7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    Not a whole lot different than the HBO doc, but I do give them props for limiting the interviews to people who were actually there. The only thing I wasn't aware of was what happened during Fatboy Slim's set in the Rave Hangar. Holy hell.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Not a whole lot different than the HBO doc, but I do give them props for limiting the interviews to people who were actually there. The only thing I wasn't aware of was what happened during Fatboy Slim's set in the Rave Hangar. Holy hell.

I never got a chance to watch the HBO doc. Watched the first two episodes earlier today. Yeah I had no clue about the Fatboy Slim set and the van going into the crowd. That was pretty wild as were some other stuff.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD

I never got a chance to watch the HBO doc. Watched the first two episodes earlier today. Yeah I had no clue about the Fatboy Slim set and the van going into the crowd. That was pretty wild as were some other stuff.

The HBO doc did a nice back story on one of the individuals who unfortunately died due to hyperthermia, which the Netflix doc neglected to mention.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

The HBO doc did a nice back story on one of the individuals who unfortunately died due to hyperthermia, which the Netflix doc neglected to mention.
    I watched the HBO Doc too, but couldn't remember if any one had passed.

After I was done watching the Netflix Doc I said to myself: "It was a miracle that no one died."

Like the reporter said about the whole Event : "It was a shit-show."
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022

out now, FYI. Will probably watch it sometime this week
    Watched it all last night. 

Either I’ve grown up a lot since then or I didn’t know the extent of what went on at the time, but wow that was awful 

I remember seeing it on mtv and the news at the time.  I had the 2 CD set they released of the show etc.  seeing that was eye opening 

blaming limp bizkit on night two for what was clearly the fault of the promoters was ridiculous.  Really I’m surprised they didn’t blame RHCP for closing the festival with “fire”.  Wonder what that was all about with who the promoter decided to blame 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on

Either I’ve grown up a lot since then or I didn’t know the extent of what went on at the time, but wow that was awful 

I remember seeing it on mtv and the news at the time.  I had the 2 CD set they released of the show etc.  seeing that was eye opening 

blaming limp bizkit on night two for what was clearly the fault of the promoters was ridiculous.  Really I’m surprised they didn’t blame RHCP for closing the festival with “fire”.  Wonder what that was all about with who the promoter decided to blame 
    That has been John Scher's company line since shortly after the festival. Not once have I ever heard him talk about the trash or the port-a-potty situation. The bottom line is that they were trying to make as much money as possible and took shortcuts when it came to basic human needs. That is unacceptable and Scher has never apologized for that.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Will have to check it out.  Only downside of the HBO doc was the interviews were with a lot of people who weren't even there.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    I lived an hour and a half away and was 22 years old at that time. Went back and forth for weeks deciding if I’d go or not. Ultimately decided to pass. Thank god I did.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742

That has been John Scher's company line since shortly after the festival. Not once have I ever heard him talk about the trash or the port-a-potty situation. The bottom line is that they were trying to make as much money as possible and took shortcuts when it came to basic human needs. That is unacceptable and Scher has never apologized for that.
    With all the lawsuits they have been/are/would be up against. He'll deny any wrong doing for his lifetime.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I’ve watched both now. Final thought… I’m so glad I was not there.

With that said, I’m still awed by the crowd during Korn’s performance of Blind. Unreal. 
    edited August 2022

With that said, I’m still awed by the crowd during Korn’s performance of Blind. Unreal. 
    Didn’t they release a dvd or something of the concert as a compilation?

a lot of that footage, Blind in particular I saw a lot around that time, and that was obviously before YouTube.  I just never saw the other stuff that went on 

I had the family values tour dvd and blind was crazy in that too, but it’s the Woodstock performance that seems so familiar 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited August 2022
    Did anyone here go to Woodstock 94? That was the one I wanted to go to but never made it. Stellar lineup. 
    GlowGirl said:
    Did anyone here go to Woodstock 94? That was the one I wanted to go to but never made it. Stellar lineup. 
    No, but that looked like a fun show to go to and one of the reasons i wanted to go to the 99 festival (luckily didn't go)

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    cutz said:

I watched the HBO Doc too, but couldn't remember if any one had passed.

After I was done watching the Netflix Doc I said to myself: "It was a miracle that no one died."

Like the reporter said about the whole Event : "It was a shit-show."
    Even though they don't say it clearly in the Netflix doc (and I didn't watch the HBO doc), 3 people died at Woodstock '99.  The guy who died of hypothermia, a woman who got hit by a car leaving the festival, and someone with a pre-existing heart condition or something, not sure if they just had a medical crisis or if they drank/took drugs and that triggered their condition.

I found that out because after watching this doc, I was SO DISGUSTED that none of the organizers ever took any responsibility for the reckless decisions they made (like being cheap on security or handing out frickin' lit candles to a mob of people who'd already acted like Lord of the Flies), or for the people assaulted and raped because it was such a lawless crazy mob with so little security.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427

John Scher came out of that doc looking like SUCH a selfish, entitled, "Everything is great" denier of facts, him and the original Woodstock guy were so horribly irresponsible and took ZERO responsibiity for decisions they made.  Yup, I think the desire to cover up and avoid all lawsuits they could avoid was the main factor in everything they made up stories to "explain".  
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,597
    GlowGirl said:
    I went with a bunch of friends. Super fun. Quick highlights. Waking up to Joe Cocker feelin alright. Walking to a side stage seeing Dee-lite. Swimming in a river. Nin, dylan, rhcp. V fems singing that blister in the sun. Hippy crack. Aerosmith back in the saddle while I was going back to camp. Just a cool fun time. So many great bands. Missed a bunch because I was doing other stuff. Camped off site so bussed or hitched into show. Stayed out of the mud. Could talk a lot more about it.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I too watched the Netflix doc.  It is a car accident you cannot turn away from.  Michael Lang clearly hired Scher with the goal of making a profit. It is repeated over and over and I do believe that Michael Lang was not fully aware of the bands brought in to play. Scher was simply a profiteer and in way over his head. Lang needed a Bill Graham type enforcer. Insurance handled the lawsuits and they walked away with big dollars.

I was not there, not my scene, but some of those 90s raging pits at large GA shows were downright terrifying.  
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942

a lot of that footage, Blind in particular I saw a lot around that time, and that was obviously before YouTube.  I just never saw the other stuff that went on 

I had the family values tour dvd and blind was crazy in that too, but it’s the Woodstock performance that seems so familiar 
    Woodstock '99 aired live on PPV..  I remember being mesmerized by it (watch almost the whole thing live) because of how crazy the crowds are/were.   You got to find out about some problems (like the lack of water and toilets), and the fires during RHCP were easily in footage (I sort of assumed they decided to play their hendix cover because of the fires), but all the other problems I didn't know about when watching on TV.

It's a shame about the problems. Some of the sets from that festival were pretty amazing and full of energy.   I still watch the tragically hip set from time to time (albeit i think they had an earlier day slot before it got too chaotic).
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    yes, the Hip went on in the afternoon. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Zod said:

Woodstock '99 aired live on PPV..  I remember being mesmerized by it (watch almost the whole thing live) because of how crazy the crowds are/were.   You got to find out about some problems (like the lack of water and toilets), and the fires during RHCP were easily in footage (I sort of assumed they decided to play their hendix cover because of the fires), but all the other problems I didn't know about when watching on TV.

It's a shame about the problems. Some of the sets from that festival were pretty amazing and full of energy.   I still watch the tragically hip set from time to time (albeit i think they had an earlier day slot before it got too chaotic).

I know they released the '94 and '99 Woodstock concert on VHS (I have both). I'm sure it's on DVD as well. The just showed one song from just about every artist.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited August 2022
    Zod said:

I know they released the '94 and '99 Woodstock concert on VHS (I have both). I'm sure it's on DVD as well. The just showed one song from just about every artist.
    That explains it.  I must have had it on VHS

if was on DVD I probably would still have it. Not saying there isn’t a DVD, I just didn’t have it. I knew I saw it though and no way my parents would have let me order the PPV
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Watched the Doc last night….. not much new from hbo doc or what I remember, but I’m a sucker for these

• brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    netflix doc is significantly better than hbo
    I watched some of it. Gotta say, RHCP sure did the festival no favours by playing Jimi's Fire. By the footage, it looked like that wasn't planned, and that they played it as an alternate/extra based on what was going on. Then AK refuses to go back out to quell the crowd. Brutal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    netflix doc is significantly better than hbo
    Wayyyy better. Though, this shit show deserved two docs and they kinda compliment each other. Hell, Fyrefest got two docs and it didn’t even happen! 

I just hated the talking heads in the HBO one. The talking heads in the Netflix doc were all at the show. No “journalists” condemning an entire generation like in the HBO one. Way more condemning of the organizers this time around. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Not defending the behaviour, but some background from the RHCP perspective, and hints of what the closing performance was supposed to be.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/rhcps_anthony_kiedis_has_a_very_different_account_of_what_happened_at_woodstock_99
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    As much of a train wreck as it was, I did find it amusing were that both the young people that were there called it one of the best times in their lives.. lol.

Watching through it, I remember stuff I'd kind of not thought about.. like water chants at music festivals.  It seems like '99 kind of had all the worst parts of other music festivals around the same time, but had all the worst parts at once, and way more people.
    ST66483 said:
    Not defending the behaviour, but some background from the RHCP perspective, and hints of what the closing performance was supposed to be.

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/rhcps_anthony_kiedis_has_a_very_different_account_of_what_happened_at_woodstock_99
    just goes to show....don't judge. my bad. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA