022 has proven anything, there are sections of the US and world that want PJ shows much more than others. There were many shows that were easy tickets. So why would stadiums be needed if they played the amount of shows that match the location of the fan base. For once, schedule shows with customer service in mind. It would be sad to skip Fenway, but for many of us, it is a horrible venue for rock shows, as are almost all stadiums.

If they didn't hit California so much... Fresno? Really?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • NEweather said:
    D-Rod said:
    Has anybody mentioned that California is overdue for some shows? 
               freakin' LOL!!! 
          (  yet i keep wantin' to look out for 
             if there was perhaps gonna be 
             a reappearance of the Bridge School
              Benefit concerts, since the question/
               hints (?!?!) from Mr. Vedder's lips 
                during the Oakland '22 shows in May-
                 or was that wishful "reminiscing"? 
                  banter with those from the Bay Area?
                   +, familiar w/ those BSB shows? 

just wonderin' ...

Not this year. Neil said he doesn't want to expose the kids to COVID.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Neil doesn’t want to do anything.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited September 2022
    PJ will probably do stadiums. There's too much money to be made for such little work. At this point in their career the band is a massive capitalist venture and the guys are old. 

Still love them more than just about any other band, but call it what it is. :)
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    AlaG said:
    JojoRice said:
    Switch Houston for AT&T Stadium in Dallas. + DFW is a bigger "Hub" airport. 

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited September 2022
    A show at an airport?

PEARLJAMSTOCK!

Three days of Peace, Love and Pearl Jam!

(PJ20 was two nights...come on...make it happen.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • JABKJABK Finland Posts: 293
    fl247556 said:
    It will be nice to do the Vienna, Prague and Amsterdam revange.. and add Portugal, Spain and Ireland for exemple..
    HEAR HEAR!!!
    JABK said:
    fl247556 said:
    It will be nice to do the Vienna, Prague and Amsterdam revange.. and add Portugal, Spain and Ireland for exemple..
    HEAR HEAR!!!
    Yes please :)
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    PJ will probably do stadiums. There's too much money to be made for such little work. At this point in their career the band is a massive capitalist venture and the guys are old. 

Still love them more than just about any other band, but call it what it is. :)

Painful to say but will they fill stadiums outside of their 2 hometowns and the 3 major markets in the northeast, without excessive traveling by fan club members? Maybe? 

If the goal is to draw fans from around the US to travel to fill a handful of stadiums, maybe they should be considering the environmental impact of all that travel, and wait to tour the US when they can do a proper tour that fairly hits all the major markets in 2 or 3 legs.

At least one more "old fashioned" full US Tour please before calling it quits. Its been ten years. If they need to charge a little more to make the economics work so be it, worth every dollar to see them at a 360 arena show.

• The 2023 tour will be a tour for the next album as the gigaton era and the 25 song sets era concludes.

Gigaton era being over makes me sad. I feel like they barely toured it, and they were over most of the songs by the time they got to play them live. It’s a great album. I feel like we missed out on what would have been a great, energized album tour in 2020. 
    100% agreed. To each their own and all, but I'm kind of amazed how many folks on here shit talk Gigaton. It's a really solid record, especially for a band 30 years in.

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,639

100% agreed. To each their own and all, but I'm kind of amazed how many folks on here shit talk Gigaton. It's a really solid record, especially for a band 30 years in.

Everyone’s different. I love LB and that gets dragged through the mud here. I just can’t get into gigaton. I’m glad it was kept to minimum during my two shows and forever grateful that I didn’t get Buckle Up, Alright and River Cross. Just my opinion. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

Yeah, I wish I had gotten to hear more of it. Only four songs in two shows - Alright, Who Ever Said, DOTC twice and 7 O'clock twice. Don't really have a feel for any of these songs live yet. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    JimmyV said:

Yeah, I wish I had gotten to hear more of it. Only four songs in two shows - Alright, Who Ever Said, DOTC twice and 7 O'clock twice. Don't really have a feel for any of these songs live yet. 
    I really like the album but I don’t think most of the songs play well live. DOTC and 7 o’clock just seem to kill the vibe even though they are great songs 
  • biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    I'm still thinking it will be a close-to-home year. Seattle, Gorge, Portland, Vancouver maybe.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Give me Telluride and/or Red Rocks and the Gorge please. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327
    edited September 2022

I'm in the opposite boat. I can't wait for the Gigaton era to be over. I actually dig the album and have listened to it a lot. For me, I just associate the gigaton era with the pandemic, canceled shows, the shorter sets, the craze in getting tickets to certain shows (Baltimore, Nashville, MSG), etc... I said to a friend at one point during the first leg of the tour that this tour seemed to have been cursed from the get go. Ready for a reset even if that means fewer (and stadium) shows in 2023 but I'm sure that will be a very unpopular opinion around here.
  • Seeing Pearl Jam at least once a year should be a constitutional right. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,159

I'm in the opposite boat. I can't wait for the Gigaton era to be over. I actually dig the album and have listened to it a lot. For me, I just associate the gigaton era with the pandemic, canceled shows, the shorter sets, the craze in getting tickets to certain shows (Baltimore, Nashville, MSG), etc... I said to a friend at one point during the first leg of the tour that this tour seemed to have been cursed from the get go. Ready for a reset even if that means fewer (and stadium) shows in 2023 but I'm sure that will be a very unpopular opinion around here.
    All of this. Love the album but it's a cursed thing.

Let's get back to shows that are less static where anything can happen and longer sets. A new album and stadiums is the way to proceed.