Any of you attend Woodstock '99??

1235»

Comments

• pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,804
    edited August 2022
    I attended. Haven’t watched the doc. It was long and hot. Not much water given out if any. I don’t even remember eating to be honest. I had a good time and a buddy and I have brought up the fest over the years. Some good music, especially Sunday morning/Afternoon. 
    The only time I felt it was time to go was RCHPs set. Fires everywhere, gates crashed, motorcycles just driving through the place. Felt zero sense of safety and we bailed. Probably 8-9pm Sunday. 
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,469

I wonder if MTV had already cast him at that point for Real World: Back to New York.
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    ^
    thought the same thing
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823

I wonder if MTV had already cast him at that point for Real World: Back to New York.
    I would say probably not, this took place in '99. Didn't the real world thing happen a few years later?

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

I would say probably not, this took place in '99. Didn't the real world thing happen a few years later?

Yep, you're right. I thought it was filmed in 2000 but it was filmed a year later.

Wikipedia:

The Back to New York season was filmed January 9 to June 2, 2001.It premiered July 3 of that year and consisted of 22 episodes.

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895
    I remember debating with friends on whether or not to go and waiting to see if PJ would ever be confirmed. They didn't have a lot going on in 1999 but probably a wise decision to not play that gig. 

Doc was a fun, fascinating watch.  What a piece of shit Fred Durst was.  Fans literally drinking, bathing, brushing their teeth, and rolling around in shit-water. Promoters not willing to take one ounce of responsibility. No trash pick up. Thinking it was a good idea to hand out candles to everyone lol. It's a miracle nobody died.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    I remember debating with friends on whether or not to go and waiting to see if PJ would ever be confirmed. They didn't have a lot going on in 1999 but probably a wise decision to not play that gig. 

Doc was a fun, fascinating watch.  What a piece of shit Fred Durst was.  Fans literally drinking, bathing, brushing their teeth, and rolling around in shit-water. Promoters not willing to take one ounce of responsibility. No trash pick up. Thinking it was a good idea to hand out candles to everyone lol. It's a miracle nobody died.  
    I thought then and still do now, that the Limp Bizkit performance was the best of the 3 days.  I don't listen to them much anymore but that Faith song and the plywood.?  That is great stage performing.

If you mean nobody died in the fires, sure. But three people died, as explained a few posts up.

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,483

Especially with the propane tanks on the trailers exploding as they burned. 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022

If you mean nobody died in the fires, sure. But three people died, as explained a few posts up.

As bad as that was, that didn’t surprise me. Heat related deaths happen and there appeared to be one. They shouldn’t they but they do, it’s a risk even at a well managed festival with that many people. Maybe the deaths are rare but people getting hospitalised for heat stroke isn’t that rare 

No stampede or crush related death was surprising 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    The fact that after the first day the promoters did not call for back up sanitation is appalling. Apparently they did call the local corrections facility for back up security after the majority of the “peace patrol” flat out quit. But as many pieces noted, security was mostly at the front gates and protecting the acts. The promoters didn’t give a fuck about the attendees after they got their entrance fees.

Apparently the water vendors were forced to buy their stock at $3 a bottle, from a company tied to the promoters.

Also trying blame Durst/nu-metal - if they were the problem then how come every other show they played at the time (including Summer Sanitarium, which had Limp Bizkit, Korn, and Metallica) didn’t burn to the ground? Right, those events probably had proper security and were managed by capable people. 

John Scher is a walking piece of corporate shit. Michael Lang is a buffoon. Neither should be in charge of the welfare of thousands of concert goers. I’m glad ‘99 seems to have put them out of that business.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    Mitch lang should have been blacklisted from festival organization after woodstock 69.
    That was a ticketed event with 100,000 planned attendees. 300,000 got in free on top of the 100k due to lack of security and no infrastructure.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Mitch lang should have been blacklisted from festival organization after woodstock 69.
    That was a ticketed event with 100,000 planned attendees. 300,000 got in free on top of the 100k due to lack of security and no infrastructure.
    agreed. he clearly gave zero fucks about anyone attending or any type of consequence stemming from his action/inaction. that was abundantly clear from the interviews. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

The fact that after the first day the promoters did not call for back up sanitation is appalling. Apparently they did call the local corrections facility for back up security after the majority of the “peace patrol” flat out quit. But as many pieces noted, security was mostly at the front gates and protecting the acts. The promoters didn’t give a fuck about the attendees after they got their entrance fees.

Apparently the water vendors were forced to buy their stock at $3 a bottle, from a company tied to the promoters.

Also trying blame Durst/nu-metal - if they were the problem then how come every other show they played at the time (including Summer Sanitarium, which had Limp Bizkit, Korn, and Metallica) didn’t burn to the ground? Right, those events probably had proper security and were managed by capable people. 

John Scher is a walking piece of corporate shit. Michael Lang is a buffoon. Neither should be in charge of the welfare of thousands of concert goers. I’m glad ‘99 seems to have put them out of that business.
    this....is a very good point. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

I thought then and still do now, that the Limp Bizkit performance was the best of the 3 days.  I don't listen to them much anymore but that Faith song and the plywood.?  That is great stage performing.
    My husband had gone to a festival that LB played in 98. He said it was the same show, the same things said and, "We didn't tear the place apart." 

If they wanted people to sit back on the ground swaying and hugging each other, why did they book bands with big energy? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    deadendp said:

My husband had gone to a festival that LB played in 98. He said it was the same show, the same things said and, "We didn't tear the place apart." 

If they wanted people to sit back on the ground swaying and hugging each other, why did they book bands with big energy? 
    Ha, they touch on that in the doc.  They had zero clue who these bands were and only that they were big draws at that time.
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 786
    I haven't watched the doc, but I was there - and only have good memories.  I remember after getting home and hearing about all the issues and was a bit surprised since that wasn't my experience at all.  The exodus of Canadians from the camping area to the main stage on the Saturday morning to see the Hip was amazing.  
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
    LaFleur said:
    I haven't watched the doc, but I was there - and only have good memories.  I remember after getting home and hearing about all the issues and was a bit surprised since that wasn't my experience at all.  The exodus of Canadians from the camping area to the main stage on the Saturday morning to see the Hip was amazing.  
    That’s really interesting 

Based on the doc, this surprises me the most. Goes to show experience isn’t universal 
    LaFleur said:

Based on the doc, this surprises me the most. Goes to show experience isn’t universal 
    Yeah - and we had a pretty good group, 3 car loads drove down from Toronto if I remember right.  There were issues getting in and out of town/parking, and yeah it was hot and things were expensive.  But we brought most of what we needed in coolers (this must have been against the rules, but we had no hassle).  

We were there entire weekend...saw opening (James Brown!) and closing acts (RHCP) and most in between, bouncing around the stages depending.  Right up front for several bands....pretty much rail during the Hip and most of that afternoon.

I remember everyone being pretty chill and friendly.  

I remember the mud people, constant bucket drum session - we even hit the "rave" warehouse first night.  

Crowd reaction at end of RATM's set with the flag was something - pretty tense and remember people around us being pissed.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think we did luck into a good spot to camp being there pretty early.  We were near showers etc.  Lines were long, but didn't experience any overflowing crappers or any of that. 

After RHCP we walked back to camp, packed up and left (took most of the night to get out of town).  Think we saw a bit fire in the distance but honestly can't recall making too much of it.   Until got home and everyone was asking about the chaos...

I somehow made to my afternoon shift at work that Monday :)

Barrie - '98
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:

Ha, they touch on that in the doc.  They had zero clue who these bands were and only that they were big draws at that time.
    We laughed about that. The doc was COVID watching for me, so I watched it a few times. Now I have my husband watching it. 😁
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    edited August 2022
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

We laughed about that. The doc was COVID watching for me, so I watched it a few times. Now I have my husband watching it. 😁
    I’ll admit, I missed the days of no hygiene when you could roll around in mud which was really human poop and drink it in the water and no one cared (or at least no one knew)

all I could think today was superspreader event 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2022
    LaFleur said:
    LaFleur said:

Yeah - and we had a pretty good group, 3 car loads drove down from Toronto if I remember right.  There were issues getting in and out of town/parking, and yeah it was hot and things were expensive.  But we brought most of what we needed in coolers (this must have been against the rules, but we had no hassle).  

We were there entire weekend...saw opening (James Brown!) and closing acts (RHCP) and most in between, bouncing around the stages depending.  Right up front for several bands....pretty much rail during the Hip and most of that afternoon.

I remember the mud people, constant bucket drum session - we even hit the "rave" warehouse first night.  

Crowd reaction at end of RATM's set with the flag was something - pretty tense and remember people around us being pissed.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think we did luck into a good spot to camp being there pretty early.  We were near showers etc.  Lines were long, but didn't experience any overflowing crappers or any of that. 

After RHCP we walked back to camp, packed up and left (took most of the night to get out of town).  Think we saw a bit fire in the distance but honestly can't recall making too much of it.   Until got home and everyone was asking about the chaos...

What a boring fucking movie this would've been, huh. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895

Shit, I had no idea. I should have read more carefully. The Netflix doc mentioned nothing about them.  
    edited August 2022
    LaFleur said:
    LaFleur said:

I think this is what's largely absent from both the HBO and Netflix docs...people who had a good experience that weekend. It would be nice if there was more balance in the documentaries. I do think there's some credence to what Lang said at the press conference the morning after...that only a few assholes spoiled it (although from the footage, it seemed like it was more than just a few).
    Post edited by darthvedder on
    yes, the Hip went on in the afternoon. 
    it was pretty much right at noon, first act of the Saturday.  I remember that morning all the Canadians getting hyped in the camping area and then walking over to the stage on mass.  I got all they way up front.  Fun day. 
    Barrie - '98
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,834
    I have a bunch of concert stubs from the '90's with 'John Scher presents...' on them. Never really knew who he was, but he wins the award for the cringiest moment in the doc- when he tries to downplay the rape and sexual assault that took place. Like he almost tried to justify it.

eddiec said:
    I have a bunch of concert stubs from the '90's with 'John Scher presents...' on them. Never really knew who he was, but he wins the award for the cringiest moment in the doc- when he tries to downplay the rape and sexual assault that took place. Like he almost tried to justify it.

that was a really freaking bad take on it. I couldn't barely believe what i was watching. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,834
    eddiec said:

that was a really freaking bad take on it. I couldn't barely believe what i was watching. 
    Yeah, just say you're horrified that certain individuals behaved like that when it was supposed to be a festival of peace. Even if there are pending lawsuits and you can't admit the lack of security and crowd protection were your own fault, at least say something to condemn it. Watching him make up some rape per capita nonsense was pretty disgusting.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018