London UK
European Tour 2022
07/08/22
Show 1
Set List

intro music: All You Need Is Love-(Lennon, McCartney) 8:07

Band Onstage: 8:09
Band Offstage: 10:23

01. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) 1:00 music and lyrics
02. Low Light
03. Breath
04. Mind Your Manners
05. Save You
(Visibly shaken Ed says, “We don’t play that song very much and I realized the person we wrote it about we didn’t save.”)
06. Quick Escape/God Save The Queen-Matlock, Lydon, Cook, Jones {Sex Pistols} 25 seconds just the lines “No Future”
07. In Hiding
08. Retrograde
(for Donna Goggins and Carolyn)
09. Light Years
10. Even Flow
(Ed proposes defamation of the truth laws.  Thanks the audience for giving them a job where they can offer the truth to people.  Regrets not believing in a heaven or hell because there would be satisfaction in knowing gun manufacturers and sellers would be condemned there for all the atrocities they help foster)
11. Unthought Known
12. Daughter/Good Woman-Chan Marshall :40 seconds/WMA 2:16
13. Superblood Wolfmoon
14. Given To Fly
15. Public Image-Lydon, Levene, Wobble, Walker) Public Image cover
16. Once
(Ed compliments the crew for working during these Covid times.  He is happy to see that Dick Adams who worked for the band for decades and would literally carry Ed out of venues on his shoulder as though Ed were passed out.  He thanks Rod MacSween who has been putting on shows with the band for decade and talks about missing Alan Rogan, a guitar tech to all of Ed’s favorite players and wonderful human being who passed 3 years ago)
17. Porch

Encore Break
(Ed has the Sam and Nick from White Reaper come out so they can sing Happy Birthday to them and throw cake at them.  He has Simon Townshend play guitar for the song.  He introduces Simon and talks about how Simon helped him find his voice early on and how much he loved Simon’s solo albums)

18. I’m The Answer w/ Simon Townshend-(Simon Townshend)
19. Jeremy
(Not wanting to insult any audience they have played to in the UK but Ed thinks is this the best ever.  “I mean it,” he emphasizes.)
20. Indifference
21. Alive
22. Rocking In The Free World-(Young) (At one point Mike strays so far on the massive stage that his wireless guitar starts to drop out. Partway through the song, tennis great John McEnroe plays guitar)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• wozza77wozza77 Posts: 273
    Really good show and quite unexpected first 10 based on the tour and normal outdoor sets this size. 

I thought Ed was quite emotional to begin and maybe a little down. 

For those that moaned about rockin ending the show it was the perfect tempo considering what had gone before. Plus my boys first show and he loves that song. Yes I’ve seen it probably 10 times or more but it was definitely the right way to end. 
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    I thought that was fantastic - excellent set list up to the encore then a bit  crap but didn’t bring the vibe down. Ten club area is superb - upgrade if you have just GA..
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    edited July 2022
    I'd agree with the above when upgrading. The normal GA section wasn't great. Crowd were poor and I found the reaction interesting with the setlist, especially in the first section of the set. I was with two people who popped their Pearl Jam live virginity and while they loved it they were both entertaining the idea of upgrading tomorrow. I just wish I upgraded.

I loved Breath third, had the best time I could with the crowd around me. I thought the sound could have been better, but that's sometimes what you get with massive outdoor shows.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    The cellular network gets an F.  The show, B+.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    Show was great. It was my wife’s first PJ show and she loved it. 
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 268
    Superb show. One of the best I've seen. Breath at track 3 was outrageous. 
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,487
    Great set list not expected from a Hyde Park show. Some obscure tracks but amazing set. The gigaton tracks rock live! Crowd pleaser encore set as expected. Few mistakes in the set but made for a great atmosphere. See you there tomorrow!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Fuck yes! I get to say I was there for once this Europe tour! It bugged me to my core that I wasn’t going to be able to do any at all. Turned out, I was so lucky that I got to squeeze in a little trip at the fairly last minute and boy was I happy that I did!!! 
    What an amazing healing night tonight was! Can’t wait for tomorrow night! 

I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    That Betterman opener left everyone with a dropped jaw 😂😂😂😂
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    SOLAT319 said:

Yep, the openers have been so random and Breath just after it. The start was amazing, ending was ok. Looking forward to tomorrow. As always those TC tickets are just amazing
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    SOLAT319 said:
    Same breath as third song!!
    Was good to see u girl! 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • hadrieliahadrielia Posts: 123
    The band was really great, super good energy from all of them. Setlist felt I little bit weird at the beginning but I think it was more the crowd’s fault….Crowd in GA was dead even at the GA barrier at least on the left side. People was totally still even in evenflow, they were just instagraming the whole thing. Eventually we moved to the back to at least have some space to jump, although people really looked us weird because we were singing “too loud”. It was just what I was fearing from GA, i understand that not everybody feels music the same way but this was really disappointing. Anyways lets see if with some luck I get some 10c tickets at a fair price because upgrading today at the box office was imposible :neutral:
    06/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - Hammersmith Apollo - London /////  09/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - 3Arena - Dublin ///// 19/06/18 - Pearl Jam - O2 - London ////// 10/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Palau Sant Jordi - Barcelona ////// 12/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Mad Cool Festival - Madrid ////// 14/07/18 -Pearl Jam - NOS Alive Festival - Lisbon
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Boss level set list! Looking forward to the bootleg! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    Breath/In Hiding/Light Years/Unthought Known/Once/Jeremy Almost the perfect set except for song #15(Public Image)
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • DempsDemps Posts: 98
    edited July 2022
    Ended up traveling to the UK for work this week and stayed an extra night to catch the show. I'm honestly way past my expiration date on festivals but did want to see Pixies play beforehand, but work got in the way of that. I was in the GA area and it was mostly fine except that the sound was dogshit for a lot of the show, but as someone else mentioned, that is to be expected (though was not the case as I remember it with Global Citizens in Central Park in 2016). 

All that said, I'm really looking forward to the bootleg, because I think the setlist was really incredible and I can't wait to hear it with a proper mix. Loved the new stuff, but honestly had a lot of fun singing along to the well worn Ten hits when the crowd kicked in at the back end. I always (perhaps morbidly) think "What if something happens and this is the last time I ever see them? Will I be sad that I didn't hear Jeremy one more time?" to which the answer is always, "Of course, you idiot. Have fun." Length of the set didn't bother me - energy was there the whole time. 

Beautiful night all things considered. Oh, and I don't believe they have opened with "Retrograde" but that is an opener if I ever heard one. Surprised that hasn't been given the "Pendulum" treatment on this tour, honestly. And I forgot how much "Superblood Wolfmoon" borrows from "U" at the top and got really excited for a second.

Enjoy night two if you are going. 

PS - tagging "Daughter/WMA" with "Government stopped my daughter again" was a pretty sobering moment. 
    Post edited by Demps on
    I suggest you step out on your porch...run away my son...see it all...oh see the world...

Springfield, MA 4/6/94 -- Boston, MA 4/11/94 -- Hartford, CT 10/2/96 -- Hartford, CT 9/13/98 -- Mansfield, MA 7/2/03 -- Reading, PA 10/1/04 -- Albany, NY 5/12/06 -- Milwaukee, WI 6/29/06 -- Mansfield, MA 6/30/08 -- Toronto, ON 9/21/09 -- Philadelphia, PA 10/31/09 -- Worcester, MA 10/16/13 -- Hartford, CT 10/25/13 -- New York, NY 9/26/15 -- New York, NY 5/2/16 -- Boston, MA 8/5/16 -- Boston, MA 8/7/16 -- Boston, MA 9/2/18 -- Boston, MA 9/4/18 -- London, UK 7/8/22 -- Hamilton, ON 9/6/22 -- Toronto, ON 9/8/22 -- New York, NY 9/11/22 -- Chicago, IL 9/5/23 -- Chicago, IL 9/7/23
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    Watching the YouTube videos & what a kick ass show. Light Years is always a favourite 😍 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • 44waves44waves Posts: 2
    Its wild thats some people thought the sound wasnt great. We sat outside in the park (stage right by the accessible entrance) and the sound was crystal clear. We could see the top of the screen from there as well.
    Loved every minute from outside...but really cant wait to be inside tonight. 
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 584
    The sound was incredible last night. I thought the same for the Rolling Stones last Sunday too. Better than any UK Stadium.
    44waves said:
    Its wild thats some people thought the sound wasnt great. We sat outside in the park (stage right by the accessible entrance) and the sound was crystal clear. We could see the top of the screen from there as well.
    That's interesting because one of my friends moved further back and said the sound was great. Where I was, it sounded like it was dropping out, almost like the speakers weren't powerful enough.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    edited July 2022
    Absolutely magnificent last night, just the most beautiful and perfect occassion. We were chilling at the back of the 10c section where it started to thin out (too old to get involved!!), still a fantastic view and amazing sound. The dusk sky was so glorious over Hyde Park and I'm glad Eddie stopped to point it out and soak it in, wonderful. Great setlist and I think a superb balance to appeal to all types of fans. Light Years was very emotional and poignant, there were not many dry eyes around where we were and our hearts went out to Donna's family and friends, it was also my late Father-in-law's birthday yesterday so we felt it. The other big highlight for me was Breath, one of my all time favourites and I was very taken back when they started it!

Thank you PJ, it was worth the wait and so much more.

• southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    Wow, wow, wow! My 17th show and it was incredible. They sound as great as ever and the set was amazing. The setting was just as spectacular. The sound, lighting, the great oak tree, the new songs, the sky, the moon….all made for a perfect evening. Betterman opener, Breath, Save You, In Hiding, Light Years were all superb. I particularly loved Quick Escape, a powerful rendition and great live song. What an incredible night! Was upfront and pretty close to the stage. It was worth every mile travelled. Really looking forward to tonight’s set. The ten club area is fantastic. A truly amazing experience! 

rustedsigns
  • stef1885stef1885 Posts: 19
    Enjoyed the show last night, Breath is always good to hear - i seem to remember this was played at one of the London shows the last time they were here and it was a real surprise then as well.  I thought the first half of the set list was similar in tempo and it didn't really build, also EV mentioned several people that had died and paid tribute and so i guess maybe this had a effect on their approach to parts of the set.  Good to see the Donna tribute.  Evenflow, Alive - all played at their standard tempo which was a first for me in a while, i always seem to remember them being played at blistering speeds live.   Enjoyed it when EV considered climbing the fake tree on the stage and wisely decided against it considering the balcony antics of years ago :> Superblood Wolfmoon was excellent a real highlight.  As ever Mike was racing around the stage what a performer a real showman.  Also Josh Klinghoffer doing lots of what looked like backing percussion and vocals.  Eddie intro'd the band but i think forgot to mention Matt lol.  Anyway onto tonight, where i hope they open with a couple of real fast numbers to get the crowd going rather than waiting for a build over the set list.  
    1992-02-28 London England ULU
    1992-06-06 London England Finsbury Park
    1992-07-25 Denver, Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
    2007-06-18 London England Wembley
    2018-06-18 London O2
    2018-07-17 London O2
    2022-07-08 Hyde Park
    2022-07-09 Hyde Park
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    Beautiful night and a surprisingly great setlist for that type of environment. When they opened with Betterman, I figured it was going to be mostly greatest hits but Breath in the third slot certainly changed that. A very energetic performance the entire night. I was so happy to hear In Hiding and followed by Retrograde and then Light Years, that was a great trifecta. 

Even in the 10C section, people seemed a little thrown by the first hour of the show. Once Even Flow started, the audience kicked it up a notch. Hard to believe that they played to 65,000 people in a park and they left out Small Town and Corduroy. No doubt both of those will be played tonight, as well as Evolution and Black. Looking forward to night 2. 
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Last night was excellent. Great setlist covering most of the albums bar avocado. Loved light years, unthought known, save you. First time hearing breath which was cool. Only really downer was the cover with Townshend, keep that for solo shows. Public image was OK. 

Though the sound was low initially but gradually built up. Looking forward for Tonight's show. Should be alot different from last night. Actually don't mind the shorter sets, killer on the legs and back. Going to the Abba Show before hand. Can't wait for that too.
    Kearnsy
  • GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    Any reviews from the Hyde Away VIP area?
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Was great to hear the War Pigs lick during Alive for the first time in a long time. Also… got a pick!!!!!
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    A guy bashed into me and my nose got cut, which was pretty frustrating. He then shoved me into the head aggressively. Pearl Jam were great though.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • wozza77wozza77 Posts: 273
    44waves said:
    That's interesting because one of my friends moved further back and said the sound was great. Where I was, it sounded like it was dropping out, almost like the speakers weren't powerful enough.

I was half way back and it’s the best sound I’ve ever heard at Hyde park. Both pj and pixies were crystal clear from middle. 
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
    Was great to hear the War Pigs lick during Alive for the first time in a long time. Also… got a pick!!!!!
    Also loved the Sex Pistols tag at the end of Quick Escape
    2012 – Manchester II
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    A guy bashed into me and my nose got cut, which was pretty frustrating. He then shoved me into the head aggressively. Pearl Jam were great though.
    Ouch! 

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018