*** Pearl Jam Quebec City, Canada Fanviews 9/1/22 ***

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,640
    AlaG said:
    The slow open to this show was an excellent start to my 3-show run this tour. Seated Daughter opener was a treat. Venue sounded amazing.

Crowd seemed kind of low energy at this show relative to others I’ve been to recently, but I’m chalking that up to positioning. I was situated directly behind the empty back half of the massive pit section. Either way, the vibe felt right for my first go at this tour.

Shoutout to the merch worker who was having a great night and keyed in $20.00 for me on a poster, sweatshirt, and key tag on the way out the door! Totally made up for the GA staff who kept instructing y’all to walk through my row!
    Low energy from crowd has to be because of the set. No flow and too much gigaton. 
  • Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
     No tags anymore it seems like
    This is Not For You
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    they tagged satisfaction Who Ever Said
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    nicknyr15 said:
    AlaG said:
    The slow open to this show was an excellent start to my 3-show run this tour. Seated Daughter opener was a treat. Venue sounded amazing.

Crowd seemed kind of low energy at this show relative to others I’ve been to recently, but I’m chalking that up to positioning. I was situated directly behind the empty back half of the massive pit section. Either way, the vibe felt right for my first go at this tour.

Shoutout to the merch worker who was having a great night and keyed in $20.00 for me on a poster, sweatshirt, and key tag on the way out the door! Totally made up for the GA staff who kept instructing y’all to walk through my row!
    Low energy from crowd has to be because of the set. No flow and too much gigaton. 
    I’ll confess that it seemed they put a lot more thought into the first part of the set. If I was a casual fan who only sees them once every few years, I might’ve been bummed with the set overall. But I think many folks who are hitting multiple shows this leg will look back fondly on this one as a great start.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Red Lukin said:
    New songs were great, especially whoever said.  

Wish the band would mix it up more. Don't care about the shorter setlists, but corduroy, small town,  black, and alive seem all drawn out. Even porch is a bit too much.  So boring and predictable.

C Mon PJ get your shit together and mix it up!

MYM was great. Wish they'd throw in a few more bangers!
    the majority of the fans at shows are casual or semi-fans. they need to play staples. 
    I disagree. There are other songs off of Ten I'm sure the average fans would eat up.  Like Deep, Garden and Once.

The radio and MTV is killing live music entertainment.  PJ shouldn't play the same songs just to cash in.  I miss the old days.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    cash in? they play a combination of what they want and what they think the crowd will like. they sell out shows no matter what they play. it's not like they are advertising an "all the hits" tour. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,627
    edited September 2022
    I honestly am having a hard time picking Quebec  2016 over Quebec 2022. I had the exact same spot on the rail for both shows. This show just seemed more fun to me. Yes less songs and yes a lot of Gigaton but still this show just kicked ass from start to finish. I was vocal from San Diego on about shorter sets and how drastic a change that was. Last night I did not count songs at all and it felt like a full show minus an encore. 

Daughter opening no one expected that. Not a big fan of the song but how cool was that acoustic version. Footsteps was amazing as always. Otherside wow got to hear it again. 3rd time now and it’s amazing every time. Off He Goes is a song I love and thought they might of given up on it. Very happy they are bringing it out again and hope the fan who requested it got some healing from it as well. 

Whoever Said needs to be played more! That and Quick Escape are amazing live. I heard Whoever Said at Encore last year. From memory Ed stayed in the middle reading the lyrics to the song for the most part. Last night he was running all over the stage singing his ass of and for me it might of been the highlight of the show. I Got Shit is was a highlight too. Top song I have not heard yet with amount of playtimes and we finally got it and it did not disappoint. Present Tense opening the encore is a great way to restart the show after the short break.  I have heard Purple Rain at my last 3 shows and likely good with that one for awhile but so love Eddie’s voice on this one and wish he sang the whole thing. 

As far as the crowd goes I thought they were loud when the hits were played but if you look at that setlist they were few and far between with so many gigaton songs played and the 5 sit down songs at the start. 

Overall I am very pleased and honestly surprised how much I enjoyed last night. I have been a skeptic of the sets in the past and the only two previous shows I hit this year Eddie had health issues so I really did not get the full experience of a set meant for 2022. I am doing the rest of Canada and MSG and am even more excited now for the rest of the shows then I was before the tour started. Hopefully I can maintain that attitude. 

Also my wife was incredible lucky and great full Eddie handed his pic to my wife after he used it after Present Tense which is one of my wife and my favourite songs and Mike passed her one as well!

Post edited by PJNB on
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    PJNB said:
    I honestly am having a hard time picking Quebec  2016 over Quebec 2022. I had the exact same spot on the rail for both shows. This show just seemed more fun to me. Yes less songs and yes a lot of Gigaton but still this show just kicked ass from start to finish. I was vocal from San Diego on about shorter sets and how drastic a change that was. Last night I did not count songs at all and it felt like a full show minus an encore. 

Daughter opening no one expected that. Not a big fan of the song but how cool was that acoustic version. Footsteps was amazing as always. Otherside wow got to hear it again. 3rd time now and it’s amazing every time. Off He Goes is a song I love and thought they might of given up on it. Very happy they are bringing it out again and hope the fan who requested it got some healing from it as well. 

Whoever Said needs to be played more! That and Quick Escape are amazing live. I heard Whoever Said at Encore last year. From memory Ed stayed in the middle reading the lyrics to the song for the most part. Last night he was running all over the stage singing his ass of and for me it might of been the highlight of the show. I Got Shit is was a highlight too. Top song I have not heard yet with amount of playtimes and we finally got it and it did not disappoint. Present Tense opening the encore is a great way to restart the show after the short break.  I have heard Purple Rain at my last 3 shows and likely good with that one for awhile but so love Eddie’s voice on this one and wish he sang the whole thing. 

As far as the crowd goes I thought they were loud when the hits were played but if you look at that setlist they were few and far between with so many gigaton songs played and the 5 sit down songs at the start. 

Overall I am very pleased and honestly surprised how much I enjoyed last night. I have been a skeptic of the sets in the past and the only two previous shows I hit this year Eddie had health issues so I really did not get the full experience of a set meant for 2022. I am doing the rest of Canada and MSG and am even more excited now for the rest of the shows then I was before the tour started. Hopefully I can maintain that attitude. 

Also my wife was incredible lucky and great full Eddie handed his pic to my wife after he used it after Present Tense which is one of my wife and my favourite songs and Mike passed her one as well!

Glad to see you had a good time! Enjoy the shows. This setlist looks great and reminds me of Amsterdam 😎
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    PJNB, you listed all of the songs I loved and enjoyed.  Whoever Said was amazing no doubt. 

I'm not complaining about a a short set or playing Gigaton.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,609
    PJNB said:

Nice picks. Congrats. Frame those suckers up.
  • The sets are still varied enough to make me happy to hit multiple shows when I get the chance. Bummer that Sad was crossed out though!
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    The sets are still varied enough to make me happy to hit multiple shows when I get the chance. Bummer that Sad was crossed out though!
    I feel like they were pretty varied on the recent EU tour?? More varied than last night perhaps.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,987
    Usually, when someone is a name-dropper, it's because they're a "nobody" and they're trying to pretend they're a "somebody."  It's so odd that Ed, who should feel pretty secure in his "somebodiness," especially at a Pearl Jam show, is such an inveterate name-dropper.  He cannot help himself from mentioning his celebrity pals, and it's becoming almost a parody.  The most awkward moment would definitely have to be the full-throated defense of Bill Murray against allegations of inappropriate behavior towards a woman seguing immediately into "Better Man," of all songs, in L.A.  But speaking up about what a great person Serena Williams is?  That's interesting.  What impressed Ed most about her?  When she threatened to shove a tennis ball down the throat of a lineswoman at the U.S. Open?  When she threw a tantrum in the middle of the 2018 Open final that rained all over Naomi Osaka's first major win (and then ludicrously tried to claim that she was being persecuted by the officials because she is a woman-- and she was 36 going on 37 when this happened, so she couldn't blame it on youth or inexperience)?  Or any of her other meltdowns that usually involved verbal abuse of people who don't have the power, fame and wealth that she does?  Serena Williams is an incredible tennis player, probably the best female tennis player of all-time, but the rush to canonize her while completely overlooking her history of bad behavior-- by people who would never tolerate such behavior from other public figures, particularly ones on the other side of the "culture war"-- is hard to swallow.

Ed should remember that, when he's at a Pearl Jam show, the crowd is already on his side.  He doesn't need to cite his famous friends to impress Pearl Jam fans.  And he doesn't need to do it on behalf of Jeff either.  We love Jeff regardless of whether he's friends with Kenny Mayne.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Glad those that were there had fun! How grateful to have live Pearl Jam after all these years! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BF25394 said:
    Usually, when someone is a name-dropper, it's because they're a "nobody" and they're trying to pretend they're a "somebody."  It's so odd that Ed, who should feel pretty secure in his "somebodiness," especially at a Pearl Jam show, is such an inveterate name-dropper.  He cannot help himself from mentioning his celebrity pals, and it's becoming almost a parody.  The most awkward moment would definitely have to be the full-throated defense of Bill Murray against allegations of inappropriate behavior towards a woman seguing immediately into "Better Man," of all songs, in L.A.  But speaking up about what a great person Serena Williams is?  That's interesting.  What impressed Ed most about her?  When she threatened to shove a tennis ball down the throat of a lineswoman at the U.S. Open?  When she threw a tantrum in the middle of the 2018 Open final that rained all over Naomi Osaka's first major win (and then ludicrously tried to claim that she was being persecuted by the officials because she is a woman-- and she was 36 going on 37 when this happened, so she couldn't blame it on youth or inexperience)?  Or any of her other meltdowns that usually involved verbal abuse of people who don't have the power, fame and wealth that she does?  Serena Williams is an incredible tennis player, probably the best female tennis player of all-time, but the rush to canonize her while completely overlooking her history of bad behavior-- by people who would never tolerate such behavior from other public figures, particularly ones on the other side of the "culture war"-- is hard to swallow.

Ed should remember that, when he's at a Pearl Jam show, the crowd is already on his side.  He doesn't need to cite his famous friends to impress Pearl Jam fans.  And he doesn't need to do it on behalf of Jeff either.  We love Jeff regardless of whether he's friends with Kenny Mayne.
    Odd
  • BF25394 said:

Damn … if you feel this way about Serena and Ed I hate to imagine how you feel about actual shitty people.  Your standards for human behavior might be a touch high.
  • Glad those that were there had fun! How grateful to have live Pearl Jam after all these years! 
               Yes! 
  • AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 863
    edited September 2022
    BF25394 said:

The fact that you're trying to draw some kind of a line between Ed's simping for Bill Murray, a very evidently creepy person, in the wake of credible harassment allegations and Serena Williams, who seems like a very kind, charitable person outside of a few public outbursts during sporting competitions, on the eve of her final match kind of kills whatever point you're trying to make here.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • These kind of “comments” are right in line with the softening of the country (US). Nothing more important to talk about than our hero idol celebrities and their actions during performances to the commons.

Just imagine what comments we’d get if they served in WWII. This is what we all forget as time passes. The sacrifices of others to allow people the right to bitch on a fan forum.
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    PJNB said:

Wow.  That’s awesome.  I’m so jealous.  😎👍🤘
  • TorontonianTorontonian Posts: 532
    edited September 2022
    I loved this show so much.  It was amazing to be at the back of GA with so much space singing along.  I literally had 6 beers I bought to share with others and none of them got knocked over while in the tray on the floor.  Combination of luck and a lot of space.  I am surprised I didn't knock any over I was dancing so much.  I am sure I met a lot of you when I was running back and forth during Do the Evolution scaring the crap out of some yelling "It's evolution baby!" Some of you did yell back "Do the Evolution!"  I was the crazy guy in the Pearl Jam Scotland t-shirt running side to side.  How the heck did those beers on the ground survive?  (Full disclosure:  guy next to me bought a tray of 4 beers, put them on the ground, 30 seconds later they were all kicked over by someone).  Fatal.

Quebec City is such a beautiful city full of vibrant people living their lives to the fullest.  Amazing food and culture.

Great music, great venue, great people.  Worth the wait from March 22, 2020.

Special shout out to Sebastien and all the amazing staff at the Videotron.  Made it even more special and felt so welcomed. ❤️

Much love to Quebec and all the great people I met...

Brock

I never meant to cause you any sorrow
    I never meant to cause you any pain
    I only wanted one time to see you laughing
    I only wanted to see you
    Laughing in the purple rain

Post edited by Torontonian on
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    OnWis97 said:
    Otherside  .... wow
    That's my white whale.  I need that in St. Louis.
    Finally a request I could support!
    AlaG said:
    BF25394 said:

The fact that you're trying to draw some kind of a line between Ed's simping for Bill Murray, a very evidently creepy person, in the wake of credible harassment allegations and Serena Williams, who seems like a very kind, charitable person outside of a few public outbursts during sporting competitions, on the eve of her final match kind of kills whatever point you're trying to make here.
    She seems like a very kind person outside of the many times she's been publicly verbally abusive to people who do not have her power, wealth or fame?

I'm making a point about Ed's weird need to mention his celebrity friends, and I specifically said that the Murray example was the most awkward.  The thing with Serena Williams is just interesting because people seem either to be unaware of her history of terrible behavior-- even though, unlike what Murray is alleged to have done-- much of it has occurred in public for all to see.  Being a great athlete shouldn't give you a license to treat people poorly.  Venus Williams hasn't behaved like Serena.  Venus has faced many of the same challenges and obstacles as her sister to get where she is, and some that Serena hasn't faced, including an autoimmune disease.
    Discopij said:
    BF25394 said:

Damn … if you feel this way about Serena and Ed I hate to imagine how you feel about actual shitty people.  Your standards for human behavior might be a touch high.
    I love Ed.  This is just one habit he has that's annoying and has gotten worse in recent years.

How do you know that Serena Williams is not actually a shitty person?  My standards for human behavior are high because I expect people not to engage in repeated acts of public verbal abuse, including threats of violence, against other human beings, and especially when the abuser is powerful and the subject of the abuse is not?  Do your standards for human behavior tolerate public verbal abuse and threats of violence?
  • BF25394 said:
    Discopij said:
    BF25394 said:

I love Ed.  This is just one habit he has that's annoying and has gotten worse in recent years.

How do you know that Serena Williams is not actually a shitty person?  My standards for human behavior are high because I expect people not to engage in repeated acts of public verbal abuse, including threats of violence, against other human beings, and especially when the abuser is powerful and the subject of the abuse is not?  Do your standards for human behavior tolerate public verbal abuse and threats of violence?
    No offense but I trust Billie Jean King’s opinion more than yours when it comes to Serena
  • BF25394 said:
    Discopij said:
    BF25394 said:

Where’s the mute button? 
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 297
    Amen, jesus
  • MM188016MM188016 Posts: 29
    edited September 2022
    Absolutely loved acoustic Daughter to open. Footsteps was amazing. Other Side was a real unexpected treat - love that song so much and so much emotion behind it with Ed's story about the requester losing a brother. Jeff's tiny little acoustic bass was so cool. Massive sound for an instrument that kinda looks like a ukulele. Jeff switched to regular basses for the acoustic set in Ottawa. Vibe in the pit on Mike's side was terrific. Closest I've ever been for a PJ show and s lucky to score two picks from Mike and two from Jeff! Great show, lots of Gigaton love. First time seeing Purple Rain and Indifference and they didn't disappoint. DOTC, I Got Shit and Present Tense were highlights for me. Great version of Black. Terrific show and left smiling ear-to-ear until the next day.