The Golf Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Aren’t 80% of baseball games exhibitions?  People still are paying to see a Cubs/Reds game right now that is completely and utterly meaningless.  The players are playing in a game and only try because of pride and wanting to play next year and get paid.  Maybe LIV will move away from the large guaranteed money (has to overpay now to get players) and in the future it turns into a more merit based system?

just play devil’s advocate here.  The Saudi prince is a butcher, Trump sucks, and the LIV players are liars (but a few admit it is the money).  

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited August 2022
    Aren’t 80% of baseball games exhibitions?  People still are paying to see a Cubs/Reds game right now that is completely and utterly meaningless.  The players are playing in a game and only try because of pride and wanting to play next year and get paid.  Maybe LIV will move away from the large guaranteed money (has to overpay now to get players) and in the future it turns into a more merit based system?

just play devil’s advocate here.  The Saudi prince is a butcher, Trump sucks, and the LIV players are liars (but a few admit it is the money).  

No they're not. 

162 games plus 6 weeks of spring training vs 8 weeks of golf, where golfers are whining about wanting more time off.

You're comparing apples to oranges, my man. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    And the whole time off thing is a complete joke.  They're playing a 14 tournament schedule next year all over the world.  These dudes are going to be traveling more and away from their families more than they are now.  Add in the 4 majors and that's 18 tournaments which is similar to how much the top guys are playing now.  
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    We went to the LIV event at Bedminster on Sunday and had a good time. It was looser than a PGA tournament of course, but it wasn't a circus or anything. But one thing I learned about the team format while there that I didn't know is that only the top three scores count for the "team score." That's so dumb. I assumed DJ's team won last time because he and Reed played so well that they made up for Pat Perez's pathetic score. But no, Perez's score didn't even count that day. Lame. 

The crowd was an interesting venn-diagram of bros, Trump-lovers, and regular golf fans. The bros aren't that different than the ones you meet at every event you go to (rock concerts, MLB/NFL games, etc.). I think the Trump-lovers might have been specific to this course being his. But the regular golf fans were regular golf fans. Little kids looking for high-fives and souvenirs, their fathers happy to be so close to pro golfers, etc. 

Overall it was cool. It was only a two-hour drive so it was worth it. And the tickets were dirt-cheap. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

No they're not. 

162 games plus 6 weeks of spring training vs 8 weeks of golf, where golfers are whining about wanting more time off.

You're comparing apples to oranges, my man. 
    The amount of time is different for sure, but the point is that a pro-ball player can sign a contract for $20M a year playing for a team that has no chance after May to make the playoffs.  Wouldn't that player be just as prone to coasting as a LIV player?   There is concern with every sport that once you get that big contract that you may not work as hard.  

The $100M, 50M, etc... signing bonuses are going to end at some point with LIV in the near future.  Sure, right now people are coasting into retirement, but we'll have to see what the future holds.   Perhaps the team aspect will be the thing that helps people from coasting as they'll have some accountability to their teammates.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited August 2022
    Puttting aside the obscene (and dirty) money, I just can't see how this helps the game of golf at the professional level. Unlike team sports who have die-hard fan bases, golf relies on players who move the needle. Now we're basically looking at two watered down leagues- one of which that has events that nobody cares who wins. 

Maybe The Masters might be interesting. Instead of putting the player's country flag next to their name, they put PGA or LIV. That woud add some viewer incentive for people who prefer one over the other. 

edited August 2022
    eddiec said:
    Puttting aside the obscene (and dirty) money, I just can't see how this helps the game of golf at the professional level. Unlike team sports who have die-hard fan bases, golf relies on players who move the needle. Now we're basically looking at two watered down leagues- one of which that has events that nobody cares who wins. 

Maybe The Masters might be interesting. Instead of putting the player's country flag next to their name, they put PGA or LIV. That woud add some viewer incentive for people who prefer one over the other. 

Yeah but LIV makes golf a team sport now. The Fireballs or Niblicks don't tickle your fancy?!

Whole thing is a joke. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,712
    It is. Utter shit
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited August 2022
    Well, the lawsuits have arrived.

Money corrupts everything.  An example of why players may not coast because no amount of money is enough for some people. Ha.

Money corrupts everything.  An example of why players may not coast because no amount of money is enough for some people. Ha.
    I’m pro-LIV but I hate this lawsuit that Phil and others have filed. They should just put the PGA Tour behind them. And Players on the Tour seem to be taking the lawsuit personally…which I can understand. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

I’m pro-LIV but I hate this lawsuit that Phil and others have filed. They should just put the PGA Tour behind them. And Players on the Tour seem to be taking the lawsuit personally…which I can understand. 
    What the fuck does pro-LIV mean? It’s like I’m saying pro rock and jock all star game

What the fuck does pro-LIV mean? It’s like I’m saying pro rock and jock all star game
    Saying you are pro rock and jock all star game is like saying “I am pro-water” or “Oxygen is appealing to me”.

Saying you are pro rock and jock all star game is like saying “I am pro-water” or “Oxygen is appealing to me”.
    Right…the epitome of athletic ability.

I don’t get it  
    edited August 2022

I mean that I'm not against it's existence like many are. I've enjoyed how the whole fiasco is similar to the 90's wrestling war between WWF and WCW. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Was 8 over heading into 18 last night.   Sunset was 8:52 and I got to 18 at 9:35.  Par 70 so a par or bogey on 18 helps me break 80.  

Well, I couldn't find my driver and couldn't see it in the dark.  Was searching with my iphone light.  I dropped one in the fairway and setup my iphone light to see the ball.  I thought I hit a decent one but couldn't find the ball around the green with my light.  I think technically I could have taken a bogey for handicap tracking purposes due to darkness but lost a chance at breaking 80.  
    Will be interesting.   I side with PGA here, but classifying as independent contractors does make question whether the PGA can do what they did.
    Interesting, I guess the LIV attorney indicated that the upfront money to the players may be an advance on prize money, so the players may not get paid extra for prize money earned at events. 
    This is all very interesting.  

Sounds like things are going down hill for the pga 
    It’s reported that Open champ Cam Smith is signing with LIV for $100 million.  

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    First legit player.  Bummer
    The fun side of this is that if they are allowed to play, I'll probably get drunk and make a 9/11 comment at one of them in Wilmington and get kicked out.
    Boom
    Fair enough to me. Hard to argue the Tour has caused any of them “irreparable harm.”

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Isn't this is a win for the LIV guys, as one of their goals was to play less golf?

chinese-happy.jpg
    Isn't this is a win for the LIV guys, as one of their goals was to play less golf?

Right! Less golf and more time with their families just like they wanted. Also apparently the winnings are counted against the upfront money. Mrs Perez can’t be thrilled to be mistaken.

In all, a good day for LIV since they’re getting smith, but does this mean it’s official they are out until the trial next September? If so, very few will see the majors.

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Right! Less golf and more time with their families just like they wanted. Also apparently the winnings are counted against the upfront money. Mrs Perez can’t be thrilled to be mistaken.

In all, a good day for LIV since they’re getting smith, but does this mean it’s official they are out until the trial next September? If so, very few will see the majors.

Yeah not sure if LIV can appeal this ruling today.  But yeah these dudes that aren't past major winners won't be seeing many majors next year....going to start plummeting in the world rankings.  Unless they go play the Asian tour like Reed is apparently doing....but that's not less golf!
    Let's go!!  Need a Liv/PGA hockey fight in the next couple weeks

edited August 2022
    Here's the video since the above one was deleted. Talk about passive-aggressive. I've said my favorite thing about LIV is that the whole thing reminds me of the wrestling wars of the 90's between WWF and WCW. But....we can't expect golfers to hit each other with chairs. So I guess walking through someone's line on the green could be the golf equivalent of that. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs: