Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,112
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

It sounds to me like what Bezos really wants to say is, "Mr President. don't ask the oil companies to stop gouging consumers.  That would be to unusual for business as usual!"

Before oil cos pay taxes, that’s about 9 percent profit on the price of gas. It’s something, but gas would still be sky high expensive. Grandstanding by both of them . If we were Saudi, we’d at least be getting free education and healthcare plus a not so small stipend from energy, but in a capitalist society, we get to see the wealthy corporations get wealthier.

Not sure why Americans can’t see the different systems for what they are. If you are creative and make a billion, so be it. But if you are providing an essential like energy, it sounds like gouging.

So if the anger is at folks like Bezos who benefited beyond their wildest dreams from the system, why is that anger misplaced?
    I agree. This is just part of the hypocritical relationship with capitalism.

coming from someone who founded and heads what has become a behemoth that seems to have a dictatorial relationship with its "partner" vendors selling on his site, I'd rather he keep his opinion to himself.
    Valid, but my point is that if it weren't Bezos, there would be another person behind another behemoth - because that's what capitalism tends to permit and produce. We tend to flout capitalism like some sort of system that 'occasionally' produces these realities. Then, when a company becomes 'indispensable' (i.e. part of day to day life), we condemn the collection of wealth and talk about some implicit responsibility back to society of low prices. To me, it seems a flawed assumption to make that that transaction would be bidirectional and/or proportional.

hmm, but when its fossil fuel energy, theres HUGE pushback to alternative forms and protective measures taken by Gov entities, not to mention the subsidies and the like all for THEIR and their shareholders profit. Deliberate restricting of supply to increase profit for shareholders and themselves , I take exception to.

Bezos manipulated the system to create a near monopoly for himself,  but let's say that's distinct from my point. Regarding essentials like energy, capitalism creates a system that promotes and rewards gouging, and its disgusting to see a billionaire who also rigs the system for self benefit,  complaining.
    How did he manipulate the system and how is it a monopoly?  You can't shop in a store?   You can't go to walmart.com which carries products in exactly the same way as Amazon? His 'monopoly' was created because he was faster to market and had a better product than the others.  Anyone can compete.  There's not some crazy barrier to market that the other players can't breach.  

Anyone trying to compete with Amazons online sale marketplace gets crushed by its active attempt to either absorb competition or put it out of business. (referring to companies trying to have an online presence, either on their own or on Amazons platform).

I'm trying not to complain too much, as I am a customer. But we can post tons of links of amazons anticompetitive practices that are almost never addressed by regulation. 

But my point was accepting that all as nearly reasonable, its putrid to see someone benefitting so much by the system crying about the gouging and manipulation the energy markets promote. 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

It sounds to me like what Bezos really wants to say is, "Mr President. don't ask the oil companies to stop gouging consumers.  That would be to unusual for business as usual!"

Before oil cos pay taxes, that’s about 9 percent profit on the price of gas. It’s something, but gas would still be sky high expensive. Grandstanding by both of them . If we were Saudi, we’d at least be getting free education and healthcare plus a not so small stipend from energy, but in a capitalist society, we get to see the wealthy corporations get wealthier.

Not sure why Americans can’t see the different systems for what they are. If you are creative and make a billion, so be it. But if you are providing an essential like energy, it sounds like gouging.

So if the anger is at folks like Bezos who benefited beyond their wildest dreams from the system, why is that anger misplaced?
    I agree. This is just part of the hypocritical relationship with capitalism.

coming from someone who founded and heads what has become a behemoth that seems to have a dictatorial relationship with its "partner" vendors selling on his site, I'd rather he keep his opinion to himself.
    Valid, but my point is that if it weren't Bezos, there would be another person behind another behemoth - because that's what capitalism tends to permit and produce. We tend to flout capitalism like some sort of system that 'occasionally' produces these realities. Then, when a company becomes 'indispensable' (i.e. part of day to day life), we condemn the collection of wealth and talk about some implicit responsibility back to society of low prices. To me, it seems a flawed assumption to make that that transaction would be bidirectional and/or proportional.

hmm, but when its fossil fuel energy, theres HUGE pushback to alternative forms and protective measures taken by Gov entities, not to mention the subsidies and the like all for THEIR and their shareholders profit. Deliberate restricting of supply to increase profit for shareholders and themselves , I take exception to.

Bezos manipulated the system to create a near monopoly for himself,  but let's say that's distinct from my point. Regarding essentials like energy, capitalism creates a system that promotes and rewards gouging, and its disgusting to see a billionaire who also rigs the system for self benefit,  complaining.
    How did he manipulate the system and how is it a monopoly?  You can't shop in a store?   You can't go to walmart.com which carries products in exactly the same way as Amazon? His 'monopoly' was created because he was faster to market and had a better product than the others.  Anyone can compete.  There's not some crazy barrier to market that the other players can't breach.  

Anyone trying to compete with Amazons online sale marketplace gets crushed by its active attempt to either absorb competition or put it out of business. (referring to companies trying to have an online presence, either on their own or on Amazons platform).

I'm trying not to complain too much, as I am a customer. But we can post tons of links of amazons anticompetitive practices that are almost never addressed by regulation. 

But my point was accepting that all as nearly reasonable, its putrid to see someone benefitting so much by the system crying about the gouging and manipulation the energy markets promote. 
    I see what you were getting at - sorry for taking us down a windy road there :) 

Agreed, he's practicing what he preaches against.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

Amazon has cornered the online market, impeding the ability of small businesses to operate independently and blocking them from having direct relationships with their customers

Amazon steals independent businesses’ best ideas and innovations

Amazon imposes high fees on sellers, putting them at risk of going under.

Amazon compels sellers to buy its warehousing and shipping services, even though many would get a better deal from other delivery providers.

Amazon blocks independent businesses from offering lower prices on other sites.

Amazon strong-arms small brands, destabilizing their businesses and making it harder for them to grow and develop new products.

Amazonshutsdownsmallbusinesseswithoutdueprocess

Amazon is not only a near monopoly as an online marketplace, it’s essential to recall they use their vertical powers to crush horizontal competition. I guess some are just too accustomed to how far we strayed from Mr. Smith

Correct me, but it’s not putrid to see Bezos complaining about “market dynamics?”

• Options
    Been awhile since we asked Adam to join us here at AMT. Perfect date for it,

…Men of inferior wealth combine to defend those of superior wealth in the possession of their property, in order that men of superior wealth may combine to defend them in the possession of theirs. All the inferior shepherds and herdsmen feel that the security of their own herds and flocks depends upon the security of those of the great shepherd or herdsman; that the maintenance of their lesser authority depends upon that of his greater authority, and that upon their subordination to him depends his power of keeping their inferiors in subordination to them. They constitute a sort of little nobility, who feel themselves interested to defend the property and to support the authority of their own little sovereign in order that he may be able to defend their property and to support their authority. Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defence of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.”
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674

Amazon has cornered the online market, impeding the ability of small businesses to operate independently and blocking them from having direct relationships with their customers

Amazon compels sellers to buy its warehousing and shipping services, even though many would get a better deal from other delivery providers.

Amazon strong-arms small brands, destabilizing their businesses and making it harder for them to grow and develop new products.

Amazon is not only a near monopoly as an online marketplace, it’s essential to recall they use their vertical powers to crush horizontal competition. I guess some are just too accustomed to how far we strayed from Mr. Smith

Correct me, but it’s not putrid to see Bezos complaining about “market dynamics?”

A big part of the problem is the buyers.  First of all, a huge numbers of people don't care about any of the things you listed.  That's what Amazon is so big.  Too many people are cheap and short sighted.  But also, I believe there are many who are simply not aware that what you are saying is true. 

To anyone here who shops on Amazon:  I am not trying to shame you by saying the above.  I'm speaking in generalities, but I believe what I said is true.   I think a lot of people just don't understand how destructive Amazon is.  If you shop on Amazon, please re-consider. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    brianlux said:

A big part of the problem is the buyers.  First of all, a huge numbers of people don't care about any of the things you listed.  That's what Amazon is so big.  Too many people are cheap and short sighted.  But also, I believe there are many who are simply not aware that what you are saying is true. 

To anyone here who shops on Amazon:  I am not trying to shame you by saying the above.  I'm speaking in generalities, but I believe what I said is true.   I think a lot of people just don't understand how destructive Amazon is.  If you shop on Amazon, please re-consider. 
    Well yes.  So in other words everyone has a problem with Amazon being able to provide a superior service at a cheaper price.  And what he's saying is no different than any other business would try to do in a similar situation, with a similarly brilliant business plan.  And none of Lex's criticism violate any part of the Sherman Act. Offending your sensibilities or thinking something is 'unfair' doesn't make it so.  

And here's the really dirty little secret that I'd challenge anyone on.  Amazon pays it people, from lower level to upper level, more than a small business owner would pay for a similar service and Amazon provides substantially better benefits than a small business.  No offense to those small business owners, but I have yet to see where small businesses compensate better than large corp for similar services on a consistent basis.  Sure you can find an example here and there, but by and large corps provide better compensation, benefits, work/life balance, severance plans, etc.   

So better product, better pay, better benefits.. yet Amazon is the bad guy.  Who exactly is the good guy here?  
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Well yes.  So in other words everyone has a problem with Amazon being able to provide a superior service at a cheaper price.  And what he's saying is no different than any other business would try to do in a similar situation, with a similarly brilliant business plan.  And none of Lex's criticism violate any part of the Sherman Act. Offending your sensibilities or thinking something is 'unfair' doesn't make it so.  

And here's the really dirty little secret that I'd challenge anyone on.  Amazon pays it people, from lower level to upper level, more than a small business owner would pay for a similar service and Amazon provides substantially better benefits than a small business.  No offense to those small business owners, but I have yet to see where small businesses compensate better than large corp for similar services on a consistent basis.  Sure you can find an example here and there, but by and large corps provide better compensation, benefits, work/life balance, severance plans, etc.   

So better product, better pay, better benefits.. yet Amazon is the bad guy.  Who exactly is the good guy here?  

You already know how I feel about Amazon, M, so I'm not going to argue, but I will answer your question:  Many independent retailers.  I've worked for a few of them and the past and and still have my own independent used book business.  Until last year, my wife co-owned and managed a used bookstore for 38 years and she is literally loved by all her former employees, most of whom still keep in touch with her.   I also (as you probably remember) manage a small used record section at out local used bookstore. 

That's all I'm going to say here.  Seeing as the net result is basically always the same, I should have known better than to get into a discussion about Amazon. Sorry about that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

You already know how I feel about Amazon, M, so I'm not going to argue, but I will answer your question:  Many independent retailers.  I've worked for a few of them and the past and and still have my own independent used book business.  Until last year, my wife co-owned and managed a used bookstore for 38 years and she is literally loved by all her former employees, most of whom still keep in touch with her.   I also (as you probably remember) manage a small used record section at out local used bookstore. 

That's all I'm going to say here.  Seeing as the net result is basically always the same, I should have known better than to get into a discussion about Amazon. Sorry about that.
    Brian,  I understand why you don't like Amazon.  I hope you can understand why others do like it.  

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Cmon Bri, the point is to discuss!

I like the service Amazon provides, however, when they beat up on other sellers with their logistics business, thats when I disagree with their actions. They are using their marketplace power to leverage their vertical/ supply chain business. 

And the point I was trying to make, as a customer i agree their service is good, bit its rich hearing bezos complain about free markets, as Amazon is using its power to destroy no only its horizontal (seller ) competition,  but the vertical (logistics and fufillment) as well .
  • Options
    "Be better by being better, not by being an arse to the competition"
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I like the service Amazon provides, however, when they beat up on other sellers with their logistics business, thats when I disagree with their actions. They are using their marketplace power to leverage their vertical/ supply chain business. 

And the point I was trying to make, as a customer i agree their service is good, bit its rich hearing bezos complain about free markets, as Amazon is using its power to destroy no only its horizontal (seller ) competition,  but the vertical (logistics and fufillment) as well .
    I don't think Bezos should be commenting on this, but not because he's rich or took advantage of the system.  I just don't think he knows what is happening internally at oil companies regarding pricing right now.  Although it would not surprise me if Bezos was preparing for some sort of independent candidacy for something. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Brian,  I understand why you don't like Amazon.  I hope you can understand why others do like it.  

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Guys, it's too personal an issue for me and I should not have gotten into it.  Also, I respect you both and don't want to get into something of this nature with either of you.
    Also, I would note that my not liking Amazon is not something that would stop me caring about anybody, including you two.  My own big sister- one of the people I care for most in this world- uses Amazon.  She knows how I feel, but she has her own reasons for doing what she does.  I don't hold it against her, but also I just don't talk to her about it.
    Carry on good fellows!

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,992
    edited July 2022
    I assume most people feel the way I do about Amazon. I’m not excited about them, I’m not happy for  them when they put someone else out of business. Everyone wants to cheer for the little guy. But at the end of the day, if I can get something delivered to my door, often even same day now, for less than it costs me to go to the store and get it, I’m probably going to do it. Based on how popular Amazon is, seems like most people agree.
    And good for you Brian for not using them (I mean that, it’s not sarcasm) it’s just too cheap and too easy for me not to. 2 days ago I had to replace a phone Jack cover. I saw online it was $3.98 at lowes, or for $3.22 I can get it on Amazon and delivered overnight, before I’d even have a chance to go to Lowes. We’re moving today, so didn’t really want to spend the hour it would take to drive to Lowes, find the right isle, find the right product and hope it’s actually in stock and drove home. It’s too hard not to use them sometimes.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Another example of Dems being terrible at politics. Yesterday was a perfect example for Biden to respond to the angry father of a parkland victim, “if you all want more gun regulations, you all need to vote for more democrats. 

Biden hosted hundreds of people at the White House, including bipartisan lawmakers and the families of victims of gun violence, to mark the new law. But during his remarks, the president was interrupted by Manuel Oliver, whose son Joaquin was one of 17 people killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.  

“What we’re doing here today is real. It’s vivid. It’s relevant. The action we take today is a step designed to make our nation the kind of nation we should be," Biden said. 

"Today is many things. It’s proof that, despite the nay-sayers, we can make meaningful progress on dealing with gun violence,” Biden added at the event before shouts were heard from the crowd.  

“Sit down. You’ll hear what I have to say,” Biden said, before Oliver could be heard yelling “We have to do more than that.”  

“Let him talk,” Biden added, as Secret Service agents appeared to approach Oliver.  

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    if schumer were lbj, he would be dragging manchin a sinema up and down pennsylvania avenue publicly until they got in line. what good is a majority leader that cannot even get his party in line? schumer is a national embarrassment.
    I'm geniunly curious about something, not just for you gimme, but anyone....when repubs vote down party lines, we decry it as partisanship, and plead that they should vote what's right for america, not the party/their careers. but then on the flip side, we expect democrats to "fall in line". why is that?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    if schumer were lbj, he would be dragging manchin a sinema up and down pennsylvania avenue publicly until they got in line. what good is a majority leader that cannot even get his party in line? schumer is a national embarrassment.
    I'm geniunly curious about something, not just for you gimme, but anyone....when repubs vote down party lines, we decry it as partisanship, and plead that they should vote what's right for america, not the party/their careers. but then on the flip side, we expect democrats to "fall in line". why is that?
    Because Dems are usually trying to do what’s best for the country or the greatest majority of its citizens. Now, that may very well be a matter of opinion but repubs have been the party of no, and no alternatives, for the past decade, while stifling debate and not allowing compromise. ACA and BBB come to mind.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475

Maybe because letting republicans burn our federal government to the ground is bad for America? 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Maybe because letting republicans burn our federal government to the ground is bad for America? 
    ironically, this has been a republican talking point for several years now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Because Dems are usually trying to do what’s best for the country or the greatest majority of its citizens. Now, that may very well be a matter of opinion but repubs have been the party of no, and no alternatives, for the past decade, while stifling debate and not allowing compromise. ACA and BBB come to mind.

Not saying this is what’s above but…Starting to see this line of attack against Biden from the left leaning news networks, that he is not transformational, not accomplishing what LBJ or  FDR did. Do they just hire anyone to speak on the tv? How about hiring me, Im just some dude sitting in my backyard, but I know offhand those two former presidents had huge majorities in congress and Biden has a 50/50 Senate and just a handful of more Dems in the house.

From my point earlier  biden had the perfect response lined up when attacked by the parkland parent victim yesterday , vote for more Dems and see what we can do. That’s how the opposition handles it.

The 89th United States Congress was a meeting of the legislative branch of the United States federal government, composed of the United States Senate and the United States House of Representatives. It met in Washington, DC from January 3, 1965, to January 3, 1967, during the second and third years of Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency. The apportionment of seats in the House of Representatives was based on the Eighteenth Census of the United States in 1960.

Both chambers had a Democratic supermajority, and with the election of President Lyndon B. Johnson to his own term in office, maintained an overall federal government trifecta.

Through several stretches the majority wasn’t just filibuster-proof but practically opposition-proof. For example, in 1937 FDR had 76 of 96 seats in the US Senate that were of the same party he was (Democrat). In addition, he had 331 of the 433 members of the House in his party, too. 

• Options
    speaking of talking heads on tv, Joe just had on a Ms. Elrod, a former chief of staff of the DCCC, a major campaign group for Dems in the house. I mean, that’s a fairly big job in national politics? She claimed the new polling for trump is 49% among republicans, and it’s not enough because for sure it’s coming down.

Does Ms Elrod know that gop primaries are winner take all, and in 2016 only 35% was enough for him to dominate early the primaries? Does she realize once he announces he is running and starts up the misinformation and bully campaign, his popularity will rise? Even if it stays the same, 49% is likely enough? Seems she was only interested in scoring political points against trump. Not seeing the danger. Overconfidence. History repeating.
  • Options
    speaking of talking heads on tv, Joe just had on a Ms. Elrod, a former chief of staff of the DCCC, a major campaign group for Dems in the house. I mean, that’s a fairly big job in national politics? She claimed the new polling for trump is 49% among republicans, and it’s not enough because for sure it’s coming down.

Does Ms Elrod know that gop primaries are winner take all, and in 2016 only 35% was enough for him to dominate early the primaries? Does she realize once he announces he is running and starts up the misinformation and bully campaign, his popularity will rise? Even if it stays the same, 49% is likely enough? Seems she was only interested in scoring political points against trump. Not seeing the danger. Overconfidence. History repeating.

That history repeating itself is a scary, scary thought!

• Options

I think her point would be that the percentage of support among the base is falling and falling fast.  The committee is absolutely damaging him.  And we are two years away from a convention.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I think her point would be that the percentage of support among the base is falling and falling fast.  The committee is absolutely damaging him.  And we are two years away from a convention.  

Two years for the maga army memories to fade. The insiders got overconfident about trump losing in 2016, yet here we are again.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    mrussel1 said:

Two years for the maga army memories to fade. The insiders got overconfident about trump losing in 2016, yet here we are again.

We're 28 months out from the next presidential election. 

Get a fucking grip. 
  • Options
    History doesn’t fucking repeat itself? He is beating DeSantis.
  • Options
    Damn you Brandon!

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I sure hope you are right, M.  Man, I sure hope you are right!

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,700
    Damn you Brandon!

Lol. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

I sure hope you are right, M.  Man, I sure hope you are right!

I hope Russ is right too, but my point was it doesn’t take a high percentage to win the gop nom, based on how their delegates are awarded. A technical point. For that, somewhere on this page, I got f bombed :)
  • Options
    Need to cut federal spending? Let’s start in WV. Let’s also slow walk SS deposits and make sure those tax refunds in WV zip codes take just a little longer to be deposited, maybe get “lost” for a few. Manchurian Joe is a team playa, yo!

Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) told Democratic leaders Thursday he would not support an economic package that contains new spending on climate change or new tax increases targeting wealthy individuals and corporations, marking a massive setback for party lawmakers who had hoped to advance a central element of their agenda before the midterm elections this fall.

The major shift in negotiations — confirmed by two people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the talks — threatened to upend the delicate process to adopt the party’s signature economic package seven months after Manchin scuttled the original, roughly $2 trillion Build Back Better Act, which President Biden had endorsed.

But Manchin told Democratic leaders he is open to provisions that aim to lower prescription drug costs for seniors, the two people said. And the West Virginia moderate expressed support with Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), the party’s chief negotiator, for extending subsidies that could help keep health insurance costs down for millions of Americans, one of the sources said.

Brilliantati©