I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    The latest pressing. It says Sterling in the runoff.  The only weirdness is Bob Dylan’s 115th dream is noisy.  I can live with that.  I wanted a mono but the good ones aren’t cheap.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    static111 said:
    The latest pressing. It says Sterling in the runoff.  The only weirdness is Bob Dylan’s 115th dream is noisy.  I can live with that.  I wanted a mono but the good ones aren’t cheap.

Nice! 
    I have yet to come across a copy of that album that I've kept.  Over the years I found two or three in thrift stores (but not in several years) that were cheap to too beater for my tastes that I sold, but have not come across an affordable early pressing or a decent reprint.  I had one re-issue that sounded like crap and sold it.  This album evades me for some reason. 
    Same with Blonde on Blonde although because I love that album so much I have hung on the the really crappy early 70s repressing that I have.  It's in great shape condition-wise, but a poor pressing.  For all I know, it never was pressed or mastered very well.  So frustrating!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 544
    Gov't Mule - Deep End Vol 1 & 2 and Deepest End Vol 1 & 2. Not sure how I missed those re-releases.

Also picked up Radio Jellyfish and Jellyfish - Live At Bogart's along with Jimi Hendrix - BBC Sessions.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
    It finally cooled off enough in the garage/bookstore to go out and clean this new arrival (well, sort of anyway, sans shirt with fan going).  Too late to play it, but I have a feeling I'm really going to like this.  I love all of Enwistle's Who stuff, so we'll see tomorrow!

John Entwistle – Smash Your Head Against The Wall

John Entwistle - Smash Your Head Against The Wall album cover
    Label:Decca – DL 79183
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Gatefold
    Released:1971
    Genre:Rock
    Style:Hard Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Classic Rock

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    ZoSoTim said:
    Gov't Mule - Deep End Vol 1 & 2 and Deepest End Vol 1 & 2. Not sure how I missed those re-releases.
    Where’d you find these?

Tedeschi Trucks I Am The Moon bundle showed up today. Yet to listen but I’m sure it sounds great. it’s a great simple package.
    I ordered the Mule albums through Amazon. If you want to be daring I found a site in Denmark that has them and was actually cheaper even with shipping costs but god knows how long that would take to get here and if something goes wrong it may be a crapshoot trying to get them replaced/refunded.
    Stumbled across the pre-orders for the Warren Haynes Live At Bonnaroo vinyl reissues coming soon. Stoked about that. It's a great acoustic set that I've been wanting on vinyl for a long time but the original release is stupid expensive. Looks like only 500 being pressed but I also saw one site listing their as clear vinyl so I ordered from each site. Every other place that has them listed doesn't mention anything about color vinyl.
    edited September 2022
    Ran across this one in a thrift store today and it was dirty!  I took a chance on it anyway and gave it a thorough cleaning and cleaned up and repaired the sleeve.  It came out looking pretty good and despite the occasional clicks and pops, actually sounds very good.  And, thankfully, some of my favorites on here sound great.  To top it all off... it's the glorious mono version!
    IMG

Post edited by brianlux on

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Just bought the score for A Nightmare on Elm Street part 5: The Dream Child. Quite expensive, but after this one my ”collection” will be complete (until a standalone release of the Wes Craven’s New Nightmare film score releases)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118

Nice score!
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2022
    BR2428 said:

Nice score!
    Another old MM aficionado!  I can’t wait to spin this gem. Wore out the CD back in the day.  
    BR2428 said:

Nice score!
    Another old MM aficionado!  I can’t wait to spin this gem. Wore out the CD back in the day.  
    I only have the CD. I get the urge to pick it up on vinyl every once in a while, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I miss these guys. I saw them back in 2012 when they released Western Magnetics. 
  • BR2428 said:
    BR2428 said:

Nice score!
    I only have the CD. I get the urge to pick it up on vinyl every once in a while, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I miss these guys. I saw them back in 2012 when they released Western Magnetics. 
    I saw them in ‘94 at a dance club in Edmonton called “The Morgue” of all places. I wasn’t blown away by 10 Speed for the most part and lost track of them. Have to admit, haven’t listened to anything they released since. Just looked at their Wikipedia page, I better revisit this catalogue, thanks for the heads up! 
    BR2428 said:
    BR2428 said:

Nice score!

I saw them in ‘94 at a dance club in Edmonton called “The Morgue” of all places. I wasn’t blown away by 10 Speed for the most part and lost track of them. Have to admit, haven’t listened to anything they released since. Just looked at their Wikipedia page, I better revisit this catalogue, thanks for the heads up! 
    The catalog is definitely worth checking out. Headfirst is probably my favorite.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2022
    BR2428 said:
    BR2428 said:
    BR2428 said:

Nice score!

The catalog is definitely worth checking out. Headfirst is probably my favorite.
    I revisited 10 Speed, it’s got a few good tracks.  Liked Western Magnetics far more than Headfirst, which sounded rather bland to me. I love Glazed because it was so different. 
     But that is the beauty of music, no one is wrong. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    BR2428 said:
    BR2428 said:
    BR2428 said:

Nice score!

I revisited 10 Speed, it’s got a few good tracks.  Liked Western Magnetics far more than Headfirst, which sounded rather bland to me. I love Glazed because it was so different. 
     But that is the beauty of music, no one is wrong. 
    I think the band might share your opinion of Headfirst. I seem to recall a podcast with one of them saying they were being pushed in that direction by the record label. 
  • brianlux said:
    Ran across this one in a thrift store today and it was dirty!  I took a chance on it anyway and gave it a thorough cleaning and cleaned up and repaired the sleeve.  It came out looking pretty good and despite the occasional clicks and pops, actually sounds very good.  And, thankfully, some of my favorites on here sound great.  To top it all off... it's the glorious mono version!
    IMG

Brian, who are these guys?  I don't recall ever hearing about THEM?!?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    brianlux said:
    IMG

Van Morrison's first band.  Songs like Gloria are THEM, not Van himself. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

TY I just looked them up.  I always knew Gloria as a VM song and not THEM.  Learn something new everyday!
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

TY I just looked them up.  I always knew Gloria as a VM song and not THEM.  Learn something new everyday!
    The best version of Gloria is the Doors on that famous live album.  I think it was in NYC.  It was maybe the most highly sexually charged song I've ever heard.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

The best version of Gloria is the Doors on that famous live album.  I think it was in NYC.  It was maybe the most highly sexually charged song I've ever heard.  
    I only knew that version until I found out it was a Van Morrison song.  My older cousins LOVED the Doors and I remember hearing that song and really liking it.  I thought it was interesting that a band was doing a cover of a song that wasn't that old.
    brianlux said:
    IMG

mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

This album was made at a time when a lot of fans were as much or more into 7" singles release than albums.  Also interesting is that it is on the Parrot label which was basically a re-issues label for the London and Decca labels.  
    One of the things I love about this record besides the obvious hits ("Here Comes the Night", "Mystic Eyes", "Gloria") is that on some of the lesser know songs, you can hear Van Morrison beginning to develop his unique voice that not many years later spills over to his incomparable Astral Weeks LP. 
    Van the Man!

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

Was that on "No One Here Gets Out Alive"

• Just found a receipt that I had just before the pandemic.  Apparently I purchased a Coltrane album but moved since the purchase and forgot I had it...
    Also had the Palo Alto, Brubeck and Kiss Destroyer album in there.  

The Coltrane album was only $19 so I'm wondering the pressing and which one?

On the hunt this evening.
    edited September 2022
    GlowGirl said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

I only know that title as a book about Morrison.  I'll send you the link to the rip if you want to download it.  
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Last few new things:

• Wow, Crystal Method is still making music?
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Wow, Crystal Method is still making music?
    Yeah Ken left the band a while ago and Scott is still putting out stuff. It's not as good as in their heyday but I still like most of it.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    mrussel1 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

I only know that title as a book about Morrison.  I'll send you the link to the rip if you want to download it.  
    You are right. That was the book. I read that a while ago. I was thinking of the album Alive She Cried, which I have on CD somewhere.