Ukraine

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    I think the argument is that if Ukraine did not put up a fight (backed by Western powers) then the likelihood of another invasion increases.  You can't say that the risk was overblown after the Ukraine army puts up a gallant fight.  The argument now is that Russia is FAR less likely to try another invasion because of the fight of Ukraine and the western powers.  

Regarding sources, well pick your poison.  Do you think reading Sputnik and being told that Russia has only lost 1300 soldiers, yet they are going nowhere and multiple generals have been killed, would be more accurate?

And then Russia strikes Kiev during a G7 meeting. Kills civilians shopping at a mall. Could there be a more direct message to Americans? Did any get it? (This topic almost dropped to bottom of pg 1 during these renewed air strikes. I haven’t posted here in awhile either)

What can possibly be done now to stop Putin? If we send our top air defense tech to “close the skies” to Russian air strikes, we run the risk of Putin getting his hands on our top tech. We’ve upended the economy to try to stop this atrocity. How much further can this go?
    The British believe putin can't sustain a war of aggression for more than a month or two longer.  The Ukrainians have almost used up their Soviet Era weapons and are converting to much more advanced western weapons. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    I think the argument is that if Ukraine did not put up a fight (backed by Western powers) then the likelihood of another invasion increases.  You can't say that the risk was overblown after the Ukraine army puts up a gallant fight.  The argument now is that Russia is FAR less likely to try another invasion because of the fight of Ukraine and the western powers.  

Regarding sources, well pick your poison.  Do you think reading Sputnik and being told that Russia has only lost 1300 soldiers, yet they are going nowhere and multiple generals have been killed, would be more accurate?

And then Russia strikes Kiev during a G7 meeting. Kills civilians shopping at a mall. Could there be a more direct message to Americans? Did any get it? (This topic almost dropped to bottom of pg 1 during these renewed air strikes. I haven’t posted here in awhile either)

What can possibly be done now to stop Putin? If we send our top air defense tech to “close the skies” to Russian air strikes, we run the risk of Putin getting his hands on our top tech. We’ve upended the economy to try to stop this atrocity. How much further can this go?
    I too am disillusioned that people have no focus on what is probably the number one most threatening action happening to life on earth today.  I think about it a lot but keep my opinions to myself most of the time unless I feel like having a discussion here.  I think there is a lot of intelligence that says the Russian army can't last much longer.  However I remember these same preedictions in March stating that the Russians would be out of resources and lacking morale by mid may...well here we are at the doorstep of July.  Obviously Western Intelligence aren't the only ones that saw this all wrong if reports that Putin believed this would be a short action that overwhelmed Ukraine are to be believed.

I don't know what can be done to stop aggressions and I have no real idea aside from diplomacy and disarmament.  Which it seems is very far from happening.  A no fly zone likely turns this into WWIII, as does I'm sure providing Ukraine with too much advanced weaponry.  It is kind of a no one wins situation.  Striking the balance of supplying Ukraine with just enough aid to keep slogging, but not enough for Russia to expand it's use of advanced weapons, and or expand the scope of it's war.  One thing is for sure, Raytheon, Lockheed et al are making profits again.

I've said it in previous posts, but it appears that the upending of the economy is only strengthening russia, with a more powerful BRICS and new trading partners as well as a rise in the ruble to a degree where the russian central bank is having to create inflation in order to keep the currency from becoming too strong too fast.  All the while Nato nations and the west seem to be feeling the brunt of the sanctions.

How much farther can this go?  That is the question for me.  How much is too much. People say nukes won't happen because of mutually assured destruction, but there have been a lot of firsts in the last 3 years.  If not nukes, russia has much more advanced missiles etc than they have been using. 

It is a mess and as it galvanized NATO behind the US it also seems to be galvanizing the Russian China connections as well.  So far we have sent $54 billion.  Other nations have sent billions more.  Russia's yearly military budget is projected to be at about 65 billion.  If Ukraine doesn't have enough resources at this point to defeat a 65 billion dollar a year military how much is needed.  How many lives is enough for Ukrainians, how many lives is enough for Russia.  At what point do we (US) step in?

Sure having these thoughts can lead people to believe that I am following some Bushism along the lines of "if you aren't with us you are with the terrorists" as if with all the talk of nuance in the world today there isn't room for nuance when it comes to Russia's war.

I'd like to live in a world where we in the west and NATO countries are some kind of infallible bloc of white knights spreading prosperity and peace throughout the world and that somehow the evil russians will just be vanquished by the power of justice and good.  Maybe if we prosecuted any of the war crimes that we committed  or the war criminals that authorized them during our conflicts in Iraq or Afghanistan we would have a leg to stand on when it comes to that view, but with a million dead Iraqis and no serious criminal tribunals for western leaders that kind of falls flat for me.  At least we are looking at putting the individual that did the most for the world, in exposing those crimes, away behind bars for life

"mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind" MLK said that in regards to Viet Nam with the very real idea that prolonging the Viet Nam conflict would lead to a direct confrontation with China that could lead to nuclear annihilation.  Well switch Ukraine and Russia with Viet Nam and China and we aren't so far from that today.  There has to be another way.  There has to be a way to get Ukraine soveirgnty even if it is along the Finlandization model, and then through diplomatic means as well start the impossible task of bringing Russia into the western world.  It is hard to dream of peace in a country with so many extremists that seem hell bent on yanking my own country back 100 years, but here we are.

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    It’s going to be a long, cold, hard winter. I wouldn’t put too much on the Russian-China connection. Putin vastly underestimated the world’s response. Only Ukraine can determine their destiny.

From WaPo.

Global exports to Russia fell sharply after the Ukraine invasion, not only from Western countries that enacted sanctions but also from non-sanctioning countries including China, a new analysis shows.

The study suggests Moscow is struggling to find suppliers for a range of goods.

Over roughly two months after the invasion began Feb. 24, exports to Russia from sanctioning countries fell by about 60 percent while exports from non-sanctioning countries fell by about 40 percent, according to the study from the Peterson Institute for International Economics, which analyzed data from 54 countries.

The available data ends on April 30, so the analysis doesn’t give a picture up to the current day, Martin Chorzempa, senior fellow and author of the study, said in an interview. But a separate analysis of China-only data through the end of May shows that China’s exports to Russia remained well below prewar levels, suggesting that Beijing is wary of helping Moscow, Chorzempa said.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    It’s going to be a long, cold, hard winter. I wouldn’t put too much on the Russian-China connection. Putin vastly underestimated the world’s response. Only Ukraine can determine their destiny.

From WaPo.

Global exports to Russia fell sharply after the Ukraine invasion, not only from Western countries that enacted sanctions but also from non-sanctioning countries including China, a new analysis shows.

The study suggests Moscow is struggling to find suppliers for a range of goods.

Over roughly two months after the invasion began Feb. 24, exports to Russia from sanctioning countries fell by about 60 percent while exports from non-sanctioning countries fell by about 40 percent, according to the study from the Peterson Institute for International Economics, which analyzed data from 54 countries.

The available data ends on April 30, so the analysis doesn’t give a picture up to the current day, Martin Chorzempa, senior fellow and author of the study, said in an interview. But a separate analysis of China-only data through the end of May shows that China’s exports to Russia remained well below prewar levels, suggesting that Beijing is wary of helping Moscow, Chorzempa said.

"Yet, despite being the target of this economic firepower from 38 sanctioning countries, Russia's economy has not collapsed, its currency has recovered (though the market for rubles is hardly normal), and the volume of imports remains high, despite the decline. The question is whether Russia will get what it needs to continue the war and keep up in cutting-edge industries. Russia has experience working around sanctions, disguising its purchases, and going through shady intermediaries. These workarounds will face major hurdles to succeed at an economywide scale. But chips are hard to control: As anyone who has seen the movie The Departed knows, a million dollars of military chips can easily be smuggled in a small suitcase.

The limited May export data suggest a slight rebound in exports to Russia from countries like Brazil, Vietnam, and China. It may be a result of the ruble's recovery and stability, which improved Russia's terms of trade. It may also be that risk-averse companies halted more business with Russia than sanctions required. Now that they understand which types of goods, payment, and shipping methods do not violate the rules, some may be resuming some of their exports. Increased trade may thus not necessarily mean that sanctions are being undermined."

This bit from the study as well as the data ending in april, makes the outlook not as rosy as the WaPo piece. Additionally it appears that though China is not exporting to Russia it is certainly importing in the Billions, I'm sure that Russia is not supplying exports out of the goodness of it's heart.

Scio me nihil scire

https://news.antiwar.com/2022/06/27/nato-to-increase-high-readiness-force-to-over-300000-troops/

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg announced Monday that the alliance will increase its high-readiness force from 40,000 troops to over 300,000 as part of a plan he called “the biggest overhaul of our collective defense and deterrence since the Cold War.”
    Scio me nihil scire

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412

Live updates | Putin warns on NATO troops in Sweden, Finland
    The Associated Press
    1 minute ago

MADRID (AP) — The latest on the NATO summit in Madrid:

Russian President Vladimir Putin is warning Finland and Sweden that if they welcome NATO troops and military infrastructure onto their territory, Russia will respond in kind.

He said Wednesday that Russia will have to “create the same threats for the territory from which threats against us are created.”

The two formerly nonaligned Baltic countries were formally invited Wednesday to join the Western military alliance.

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the war in Ukraine has brought “the biggest overhaul of our collective defense since the end of the Cold War.”

continues....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

The Associated Press
    1 minute ago

Russian President Vladimir Putin is warning Finland and Sweden that if they welcome NATO troops and military infrastructure onto their territory, Russia will respond in kind.

He said Wednesday that Russia will have to “create the same threats for the territory from which threats against us are created.”

The two formerly nonaligned Baltic countries were formally invited Wednesday to join the Western military alliance.

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the war in Ukraine has brought “the biggest overhaul of our collective defense since the end of the Cold War.”

continues....

Maybe we should solve Ukraine before expanding Nato and the war machine.  At this point it looks like we are baiting Russia to cross a line so we can go into an open war.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The Associated Press
    1 minute ago

continues....

Maybe we should solve Ukraine before expanding Nato and the war machine.  At this point it looks like we are baiting Russia to cross a line so we can go into an open war.
    Yes, that vicious NATO war machine empire will threaten to stomp out the glorious rebellion in eastern Ukraine, supported by the "Special Military Operation".  

Now is exactly the time for Sweden, Norway and others to finally join NATO.  
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The Associated Press
    1 minute ago

continues....

Yes, that vicious NATO war machine empire will threaten to stomp out the glorious rebellion in eastern Ukraine, supported by the "Special Military Operation".  

Now is exactly the time for Sweden, Norway and others to finally join NATO.  

100%

The idea that this is all being done to bait Russia into a war is fucking ludicrous.

Russia's the aggressor here, it's not hard to understand. 
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Ukraine should have just given up the Donbas, it would have saved time, money, and most importantly lives..  When it's all said and done that will be the reality, Russia will annex it, which is what the majority of citizens (which are Russian speaking) there want anyways.

Another war to help out the poor weapons manufacturers.... after pulling out of Afghanistan, we had to find another place to dump weapons.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

edited July 2022
    myoung321 said:
    Ukraine should have just given up the Donbas, it would have saved time, money, and most importantly lives..  When it's all said and done that will be the reality, Russia will annex it, which is what the majority of citizens (which are Russian speaking) there want anyways.

Another war to help out the poor weapons manufacturers.... after pulling out of Afghanistan, we had to find another place to dump weapons.
    Edit to not be a dick.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    edited July 2022
    myoung321 said:

Strategically, you cannot give up the Donbas without a fight, regardless of whether you think you can win and hold it.  If you do, then they are that much stronger when they move onto Khakiv and Kiev.  Then the next thing you know, you've lost control of the Sea of Azov and then subsequently the Dnieper.  And when that happens, you've lost key abilities for international commerce.  Considering that Ukraine controls 30% of the world's highest quality grain, well now  Russia has Ukraine and the whole world by the balls with its control of key oil and now farming resources.  

And this is to say nothing about how that feeds into Putin's desire to rebuild the Soviet Empire.  We should at least learn something from the Munich Agreement.  
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mrussel1 said:
    myoung321 said:

Strategically, you cannot give up the Donbas without a fight, regardless of whether you think you can win and hold it.  If you do, then they are that much stronger when they move onto Khakiv and Kiev.  Then the next thing you know, you've lost control of the Sea of Azov and then subsequently the Dnieper.  And when that happens, you've lost key abilities for international commerce.  Considering that Ukraine controls 30% of the world's highest quality grain, well now  Russia has Ukraine and the whole world by the balls with its control of key oil and now farming resources.  

And this is to say nothing about how that feeds into Putin's desire to rebuild the Soviet Empire.  We should at least learn something from the Munich Agreement.  

Very true. Can’t give Putin land that is not his without a fight. Problem is, we did these sanctions which gives Russia more money thru higher oil prices. Is there a way to do this without giving Putin more money? 

Perhaps they should not have done the oil and gas embargo. Perhaps an oil price cap on their exports should have been the first step?
    NATO,  fuck yeah. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    erebus said:
    Brittney Griner, WNBA star arrested on “drug” charges in Russia, could face 10 years in prison

sentenced to nine years in prison
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    erebus said:
    Brittney Griner, WNBA star arrested on “drug” charges in Russia, could face 10 years in prison

And, did I read/heard that right:

that she had less then a Gram? If so, they really scrapped her vape cartridges? 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    cutz said:
    erebus said:

Yeah...Essentially a kidnapping.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    cutz said:
    erebus said:

Maybe this will also get us to look inwardly at our draconian marijuana possesion laws and the hundreds of thousands we incarcerated here at the state and federal levels for similar small possesions.  Bring Brittney home and reform our stupid drug laws!
    Scio me nihil scire

OnWis97 said:
    cutz said:
    erebus said:

Sure seems that is the case here. 

I saw on the News who had a politician on who's trying to bring her, and others, and he said if a Russian was caught with what she had it's only a Fine.
    static111 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    cutz said:
    erebus said:

Maybe this will also get us to look inwardly at our draconian marijuana possesion laws and the hundreds of thousands we incarcerated here at the state and federal levels for similar small possesions.  Bring Brittney home and reform our stupid drug laws!
    Let's HOPE so, for both.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i have not seen so much knuckle dragging and racism in the comments section as i have in the comments sections of some of these articles relating to the griner case.

these people are applauding that she was not only convicted, but will spend 9 years in a russian jail. 

it is really, really sad.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    and the people commenting are supposed to be proud americans and patriots.

an american should want to bring her home because she got railroaded because putin is mad that trump is not the president. this is a huge injustice.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    i have not seen so much knuckle dragging and racism in the comments section as i have in the comments sections of some of these articles relating to the griner case.

these people are applauding that she was not only convicted, but will spend 9 years in a russian jail. 

it is really, really sad.
    Literally makes no sense. I can’t believe this has become political. Wait….. yes I can. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    The situation with the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power station is totally unnerving to me, yet it seems to not be getting much in the way of headlines.  Is it not as bad as I think, or are news media afraid to talk about it?  What the hell?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Ukraine says 9 Russian warplanes destroyed in Crimea blasts
    By SUSIE BLANN
    52 mins ago

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukraine's air force said Wednesday that nine Russian warplanes were destroyed in a deadly string of explosions at an air base in Crimea, amid speculation the blasts were the result of a Ukrainian attack that would represent a significant escalation in the war.

Russia denied any aircraft were damaged in Tuesday's blasts — or that any attack took place.

Ukrainian officials stopped short of publicly claiming responsibility for the explosions, while mocking Russia’s explanation that a careless smoker might have caused ammunition at the Saki air base to catch fire and blow up. Analysts also said that explanation doesn’t make sense and that the Ukrainians could have used anti-ship missiles to strike the base.

If Ukrainian forces were, in fact, responsible for the blasts, it would be the first known major attack on a Russian military site on the Crimean Peninsula, which was seized from Ukraine by the Kremlin in 2014. Russian warplanes have used Saki to strike areas in Ukraine’s south.

continues....

Explosions rock Crimea in suspected Ukrainian attack
    By PAUL BYRNE
    2 hours ago

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Explosions and fires ripped through an ammunition depot in Russia-annexed Crimea on Tuesday in the second suspected Ukrainian attack on the peninsula in just over a week, forcing the evacuation of more than 3,000 people.

Russia blamed the blasts in the village of Mayskoye on an “act of sabotage,” without naming the perpetrators.

Separately, the Russian business newspaper Kommersant quoted residents as saying plumes of black smoke also rose over an air base in Crimea’s Gvardeyskoye.

Ukraine stopped short of publicly claiming responsibility for any of the blasts, including those that destroyed nine Russian planes at another Crimean air base last week. Russia seized Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and has used it to launch attacks against the country in the war that began nearly six months ago.

In another reported act of sabotage, Russia’s Tass news agency quoted the FSB security agency as saying Ukrainian operatives blew up six high-voltage transmission towers earlier this month in Russia's Kursk region, close to Ukraine.

If Ukrainian forces were behind the explosions in Crimea, that would represent a significant escalation in the war. Such attacks could also indicate that Ukrainian operatives are able to penetrate deeply into Russian-occupied territory, supplementing attempts to weaken Moscow's forces on the front lines.

continues.....

mickeyrat said:

Explosions rock Crimea in suspected Ukrainian attack
    By PAUL BYRNE
    2 hours ago

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Explosions and fires ripped through an ammunition depot in Russia-annexed Crimea on Tuesday in the second suspected Ukrainian attack on the peninsula in just over a week, forcing the evacuation of more than 3,000 people.

Russia blamed the blasts in the village of Mayskoye on an “act of sabotage,” without naming the perpetrators.

Separately, the Russian business newspaper Kommersant quoted residents as saying plumes of black smoke also rose over an air base in Crimea’s Gvardeyskoye.

Ukraine stopped short of publicly claiming responsibility for any of the blasts, including those that destroyed nine Russian planes at another Crimean air base last week. Russia seized Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and has used it to launch attacks against the country in the war that began nearly six months ago.

In another reported act of sabotage, Russia’s Tass news agency quoted the FSB security agency as saying Ukrainian operatives blew up six high-voltage transmission towers earlier this month in Russia's Kursk region, close to Ukraine.

If Ukrainian forces were behind the explosions in Crimea, that would represent a significant escalation in the war. Such attacks could also indicate that Ukrainian operatives are able to penetrate deeply into Russian-occupied territory, supplementing attempts to weaken Moscow's forces on the front lines.

continues.....

HIMARS is changing the war.