Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    sorry, I didn't ignore it, I accepted it but just didn't express that. 

as cynical as this might sound, I've grown accustomed to inflammatory headlines, from all sides. Should we be comfortable with it? No, but I don't know how it changes. it just is what it is. 
    Thanks for acknowledging that, I do appreciate that.

I haven’t given much thought about how to change the headlines. A first thought is vote with our eyes and our dollars by not consuming the product, however I think that would ultimately leave people less informed (a concept I just can’t agree with, even if a bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, lol). I’d be incredibly leery of having any government regulate the media, but if they did maybe a push for truth in advertising as well.

The only other idea off the top of my head is to go old school with a letter writing campaign and hope that we’re heard. Unfortunately I just don’t see anything changing anytime soon given how the media marketplace works today (news is entertainment, if it bleeds it leads).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    And another example today of shoddy journalism, wouldn’t let PP finish his statement. And apparently afterwards David Akin told one of PP’s staffers that the man can go fuck himself. What professionalism!

I honestly can’t recall the press being this openly rude to any of the other leaders but as always am open to being corrected. The next 3 years will be entertaining if nothing else, I suppose.

https://youtu.be/gvspkwxCJDA

https://mobile.twitter.com/anthony__koch/status/1569765753150373888

Actually, having read the staffer’s tweet, it’s even worse.

Edit: Akin apologized on twitter but I don’t think he sees the irony (or whatever it is) of his last sentence given how often Trudeau isn’t called on his non-answers. I honestly don’t know what possessed him to think what he was doing was professional or appropriate. He’s the press, not a protester.

Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    And another example today of shoddy journalism, wouldn’t let PP finish his statement. And apparently afterwards David Akin told one of PP’s staffers that the man can go fuck himself. What professionalism!

I honestly can’t recall the press being this openly rude to any of the other leaders but as always am open to being corrected. The next 3 years will be entertaining if nothing else, I suppose.

Edit: Akin apologized on twitter but I don’t think he sees the irony (or whatever it is) of his last sentence given how often Trudeau isn’t called on his non-answers. I honestly don’t know what possessed him to think what he was doing was professional or appropriate. He’s the press, not a protester.

This was mentioned in a political pundit round table... and while you're not wrong about Trudeau and just about every politician giving end around answers to most questions...  the issue David Akin had was that as the new leader of the opposition he hasn't opened to the press for a conference or question period which according to those in the journalism field... is unheard of.

Apparently it's extremely unusual for a new opposition leader to not hold a full press conference and I think Akin was upset(?) for some reason about that. 

Now that PP is the opposition leader... he has a lot to answer for to the general public... not just the Conservative caucus. Points to Akin for admitting he was wrong... Now for PP to start answering questions. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Does anyone here pay for the Toronto Star? Today they're running a headline that is incredibly troubling on it's surface,  apparently Trudeau is saying he won't leave the country in Poilievre's hands.  I can only read the first two paragraphs which don't elaborate on what he means. 

Seriously,  what the fuck does he mean by that?  Does he even have a basic understanding of our democracy? 
    And this good people... is what's wrong with news today lol 

Chantal Hebert is a veteran political columnist and a she absolutely leans left. I wouldn't go far to call her outright biased... I've seen and heard her many times critique Trudeau.  That said, she knows her shit. Knows her history and has extremely good takes on Canadian politics. 

But that's the rub.. these are HER takes.  HER opinion.  Whether it's Toronto Star, Toronto Sun, or Fox News...   'News' 'Journalism' and 'Opinion' are all being poured into one pot and people can't tell one from another..  and I'm honestly not blaming the public here.  

Each one of those entities mentioned...  Star, Sun, and Fox News have one goal:  Profit.  

Now even though the article is within the 'Opinion' section of the News... it should either A: Not be there at all.  or B: come with a MASSIVE disclaimer. 

My take on this stuff is that.. perhaps generations ago there was a space for it... but with social media being what it is (Twitter etc.)  if we wanted Hebert's opinion... we could easily get it from the source.  If that makes sense. No need to have to decode the news if the news is news. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    I'll say this as well directed at Darth....    You've cited an example of a misleading headline from a left leaning (Liberal) news source. Granted and valid. 

We can either go down this path or you can take it from me...  this very much goes both ways.  In my personal opinion.. for every left leaning misleading headline from the Star... there are two to three right leaning misleading headlines from the Sun.   It absolutely goes both ways and what is worse... is we now have the likes of Rebel News and True North News who take this sort of misleading almost propaganda BS and super charge it to benefit the right (Cons / PPC).  

It's all not good. It should all stop.    I can only imagine John Lennon writing "Gimme Some Truth" in today's social media environment. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Parksy said:

This was mentioned in a political pundit round table... and while you're not wrong about Trudeau and just about every politician giving end around answers to most questions...  the issue David Akin had was that as the new leader of the opposition he hasn't opened to the press for a conference or question period which according to those in the journalism field... is unheard of.

Apparently it's extremely unusual for a new opposition leader to not hold a full press conference and I think Akin was upset(?) for some reason about that. 

Now that PP is the opposition leader... he has a lot to answer for to the general public... not just the Conservative caucus. Points to Akin for admitting he was wrong... Now for PP to start answering questions. 
    I hear what you’re saying regarding PP not following the tradition around press conferences, but that by no means excuses what Akin did (not that I think you’re excusing him).

I don’t recall his first press conference as Liberal leader, but it’s a regular occurrence now that Trudeau doesn’t take questions at his appearances. Personally I’d like all politicians to be more accessible to the press and give straight answers, but I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I was looking for links to post about this and the closest I could come was a column in the Calgary Sun. Every other source that came up on google were ones that would be (somewhat rightfully) dismissed out of hand here: Rebel News, True North and the like. (I also feel I found sufficient information for my initial post on this.)

It would be nice for Akin to directly apologize to PP (the apology’s more generally directed to the public as I read it), but I don’t expect it these days.

I don’t know if I need to add this clarification but I wouldn’t like (and haven’t liked because I think it has happened) it when Trudeau has encountered similar treatment from the press (protesters don’t count on this for me). I didn’t like it when they kept doing it to Trump south of the border as well. It’s 2 factors at play for me: professionalism and respect for the office (regardless who occupies it).

Edit to add the link from the Calgary Sun.

https://calgarysun.com/opinion/columnists/bell-poilievre-trudeau-square-off-and-thats-not-the-only-argy-bargy/wcm/af2da71b-f024-46fc-bf1b-18c5170bd592/amp/
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    I think the Calgary column does ask an interesting question: “…when did anger become a dirty word?”

I still listen to Rage Against The Machine regularly and agree with the lyric “Your anger is a gift.” Where it can become problematic is what is done with the anger. Anger into violence is wrong but anger into protest can be effective.

We just had a case (Edmonton guy and girls) where a display of anger has been called a threat to democracy (not looking to get back into the particulars of that one again, please).

In all honesty I don’t know what I intend with this post other than throwing out some food for thought, and I recognize that there really is no “correct” answer here.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I think anger is fine as long as it's directed at a cause, and maybe indirectly at a person/group at the root of that cause, but not directly at a person/group. Calling someone a traitor and a c*** while yelling at them while cornering them crosses that line, in my opinion. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I think the Calgary column does ask an interesting question: “…when did anger become a dirty word?”

I still listen to Rage Against The Machine regularly and agree with the lyric “Your anger is a gift.” Where it can become problematic is what is done with the anger. Anger into violence is wrong but anger into protest can be effective.

We just had a case (Edmonton guy and girls) where a display of anger has been called a threat to democracy (not looking to get back into the particulars of that one again, please).

In all honesty I don’t know what I intend with this post other than throwing out some food for thought, and I recognize that there really is no “correct” answer here.

This could become a very neat, albeit long debate lol

Perhaps my response will change later on and also would have been different years ago but today when talking about 'anger' amidst political discourse... now is very much not the time. 

I would say perhaps there is more need for peaceful passion if that makes sense. Passion over anger.  

I think anger in politics is what led to Jan 6th which led to death and scary risks of civil war in the US which I never thought could happen. 

I use myself as an example.. because at times  I  get heated.  If I personally voiced my displeasure with certain things the same way I saw other people voice their displeasure about things in the same angry way they do or did..... I don't see any good coming from that. 

I'm on record quite a bit here with regards to the hatred towards Liberals. The Edmonton folks are an example of that kind of anger. The 'F*CK TRUDEAU' flags... bumper stickers... middle finger bumper stickers.. are all products in my opinion of anger and frustration.  Facebook posts from some ... unhinged... I think is the right word... people. And they are angry.  

If anger becomes an accepted norm... and then all of a sudden that norm finds itself manifested on both sides...  it will only lead to chaos. 

Fuck Trudeau?  ->  No, Fuck You! 
    Give my team the middle finger?  ->  Here's a middle finger right back at ya.
    "YOU DON'T BELONG HERE, TRAITOR?"  ->    "THE FUCK!?  NO, YOU DON'T BELONG HERE." 
    'If you agree with Trudeau, then you can just go ahead and unfriend me.'  

Those examples are real life, actual things and they are generally expressed by those who find themselves on the 'right' side of the political spectrum.  If those on the 'left' side of the spectrum acted the same way, it would get real bad, real quick. Anger will only escalate. And I dunno...  perhaps I come off as 'soft' here but some don't seem to find the "F*ck Trudeau" flags overly offensive or angry....  I do.  The language, sharpness, public vulgarity...   it's odd to me that it's become normal because those terms and words are by it's nature rooted in anger and frustration. 

I say people should take their frustrations out at the ballot box or in Pearl Jam Politics forums  LOL 

Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    I think anger is fine as long as it's directed at a cause, and maybe indirectly at a person/group at the root of that cause, but not directly at a person/group. Calling someone a traitor and a c*** while yelling at them while cornering them crosses that line, in my opinion. 
    Parksy said:

This could become a very neat, albeit long debate lol

Perhaps my response will change later on and also would have been different years ago but today when talking about 'anger' amidst political discourse... now is very much not the time. 

I would say perhaps there is more need for peaceful passion if that makes sense. Passion over anger.  

I think anger in politics is what led to Jan 6th which led to death and scary risks of civil war in the US which I never thought could happen. 

I use myself as an example.. because at times  I  get heated.  If I personally voiced my displeasure with certain things the same way I saw other people voice their displeasure about things in the same angry way they do or did..... I don't see any good coming from that. 

I'm on record quite a bit here with regards to the hatred towards Liberals. The Edmonton folks are an example of that kind of anger. The 'F*CK TRUDEAU' flags... bumper stickers... middle finger bumper stickers.. are all products in my opinion of anger and frustration.  Facebook posts from some ... unhinged... I think is the right word... people. And they are angry.  

If anger becomes an accepted norm... and then all of a sudden that norm finds itself manifested on both sides...  it will only lead to chaos. 

Fuck Trudeau?  ->  No, Fuck You! 
    Give my team the middle finger?  ->  Here's a middle finger right back at ya.
    "YOU DON'T BELONG HERE, TRAITOR?"  ->    "THE FUCK!?  NO, YOU DON'T BELONG HERE." 
    'If you agree with Trudeau, then you can just go ahead and unfriend me.'  

Those examples are real life, actual things and they are generally expressed by those who find themselves on the 'right' side of the political spectrum.  If those on the 'left' side of the spectrum acted the same way, it would get real bad, real quick. Anger will only escalate. And I dunno...  perhaps I come off as 'soft' here but some don't seem to find the "F*ck Trudeau" flags overly offensive or angry....  I do.  The language, sharpness, public vulgarity...   it's odd to me that it's become normal because those terms and words are by it's nature rooted in anger and frustration. 

I say people should take their frustrations out at the ballot box or in Pearl Jam Politics forums  LOL 

Thanks for your thoughts, at the end of the day I suppose we’ll all have our own limits on what’s acceptable.

”Peaceful passion.” I really, really like that idea and am going to work to incorporate that into my own thinking, thanks. To me it can maybe also mean that one sublimates their anger into passion?

I do still leave room for peaceful protests outside of elections but otherwise completely after with your last sentence Parksy (not trying to say you’re against protest obviously).

• Options
    Sublimating anger into passion... very good term!  

I think of coaches... the difference between an 'angry' coach and a passionate coach. To each their own and I think there are certainly benefits to both schools of thought.  I prefer the passionate coach.  A Pete Carroll as opposed to a Mike Keenan. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Pierre is a career politician who has been collecting a six-figure salary on the public’s dime since he was 24, and he’s spent every minute of his time in office fighting against fair wages, good pensions and a better life for working people. He is not a worker, and he definitely doesn’t get what it means to be a member of the working class.

Pierre has spent his leadership campaign making the Conservative Party a cozier place for far-right extremists and conspiracy theorists in order to sell memberships. This isn’t your parents’ Conservative Party, or even Stephen Harper’s Conservative Party. It’s now Pierre’s Convoy Party of Canada.

His leadership will be a disaster for working people in Canada.”

https://cupe.ca/statement-cupe-pierre-poilievre-winning-conservative-party-leadership
  • Options
    sounds like a real man of the people! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    sounds like a real man of the people! 
    Looking at his wikipedia page and one of his only real jobs was a paperboy. 

• Options
    According to this article Koch misquoted Akin, and I don’t disbelieve that. However it’s a bit rich that this writer speaks against calling a press conference and not allowing questions, then fails to mention that this is a regular occurrence with the Prime Minister. Feels like a double standard to me, but I honestly can’t tell anymore.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/09/15/opinion/who-calls-press-conference-then-tells-reporters-no-questions-poilievre

• Options
    This is just comical. Apparently I annoyed someone and now CBC is moderating my every single comment, even though they’re perfectly reasonable posts. All done without notifying me or justifying why.

It may have been due to my last post yesterday where I suggested someone who was spamming a thread that they simply change the channel if they were so tired of coverage of the Queen’s death. Of course, that’s pure supposition since I’m not being given any reason.

I’m really starting to think their “moderation” is primarily user-driven which opens it up to uneven application/enforcement.

This experience reinforces my gratitude for the latitude we are given on this forum.

• Options
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Regarding the above video... this is my present issue with Pierre vs. the Liberals. 

Her talking points are:

Regarding inflation... every country in the G7 is facing it.  And Canada is in the best position.  To be fact checked.. but for now I'll take her word on that because she'd be stepping in shit if that wasn't true. And I do.. quite obviously know that every first world country is going through the same economic troubles due to the pandemic.  

His talking points are: 

Housing prices and grocery inflation is because of Liberal policies. 

Which Liberal policies?  Anyone here know what Pierre is talking about other than just throwing shit against a wall and hoping it sticks? I find it foolish to believe that this man thinks he can say this shit without people like me second guessing him. 

And all the while.. Jagmeet is now attacking Pierre for the same thing suggesting that before we blame the government for inflation and high prices... what about the corporations that are making record profits? And without seeming biased here...  that's a pretty gosh-darned good point.  Gas prices go up... and everyone blames the government while the energy companies are making billions. 

Until Pierre can actually cite the policies that the Liberals are enacting that make life harder for us and more expensive... I can't help but believe that he's full of shit and protecting corporate interests here...  which is historically what Cons do.  And at the same time, he is hoodwinking the public into thinking that the Liberals are the dark boogeyman in the corner stealing our money. 

Another interesting point with regards to Pierre's Cons....  yesterday a Caucus member of the Cons stood up and cited that 'Liberal Gatekeepers' are preventing more immigration and that regulations needed to be removed to allow more flowing immigration into the country.  That ought to sure win over the PPC vote. 

To be clear... if you follow Pierre and the Cons get used to that catch phrase "Gatekeepers."  Let's break this down.  He's referring to regulations.  

So they want less regulation for immigration and less regulation for home building.  But back to my original point.. which ones?  It can't be that hard to cite the actual regulations that are causing problems?  

"Liberal Gatekeepers are making it hard for young people to afford a home!" - Pierre

"Sounds right to me!." - The Dumbass.

"Why? And How? And how are you going to change that?" - Wishful Thinking. 

They (Cons) have no issue citing codes and laws when they want to bark about perceived threats to freedom of speech which are often completely overblown, wrong, and simple fear mongering. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    I wouldn't call myself a 'fan' of Sid.... but this is a rock solid message to the public with regards to partisan politics. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    I wouldn't call myself a 'fan' of Sid.... but this is a rock solid message to the public with regards to partisan politics. 
    100%. been saying this for years. YEARS. I've been a part of my wife's family since 2000. Her dad is a hard line NDP. no matter who. no matter what. federal, provincial, municipal. he is a very smart man. But I never understood that (worker's rights trumps all I suppose). He's also a deeply religious man, so I kind of equate it with that. He's willing to go down with the ship even if he disagrees with the captain. 

I get the feeling that some here think I am hardline liberal no matter what. I'm not. I've voted all parties (of course no Bloc). I vote platform. Not person or party. I voted Trudeau the first time. I voted Trudeau the second time. I voted against O'Toole and Singh the third time. 

Only time will tell what I'll vote the fourth time. 

all that being said. I had an argument with my wife about Trudeau's karaoke mess in London. She was all in favour of him having fun and partying with the locals. I said he was there representing Canada for the funeral for one of the longest reigning and most respected leaders of our time (no matter my issues with the Queen). He should have been reserved. He should have shown dignity. He wasn't there for a party. 

Had that been O'Toole or Polliviere, in my view, liberals would have torn them to shreds over it. If Trump had done something like that, again, same thing. 

Enough of the blind partisanship. Call it what it is. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Winnipeg mayoral candidate says Indigenous men are to blame for violence against Indigenous women. WOW. YOU DONE. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-mayoral-candidate-forum-1.6592621
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    Parksy said:
    Regarding the above video... this is my present issue with Pierre vs. the Liberals. 

Her talking points are:

Regarding inflation... every country in the G7 is facing it.  And Canada is in the best position.  To be fact checked.. but for now I'll take her word on that because she'd be stepping in shit if that wasn't true. And I do.. quite obviously know that every first world country is going through the same economic troubles due to the pandemic.  

His talking points are: 

Housing prices and grocery inflation is because of Liberal policies. 

Which Liberal policies?  Anyone here know what Pierre is talking about other than just throwing shit against a wall and hoping it sticks? I find it foolish to believe that this man thinks he can say this shit without people like me second guessing him. 

And all the while.. Jagmeet is now attacking Pierre for the same thing suggesting that before we blame the government for inflation and high prices... what about the corporations that are making record profits? And without seeming biased here...  that's a pretty gosh-darned good point.  Gas prices go up... and everyone blames the government while the energy companies are making billions. 

Until Pierre can actually cite the policies that the Liberals are enacting that make life harder for us and more expensive... I can't help but believe that he's full of shit and protecting corporate interests here...  which is historically what Cons do.  And at the same time, he is hoodwinking the public into thinking that the Liberals are the dark boogeyman in the corner stealing our money. 

Another interesting point with regards to Pierre's Cons....  yesterday a Caucus member of the Cons stood up and cited that 'Liberal Gatekeepers' are preventing more immigration and that regulations needed to be removed to allow more flowing immigration into the country.  That ought to sure win over the PPC vote. 

To be clear... if you follow Pierre and the Cons get used to that catch phrase "Gatekeepers."  Let's break this down.  He's referring to regulations.  

So they want less regulation for immigration and less regulation for home building.  But back to my original point.. which ones?  It can't be that hard to cite the actual regulations that are causing problems?  

"Liberal Gatekeepers are making it hard for young people to afford a home!" - Pierre

"Sounds right to me!." - The Dumbass.

"Why? And How? And how are you going to change that?" - Wishful Thinking. 

They (Cons) have no issue citing codes and laws when they want to bark about perceived threats to freedom of speech which are often completely overblown, wrong, and simple fear mongering. 

I totally agree with your take.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    100%. been saying this for years. YEARS. I've been a part of my wife's family since 2000. Her dad is a hard line NDP. no matter who. no matter what. federal, provincial, municipal. he is a very smart man. But I never understood that (worker's rights trumps all I suppose). He's also a deeply religious man, so I kind of equate it with that. He's willing to go down with the ship even if he disagrees with the captain. 

I get the feeling that some here think I am hardline liberal no matter what. I'm not. I've voted all parties (of course no Bloc). I vote platform. Not person or party. I voted Trudeau the first time. I voted Trudeau the second time. I voted against O'Toole and Singh the third time. 

Only time will tell what I'll vote the fourth time. 

all that being said. I had an argument with my wife about Trudeau's karaoke mess in London. She was all in favour of him having fun and partying with the locals. I said he was there representing Canada for the funeral for one of the longest reigning and most respected leaders of our time (no matter my issues with the Queen). He should have been reserved. He should have shown dignity. He wasn't there for a party. 

Had that been O'Toole or Polliviere, in my view, liberals would have torn them to shreds over it. If Trump had done something like that, again, same thing. 

Enough of the blind partisanship. Call it what it is. 
    100%
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,084
    Technically the immigration policy has helped push up real estate, because we haven't been able to keep up with building enough to keep up with the population increase (most of our infrastructure hasn't kept up with it).  That being said the ramped up immigration started under the Conservative Party (Liberal party continued to increase it).

Also a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.  We have a short of young people/workers/tax payers, and no one (not conservative,liberal, or NDP) has been able to come up with a better idea on how to keep the boat afloat.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Technically the immigration policy has helped push up real estate, because we haven't been able to keep up with building enough to keep up with the population increase (most of our infrastructure hasn't kept up with it).  That being said the ramped up immigration started under the Conservative Party (Liberal party continued to increase it).

Also a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.  We have a short of young people/workers/tax payers, and no one (not conservative,liberal, or NDP) has been able to come up with a better idea on how to keep the boat afloat.
    Absolutely correct.  the immigration/housing issue has been a main one for a while and you're exactly correct.  They are both connected. And if the problem was being caused by 5 pieces of a puzzle...  instead of getting together and resolving the puzzle, every party is focusing on the one piece that they can use against the other and bickering about it.  

Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcufc9sXS14

Lots to unpack with this one.  The back story here is that there is a transgender shop teacher at a high school in Oakville who either used or is still using very, very, very large prosthetic breasts during classes. 

I'm not 100% sure what to think about the teacher at this point.  I would love to get her point of view and what not, but that's none of my business in many ways.  My opinion here is that the teacher really really really ought to have known that this choice of hers would cause great disruption and distraction to the school and the teachers.  Transgender or not... that's just a stupid decision by a person of influence. 

That said... as we usher in an age of tolerance and acceptance we do in many ways need to get used to this.  As we navigate what's 'acceptable' we should be open to denying certain rights and freedoms as I've pointed out before. Where this falls...  I don't think we know yet. But I do know that if a teacher... gay, straight, male, female, trans were to attempt to run a classroom in their underwear... that would not be accepted. Why is that?  It's possible that when we debate the rationale behind that point, we might find similar rationale in arguing that a trans person should not be wearing those massive breasts in class. I don't know if that makes me sounds like an asshole... happy to receive feedback. 

With regards to the protesters.... Wow. Just wow. Obviously I don't agree with everything a lot of these morons are doing but what I found somewhat hilarious are the two male protesters against the 'fake news' and threatening the media.  That's not freedom.  Your freedom to stand on the sidewalk and shout stuff is the same freedom that allows the media to do what they're doing.  "Get out of here!"  "You don't belong here!"  "We don't want you here!" 

Freedom for me, not for thee.  And yes... these were indeed the same people who are Freedumb Convoy fanatics. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    those prosthetics are ridiculous
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    the school won't touch it due to human rights concerns. jeezus. so I can go to work with a gigantic dildo in my pants and have no fear of consequence?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD